Menu

Anyone have a child go from 'doesn't even like books' in 1st gr. to 'read for pleasure' later?

Tap

We have 36 boxes of books in my bonus room that I want to start clearing out. After stopping homeschooling we dismantled our library and gave that room too ds19, the books have just sat in a box since then.  DD 7 (aspergers) is in special needs classroom in public school and has had zero interest in books her whole life.   I would guess that over all there are about 3 boxes per grade of school, so just for reading level 1-4 there are 12 boxes of books.  I know that I am getting rid of a lot of my older kids books because of things going digital, but for little kids I still like paper books.  

I am thinking of donating them to a great large commercial daycare we use, but still have that little tinge of 'what if she finally clicks with books' and I would hate to not have them for her. We are talking about a lot of classics like the Little House books, Anne of Green Gables, Phantom Tollbooth, etc. but also probably 100 Step into reading or other leveled readers which are so nice for when kids start plowing through those books.  Then there are boxes that are already sorted by topic and cover several elementary years like Greeks/Romans/Mythology or Science books on any topic you can imagine (ds19 was a science kid and loved Eyewitness books). 

WWYD.   I kind of have the room to store them. They are in boxes lining a wall beside my laundry area, so while they are not in constant view,  they are not out of sight. 

I really want to purge but what if......

Yes.  My eldest discovered a couple of series she found fun, and now she is what I'd consider a reader.  :)

I have a basement full of books.  What kills me is how fast the kids went through some of the stages.  We never even got a chance to bring the books upstairs before they outgrew many of them.  I guess I should be glad!

DD plodded through a large number of Magic Treehouse and Step Into Reading books in first grade and then this year has revisited them for pleasure. I think she's getting much more enjoyment out of them this time around.

Maybe give it another year or two? Easy for me to say when I don't have to look at them!

I would keep the classics and a selection of the leveled readers. My ds didn't click with reading until later (almost 9) and he's still not a big reader. Having the important books on hand (important being however you define it) made me feel better when I needed to find something suitable for him. It was also helpful to have them on hand because he's a slower reader. Library due dates meant he'd have a hard time finishing books over a certain length. 

The space between Magic Tree House and easy novels was a hard place to fill for us. We did up with a few series that were a bit higher reading than MTH,  but still formulaic enough they weren't too complicated. I think A-to-Z mysteries was one. I would definitely keep something on hand like that. Lower level reading, yet higher level content and characters. 

I wouldn't give them all away yet. 

The space between Magic Tree House and easy novels was a hard place to fill for us. We did up with a few series that were a bit higher reading than MTH,  but still formulaic enough they weren't too complicated. I think A-to-Z mysteries was one. I would definitely keep something on hand like that. Lower level reading, yet higher level content and characters. 

This is exactly what we're experiencing here. I think that's why she's gone back to reading the Magic Tree House. I've been trying to partner read the easy novels with her to bridge the gap, but it's been a hard sell.

dudeling hated reading.  h.a.t.e.d.   If we even talked about letter sounds, he would get angry.  we did some vision therapy, and other things to help his auditory sensitivity.   he still didn't like to read, and would get upset if I tried to get him too.  slowly I was able to get him to read very easy beginning readers, or some of the earlier bob books.  now that you have that background . . .

Initially I had to force him, but eventually he did love stories read to him.  he doesn't look at the book while I'm reading, he's always doing something else.  building with lego, drawing, etc.  I made a rule he had to stay in the same room while I read aloud.  he pays attention, and will ask questions.  He will NOT read story math problems (I end up reading them to him.)  - even though they are his favorite.

eventually, he said he'll "read when I'm ten".

now, . . . . he wants computer memory.  he asked how he could get me to buy him some.  I told him when he becomes a really good reader.  He's now motivated to read, and said he would read a page a day - but he could read more if he wanted to.  I suggested a higher level beginning reader, but he wants a "longer chapter book".  he's reading snow treasure (I've read it to him twice, I'm not reading it again.).  he's going slow, I have to help him with the Norwegian words/names, but his attitude has totally changed.  we'll see if he finishes the book.  He's even said he's a better reader than he thought.   he's 8 1/2.  He's also announced it will take him about five chapter books to get good.

so at this age - read to him, read to him ,and read to him some more.  every day.

eta: dudeling is an aspie too.   I had many similar issues to him, and I struggled to learn to read.  I was probably about 12 when it "clicked".   (I had no support at all, or I probably would have started sooner.)   Once I started, I caught up and exceeded grade level very fast. 

your kids are young - give them time.  don't get rid of the books.  find out what their interests are, and get books in those subjects.  dudeling likes navy ships.  I'm sick of navy ships.  I send him to his dad to read those.   I read classics.   he loves Winnie the pooh - but hates Beatrix potter. (pity, I love the language.  but they are scary and he deals with anxiety.)   we just finished the wizard of oz  I started the lion, witch & wardrobe, but he's complaining it's scary.   I've james harriot's books - and may start reading those.  each chapter is a story - and  all about animals.

All of my children were voracious readers except one.  I could not find any book that she enjoyed.  She was much more wiggly and hands-on.  At the late elementary school age, she finally discovered a certain type of book that she loved -- more historically based rather than pretend -- and she absolutely loved them.   So, although she never wanted to read Harry Potter or other books like that, she loved historical novels, memoirs and biographies.  However, now that she is older and busier, she doesn't gravitate toward books in her down time like the rest of our family does.  She still enjoys "real life" stories very much (news), but doesn't usually pick up a book.

If you let a book go, you may never be able to purchase it again, except at high price on the used market.  I have watched the decay of bookstores since we started homeschooling in 1995.  Stores with three bookcases of children's history books now have three shelves -- maybe.  I won't state my opinions about children's "literature" because it would ignite a war.  (The use of quotation marks tells you the essential viewpoint.)  We have an exceptionally fine home library, both fiction and non-fiction, because I invested large sums of money in good books back when they were on the market. 

Yes, many children fall in love with books at an older age.  Our Asperger's son read nothing but catalogues -- (I am not joking.) -- until late elementary school.  Then he took off like a starveling!  Two other of our children had no interest in learning to read until well into the first grade.   Both of them, also, now live to read.

Sure, my dd did not like reading until she discovered Percy Jackson. Now she is a voracious reader. She is currently reading The Ranger's Apprentice series and she LOVES Eoin Colfer.

IME often there is a book that will set off a spark with previous non-readers and they will start to enjoy it. I just kept handing dd different things until Percy set her off, I figured something would get her going eventually. Both dh and I are big readers and my family is full of heavy readers. I still cannot get her to read Anne of Green Gables though. :( I loved that one.

• 2 months later...

My dd hated reading. Until about grade 5 or 6. She now reads all the time and spends most money from presents and part time job on books. If you had told me in fourth grade she would read so much I would not have believed you.

So, there is hope.

But...what does having all those books sitting around do for you mentally. My youngest isn't reading and may never read. When he was 10 I boxed up all but a few early readers. It was a drain to see all those books and be reminded of what ds wasn't doing. We read to him. Right now we are working through Narnia. We'll do Little House and the Harry Potter series as read alouds.

Although we had hundreds and hundreds of books dd never read many that were acquired for her older brother (he read all the time staring at age 4). She was through the early reader and early chapter books stage by the time she started to pick up books on her own. She read only a few of the lower level books only when required. She did no reading for pleasure when she was at the lower reading levels. Additionally, she had completely different interests, so her choice in middle school level reading was different.

I kept a small selection for each reading level and some novels to read to younger ds. If he learns to read and finds joy in it, we will have fun together building a home library for him. If/when he begins to choose reading as an activity, most early readers will be topically too young (they already are because he's 12).

I believe that having parents that read for pleasure is beneficial. The parent talking about what she reads to the other parent, in front of the children is beneficial. Going to the library on a regular basis is beneficial. Reading to  children multiple times a day, with no strings attached, is very beneficial. Setting aside a specific time of day, every day, for a parent to read to a child is wonderful. Setting aside a different specific time *every day* for the child to read to the parent, even if it is just one sentence,  until the child is fluent, is essential. Treating it all as matter-of-fact, without  dwelling on the child's dislike  (I'm not saying you do this), is helpful. Don't expect him to just pick up a book  and read it on his own. Do provide books on topics that he is interested in, even stuff you might think is junk. Bionicles were a hit here.  

When all else fails, check Calvin and Hobbes out of the library. Sit and read to yourself, chuckling and giggling, occasionally reading bits out loud to the other people in the room. Leave it lying around in plain view when not in use. 

I had two that balked at reading. One was because the stuff I made him read to me was too easy and boring for him and I didn't realize  it. The other struggled with ability but didn't want to read "baby books." So we painfully sounded our way through Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone one word, one phrase, one sentence, one paragraph, then one page at a time. Every Day. Whatever it takes.

Does she like to be read TO?

I ask because my Aspie didn't even read on his own until age 9 or 10.  He did like being read TO, but reading was so frustrating to him that he wouldn't do it.

He is now almost 16 and enjoys reading.  He is still painfully slow, and sometimes still gets frustrated, but he likes it.  I really encourage him to read books for pleasure, even if the other homeschool boys are making rude comments about how they read that one in 5th grade and are WAY beyond that……..(grrrrr……makes me MAD!)

He is also reading books for Co-op that are a stretch for him and he wouldn't choose to read on his own.  Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll, Hiroshima, and a few others.  

Dawn

One of my kids came to love reading much later than the other. She actually tested well at reading, but in terms of sitting down and doing it for pleasure? That came later for her. 1st grade is still very young. I used to do volunteer reading with first graders at a school and there were a fair number of 1st graders who were just not feeling it yet.

My first was an early and voracious reader. The rest were not. Dd1 and ds2 didn't read any series or much at all until they picked up Harry Potter (dd1 at 8, almost 9) and The Hobbit (ds2 at 8).

Dd2 (dsylexic) is now finally reading for fun. She just finished Holes and read in her free time-I think that is the first time it has ever happened.

Ds3 reads comics and Diary of a Wimpy Kid on his free time.  At 9 he still thinks of many other things to do than read a book.

Keep the books, they might enliven a boring summer day.  And they are classics, they can be read at any age.

Both my oldest two didn't like reading when they were in first grade. It has taken a lot of effort to push them through until they were able to read books that actually interested them. It's taken even more work for me to find books that my oldest ds found interesting. He is a very factual fellow and isn't into a lot of different kids books. I did finally find out that he either likes fantasy or factual. He doesn't like in between type fiction where it's close to real life but not real.

My youngest has been going the opposite direction. He was pumped about reading when he was 3 and 4. Now I have to drag him through it all.

I loved reading and read from the time I was little.  My brother didn't really start enjoying independent reading until he was closer to 3rd grade.  My daughter (with dyslexia) didn't pick up a book and read the whole thing cover to cover until this Christmas and she is 13.  All this to say every child is different.  I agree with Orthodox6 that you may never be able to easily find some of your books in print later on.  Print media is being seriously reduced by the electronic invasion.  I agree with PP, though, that if all the books are a mental drain on you, then cull them down.  Just pick the classics, some leveled readers, anything you think is special and save those, but cull the rest so you can have peace of mind and more space.

We culled down books recently and it was so painful for me because I LOVE books.  But it was hard to find the books we wanted because we are literally inundated.  My whole family and many in DH's family love books so they keep giving us books and I buy books all the time when I find clearance or used book sales.  Also, I had never gotten rid of a book in my life so my poor Hubby didn't just get a wife, he married over a 1000 books, along with my hand-made card catalog.  17 years later and it is really out of hand.  We HAD to de-clutter for my peace of mind, and the ability of the kids to organize their space, difficult as that task was.  We kept the ones that really mattered to us or I felt they might really want to read later on, plus some classics I want to read with them whether they choose them or not, etc.  and we culled the rest.  On the flip side, we were able to donate a lot of those books to a couple of families we are close with that have limited financial resources.  I see their kids reading the books we enjoyed and am grateful to find those books inspiring a love of reading in someone else now instead of gathering dust.

My 6 year old HFA has had no interest in books...even with me reading daily to her ect...until the last few months....now she is interested in learning to read...I really thought she would never get interested because she didn't care even when we read all the time...but now she is and so I am holding onto the hope that she will read some of the books that I have...and maybe someday she will even be more willing to sit for a read aloud longer than a few pages...