Menu

Best size/brand for Dutch oven?

PeachyDoodle

I want to surprise dh with an enamel/cast iron Dutch oven for Christmas. I would looooove to get him a Le Creuset, but that's probably out of my price range. I'm not sure because I was thinking of something in maybe the 5-quart range, but I honestly have no idea what size to get.

What's the best size Dutch (or French -- is there a difference?) oven for a family of 4? What's your favorite brand?

If you can't tell, I am not exactly Suzy Homemaker in the kitchen, but I'm trying not to ask him too many questions so I don't give it away!

Owning a nice handful of dutch ovens, I believe I have found THE essential one. :) 

http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookware/product_7-1%2F4-qt.-Round-French-Oven_10151_-1_20002_10139_21056

The 7 1/4 quart (or thereabouts if you aren't in Le Creuset) round dutch oven. It is exactly the right size for a large (not huge) double batch of your favorite soup. It is a nice size for a pot roast. It is, IMHO, perfect. 

You want round (if you only have one shape) so you can use it stove top for browning meats, etc.

I have larger, and I have smaller, and I have other shapes (oval), but if I could only have one, that would be the one I'd never let go. I intend to give each of my children one when they make their first homes. It is really the perfect dutch oven.

FWIW, I am not a splurge-y kind of gal in the kitchen, but I love my Le Creuset whole heartedly. I've "used up" several Christmases getting my dutch ovens and skillets, and they've been my very favorite gifts. Ever!

I have Le Creuset and absolutely love them. I have a 5 1/2 quart and 7 1/4 quart and love them both equally. I am having a hard time deciding which to recommend! I got the smaller one first and used it a ton but I did have a lot of occasions when I wished for the bigger. Now that I have both, I use both equally. So, all that being said, maybe go for bigger. At least, then, you aren't wishing for more room. After all, you can make a smaller amount in a big pot but not vise versa.

**Sigh.**

You guys are going to make me blow my budget!! I reeeeaallly want to spring for the Le Creuset! I was so hoping that someone would say, "Oh, this cheap option from Walmart is just a wonderful and 1/3 the price!"

We actually have a *little* money to spend on each other this year (we often just buy for the kids or only very small token gifts for each other). He's been talking about this for years. We do have a Le Creuset factory outlet about 45 minutes from here... wonder how much of a discount there would be?

I have a 7 quart one from Lodge. They have enamel coated and non coated. I absolutely love it.  I opted not to go with enamel.  I know the enamel is easier to clean but I wanted the health benefits from cooking on the iron.

From all the reviews I have read and people I have spoken to Lodge is comparable to Le Crueset.  It is more affordable and the non coated are made in the USA (which was important to me but I know that is not important to everyone). The enamel coated are made in china.  They say it is made to their US Standards.

Owning a nice handful of dutch ovens, I believe I have found THE essential one. :)

http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookware/product_7-1%2F4-qt.-Round-French-Oven_10151_-1_20002_10139_21056

The 7 1/4 quart (or thereabouts if you aren't in Le Creuset) round dutch oven. It is exactly the right size for a large (not huge) double batch of your favorite soup. It is a nice size for a pot roast. It is, IMHO, perfect. 

You want round (if you only have one shape) so you can use it stove top for browning meats, etc.

I have larger, and I have smaller, and I have other shapes (oval), but if I could only have one, that would be the one I'd never let go. I intend to give each of my children one when they make their first homes. It is really the perfect dutch oven.

FWIW, I am not a splurge-y kind of gal in the kitchen, but I love my Le Creuset whole heartedly. I've "used up" several Christmases getting my dutch ovens and skillets, and they've been my very favorite gifts. Ever!

Thank you, this is all very good to know. I was looking at the oval, but now I'll look for the 7 1/4 round. Because, like I said, what do I know? :)

I have a 7 quart one from Lodge. They have enamel coated and non coated. I absolutely love it.  I opted not to go with enamel.  I know the enamel is easier to clean but I wanted the health benefits from cooking on the iron.

From all the reviews I have read and people I have spoken to Lodge is comparable to Le Crueset.  It is more affordable and the non coated are made in the USA (which was important to me but I know that is not important to everyone). The enamel coated are made in china.  They say it is made to their US Standards.

Hmmm... Macy's has a 7qt Lodge cast-iron on sale for $90. And I happen to have a $50 Macy's gift card. But the enamel ones are *soooo pretty*!

Decisions, decisions!

I can't speak to the non-Le Crueset brands quality, but I do adore the LC ones, and I do not have an organized enough kitchen routine to deal with non-enameled cast iron. Kids and guests often help in the kitchen, and I like it that way. Pots often sit for hours or even overnight before being cleaned. I love that the enameled cast iron can be easily cleaned by anyone at any time, with no special treatment. I love my enameled cast iron, and the few times in my adult life I tried to manage "real" cast iron, I soon gave up and gave away the pan. ;)

You can get a good one at various department stores.  They're a nice halfway option, better than the Walmart ones, not as pricey as LC.  And from what I've read, the slight difference in quality isn't enough to justify paying an extra hundred or more dollars.  I got one from Herbergers last year.  It was originally $150, but I picked it up on black Friday for around $50.  It works amazingly well.  I often use it multiple times each week, and it doesn't have so much as a chip or a scratch.

**Sigh.**

You guys are going to make me blow my budget!! I reeeeaallly want to spring for the Le Creuset! I was so hoping that someone would say, "Oh, this cheap option from Walmart is just a wonderful and 1/3 the price!"

We actually have a *little* money to spend on each other this year (we often just buy for the kids or only very small token gifts for each other). He's been talking about this for years. We do have a Le Creuset factory outlet about 45 minutes from here... wonder how much of a discount there would be?

The factory outlet often does have good deals. They tend to have one particular color on a really good deal and the others will be a bit more. So if you aren't super picky about color you can find a great deal. My dad just picked up two pans, a large skillet and a 7 1/4 Dutch oven for around $100 each. The color he bought was 50% off and the other colors were like 35% at the time. But even their not on sale prices are cheaper than direct from Le Creuset. I think it would be worth a look.

My husband bought me two new pans for my birthday from Williams Sonoma and their prices were very good as well. I hope you can find a good deal!

I've used Martha Stewart brand before. I used it nearly daily for 5 years before it rusted through the enamel on the bottom. I will admit that I put it in the dishwasher many times and I am sure I caused its death.

I will be buying another 7qt. Look at TJ Maxx, Ross, Stein Mart, IKEA. They all have some inexpensive options.

Eta pay attention to the handles that come with the nonname brand. You want them to also be enameled cast iron or metal. I have seen some that are plastic. Stay away from that brand. They are obviously clueless of the use of dutch ovens

The only dutch oven I have owned is the 6 qt one I got last year at Aldi for $30.  They are listed now with the Special Buys for Nov. 20.  I love it - especially the price. (which I may have gotten the clearance price - so less than $30!) It has the metal knob on the lid so it can easily be used to make bread in the oven.

I have a Lodge cast iron 5 qt. and while I love it, I should have bought a larger size. Even though there are only 3 of us, a larger one would allow me to make double batches of soup or a big roast, and freeze the extra. So, while I don't have experience with too many different brands, I will say go for a 7 to 7.5 qt. no matter what brand you end up choosing.

Just so you know, it is entirely your fault that I just spent most of my birthday money from my mom on another Le Creuset pot. I should never discuss it, never visit their website, etc. Dangerous territory. That said, I have been eyeing this particular item for about 5 years, it was on sale, and it is going to be perfect. I never regret a Le Creuset item, and my birthday was three months ago, so it was about time I spent the money on something fun!

L2544-GREEN_full.jpg

I can't afford Le Creuset, either, and plan to buy either the oval Lodge dutch oven or this one by Tramontina (I've been pleased with every product by Tramontina I've bought, btw):  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-Gourmet-7-Quart-Covered-Oval-Dutch-Oven/20665988

I like the reviews from America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country and they gave a Tramontina a recommendation over the Lodge.

I have both Le Creuset and Lodge enameled dutch ovens. I like them equally. In the NW, Fred Meyer has great sales on their Lodge ones around this time of year. The 6 qt variety is somewhere in the $45 range, which is a steal! Regular price is only $70 or so.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Color-EC6D43-Enameled-6-Quart/dp/B000N501BK is the exact one I have.

I've used Martha Stewart brand before. I used it nearly daily for 5 years before it rusted through the enamel on the bottom. I will admit that I put it in the dishwasher many times and I am sure I caused its death.

I had a MS one too, and *never* washed it in the dishwasher or anything like that. At about the 5 year mark, the enamel flaked off while I was cooking potato soup in it. I would never buy that brand again.

I will be buying another 7qt. Look at TJ Maxx, Ross, Stein Mart, IKEA. They all have some inexpensive options.

My current enameled Dutch oven is one from Cuisinart. Mine is a 7qt round pot. I have had it for quite a while, and it's still going strong. It's bright green. I bought it at either a TJ Maxx or Ross. I paid around $60-75(?somewhere in there) for it. The 7.25 qt pot from LeCreuset from Williams Sonoma is $325. I

I'm kind of surprised to hear that about Martha Stewart; I always had the impression that she made high-quality stuff. But I haven't seen any of her brand in the places I've looked anyway.

I did sneak in a call to the Le Creuset outlet while dh was gone, and it looks like with their current promotion I can get the 7 1/4 quart for $170-$210 (depending on color). A lot better than $325+, but still around $100 more than I had initially planned on. I have a couple of extra freelance jobs this month, though, so I might be able to swing it. I think my mom is going out there on Friday to do some Christmas shopping so she can pick one up for me.

In the meantime, I think I'll hit Tuesday Morning/Ross/TJ Maxx (fortunately they're all in a row!) and see if there are any spectacular deals. I did read some good reviews on Tramontina, but apparently they discontinued their best one and came out with a new design this fall, so I don't know what, if anything, has changed.

Oh, and you're welcome, Stephanie!!! ;)

Check Homegoods too. They sometimes have Le Creuset. I bought the Lodge promising myself that when I killed it I would spring for Le Creuset. So far it's in perfect condition and I've used it a few times a week for a couple years now. It just lives on my stovetop. I love it, but doubt it will be an heirloom piece that will outlive me.

I have this one: 

http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/dutch-ovens/pro-logic-dutch-oven-P12D3

I think I would have used a smaller one more frequently.  This is really heavy.  And the large size makes it awkward to handle when I clean it.   It's rare that I need a pot this big.

We also have this:

http://store.calphalon.com/calphalon-simply-calphalon-nonstick-5-qt-chili-pot/749268

It's not a Dutch oven, but it's oven-rated to 400F.  It's a smaller size, much lighter, and much easier to clean.  It's our go-to pot for most things and does everything I would do with a smaller Dutch oven.  I only use the big Dutch oven to make a really large batch of soup or chowder.  I don't use it for chili, because the unlined cast iron takes on the chili flavors, and tomato-based foods don't do so well with cast iron.  The Dutch oven is so large, the only place we can store it is in the oven.  So every time I want to use the oven, I have to lift it out and set it on the stovetop. 

The Le Creuset is really worth the splurge. Is there another holiday you can combine with Christmas so it evens out the budget? Birthday? Father's Day? Sometimes we've given a family member a gift for two occasions combined so we could afford something extra special. It has always been well received.

Dd gave me a very large oval LC dutch oven and it's a fabulous piece...but it's too big and too heavy. I have since bought a small Rachel Ray enamel dutch oven and it's the perfect size.  I still use both, but honestly prefer the smaller one because it's easier to handle and I rarely make THAT much food at once.  Both seem to perform equally well, but the LC cleans up better. The Rachel Ray one is stained on the inside bottom but the LC cleaner quickly removes any stain from the LC but not the RR pot. Weird, huh?

• 2 weeks later...

If I were you, I'd just call your outlet and ask what they have and for prices . . . You can find out the exact sizes/colors from them on the phone, then compare the price and look online, and you may decide it is worth the drive. 

I got mine at an outlet many moons ago. They had a coupon that I used on it too. I've never had any problems w/ it and I use it a lot. I think it's the exact one StephanieZ linked above, down to that exact color.

I big-puffy-heart Le Creuset!

The target and wm ones are comparable quality, imo, as the budget option.

Yes, there are less expensive options. Years ago, dh got me one from CostPlus or World Market (around here they are essentially the same store). It was far less than $325 as someone linked on the Le Creuset website. Also, check outlet stores or second hand stores if you don't mind if it's been used.

Also, for what it's worth, the Cook's Magazine rated the one from Target at about the same performance as Le Creuset. If I remember correctly, they said the only difference was that the enamel coating was slightly thinner on the Target product than on Le Creuset but it evidently made little difference in the cooking results.

I have a 6qt circular Lodge that does the trick, but the prices have gone up since I've purchased. I need one in short order and an expensive on wasn't in the budget.

A friend has a Staub dutch oven I've borrowed a couple of times, and OMG I love the look and feel. Someday I'd like a 7 qt oval in black,  and a smaller cocotte.

So, how do you ladies keep your coated cast iron (like LeCreuest) clean? I have a stain in my Dutch oven. I have tried many things, but its interior is not like the day I bought it, and whenever I watch cooking shows, theirs always are. I guess I'm a terrible cook, but can anyone help me get it looking good again?