Menu

Trend Alert: Rainbow Looms?

Spy Car

I got ya. I'm the least authority around on these things thus far.

Although I am somewhat curious to see what new bands my son will come home wearing today.

Oh good grief, I'm getting sucked in :D

Bill

Of course you are.  You know, there's a lot of math in patterns and weaving.  ;-)

P.S.- she says that the videos by "ashleighsteph" are the better ones to watch on YouTube.  She says that this girl really explains things well and her videos are clear and easy to see things   :)

When I googled I came up with one of her videos. Haven't watched any others but that girl makes it look easy. Fascinating trend and a great gift idea for Christmas! Thank you.

Does anyone know what the regular (non-sale) price is at Michael's?

I was at Michaels today and they had something for the rubber bands that was $17 but they did not have any so I don't know what it looked like.

We also went to AC Moore and they had something that was $5 on sale from $9 but I don't know what it was, they were out of it.

I bought a couple packets of rubber bands for dd. 

Dh had some craft shopping to do, I did not actually run amok for rubber band things. :lol: 

I just saw these at D's studio -- the box is daunting -- big plastic affair with dividers.  There had to be a few hundred bands in there.  I saw a little bag of them on the local pharmacy counter and assumed they were for sprucing up braces.

Well, nothing a shopvac couldn't pick up from the van floor.

I'm bad for the pocketbook :D

Hopefully you don't reget the purchases?

Bill

The ones we've tried so far have all been a great fit for ds.  I keep hoping you will post more about what you are using.  A Rainbow Loom was ... unexpected.  (But I bought one anyway.)

I will have to look at these but from the description, it sounds like something we did at school in the late 60's, early 70's.  (I started kindergarten in 68).  They were these little metal looms or squares with points all around and we would be given different colors of elasticized cloth bands and you would weave them and end up with a pot holder.  I don't know why we did this in school but I think we did it a few times.

I will have to look at these but from the description, it sounds like something we did at school in the late 60's, early 70's.  (I started kindergarten in 68).  They were these little metal looms or squares with points all around and we would be given different colors of elasticized cloth bands and you would weave them and end up with a pot holder.  I don't know why we did this in school but I think we did it a few times.

I had one of those metal looms, but this is different.  The potholder looms used big fabric bands, while this uses teeny rubber bands that are maybe 1cm across.  The loom itself is a vertical thingie in clear plastic.   I just got good at making maybe three lanyard weaves, but this looks complicated.  So far, DD has not pined for one.

Some tweens were using this at co-op last week. If the weather is especially beautiful, I cut my class short and give the kids (girls 8-11) a recess. A couple of them whipped out a kit instead of running around. I'd never seen them before that. It seems to take the place of the embroidery floss friendship bracelets that my teen made at that age.

Some tweens were using this at co-op last week. If the weather is especially beautiful, I cut my class short and give the kids (girls 8-11) a recess. A couple of them whipped out a kit instead of running around. I'd never seen them before that. It seems to take the place of the embroidery floss friendship bracelets that my teen made at that age.

My daughter made the embroidery floss bracelets a year or two ago, they were popular with her friends then.

She found out about these a bit ago...from her friend in the Santa Monica area! But it is popular here, too, evidently, the looms were in the front of Michaels and no coupons were allowed for their purchase.

The boy down the street has this and made a bracelet for DS. He hasn't taken it off, lol!

He said he wants one. I saw them at the Hallmark store today and picked one up- do you think if I wait until Christmas to give it to him, it will be "old" or "lame"?

I was concerned about that too, fads can quickly come and go... I think I'm going to give my kids the loom soon, so instead of waiting until Christmas they can practice now and then use it to make Christmas gifts for their friends. 

My girls have weaved using 2 pencils and made a few designs, but I think they are ready for more.