Menu

To Keurig or not to Keurig?

gingersmom

I have a Krups coffee maker with all the bells and whistles that I love ($10 thrift store find)

The problem is since I moved I can't find coffee I love.

The thing that appeals lot me is the different coffees I can rotate among.

What worries me is how often people say they break, less than a year, etc.

I don't think I have ever had a coffee maker break. They get really old and I replace every few years.

Tell me why you love/hate yours.

Thanks!

I don't have one, but my mom does. I'm currently living with her, so I've been using it. Her's is a Mr. Coffee brand one though, not an actual Keurig. I think she's had it for a couple of years or so now?

I like it okay. I use the refillable thing some and I use the cups some. My mom buys a large variety of K Cups, so I usually mooch off of her if I'm using a K Cup. I like having my own ground coffee too and keep a decent variety to use in the refillable thing.

I really like mine, we have had it several years and as long as I descale it every few months it does just fine.  I mostly use the refillable cup though, I can't handle the amount of waste from the plastic cups.  When I do buy cups, I get them at Sam's, they are a much much better price there, and we like the Newman's own fair trade organic stuff. 

Ours just died after two years of quite heavy use, and we chose to replace it with another Keurig. We don't use the plastic cups either, but a mix of the refillable ones and another brand that's both more eco-friendly and cheaper. I also use a Bodum sometimes. I don't have anything against regular coffee makers, but I found I would make a pot and end up throwing out at least half of it (I hate reheated coffee). It's been a useful appliance around here.

I love my Keurig, however, our first one had major issues within the first year.  We called to complain, and after going through a whole series of steps, it was decided our keurig was toast, and they sent us a completely new one free of charge.  They even upgraded us to the next size up. We didn't even have to send them the old one.

So while they may have issues, their costumer service is top notch.  We've now had this one for over a year and we have no troubles with it.  I love having the variety of cups to choose from, and it really shines when we have company over.

However, it does not replace the daily pot of coffee in the Braun.  We use it in addition to brewing a full pot every day.

I have one that died in the first year. They replaced it with no hassle. That tells me they make their money off the cups, not the machine. Freakin pushers!!

I like mine but there are times (especially now that is is cold) that I want lots and lots of coffee. It gets expensive so I use the little red refillable cup but I hate emptying that thing. First world problem, I know!

I got a Keurig last year for christmas. Best present ever. I also love the variety, and now Aldi carries flavored K-cups, which helps on the expense. Target has generic ones that are really tasty too. And I never go to Starbucks anymore, which was a several times a week indulgence before. I see no point, as I have all sorts of yummy flavored coffee at home. 

As for breaking, we heard that so we bought ours at Bed Bath and Beyond, as they are good about returns. But, it's been almost a year and no issues. Oh, once it wouldn't work,a nd we googled and found that sometimes a coffee ground gets stuck in the little nozzel thing...my son fixed it for me in a minute or so, and never a problem since. I adore it, and wonder how I lived without it. 

Others will tell you it is an awful environmental waste, but you know what? Individual yogurt cups are just as bad for the environment and no one ever gives yogurt eaters a guilt trip. I am very responsible in many other areas, and gosh darn it I'm keeping my 2-3 cup a day K-cup habit!

I use a single cup Melitta cone.  I've yet to find anything that works better for me, but that might be different if anyone else here was a coffee drinker, or if we had much company, or if I liked flavored coffees.  But none of those apply, so I'm keeping life simple with my Melitta cone.  I don't have to worry about it breaking, and I can make coffee even if the electricity goes out.

Whoa!  I live in fear of this problem.  Does it have some sort of battery back up?  That is so cool!

It's a cone you stick a filter in, stick the coffee in that, and then pour hot water over. As long as you can create hot water with the electricity off, you're fine :)

French press is another option for that.

If worst comes to worst and you can't do hot water, you can still make cold-brewed coffee, though that's an overnight process.

To answer the original question - my workplace has had a Keurig for the past year at least that gets used many times a day, every day. It seems to have held up well overall. I do recall it being out of service briefly, but it wasn't something that required purchase of a new machine. I wonder how many people having problems with them are using unfiltered water or never cleaning it?

We have a keurig and I love it. However, I will admit the price of the little cups makes me twitch. Even on sale, I'm paying 50 cents a cup. I don't think it costs me that much when I brew from grounds! However, it is so nice to ask DH to brew me a cup of coffee and he deliver it within 2 minutes :D

eta: I don't like brewing from the little filter cups. They don't taste as good. AND I'm picky with which kcups I drink, too. I'm just too picky obviously!

Hold the phone!! Aldi's has k-cups?!? How much per cup??? I pay about 50 cents each at Sam's. Details!!

$5.79 for 12 cups. So about the same price, but I like the coffee better. There is a fair trade one that is unflavored, which I like pretty well, another one or two I haven't had that are plain, and a hazelnut one and a vanilla one. I usually buy the hazelnut and vanilla, but keep some of the unflavored for when I have flavored creamer. 

Target has their generic for .57 a cup (9.99 for 18 cups) in some great flavors...Pumpkin Spice, Caramel Macchiato, Vanilla Creme Brulee, etc. Plus the cups are shiny and pretty, lol.

I'm a sucker for variety :)

50 cents per cup is crazy expensive. Even if I was ok with the coffee quality and such, I'd be stopped by the price. Though I have heard some use theirs with a refillable cup and regular coffee.

It's expensive if you're replacing brewed coffee, cheap if you're replacing pre-made coffee bought from anywhere, and that's often the goal.

You can find cheaper cups, too. San Francisco Bay Coffee cups are around $0.33 each 80-count on amazon. I'm pretty sure I've seen good prices at Costco, but not 100% sure, because I bought the SFBC ones from amazon and then promptly got pregnant and developed coffee aversions and only used about 2 of them, so I'm not in the market for more yet.

Blech.  I like my coffee to taste like coffee. ;)  You're much better off buying a french press and some locally roasted beans.  It'll taste better and probably end up being cheaper.

See, and for me a french press requires entirely too much thought that early in the morning. Momma is a bear until she's had at least a couple cups of coffee, so I'm more of a "press this button and try to wait patiently" kinda gal. For clarity: I press a button on my standard coffee maker. No keurig here.

Whoa!  I live in fear of this problem.  Does it have some sort of battery back up?  That is so cool!

It's a cone you stick a filter in, stick the coffee in that, and then pour hot water over. As long as you can create hot water with the electricity off, you're fine :)

Yes, with a manual coffee maker like a Melitta cone or French press, as long as you can get hot water (gas stove or grill) you can have coffee.

It's not that I don't like the Keurigs, or the coffee they make.  I just don't feel the need to get that fancy, or spend that much on the little cups, or take up so much counter space.  But coffee is a very important and personal thing, and I think everybody should have coffee that suits them. ;)

50 cents per cup is crazy expensive. Even if I was ok with the coffee quality and such, I'd be stopped by the price. Though I have heard some use theirs with a refillable cup and regular coffee.

I think it depends how much coffee you drink. On my heaviest/craziest day that is 3 cups. Most days it is 1 or 2 cups. So that isn't THAT much of a splurge. And really, before the Keurig I didn't make coffee really at all, I'd stop at starbucks a few times a week as a treat. So it's cheaper than that. Cheaper than gas station coffee even. 

And to be honest, what I wanted at the time, when my 3rd was 2 months old, was something that allowed me nearly instant caffeine that I could work with one hand while carrying said baby. And yeah, I coudl get regular coffee for it, and put it in one of those filter cups, but this is my only luxury. I drink $2.89 wine from Aldi, never get my nails or hair done. This is my splurge :)

Thanks everyone for your input.

What size machine would make the tallest cup of coffee?

A little mug just won't work.

I think they all have multiple sizes. I got whatever was the current nice one at Bed Bath and Beyond, and it does a small cup, a normal mug, or a travel size mug. 

I think my parents is bigger/more expensive, and has 4 cups settings, but that 4th size is kind of random. Theirs also gets too hot in my opinion...I like the taste better from my slightly cheaper one. 

I just bought two Keurigs.  One for our scout troop and one for me.  I had 50% off coupons for both.

I will be sending mine back next week.  I just don't like it.  The convenience is awesome and even my 9 year old could go make me a cup of coffee in the afternoon, but I don't care for most of the coffees, can't get past the expense, and much prefer my espresso machine or my French Press.

Also, the one I have (VUE) got a knick in it the first week with something very minor butted up against it.  It is just a very cheap plastic machine.  It is going back!

However, to answer your question......the reason I got the VUE is because it makes cups larger than 10 ounces.  10 ounces is the largest a regular Keurig will go.  The VUE can go up to 14ounces, which was the size of my larger coffee mugs.  

But, the VUE has different sizes for the K-cups and you either need to buy their specific size OR buy an adaptor for it.

As for K-cups, I am in charge of buying them for our scout troop and can tell you that the Kirkland brand Costco ones are .37 per cup and often go on a $5 off 100 K-cups sale, making them .32 per K-cup.  I also like the taste of the Kirkland ones.

Dawn

I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TGDXMK/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_product_title

They work just fine in my Keurig, are cheaper (less than $30 for 80 cups) and are less waste.  This is also organic coffee.  They can be a little "drippy" right after use if you remove them, but I love them.  I order them on Subscribe and Save every month, so I pay less than $30 a month for my organic coffee habit.  I can live with that.  (It works out to 35 cents a cup for the Subscribe and Save price, and it is delivered to my door free.)

I use these:

They work just fine in my Keurig, are cheaper (less than $30 for 80 cups) and are less waste.  This is also organic coffee.  They can be a little "drippy" right after use if you remove them, but I love them.  I order them on Subscribe and Save every month, so I pay less than $30 a month for my organic coffee habit.  I can live with that.  (It works out to 35 cents a cup for the Subscribe and Save price, and it is delivered to my door free.)

That is awesome! I went to their main site and read about how the biodegradable cups are made. So cool! I'm going to try some of the hazelnut I think!

I use these:

Hmmm... I may just be able to get on board with that!

Do you think they'd compost well in the backyard? Maybe not for garden use, but to avoid throwing them in plastic garbage bags that will negate the biodegradable factor?

Oh, I just clicked on the images and saw the great big "compostable" lable, lol.

I've had 3 Keurig pump fails (and I know 3 other friends who have had multiple pump fails, and have read about many more online) and I've sworn off their built-to-fail machines forever (even the Cuisenart branded machine has had pump failures).  I highly recommend the Bunn My Cafe (I got my at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon for about $140, iirc).  Brew your own grounds, brew Kcups, brew any other pods, or just get hot water.

The coffee is hotter, and you can brew it stronger.  It accommodates every size cup I have, included a tall Starbucks travel mug. 

Thanks everyone for your input.

What size machine would make the tallest cup of coffee?

A little mug just won't work.

Gingersmom, I think I have a solution for you that you'd like.  It's the Bunn MyCafe single cup brewer.  It is a multi-functional brewer, it has little four interchangeable drawers that will hold a k-cup, a bag of tea, pass the water through for hot choc or soup, or that you can load with coffee grounds.  You fill the reservoir with however much water you want to come out, so it will do small, med, or large amounts of liquid, according to what you choose.  It is hotter than K-machines, so it brews a better cup of coffee.

There were older mycafe machines on the market, last year they came out with the one with the four drawers, so if you ored online, be sure you are getting the right one.

Dd got hers last year for Christmas, and she and her apt mates love it.  (She had used a Melitta Coffe Joe cone for several years and was ready to have something nicer.)

The advantage is you can brew one cup of whatever you'd like at rock bottom prices, since you are using your coffee out of a bag.  It also has a better track record for not dying than the Ks.  We bought ours at Lowe's when they first came out, b/c Lowe's seems to have a replace no questions asked policy, based on customer feedback.  (If you decide to buy a K machine, Costco is very customer friendly in their return/replace policies.)

Here's one link to it:

http://www.casa.com/p/bunn-mcu-single-cup-multi-use-brewer-856400?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_C&utm_term=FPS-186480&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1934991412&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

I do not, and will never, understand the Keurig thing.  It's so uneconomical, and making a single cup of great coffee with a lower-tech method is so easy.   I use a single cup pour over, a cheap one, similar to this: 

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385302207&sr=8-2&keywords=pour+over

I grind beans.  I put them in.  I pour boiling water over.  I wait briefly.  Excellent coffee !!!!

I also have French presses, but I prefer the pour over because the paper filter takes out the little fine particles. 

I love mine.  Not for a lot of people, but for making coffee for one person, or if one wants regular and one wants decaf.  I have the refillable cup and use it often, but it never tastes as good with that -- I don't know why!  I do feel guilty about using so many little plastic cups though.  I've heard statistics about how many of those little plastic cups are now going into landfills.  The MAIN reason I like it though is because my husband's right hand is paralyzed, but he can use this machine easily with one hand so can still make my coffee.  :)  We've had ours about five years and it's still going.  We're picky about our coffee though and like coffee such as Starbucks, Caribou, and Gavalia.  We like it really strong.

I do not, and will never, understand the Keurig thing.  It's so uneconomical, and making a single cup of great coffee with a lower-tech method is so easy.   I use a single cup pour over, a cheap one, similar to this: 

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385302207&sr=8-2&keywords=pour+over

I grind beans.  I put them in.  I pour boiling water over.  I wait briefly.  Excellent coffee !!!!

I also have French presses, but I prefer the pour over because the paper filter takes out the little fine particles. 

I just got one of those single cup pour over gadgets for my daughter studying abroad.  It's great!  I also have one of these cute little things which makes a great expresso.  Kind of like this one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Single-One-Cup-Stovetop-Espresso-Maker-Machine-/400610828866

I've had 3 Keurig pump fails (and I know 3 other friends who have had multiple pump fails, and have read about many more online) and I've sworn off their built-to-fail machines forever (even the Cuisenart branded machine has had pump failures).  I highly recommend the Bunn My Cafe (I got my at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon for about $140, iirc).  Brew your own grounds, brew Kcups, brew any other pods, or just get hot water.

The coffee is hotter, and you can brew it stronger.  It accommodates every size cup I have, included a tall Starbucks travel mug. 

Ha! JudoMom and I were working on posts at the same time.  We're two happy campers with the Bunn, I guess.  LOL!