Menu

Good luggage

momofkhm

I'm putting this on the chat board even though it's for my college kid.  She longs to travel.  To the point that she is thinking about majoring in international affairs (95% sure).  One requirement for the program is 6 hours abroad.  Since it is what she wants to do in life and she has to go overseas for school anyway, I'm thinking about getting her some good luggage for Christmas.  Since I've been married, going to Target and getting the right size has been fine.  But I want to get something that will last a couple trips back and forth "across the pond".  Several trips, years would be better.  A one and done kind of purchase would be excellent!

But since I've never looked, I don't even know what to look for!  What brand names are good?  Which ones should I run from?  I don't even know where to start.

Thanks!

We have a couple of cases that we got from Tumi.  They have lasted really well (we lived overseas for twenty years and travelled inter-continentally several times each year).  Tumi can be really expensive, but each time we went to an outlet and bought 'last season's' cases.  One was reasonably attractive (black); the other is a not terribly wonderful brown.  They are good cases though.

If you are buying hand luggage, make sure to get international sizing (any shop should know the size) not US sizing - international is smaller and you will have problems as soon as you change planes outside the US if your hand luggage is US-sized.  Hand baggage is also weighed overseas if it looks heavy.

Also be aware that the standard checked luggage allowance in economy class is one 23kg (50 pound) bag when travelling overseas, so think carefully about how large you want suitcases to be.  This is the advice page from Virgin, for your reference.

L

My mother always went to a luggage store and bought the most expensive luggage guaranteed to last forever. And it did last forever till they changed luggage size rules and she got bored with it (forget which one came first  :001_smile: )

I on the other hand have gotten luggage at Kohls that is going strong 10+ years. Its polka dotted so no one is going to mistake it for theirs. It has weathered two trips to Asia and lots of domestic travel. 

I also recently got some bright blue paisley luggage from AAA that I am quite pleased with. Its so bold I don't think anyone will dare mistake it for theirs or try to steal it. 

We love every piece of luggage we have from LLBean.  Watch for their specials - if you subscribe to their emails, they periodically do 15% off everything.  Definitely worth the money.  We've lived overseas twice, dd did a year in England, and the pieces are still in fabulous shape.

Even a great bag can get mangled by airport equipment. I think size and weight are more important than the brand. We've even had good luck picking up luggage at thrift shops (and once, even dumpster-diving). A tough, lightweight bag is really helpful, but nothing is foolproof.

The first few times I went overseas, there was a 70-pound limit. Now that it's generally just fifty pounds, it's really hard to fill our largest suitcases that were designed for 70 pounds. However, it always seems like there's just one thing that will only fit in the largest bags, so we still have them.

Typical US rolling carryons can be annoying to deal with on international flights, especially if you're going to far-flung destinations. Like Laura said, don't just rely on US-standard dimensions.

If you want a great American made bag, look at Boyt.  They have an online store with old models at discounts. 

I have an LL Bean waxed canvas duffel that looks like it has been through the wars but is still going strong.  My husband's garment bag for business travel is a Bean product.  My son uses an Osprey backpack that was purchased from LL Bean.

I have been very happy with products made by Eagle Creek.  I have these neat nylon packing cubes that are terrific.  I use one for night stuff; another for knit shirts that I roll up; a third for underwear and socks.  Eagle Creek also makes great bags with lots of pockets for travel organizing.  The roller bag that I carry on to planes is an Eagle Creek bag.  A great stocking stuffer that you can sew for your daughter would be drawstring bags for shoes or small zip bags for other items. For example, I have one that I use to hold adapters.  It might be fun to create a small first aid kit and a sewing kit for her future travel experiences.

Subway systems in older cities often have stairs.  I have seen many American tourists struggle on stairs with what I call "dead body bags".  There are advantages to traveling light...

DH used to travel regularly for work and we used to have to replace suitcases yearly due to them falling apart. The one that has held together for us is a Samsonite made with lightweight ballistic nylon and spinner wheels. That one still looks brand new.

Any idea where she is likely to be traveling? I did a semester in East Africa in college and no typical luggage would have served me well for that trip. Wheeled luggage would have just been a joke on the transit there. For any third world travel, I would suggest a roomy camping-type frame pack and something like a Jansport backpack.

We bought this one for Ds19 a couple years ago and it has served him well.  He was heading to Haiti for a few weeks and we had no idea what conditions he would encounter while there.   It is not a super light bag, but is well designed and is a quality product. 

High Sierra drop bottom

It has back pack straps for when the wheels are practical

Straps and handles in muliple locations to make carrying it easy

Smartly designed compartments 

and many other great attributes.

Any idea where she is likely to be traveling? I did a semester in East Africa in college and no typical luggage would have served me well for that trip. Wheeled luggage would have just been a joke on the transit there. For any third world travel, I would suggest a roomy camping-type frame pack and something like a Jansport backpack.

With her current interests, Europe.  She blogged after the study abroad fair that her favorites were England, France and Germany.  

But this is my girl that wants to travel.  Depending on what she ends up studying, I could see her happily traveling all over the world.  We have a friend whose dd works for the State Department.  She researches and writes reports as a major function of her job, possibly all over the globe.  My dd heard that and said something like "I can do that!"

If you want to buy it once (though it will be more expensive up front) look for aircrew luggage. They're well built and the right size for commuting on planes.

Much luggage that I have seen air crew carrying has been very solid looking, perhaps because they are typically going straight to a nearby hotel.  Weight is another consideration for the rest of us - for example, getting across London on the Tube without lifts/escalators in all stations (because the system is 150 years old).

L

travel pro

tumi (check Costco - they carry at least one bag.)

briggs and riley has a lifetime warranty that used to cover airline damage. (not sure if it still does).  I have a 30 inch that has gone back and forth many times to the east coast (minimum one-transfer trips) for dd's school, and south America (including travel within chile).  then 2ds used it, and it is still in good shape.  btw: I bought them used.   b&r is the *only* bag it is safe to have the handle pulls on the outside of the bag.  their's don't break, others' bags will.

heys

look at ebags.com.   consider the weight and dimensions of the bag because international carry-ons need to be even smaller than domestic.

Another vote for LL Bean. I've had this set for several years now, and it's still going strong after several international flights and a few cruises.

Like a PP mentioned, it's good to have light bags so they don't eat into your weight limit. These are nice and light but still sturdy.

I have them in red (like another PP said, to stand apart from all the black at the baggage carousel) and it has got many grease stains from the abuse that goes on behind the plastic curtain once you check the bags.

Finally, my only comment on the complete set is that while it may seem like a good value to buy the set, the carry-on shoulder bag is pretty much worthless. Tiny, unwieldy, and frankly ugly. It may be better to buy pieces separately to get bags that will actually be used, even if it seems like more of an initial expense. 

Even a great bag can get mangled by airport equipment.

I've given up on expensive luggage.  Every time I travel, either the bag gets mangled in transit (the last one was hit hard on the back, crushing the metal tube that contained the telescoping handle, so it no longer can be used), or the TSA rips it apart (tearing out all of the reinforcement along the sides of the bag, presumably looking for potential contraband).  

Instead, I try to fly with a minimum of stuff, using only a carry-on bag and an under-the-seat backpack.  This goes double when I travel to Europe, where I will have to lug it all via public transport of various kinds.

I'd go with the lightest weight option you can find.  ...Remember, a 10 pound bag is 20% of the weight limit.

Subway systems in older cities often have stairs.  I have seen many American tourists struggle on stairs with what I call "dead body bags".  There are advantages to traveling light...

Weight is another consideration for the rest of us - for example, getting across London on the Tube without lifts/escalators in all stations (because the system is 150 years old).

Yes, yes, yes.  Lightweight travel is the way to go.

I have an American Flyer Black Elite Quattro 21 that I love.  I have used it on every overseas trip and for every sports road trip and vacation for 7 years and it still looks brand new.

The 21-inch suitcase is considered a "weekender", but since I have traveled so much, I know how to pack well.  This suitcase is lightweight, but my favorite things about it are the 4-wheels and the tilt handle.

I highly recommend the resource www.onebag.com. He has lots of information about what bag to choose and a great packing list. The bundle packing he recommends is wonderful! I didn't always pack lightly, but travel is much easier now that I do. I only had to lug a huge, over-stuffed suitcase up and down 6 flights a couple of times before I realized that.  :tongue_smilie: 

I have a Red Oxx Air Boss that I like, but I think if I were to get another one, I would choose the Red Oxx Sky Train so I could carry it on my back. The construction of the Air Boss, at least, is great. I expect it will easily outlive me. 

I travel a lot for my job.  Like, a crazy amount.  

My all-time favorite luggage is my newest, by Genius Pack.  Very rugged, very well made, crazy organized. 

The only thing I don't love about it is if you really fill all the storage that's available in the top "lid" portion, it can sometimes be top-heavy and fall over unless you have equal weight in the rest of the bag.  It's rare, though.  I really love this stuff, and have bought most of the accessories, too. 

We travel a lot but we rarely travel light. We have slowly replaced all our bags with Ful duffel bags. We get them at Costco usually, though I think Amazon sells them. They have a hard bottom (so you can pack fragiles or suits, and a soft top. A full one usually weighs right on the money at 23kg, unless you've stuffed it with books or something. Ours have done many international trips all over the world, and none of them show any signs of wear. The zippers are sturdy, the wheels and handles all in great shape. Downside is a bit generic, I suppose, but could be made more noticeable with a strap. For the price they can't be beat (usually run about $60 at Costco), and they store pretty flat which is also a bonus, as storing 14+ suitcases can be a problem. Anyway, anytime we're not doing carry-ons only, these are our go-to bags. 

I travel a lot for my job.  Like, a crazy amount.  

My all-time favorite luggage is my newest, by Genius Pack.  Very rugged, very well made, crazy organized. 

The only thing I don't love about it is if you really fill all the storage that's available in the top "lid" portion, it can sometimes be top-heavy and fall over unless you have equal weight in the rest of the bag.  It's rare, though.  I really love this stuff, and have bought most of the accessories, too. 

I highly recommend the resource www.onebag.com. He has lots of information about what bag to choose and a great packing list. The bundle packing he recommends is wonderful! I didn't always pack lightly, but travel is much easier now that I do. I only had to lug a huge, over-stuffed suitcase up and down 6 flights a couple of times before I realized that.  :tongue_smilie: 

I have a Red Oxx Air Boss that I like, but I think if I were to get another one, I would choose the Red Oxx Sky Train so I could carry it on my back. The construction of the Air Boss, at least, is great. I expect it will easily outlive me. 

Wow! Just looked both of these up, and they seem incredible! I love when creative people come up with ways to make a better mousetrap.

I bundle pack as well.  Always, now.  It's amazing how much you can fit in a bag when you pack correctly. 

My kids have done a lot of traveling, and what they all have liked is one regular rolling suitcase that in a pinch could be a carry-on (but you can also do the expandable zipper and really stuff it full and then check it), and a backpack that is about 50-60L size.  Several of my kids have a Delsey brand suitcase for their rolling one.  I don't know the exact size, but on most airlines it fits within the carry-on limit, although they like to check it when they can (if there's no extra charge!).  Delsey has lots of lines;  we go with one of their cloth (as opposed to plastic) lines;  they are lightweight and really durable.  Departments stores often have sales on them!  For backpacks we usually go to a good name store like REI and actually try them on with one of the store experts who knows what they're doing.