Menu

if you we to do a minimalist 1St grade year what would you do?

bttrflyvld

We do a simple K-second grade anyway.

*ETC workbooks (5-15 minutes)

*Phonics Pathways and BOB books or other easy phonics readers (5-15 minutes)

*Miquon and education Unboxed videos (10-30 minutes)

*Addition and subtraction practice via free printables online (google Math Coloring Pages and you'll get some cute color by sum/difference sheets) (5-10 minutes, and usually only 2x per week, not daily)

*Copywork for handwriting (5-10 minutes)

Seat work could be done in 30-80 minutes, depending on her level and how you are feeling that day.

*Mom reading (or listening to cd's/librivox recording) quality picture books, literature, poetry, bible (as much as possible, 1-3 hours)

IF we got through that-(pick one of these per day, just cycle through the extras as you get to them)

*Magic school bus videos and books, Let's Read and Find Out books, Iibrary books on whatever science topic they want

*Story of the World (usually just reading or listening to the audio) very rarely a project (my kids don't really enjoy or prefer projects that are 'moms' idea, they'd much rather act out/create a block scene/draw a picture/ect their own ideas)

*Quality art supplies available, How To Draw books (there are a bunch of them, just pick one you guys like) and good paper, an art print book and if something catches your/her eye, look up info on the artist online

*Classical music cd or streaming from online. At this age, we just play it during tea time, or copywork time, but if you are more organized, you can play one composer per week/month and read a short biography (found online)

*Nature Journaling-just a small sketch book, some good colored pencils and send her outside lol some ideas are leaves, bugs, birds, seasonal changes, trees, flowers, stars, sunrise and sunset...The Nature Connection book is awesome for scripted lessons, is cheap, and available on amazon. I do NOt think you have to be scripted, but if you want to,that's a pretty good option.

Phonics (AAR for us) looks like you are using OPGTR -- lots of books to read

Math Mammoth

HWOT 1

WWE 1

FLL 1 (not necessary, but we like it)

Magic School Bus DVDs and library books for science

Probably just read the SL core A or B read alouds for history/lit going deeper as time allowed.

Another easy option for history would be SOTW audio, then use the AG for coloring /map pages.

I'm minimalist up to about 3rd grade anyway.

For 1st:

Math Mammoth with manipulatives and games

Phonics Pathways with ETC

WWE or copywork and narration from across the curricula (we do penmanship practice during copywork instead of a separate program)

Tag along for history, science, and literature with older siblings (If they didn't have older siblings I would just explore science and history through documentaries, library books, and field trips)

Lots of read alouds and picture books

If I were (or you are) enjoying FIAR vol. 1, I would just stick with that and do FIAR volume 2 or 3. It's a good program for doing as much or as little as you feel like doing in any given week. I would add in some math, continue working on reading and find a handwriting workbook. Other than that, I would enjoy the outdoors as much as possible.

We've done fairly minimal K-2 years.  

We're currently doing:

• phonics instruction and math (nearly daily)
  • lots of science non-fiction from the library (mostly interest-based)
  • Bible storybook as often as we can
  • Everything else:  Theme units!  For example, September was "APPLE" focused.  We read fiction/NF about apples.  We did a few cooking activities.  We did 3-4 art projects/crafts.  We did a life cycle chart.  We wrote about it all in our notebooks.  Read about life on an apple farm.  Next up:  Fall/Leaves ... and in October:  Pumpkins.  (I blame my obsession with theme units on my years teaching in public school, haha.  But school isn't school -- for me -- without doing some of these fun activities!)

Phonics Pathways, unless already finished... if so, lots of good picture books. I love the books recommended in SOTW Vol. 1, if we managed some history, I'd bring these home for dc to read.

Queen's Language Lessons for Little Ones Vol. 3 (covers language arts)

Pentime Penmanship

Saxon Math

If we had energy, SOTW and Elemental Science. :001_smile:

For homeschooling with little kids around, I like workbooks that are open and go, with no prep work.  That way, when there's an unexpected quiet moment it's easy to pull them out and just do them.  They also allow me to wander in and out of the room as needed while she's working.  And I actually like having a lot of choices, because it can keep her busy while I'm dealing with the little ones.  I don't know if these are minimalist, but I recommend them for that!  I like Growing with Grammar and Winning with Writing (and kinda wish I'd also bought Soaring with Spelling), the Zaner-Bloser handwriting workbook, and Math Mammoth.

If she can already read by then, I'd just LET her read rather than continue to TEACH her to read. Then I'd do more phonics/spelling later on, IF she needed it.

I'd do SOME math. Whatever seemed easiest to ME. I'd again worry about what got missed LATER on, and be happy that SOMETHING got done.

A big book basket. Some DVDs. for science and social studies and literature.

I'd do some sort of handwriting/copywork/dictation IF I were up to it. If not, I'd just let her read more.

I'd get her some crayons and volume 1 of Draw Write Now. I'd break each lesson up into multiple lessons. Just practice hills one day. Trees another. Grass and flowers another. An animal or building another.

Cuddle time with books and DVDs.

I find it easier to read aloud from an eReader when one handed. I like the Yesterday's Classics. 225 books go on sale for $50.00. The subscription for the new books as they are being published is $50.00 a year. There are 77 books published so far and 2 more a week. All of the books in the Ambleside Online curriculum are quickly being published. You don't need any of that. You can use any books or eBooks, but if I were nursing a baby, and didn't want to have to go to the library, I'd want an eReader and both the YC package and the subscription books. Maybe also the Heritage History Young Reader's collection. I'd stay home in my pjs with boobies hanging out all day, reading AO's book list.

Reading.  Either a primer or just practice, wherever she's at in ability.

Handwriting. 

Math.  

Have a special time each day where you read aloud.  Agreeing that the Kindle is great for reading while nursing.

Enjoy the baby!  1st grade is better done minimalist than with all the extras.  Let the extras come at the child's doing.  Allow for more free creativity...contained to a table, a room, a box.

I would do math games, flash cards lying around and cook with her whenever possible but wouldn't stress.  And living math books.

I would read, have audio books, and make sure to do library whenever possible.  I would have the older kids read to each other or to the baby.

I would have art stuff available.  Crayons, markers, glue, paper, playdoh, rice bin, water/sand table, whatever.  I would contain this to one room I didn't have to look at.

I would have legos, maybe the new goldiblox game, puzzles and other engineering, puzzly type activities.  

And I would enjoy that year with a newborn and two little ones.  They are only that young once and she will be fine.  

I'd do LA (I use ABeka for handwriting, phonics, and reading and AAS, WWE, and FLL) and math (MUS for us). I'd do a Bible story from a Bible reader and memorize verses and catechism. If I had time, I'd add in FIAR. Otherwise, I'd try to read some books a couple times a week relating to history or science. This year is our 1st grade year, and you can see our curriculum in my signature.

Thanks for the confidence booster. I was feeling a bit worried about next year. I'll have a 1St grader and a preschooler. it will be so different next year. this year has been so fun until I just got hit with horrible morning sickness and I'm so exhausted. I don't remember feeling this tired so early with the last two, but I guess I'm chasing around two this go around.

I think I'm going to watch for some great audio books and snatch them up when I set them for next year. I'd like to find sotw of CD, that way we could easily learn history and not worry about the activities next year.

my oldest (kindergarten) is becoming a great reader and I plan on using that to our advantage. So I'm thinking we'll continue opgtr, math (either math mammoth or Saxon), and Zaner-bloser handwriting. And look into ao, sonlight, or fiar for their book lists. We'll also utilize the library to add science topics if interest.

Its hard to not plan all the extras. I love doing them. Its just me. Buy I know its not wise to set yourself up for burnout when you can still have a fun year without waring yourself to a frazzle.

We love read alouds and will utilize quiet time on the couch. We can still have a great year. I love the ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Home and family, the atmosphere, is more precious than any of the extras. Reread the Christmas part in Little House on the Prairie. It was a no frills Christmas, but it was so much better than a Christmas with frills.

I know of many homeschoolers looking back who remember the times of poverty and sickness when they dropped the frills, as their favorite and most efficient times.

Phonics/reading 

math

history (SOTW)

bible/devotions

Phonics, using something easy-peasy w/o a lot of bells and whistles, like Phonics Pathways.

Reading using...well, reading. No analysing or filling out worksheets or comprehension question pages.

Math--any program you like (I like Saxon)

History w/SOTW--this also incorporates narration, copywork, art/craft, memory work, read alouds, and maps/geography, as well as fine motor work (coloring--helps improve muscles for handwriting) and handwriting practice (by copying the narrations). 3X a week

Bible/devotions--done each morning, can incorporate some memory work

I like to kill several birds with the stone of history! lol 

I don't like just doing math and reading, because I think history provides the "fun" of schooling.

I'd also do science, but thru nature study/walks/park days/pet care/cooking/fun trips to museums and that sort of thing.

Buy Liberty's Kids while it is still under $10, save for next year!

http://www.amazon.com/Libertys-Kids-The-Complete-Series/dp/B00CMDPTTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380214679&sr=8-1&keywords=Libertys+kids

My daughter loved the Starfall extras at that age, calendar, etc. When you have a lot going on, it helps to limit computer and movie time to educational things.

We are currently doing a minimal first grade. It looks kind of like this:

1 hour math (DS and I are both mathy)

Cursive practice of about 10 words

30 minutes of reading practice

We end up doing a lot more including SoTW and science but it is all interest led. DS loves learning about anything and is a strong reader so I don't feel the need for much formal seat work. Right now we are traveling across the US so he gets a lot of science, geography, and writing from things like the National Park Junior Ranger program and museums we visit.

Thinking about next school year, I realize (due to a new baby) that I won't be able to all the extras I usually do. I still want to give my daughter a great year without wearing myself out.

What list of subjects would you do?

Phonics

Math

Read books when I was up to it.

Educational videos.

That's all.

For the basics, I'd recommend Phonics, Math, Five in a Row (which will include some art, geography and science), plus reading aloud as much other sweet children's lit and poetry as you can fit in.  I know there are a ton of reading lists to choose from; I found homeschoolshare.com to be a great resource--I just looked up their lapbook units and selected a lot of those stories as reading material even though I didn't do all the activities to go with them.

You didn't ask specifically for other programs, but since I see you are currently using Saxon, I will mention that I switched to CLE Math 2 after completing Saxon 1 because I found it more open and go, which was invaluable with younger kiddos to balance.  It is similar in spiral format, but I like that explanations of concepts are given/illustrated in the student workbook (which is called a Light Unit). 

As far as things she can do independently while you are busy with the littles, my kids love the "Tour the States" video on YouTube, and I made myself a favorites list that I could play for them to cover some drill type activities without me having to lead it.  (skip counting, etc.) Also, I was just reading on another thread that BrainPop has a pretty cheap monthly rate for their iPad app.

Congratulations on your coming little one!

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing a minimalist 1st grade.

Daily work (except Thurs; we don't do school on Thursday at all): reading lessons (ETC and OPGTR are my guides; I teach on the fly a lot), Miquon math (1 page a day, we love it) and copywork (which right now means copying 3-letter words or just a few letters I write down--VERY basic).

I read a little bit from A Child's History of the World each week, covering about a chapter.  I consider this non-essential, and in fact, with my next child, I'll probably just do SOTW on audio.  If that!  My son does art lessons and swim lessons and we are part of a CC group (we review memory work each day for maybe 5 minutes--I keep it fun, but I do not use CC as a curriculum at all at this age).  No science, grammar, spelling.  I read aloud good books, so that's an important part of the day.  We live in the country, so we spend a lot of time outside.  I try to facilitate as many projects as my son wants to create and am trying to play more board games.  oh--I also play piano for half an hour or so each day and he makes his own music alongside me. :) Just fun stuff.   And we do chores every day!

That's it.  

Math

Handwriting

Reading or Spelling (depending on where the child is at)

Library books for reading aloud (a good thing to do while feeding the baby)

Good educational videos and/or apps for an iPad. Favorite videos around here include Magic School Bus, Liberty Kids, and School House Rock. We have a ton of educational iPad apps too.

I would also consider some foreign language exposure--nothing formal or hardcore, but definitely lots of exposure.

Check your library and 2nd hand stores for DVD's, VHS, CDs and books. One of those first 1000 word type books and some simple phrases and questions can get you off to a good start.

Ds' first grade was reading, handwriting and math plus participation in our homeschool group's academic fairs (biography fair project, science fair project, etc.) I know this isn't popular with all homeschoolers, but he also took quite a few enrichment classes/activies over the course of the year. Two or three afternoons a week he'd have pottery, ice skating, nature/outdoor survival class, a Waldorf-y class with lots of seasonal crafts, plays, songs and other activities, choir, soccer, homeschool park day, etc. Not all at once, mind you, but little 6-8 week sessions of various classes here and there throughout the year. He's a crafty kid and well, try as I might, I'm just not a crafty homeschool mom. It just worked well for us to focus on minimalist yet solid academics at home and let him do the arts, crafts, music, etc. that he so *craved* with other children. And, it gave me several free hours many afternoons to rest with the baby, run errands, do things at home, etc.

Everyone has given you great ideas. I agree with:

• FIAR  or you picking cool read alouds - fiction/non-fiction - if you don't want to follow FIAR
  • math (games, manipulatives - focus on place value & understanding the why)
  • phonics (she reads aloud to you if she's reading by then)
  • up to 10 minutes of handwriting
  • and letting her do crafts or self-directed play.

I would add:

• Gently and consistently work on having her follow directions, put away things when she's done playing with them, and do a few simple chores each day.

Home and family, the atmosphere, is more precious than any of the extras. Reread the Christmas part in Little House on the Prairie. It was a no frills Christmas, but it was so much better than a Christmas with frills.

It was a romanticised and nostalgic remembrance of her childhood. Of course her romanticised version is better than a real one, no matter how many frills it had or didn't have.