Menu

Pharmacies using clear bags?

Joker

Would this bother you?

Our local Publix just switched to using clear bags. You can easily see name and medication information through the bag. I was picking up refills for oldest and it was too big to shove in my small purse. She asked me to take it to the car before doing my shopping. I'm not really interested in switching pharmacies (Publix is the cheapest in my area), but it did get me wondering about privacy laws and such. Then, I wondered if we were the only ones bothered by it.

Ours uses white bags but there is a label on the outside just like the one on the bottle. So it's just as easy to read what's inside, but not see what's in there.  

Ask them to put the clear bag in a regular Publix bag - I bet they have those just sitting there also. 

Seems a bit odd.  I doubt I would notice anyone's prescription labels but I suppose it might be awkward to run into a friend or acquaintance at the store. I'd ask for an opaque bag as a pp suggested, or try to remember to bring a tote (eta- which I just saw another pp suggested as well).

Maybe old age is just catching up with me (my eyes aren't what they just were) but I can't imagine expending the effort needed to  scan someone's prescription bag to see what they are taking.

Small print, moving target - It just isn't something that would land on my radar.

My eyes are bad, too, so I can't imagine seeing a prescription label on most meds.

But - as I was running through the meds we take, I realized that a number of our meds come in a fairly large box with large lettering - ex: asthma med, epi-pens and ointments for dermatological conditons.

Those would be very easy for someone to read or identify without staring too hard.

Like others I would complain, ask for another bag and/or make a point of carrying my own bag.

I wouldn't ever read it or, if I happened to see it, judge anyone. But I remember once waiting for a prescription and a woman was there getting lots of new medicines for a medical condition that some people do get judgmental about. It occurred to me how exposed and vulnerable she must have felt. Some of that is inevitable, so it seems to me they should do whatever they can to minimize it and an opaque bag is so not a big deal.

Our pharmacy uses white paper bags.  Can't see through them. 

There are some really weird people out there that try to figure out what meds you are taking but like others I wouldn't even think about trying to see what someone else was taking. I have enough problems remembering what I went to the store for to focus on anyone else's cart.

That would bother me.  If the white paper bag does not fit in my purse I pull off the information page and put that in my purse.  Besides the fact that it is no ones business what meds I am taking I can't help but think of crime of opportunity.  Certain prescription meds are desirable. Being able to easily see what is in someones bag can make you a target for a crime.

There are some really weird people out there that try to figure out what meds you are taking but like others I wouldn't even think about trying to see what someone else was taking. I have enough problems remembering what I went to the store for to focus on anyone else's cart.

I agree - for myself. Most of my friends know what I am taking anyway. :laugh:

But OP is talking about her child. I have no idea what age the child is, but I can see my son being very shy about bumping in to a friend and his friend seeing a prescription.

Getting to the point of not caring comes with age. But teens - and throw in the bullying issue - I can see where they wouldn't want others to know.

Our Walmart pharmacy uses them, but strangely not for every prescription. I have no idea how they decide what goes in a clear bag and what goes in a paper bag.

If you pick up a prescription in a paper bag, you can take it, shop, and pay for it at any register. If it's in a clear bag they make you pay for it at the pharmacy, and then put it in one of their bags or yours (I always bring reusable bags). They specifically told me one time when I wanted to do some shopping that it's because of the fact that it's clear and you can see everything. Makes me wonder why they use them at all.

Maybe old age is just catching up with me (my eyes aren't what they just were) but I can't imagine expending the effort needed to  scan someone's prescription bag to see what they are taking.

Small print, moving target - It just isn't something that would land on my radar.

I have kids who would have no problem reading it, small type and all.  If it's an age thing, then I'd assume all her middle school classmates could read it too.

I actually dislike all the translucent plastic bags they use in drugstores and grocery stores.  There are many things besides prescriptions that are just not anybody else's business.  And I doubt if it reduces shoplifting at all.

Our walgreens uses them for some. I wonder if the ones that are filled somewhere else and sent in are in those sealed plastic bags? Some are ziploc, some are sealed and some are paper bags. I hate all of the plastic trash that I can't recycle. Never thought about people seeing our stuff. Probably because I use the drive thru most of the time.

Jodie

We're cheap here in Australia. We don't even get bags. Medication is just handed to us and we go pay for it up the front checkout which means we have to parade from the back of the store to the front with it in a clear, alarmed case. The cashier unlocks it and dumps it on the counter and scans each box label. Everyone in line can see what you are getting. I've never thought to care. The cashier then asks if you want a bag but I always so no as the boxes are so small and just carry it out in my hand or stick it in my bag.

Honestly if it's been perscribed then you obviously need it so why would you be embaressed about a medical condition you can't help?

I don't know ...to me its like buying toilet paper or condoms or tampons. Its not awesome to have everyone seeing you buy it but at the same time....what's the big deal if you need it.

Ours uses white bags but there is a label on the outside just like the one on the bottle. So it's just as easy to read what's inside, but not see what's in there.  

Ask them to put the clear bag in a regular Publix bag - I bet they have those just sitting there also. 

I got a prescription there today, and they put the clear bag inside a regular publix plastic bag. 

Walgreens uses paper bags, but puts the medication info on the outside of the bag, stapled to it, so it's the same issue.

Mine is handed to me in a clear plastic bag that closes with a ziptop. The outside of the bag has the script info on it in the form of a big sticker and inside with the med are any paper handouts. The receipt is stapled to the bag. If the medication comes in a box (sometimes liquid does) then they just hand me the box with the handouts and receipt separate. The staff at the pharmacy always asks me if I want it in a store bag to carry it out or use my reusable bag.

I just carry it out. I can't imagine anyone being able to read my prescription bottle. And, it is often small enough to stick in my purse or even my coat pocket.

Mine is handed to me in a clear plastic bag that closes with a ziptop. The outside of the bag has the script info on it in the form of a big sticker and inside with the med are any paper handouts. The receipt is stapled to the bag. If the medication comes in a box (sometimes liquid does) then they just hand me the box with the handouts and receipt separate. The staff at the pharmacy always asks me if I want it in a store bag to carry it out or use my reusable bag.

I just carry it out. I can't imagine anyone being able to read my prescription bottle. And, it is often small enough to stick in my purse or even my coat pocket.

My dd's prescription that we were picking up was not in a small package and the name of the medicine was clearly visible. No one needed to be able to read the label because it was clearly printed on the packaging. I carry a very small purse/bag and it would not fit inside. They did not offer any other bag but next time I will ask. She was uncomfortable and I don't feel there is any reason for her to be so because that information can easily be kept private (not with the clear bags, though).

My dd's prescription that we were picking up was not in a small package and the name of the medicine was clearly visible. No one needed to be able to read the label because it was clearly printed on the packaging. I carry a very small purse/bag and it would not fit inside. They did not offer any other bag but next time I will ask. She was uncomfortable and I don't feel there is any reason for her to be so because that information can easily be kept private (not with the clear bags, though).

Sounds like you have a plan then. :)

We're cheap here in Australia. We don't even get bags. Medication is just handed to us and we go pay for it up the front checkout which means we have to parade from the back of the store to the front with it in a clear, alarmed case. The cashier unlocks it and dumps it on the counter and scans each box label. Everyone in line can see what you are getting. I've never thought to care. The cashier then asks if you want a bag but I always so no as the boxes are so small and just carry it out in my hand or stick it in my bag.

Honestly if it's been perscribed then you obviously need it so why would you be embaressed about a medical condition you can't help?

I don't know ...to me its like buying toilet paper or condoms or tampons. Its not awesome to have everyone seeing you buy it but at the same time....what's the big deal if you need it.

That is not the way it is done in all Australia. Here you get the prescription and are asked if you  would like a bag. if you want a bag they place it in a very small paper bag

My eyes are bad, too, so I can't imagine seeing a prescription label on most meds.

But - as I was running through the meds we take, I realized that a number of our meds come in a fairly large box with large lettering - ex: asthma med, epi-pens and ointments for dermatological conditons.

Those would be very easy for someone to read or identify without staring too hard.

Like others I would complain, ask for another bag and/or make a point of carrying my own bag.

Yeah, I would love for the pharmacy to put my big bottle of colonoscopy prep solution in a clear bag.

NOT.

I see a lawsuit in their future. My dh carried needles and insulin with him before he switched to a pump and was always very discrete about it bc some people would like to steal needles and vials of drugs . They likely wouldn't even know it was insulin, but it didn't keep them from breaking into his car once to find out. Not to mention, not everyone can afford the meds they need. Might as well wait to steal it from someone who can?

We use walgreens and target and they put it in a solid white bag, and staple our tag to it shut, with only our name facing out. So it looks like a pharmacy bag, but that's it. Can't casually read the contents or see them.