Menu

What went wrong? Melting chocolate

Pegasus

DD wanted to make peanut butter balls and dip them in chocolate. We only had chocolate chips so we tried melting them in the microwave, 20 seconds at a time, and stirring.  The chips melted but became a thick paste, never a lovely liquid chocolate.  Extra microwaving just made it thicker.  So, figuring that we overcooked them, we then tried to melt some in a small metal bowl in a pot of water on the stove.  Again, as the chips warmed, they melted but never got thin enough to dip things into. We ended up spooning some of the chocolate paste onto the top of the pb balls - they look like they are each wearing a bad toupee.

So, are we using the wrong kind of chocolate?  She wants to make these treats again next week to take to her dance class so we'd like that batch to turn out pretty.

Thanks.

Oh, I should add that the only thing we added to the chips for melting was a small amount of butter. Was that a mistake?

I have never had luck with the microwave but a double boiler works every time.  I've tried every kind of chip and never had a problem and i don't add anything to them.  Did you try to remelt the same chips from the microwave in the double boiler?  I think once they were over cooked in the microwave you can't really do anything with them.  If they were different chips perhaps it was the metal bowl?  I usually use a (tempered) glass bowl and have always had luck.

I appreciate all the ideas. These were Aldi brand chips.  They taste fine but maybe they just don't melt well.  I did use new chips when I switched to using the metal bowl over water. I don't have an actual double-boiler so I improvised.

I think I will pick up some Nestle chips and maybe some almond bark for our next attempt.  I welcome any additional input.

Thank you.

The butter is what ruined the chocolate

Butter has water in it and chocolate is 'allergic' to water--- water will make it thicken.  Milk/cream will have the same effect-- add to melted chocolate and you get ganache (a fudgy icing).

Either purchase a bark or a chocolate already formulated for dipping or add a small amount of parafin or shortening to your chocolate chips.

I always use cream or butter and it works out just fine. The reason for that is because I usually am making a ganache: http://www.ehow.com/how_2174376_make-ganache.html

and fwiw chips aren't the best to use when melting

If you add enough liquid (cream or butter), all of the chocolate molecules get coated and it makes a sauce. If you add just a little, the water in the butter will cause it to seize. Solid shortening does not contain water and is solid at room temperature, so it can be used to loosen chocolate for dipping and the chocolate will harden once it cools. I use chocolate chips (usually Ghirardelli or Trader Joe's) to melt for dipping and either add shortening or good quality white chocolate chips that have a high cocoa butter content. You can throw in Wilton candy coating chips or almond bark to get that melty consistency. Or use all candy coating/almond bark, but it won't taste as good.

There's a Good Eats episode where a food scientist explains seizing really well.

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/season1/Chocolate/ChocolateTranscript.htm

AB: So, Shirley, what's the deal? What happened to my chocolate?

SHIRLEY CORRIHER: It's called seizing and it happens when you've got dry, dry particle—and that's what we got in chocolate—dry, dry particles in this rich, rich fat cocoa butter. A tiny bit of moisture glues these dry particles together. Let me just show you with the sugar here. If you put a lot of water in, it dissolves. No lumps. But, if you take your spoon and stir your coffee and have just a little water look at all these clump, lump, lumps.

AB: So, how do I fix it?

SC: More liquid ...

AB: Okay.

SC: ... and it will all be all right.

Modern chocolate chips are usually formatted so they won't melt easily (because they're used in cookies so they don't want them to melt too easily and merge with the dough before it sets). That's why melting chocolate bars works better than chips. 

The chips will melt, but the results are usually uneven. Putting in a fat (cream or oil) and some heat should work, but sometimes you can make it seize or scorch the darn thing before it all works out. It's easier to just buy the Ghiradelli (or other favorite chocolate) bars.