Menu

Who can tell me about stand mixers?

J-rap

I have a daughter who -- unlike me -- bakes like crazy!  She'd love a stand mixer for Christmas, but I couldn't believe their prices!  The KitchenAid seems to be the mainstream, good-quality one out there, but there are others that are much less expensive.  For example, Sunbeam and Hamilton Beach have one for $130 compared to KitchenAid's $350.  Is there a big difference in quality?  If KitchenAid is far better and will last forever, then I'll just wait and see if they have a big holiday sale at some point.

One thing to consider is that she lives in Central America where repair service will not be easy!  A good quality mixer that will not need repairs is important.

I had a "professional" Kitchen Aid for years...once I started making heavier dough (breads...) I burned through the motor quickly.

I now have an Electrolux Assistant -- which is great for heavier dough, batter breads, fondant & gum paste but I actually prefer my old Kitchen Aid for mixing cakes and most soft icings (crazy...I know). Whipping Cream is fine in either.

If you are considering something else -- read some reviews. There is a lot I can do with my hand mixer -- and those aren't expensive. A cake mix from a box -- hand mixer is perfect. A cake from scratch...I much prefer a stand mixer.

In short, no a Kitchen Aid isn't going to last her forever -- it can last a good while, or she could burn it out quickly (depending upon what she's making). Get one you can afford, and if she wants to make heavier breads...have her add the last 1/3 of the flour as she kneads by hand vs. having the machine do it....only invest in a higher-end mixer if she's going into a home-business, or is doing serious baking, or maybe as a wedding present.

I had a "professional" Kitchen Aid for years...once I started making heavier dough (breads...) I burned through the motor quickly. I now have an Electrolux Assistant -- which is great for heavier dough, batter breads, fondant & gum paste but I actually prefer my old Kitchen Aid for mixing cakes and most soft icings (crazy...I know). Whipping Cream is fine in either. If you are considering something else -- read some reviews. There is a lot I can do with my hand mixer -- and those aren't expensive. A cake mix from a box -- hand mixer is perfect. A cake from scratch...I much prefer a stand mixer. In short, no a Kitchen Aid isn't going to last her forever -- it can last a good while, or she could burn it out quickly (depending upon what she's making). Get one you can afford, and if she wants to make heavier breads...have her add the last 1/3 of the flour as she kneads by hand vs. having the machine do it....only invest in a higher-end mixer if she's going into a home-business, or is doing serious baking, or maybe as a wedding present.

Thanks!  This is very helpful.

Are the KAs burning out newer or older? I have a 22 year old KSM90 (so not the "professional" model) which I use to make bread at least once a week (there were years when I made bread two or three times a week), in addition to using it for cookies, beating egg whites and cream, and other types of mixing. I have not had a lick of trouble!

My KA is 25 years old. I use it a lot. I used to make bread a lot. My family is gluten free and has been for 12 years, so I've made a lot of baked goods with alternative flours.

I've had it serviced once. Sometime before we went GF. It just slowed down and stopped. I took it to a small engine repair business, they cleaned the engine and it's been running great since. Apparently, if flour gets in the engine it gums up.

Anyway, I will need to find a new small engine business if this happens again. The guy at the previous business retired. There used to be a lot of small engine repair businesses, but it seems most people give up and throw stuff away rather than find a repair guy so these small repair guys can't stay in business.

My aunt has had her Kitchen Aid for almost 40 years, hers is the bigger one with the bowl that lowers. I've had my very basic, bottom of the line Kitchen Aid for 12 years. I use it for cakes, icing, whipped cream, cookies, bread, meatballs, and more. It gets used weekly at a minimum. In '09 I made 60+ cakes and icing to go with them from scratch with it. I love it. I've slowed down a lot on the cakes now that I have three kids though.

The nice thing is the Kitchen Aid is that it is mechanical so even if there isn't an authorized repair shop where she lives, if it needs serviced she should be able to find someone who knows about small engines who can fix it. If you go with a different brand make sure it isn't electronic so she will have an easier time getting repairs should she ever have the need.

we have a very active craigslist community here.   I bought dd a kitchen aid 5qt used for $120.  it's in better condition than mine.  =D  she bakes to relax.  (the seller even had the box for her new snazzier kitchen aid she bought.  will make it easier to wrap up.).

she put an offer on a house today (and there is supposedly another offer also being made today/tomorrow).  so, she might even own a house for Christmas.

I had my Kitchen Aide for 15 years.  Used it every single day and made bread 3- 4x a week.  Finally burned out the motor.  I loved it.  I was given a Hamilton Beach.  I don't use it.  It sits there unless I'm making a cake.  I mix everything else by hand now.  It just can't do what the Kitchen Aide did and it's fussy.  I'd love a new KA.  But not enough to shell out the money.

It sounds like a KA might be the way to go...  I'll keep my eye out for some good Christmas deals, and maybe check out Craig's List and eBay as well.  Does anyone know the difference between the classic and the Artisan model?  There seems to be a significant price difference!

here's a post I made on a previous thread about kitchen aids.  it goes into the differences between them.

what's going on with the kitchenaid mixers:

bowl size

• 4.5qt - tilt head
  • 5qt - "artisian" tilt head
  • 5qt - stand
  • 5.5qt - wide bowl/stand
  • 6qt - stand

motor size

• 250 watts
  • 275 watts
  • 325 watts
  • 575 watts

EVERYTHING else is just color.

If you do a lot of bread or other heavy dough, you want a stronger motor.   I've had a few times I wished I had a bigger bowl than a 5qt (usually when tripling recipes - doubles just fine), but that's what there was when I bought it.  very rarely larger than a 325 motor - and only when doing a very heavy bread dough.  most bread doughs have been just fine.

Mine is the 6qt pro series - I use it for everything. Dh and my neighbors nought it for me for my birthday almost 2 years ago. They got it a Costco and I know it was pricey, but it has more than paid for itself. Look for a refurbished one as well - hey often come with a warranty. The salesman at our local kitchen store said they have to sell them as refurbished even if just the box was damaged during shipping. He had several that had water spots, just spots on the boxes and they we significantly marked down.

Look for a refurbished one as well - hey often come with a warranty. The salesman at our local kitchen store said they have to sell them as refurbished even if just the box was damaged during shipping. He had several that had water spots, just spots on the boxes and they we significantly marked down.

or an opened box return.  I got a great deal on my sewing machine that way.

Are the KAs burning out newer or older? I have a 22 year old KSM90 (so not the "professional" model) which I use to make bread at least once a week (there were years when I made bread two or three times a week), in addition to using it for cookies, beating egg whites and cream, and other types of mixing. I have not had a lick of trouble!

Same here. My KA is a '96 and does fine with a dough hook on all the artisan doughs I've done.

here's a post I made on a previous thread about kitchen aids.  it goes into the differences between them.

what's going on with the kitchenaid mixers:

bowl size

• 4.5qt - tilt head
  • 5qt - "artisian" tilt head
  • 5qt - stand
  • 5.5qt - wide bowl/stand
  • 6qt - stand

motor size

• 250 watts
  • 275 watts
  • 325 watts
  • 575 watts

EVERYTHING else is just color.

If you do a lot of bread or other heavy dough, you want a stronger motor.   I've had a few times I wished I had a bigger bowl than a 5qt (usually when tripling recipes - doubles just fine), but that's what there was when I bought it.  very rarely larger than a 325 motor - and only when doing a very heavy bread dough.  most bread doughs have been just fine.

Actually, there's also a difference in the gears.

The less expensive models have a nylon/kevlar gear box.  The bigger mixers (I think the professional bowl lift line, but I get confused) have an all metal gear box.  

From what I understand, at one point all the KAs had a metal gear box, which is why some people have had theirs for 15-20+ years.  Then they switched to the nylon/kevlar gear box and they stopped lasting as long.  They switched back to metal for the higher price point mixers.

I bake all the family bread and I burned through a kitchen aid mixer.

They used to be made by Hobart. Now they aren't. They aren't nearly as good, even the more expensive ones. When I started burning through the motor of my second Kitchen Aid (don't judge; I make nine loaves a week) I asked my husband for a professional mixer from a restaurant store. It was eight hundred dollars, but it as worth every penny. I love it.

Before I got a new kitchen aid, I'd get one of the old Hobart ones from 20 years ago.

They used to be made by Hobart. Now they aren't. They aren't nearly as good, even the more expensive ones. I asked my husband for a professional mixer from a restaurant store. It was eight hundred dollars, but it as worth every penny. I love it.

that's what ds's girlfriend wants.  she's also in cooking school.

They used to be made by Hobart. Now they aren't. They aren't nearly as good, even the more expensive ones. When I started burning through the motor of my second Kitchen Aid (don't judge; I make nine loaves a week) I asked my husband for a professional mixer from a restaurant store. It was eight hundred dollars, but it as worth every penny. I love it.

Before I got a new kitchen aid, I'd get one of the old Hobart ones from 20 years ago.

Wow, that's a little discouraging!  Maybe I should be looking at garage sales instead...