Menu

S/oPresents your AL gets/wants that no one else would understand

Dmmetler

Spun off the "Things they say" post about the little boy who is excited about being able to learn atomic weights while he showers :).

DD's favorite birthday present-a detailed field guide to the Reptiles/Amphibians of AR-autographed to her by the compiler, a college professor at University of Arkansas.

DD's probable favorite Christmas present-a field study kit. Sensitive digital scale, tape measure, digital camera, snake hook, gloves, waterproof field journal and boots ;). My mother is giving her the camera, the rest is coming from us.

I caught DS muttering on the couch this morning. I asked him what he was telling himself, and he diffidently replied that he was asking Santa for a chess set. Folding travel board, with club pieces, spots to put the pieces for storage, and made of beautiful wood. Santa brought his first board two years ago...I think Santa might hear this request for an upgrade. :)

Miss E is only a little weird that way.  One year she only asked for underwear.  Last year she wanted Diary of a Wimpy Kid and this year, she asked for the entire series of Magic Treehouse books and research guides.  I'm just glad it wasn't Captain Underpants.

I do believe my kids have been influenced by their friends.  Their list this year is rather generic.

Though Miss E was excited to get glasses this month.  She hoped very hard that they would make her look like a nerd.

Dd was very excited about beast academy last year. My in-laws seemed a bit confused about why I gave her a math book and more confused about her excitement.

This year she wants a hand generator she played with at a science class, a catapult making kit she is excited about after taking a class on siege machines and various other books & science, history or math things. She also wants an America Girl doll which we will probably let her get with money from grandparents after Christmas.

My DD is only 3 and just plain doesn't know about most of the stuff that exists, or she'd want a lot more! She begged for six months for a microscope and was SO THRILLED to get one recently. I upgraded my iPad at the Black Friday sales and she got my hand-me-down. A normal enough want, I suppose, but it's loaded with educational games and she is thrilled. She's also super happy that I ordered RightStart B so she has more "math games" and that the next Life of Fred book is on its way!

Yes- the crack your own geodes kit were fabulous here too!  DS 14 this year wanted a new computer with all sorts of specifications so he can program certain apps.  One year my DD wanted her own giraffe,not one from a zoo, but we should "rescue" one just like we rescued our dog.  Several years ago DS asked for his own algebra book- and got it. He took it everywhere- sisters swim practice, etc.  Parents there thought we were nuts.  When DS was 5 he wanted the machine "where the balls go round and round and then down"  I had no idea until I realized he was talking about the lottery machine that came on TV before the news.  My favorite though is when DD -6 at the time --only wanted a whoopie cushion for Christmas.  She got it and it still hasn't gotten old 2 years later....at least not old to her....

Today was my dd's fourth bday!!! She opened all of her presents by 9 a.m. We did not have a party because everyone has been ill and daddy has been in hospital...so we spent the morning dissecting a frog.

At bedtime tonight she just could not calm down:) "but mommy, did you see the HEART?! Can you even believe it? This is the best birthday ever, I got a whole dead frog of my very own!"

Ds7's birthday was in November and all he wanted was to make a cheesecake all by himself. And learn how to cook. So I collaborated with his gift giving relatives and he got cookbooks and his very own cooking supplies; measuring cups, spoons, a kid-intended veggie prep set, etc. That's all he got, cooking supplies. And, according to him, it was a "dream come true!"

For Christmas I asked him what he wanted and he said "More science!" So I gave him the Home Science Tools catalog (which he gets soooo excited over every time one shows up in the mail) and a budget and he picked out 12 things and then narrowed it down to 2. He's getting a soda bottle rocket launcher and a Motors and Generator Experiment kit.

Dd was very excited about beast academy last year. My in-laws seemed a bit confused about why I gave her a math book and more confused about her excitement.

This year she wants a hand generator she played with at a science class, a catapult making kit she is excited about after taking a class on siege machines and various other books & science, history or math things. She also wants an America Girl doll which we will probably let her get with money from grandparents after Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

In the "presents your AL wants/gets that most wouldn't want"-guess what DD9 got from a member of our homeschool group yesterday? (yes, they made sure it was OK with DH and I first). Pinkie Py(thon) is a 20 year old ball python, who's college student owner just got accepted to study in England-and who's mother told him that if he couldn't come home on weekends to care for the snake, it needed a new home. Who better than a 9 yr old would-be herpetologist who insists she's not going to college if she can't take her snakes with her?

1491669_10202198139709282_1994671990_n.j

Morgan wanted the "big" T&K crystal & mineral experiment kit.  She's also getting an ancient egypt activity kit and ancient history activity book.  Oh, and Green's Tales of Ancient Egypt.  There seems to be a theme here . . . 

Shannon is getting Introduction to Astrobiology and LOF Calculus.

They are also getting normal girly stuff - breyer horses for both, a riding helmet & boots for Shannon, and an AG doll for Morgan courtesy of our more well-off relatives . . . thank goodness for them!

Mama has taken advantage of some of the Teaching Company sales: I got A Skeptic's Guide to American History, Great Ideas of Classical Physics, and A New History of Life.  Those are for all of us, I guess.  I also got us Clue, the classic board game, a National Geographic for Kids subscription, and Young Rider magazine.  Christmas presents are definitely doing double-duty around here!

When my twin boys were about to turn 4, they insisted for weeks before their birthday that Barack Obama absolutely needed to come to their party!

Disclaimer: This had nothing to do with our political direction. They were both merely obsessed with presidents at the time and were quite disappointed that George Washington already passed away.

I don't think their wish lists are really "AL" enough to fit into this thread, but --

1. our oldest boy would love nothing more than a gift certificate to ThinkGeek.com (and a cell phone)

2. our oldest girl wants a new instrument case, a wheeled backpack, a real henna kit, a gift certificate to AC Moore (arts and crafts store), and a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble (and a cell phone)

3. younger son has a wish list of just about every Snap Circuits kit ever made (I didn't know there were SO MANY) and every kit in the Lego store catalog 

4. youngest wants doll clothes -- she can never have too many doll clothes -- and more books  (her grandfather gave her a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble and she already used it -- spent TWO HOURS pouring over books while choosing)

When asked my 5 year old said she wanted books and fossils for Christmas. Grandparent replied with "That's not very fun, how bout some toys?"

For some reason no one wants to buy my girls art supplies or sticker books either. They LOVE sticker books. Why won't you just get the kids some sticker books!!!

Everyone was also unhappy about the scarves idea. The girls do a lot of dress up and inventive play. Tying scarves around themselves or making forts and other stuff.

Logic workbooks and games got an eye roll too. And that was just in reply to me purchasing them.