Menu

funny things they say, thanks to all the read alouds

fdrinca

My kids have such a funny, affected way of speaking, which I attribute to all of our read-alouds and the lack of television. So, for example, my 5-year-old just made a case for a fancy handkerchief: "I really need a handkerchief so that I can bury my head in it when I am weeping so I can muffle my sobs and be forlorn in private."

It takes all of my will not to laugh when she speaks like this, because if I did laugh she'd stop right away. 

What funny things are your kids saying?

My kids have always said, "actually" a lot from a very young age. It's not that strange but I've noticed that other kids don't say it the way they do. Dh says it. :)

My 7 yo says, "literally" a lot when she's trying to explain something or make a point.

When my dd had her surgery and was on morphine, she screamed at the top of her lungs, "The doctors and nurses are cruel, cruel, I tell you!" or something very much like that, again and again. She was in terrible pain and out of her mind with the meds, but the way she expressed it was very interesting, and I attributed it to read-alouds.

My 4 yo has taken to saying "of course" instead of yes.

"Would you like to play outside" "Of course I would mum"

"Can you get me your shoes" "Of course"

"Do you want a peanut butter sandwich". "Of course I would"

It's totally cute and I hope he never stops lol.

Not from books but from living in another country (Australia) when he was little... It used to just crack me up to hear my youngest say

"Pardon me while I go put the rubbish in the bin."  

or if it was getting too loud

"May we have a bit of 'shush' please?"

My 7 yo says, "literally" a lot when she's trying to explain something or make a point.

My also do this.

I find they also us lots of words that make me want to hug them and tell them, "you are so cute".

Today my boys were playing times attack. You have a character who has to chase some spiders around and pick them up. Eldest said, "be quick and collect the spiders before they scuttle under that electrified fence."

I commented on eldest saying scuttle. He replied, "what else could I say, they are scuttling". (he may have also said "most certainly".

My DD when she was around 2 or 3 would answer a "would you like an apple?" type question with "yes, eventually".   Unfortunately at that age she didn't speak clearly.   My aunt or someone kept asking "what is she saying?"   When I translated it as 'eventually' she totally cracked up.   She said she had never heard of a little kids saying eventually.  

Not from books but from living in another country (Australia) when he was little... It used to just crack me up to hear my youngest say

Did he go to school here? Seriously if I had a dollar for every time I heard one of my teachers say that last phrase LOL. The only people I know that say that in everyday life are also teachers by profession.

Did he go to school here? Seriously if I had a dollar for every time I heard one of my teachers say that last phrase LOL. The only people I know that say that in everyday life are also teachers by profession.

No, he was too little to start school. We moved back to the States when he was 3. But, his siblings would say it and he picked it up. THEY heard it in school. 

I haven't heard any of the kids say it in quite awhile. I miss it.

My kids are famous among my friends for certain words they use:

-Delightful (both dds, not sure exactly where they picked it up exactly, but sounds natural, I don't think I say it that much :laugh: ). As in "what a delightful day". DH about spit his tea out the 1st time dd3 used it when she was just under 2yo.

- Lovely (they use it instead of pretty) as in "what a lovely dress" or "oh yes that would be lovely" when asked if they would like more milk

- Rambunctious - no idea, DS9 uses it a lot

- splendid: as in "we had a splendid day" and "what a splendid idea mom"

- pray used for please (ok I do this): as in "pray tell me how I am suppose to clean this marker of the table?" :glare:

and DS 9 is famous for using this when asking questions "do you really truly _______, do you??" :lol: want a cookie, love me, want to play connect4....you get the idea

there are more, I have to think on it....

ok, now reading that list, I have NO idea how that happened. I do read a lot myself , so maybe that influences it :lol: . But I didn't do it on purpose, kwim?

When ds 1 was little, I would hear him playing with his Playmobils, saying stuff like, " 'Walk the plank,' said the captain menacingly."  That was back when he was in first grade and I was worried we weren't doing enough school. I realized later that all that reading aloud and free play formed the basis for his writing ability later, especially with fiction and dialog. What cracked me up was the "...said the captain menacingly" parts.

My 6 year old says "literally", "perhaps" and ends sentences with "after all" - e.g. It is not raining today "after all". What cracked me up was DS playing with his bath toys and making up a story where 2 bad guys who were bath toys "paired up to wreak havoc on the planet".

Oh thank god, I thought it was just mine, lol.  There's not any one thing she says that's especially weird, but dd talks like a book sounds from all the books she reads.  Like when she meets a new kid, instead of saying, "Hi, I'm so-and-so," like a normal kid, she holds out her hand and says, "Hello, my name is so-and-so, and it's very nice to meet you.  Would you like to be my friend?"  The kids look at her like she's nuts and the moms burst out laughing.  Or if I ask her what she wants to drink, I get something like, "I think perhaps I shall have a glass of milk."

What's really funny is when she tries out some giant new word she just read and gets the context completely wrong. :D  That cracks me up.  She did that the other day, but I can't remember exactly what she said.  Something about whether or not I was "feeling very immediateness."

Leaving the grandparents at Christmas, dd was crying and grandma gave her a hug and said "parting is such sweet sorrow. Do you know where that's from?"

9yo still crying, "yes, anne of green gables."

Grandma, "do you know where before that?"

Dd, "Shakespeare, boo, hoo, hoo. "

Homeschoolers.

Another great one: just got into one of those arguments you have with 3-year-olds, where my son insisted that there is no word "climbed," but it's "clambered." 

Me: Bruno (the cat) just climbed up there.

3 Year Old: Mama, he clambered up there.

Me: You can say climbed, too. It's a word.

3 Year Old: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've been reading "The Long Winter", my 4 year old wanted to know if we had enough kerosene for our lights.

My kids use "actually" and "perhaps" in their every day conversations, I always get comments from others about it. Those are words I don't use often.

My son kept saying "ahoy matie" when playing with a LEGO set today, I think it came from "Peter Pan" but I'm not sure.

My kids also use "actually" a lot. My ds6 has been using "outstanding" quite a bit lately as in, "I'm feeling outstanding today!" He also has been using "oughtn't" a fair bit. My dd8 keeps coming out with "Goodness gracious!" every time she's surprised or shocked by something.

Non Australians don't say shush? I am Australian, married to an American raising a son in the US. He certainly gets a lot of oddities from me. He often say "May I please have....."

My son says actually, perhaps, indubitably, quite often. I talk like that. I didn't realise that it is in direct relation to a lot of vintage texts we read. I just thought he got it from me.

When he was barely 3 he put a towel around his head and told me that his bonnet was superfluous as he was neither going to bed (little house on the prairie) or going out in the cold (Jemima puddle duck).

Non Australians don't say shush? I am Australian, married to an American raising a son in the US. He certainly gets a lot of oddities from me. He often say "May I please have....."

Growing up, I often heard "Shush up!" pronounced like hush but with an sh sound in the beginning. I assumed it was Pennsylvania Dutch. It was always said in a rather stern tone meaning quiet now or you're in big trouble.

I never heard it pronounced shush ( like the double o vowel sound in book) until I lived in Australia. I certainly never heard 'a bit of shush' which sounds very sweet and polite to my American ears. 

Growing up, I often heard "Shush up!" pronounced like hush but with an sh sound in the beginning. I assumed it was Pennsylvania Dutch. It was always said in a rather stern tone meaning quiet now or you're in big trouble.

I never heard it pronounced shush ( like the double o vowel sound in book) until I lived in Australia. I certainly never heard 'a bit of shush' which sounds very sweet and polite to my American ears. 

I've heard it both ways up here and fairly regularly. Oddly I have only ever hear shush with a short u when it's being said sternly. I've heard shush like book said in much more gentle and polite tones.

I love this thread! My kids are constantly cracking me up with their choices of words. DS (6) recently said "mom, you gave me such a start!" when I entered the room. They call each other "idiot" a lot which is from Harry Potter and/or Peter and the Star Catchers. That one I'd like to see disappear. Ds narrates all of his playmobil play. That is just hysterical. :)

Kind-of the same vein but today I was reading & a character was eating grapes, spitting out the seeds. My children were at first laughing at the thought of grapes with seeds and then horrified that it was true.

Ok, not really the same at all but at least it had to do with reading aloud.

"Oh bother!" Is used quite frequently here by all. There was one time when ds was at swimming lessons (he was six at the time)and said it, and his teacher stopped for a second and looked at him and said, "did you just say oh bother"???"

Then there was the time that ds complained that dd2 kept on interrupting his thoughts with her tirades. She was innocently singing jingle bells.  :lol: