Menu

Homeopathic medicine...yay or nay?

dancer67

Does it actually work?

I want to get off my anxiety medication and avoid starting yet another antidepressent.

I came across Newton Homeopathics. Has anyone used their products? I bought the Nervousness/Anxiety complex. I have been told these do not interact with any prescription medications.

Would love to hear your experiences with homeopathic medicines, and what products you have used that have actually worked. Or have not.

I haven't used that particular product, but I did try a homeopathic years ago for anxiety.  I can't remember the name of it now.  But it was a definite nay.  I took it for a long time and couldn't tell it made any difference at all.  I was hoping to at least get a placebo effect, but nope.

honestly - hie thee to a naturopath who specializes in that area, don't just try to treat yourself with homeopathic remedies.  you want to find out the cause, and treat that.  d3, b12, etc. deficiencies can all contribute to anxiety and depression. (especially if you have a mthfr mutation.) Or it could be lacking in a particular neurotransmitters (and I'm not talking about serotonin - which is what most anti-depressants try to fix. that's just one.).

I used boiron (brand) for a sinus infection because I didn't want "another" antibiotic - and it worked. (It worked as fast as an antibiotic - and I was definitely headed for one if the boiron hadn't worked.)   I now use it for colds with good effect.  (along with mucinex and sudaphed.)

eta: we know the supplements help dudeling.  I took him off everything while he was being formally assessed. within days, everyone was asking (re: begging) when he was going back on the supplements.  even 2dd who as a 1st year pharmD student and heard at least once a week in each class - what a rip-off the supplement industry is.   (not.)

I have no idea about the differences between homeopathic/supplements/whatever.

My ds takes a combo of supplements that I believe are helping.

He took them for a while, then got an ear infection which required antibiotics that he had a reaction to, so steroids and a different antibiotic were added. Anyway, the supplements were stopped because the timing of everything was too much. In the time he was off them, plus the addition of steroids, created a monster!

Dd didn't know he was off the supplements and commented one day that he *had* been being nicer, but was a jerk again. If confirmed what I saw.

In a few weeks, if he turns around again, it is absolutely the supplements. It's a mix of stuff that "supports brain function and sleep," and "targets anxiety."

I haven't heard of that one.  Years ago someone online gave me a list of things to take to avoid taking antidepressant medicines.  It did help and just recently I have started taking it all again.  

I like the Boiron products and our family uses homepathy for colds in winter.  If we just aren't getting better after a month we will finally go to the Dr, but we try a lot of things beforehand.  Like Elderberry liquid, oil of oregano, garlic and such. Neti pot for sinus issues.  We use Boiron Coldcalm.  Always happy with results.  Oh, and that virus killing soup someone posted on here years ago.  It rocks.  And the Arnica cream is good for sore muscles, but dd also takes that in homeopathic form as well.  And I used to take one for anxiety.  I know there is something in the kids boiron kit for anxiety too.  

I also use essential oils for things.  I would suggest going to a Whole Foods or local organic store that has a large supply of homeopathic medicine and ask someone to guide you.  The library should have several books about this as well.  

I don't know about homeopathic antidepressants.  First, I'd look up which basic vitamins are particularly important and make sure you're taking those (e.g., a quality B-complex and D3).

You might research inositol (B-8).

Read a lot of amazon reviews when available.  Do a lot of googling, with a skeptical eye.

There are a number of homeopathic supplements I really like (e.g. elderberry, etc.) but often it's hard to know until you try.  One look in my medicine cabinet in my kitchen and you can see that I have tried many more products than actually work.  It all depends on the product - it's the wild west.  Caveat emptor.

I have had numerous blood tests. I am not deficient in anything other then iron which I take iron pills for. Thyroid is fine, everything is good. I have the Boiron catalog as well. Has Boiron products seem to be better?

who did the blood tests? what was tested? an alternative care provider or an allopathic provider?  it matters because allopathic do NOT test for many things that can affect anxiety and depression.  

even my dd's former allopath-but-likes-alternative-tx provider (who tested for many things most allopaths don't even think about, let alone test for.) dismissed dd's abnormal dna test results as "irrelevant".  (she has a homozygous mutation. re: 70% reduction in ability to use particular nutrients, and make particular neurotransmitters.  IT WAS WHAT WAS WRONG!!!!!!!  livid does not begin to describe my feelings when I found out.  especially since I had specifically asked about it because I have two children with confirmed heterozygous mutations, who were symptomatic.  she's now seeing a naturopath of my choosing and doing far, far better with direct supplementation of what she is lacking.)

eta: when choosing vitamins - make sure they are in the most bioavailable form.  MOST vitamins on the market aren't and your body must convert them meaning: you aren't getting as much of  the vitamin as the label says, and you also get waste products your body must excrete.

what works depends upon what is lacking - so it will vary according to person.

No. Homeopathic "medicines" (which mean water or sugar pills that supposedly once experienced proximity to an agent/herb that would cause the same symptoms that the "remedy" claims to relieve, and which were then diluted to the point where no molecules of "active ingredient" remain, and all that is left is sugar/water that is "supposedly" transformed by the "vibrations" of the pre-dilution proximity to the active agent) are a fraud.

Homeopathy is a complete and total fraud. The whole thing is preposterous.

You get very expensive sugar-pills or sugar-syrup. Nothing more.

It is a pure placebo. If you want to spend your funds on placebo go ahead, but a sugar-pill would do the same (as there is no difference).

"Herbal remedies" are not the same as "homeopathy" (the two are often conflated). Herbal remedies generally have "active ingredients" than may trigger actions in the body (for either better or ill), but homeopathic "remedies" don't do anything (beyond any placebo effect) other than to reduce ones savings.

Bill

No. Homeopathic "medicines" (which mean water or sugar pills that supposedly once experienced proximity to an agent/herb that would cause the same symptoms that the "remedy" claims to relieve, and which were then diluted to the point where no molecules of "active ingredient" remain, and all that is left is sugar/water that is "supposedly" transformed by the "vibrations" of the pre-dilution proximity to the active agent) are a fraud.

Homeopathy is a fraud. The whole thing is preposterous.

It is a pure placebo. If you want to spend your funds on placebo go ahead, but a sugar-pill would do the same (as there is no difference).

"Herbal remedies" are not the same as "homeopathy" (the two are often conflated). Herbal remedies generally have "active ingredients" than may trigger actions in the body (for either better or ill), but homeopathic "remedies" don't do anything (beyond any placebo effect) other than to reduce ones savings.

Bill

Drat.  I guessed that it was going to take 12 minutes for Bill to post this.  I was off by almost an hour!  Totally losing my touch.

Thanks for the vocab lesson.  I guess I was talking about herbal remedies, as I imagine OP was as well...

Thanks for the vocab lesson.  I guess I was talking about herbal remedies, as I imagine OP was as well...

Two totally different things. Herbal remedies (as I know you are well aware) have been used as medicine since ancient times, because they contain "active ingredients" that cause a response in the body. Many modern medicines are based on herbal remedies, and to this day big-Pharma sends ethno-biologists and other scientists out into the field to "discover" the ingredients in traditional medicines. Herbal remedies can have very powerful effects in the human body. That can be great, or not so great (depending).

But so-called "homeopathic medicine" has no active ingredients. They are 100% sugar, water, or other inert material.

They really don't "do" anything (beyond serving as a "placebo") and making some folks a lot of money.

Bill

Don't try to treat yourself, go to a naturopath. I started training (but didn't finish) with a naturopath and there are so many things that will make treatment x good for person y with disease z, but different prescription for person a with disease z.

I saw some homeopathy work with great results, but homeopathy is definitely not something that can be self prescribed. Those "one size fits all" mixes in my experience were not the best. Better to get the separate individual remedies.

Currently we are using several supplements(vitamins/herbs) that have seen HUGE differences with them. So "alternative" (I don't like that word, herbs were here first before big pharmaceutical came along) does work, if used correctly. Used willy-nilly? may or may not.

I see a naturopathic doctor and have found working with her and taking some herbal supplements to be very helpful with anxiety and mood. That said, I totally agree with Bill on homeopathy. People often confuse naturopathic and homeopathic though and I reckon the OP wasn't distinguishing between the two in her OP. See an actual ND. You may have a very good outcome/result from that.

Don't try to treat yourself, go to a naturopath. I started training (but didn't finish) with a naturopath and there are so many things that will make treatment x good for person y with disease z, but different prescription for person a with disease z.

I saw some homeopathy work with great results, but homeopathy is definitely not something that can be self prescribed. Those "one size fits all" mixes in my experience were not the best. Better to get the separate individual remedies.

Currently we are using several supplements(vitamins/herbs) that have seen HUGE differences with them. So "alternative" (I don't like that word, herbs were here first before big pharmaceutical came along) does work, if used correctly. Used willy-nilly? may or may not.

But "herbs" and homeopathy are not the same thing. 

If one takes an herb like St John's Wart it will likely cause a response in the body (for better or ill, and may [or may not] cause problems with drug-interactions, depending), but there is no denying that it contains "active ingredients" that have a drug-like effect.

Homeopathic pills, in contrast, have no active ingredients. They are just sugar-pills or plain water. They have no effect (beyond serving as a placebo).

Bill

I see a naturopathic doctor and have found working with her and taking some herbal supplements to be very helpful with anxiety and mood. That said, I totally agree with Bill on homeopathy. People often confuse naturopathic and homeopathic though and I reckon the OP wasn't distinguishing between the two in her OP. See an actual ND. You may have a very good outcome/result from that.

Actually the OP mentioned Newton Homeopathics.

They are a company that markets "classic" (read: 100% ineffective) homeopathic "cures" to consumers.

It is bogus.

Bill

Guest submarines

I used to believe that homeopathy was a fraud / placebo, until I experienced a very definite effect which was the opposite of what I expected.  In addition, even if it is "just" a placebo effect, and it what it takes one's brain to alter its chemistry, and make the person feel better, then it is effective. 

I am going to answer this without looking at other answers,  Homeopathy itself is a complete fraud and stupidity.  The theory comes from pre-modern understanding of physics and chemistry, back when people thought that items next to each other could magically get 'essence" from another item.  A good explanation of the quackery is on the Wikipedia page- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy .   So since water does not have memory and since there is probably not a molecule of the original substance in your medication, any effect it would have would be purely a placebo effect.  Furthermore if more of the substance was there, it could make you sick.  The idea is that since you have anxiety we should find a drug or substance that causes anxiety - let;s say caffeine- and then dilute to the point where there is maybe one drop of caffeine in a 20,000 gallon pool and then take out a small bottle of the pool water and call it a cure for anxiety.  It won't work but if you think a placebo might help, just take something else and convince yourself it is an anti anxiety pill.  Maybe a calcium pill or VIt D or multi-vitamin.  They will probably be cheaper and actually may help your body.

If you are talking about supplements, please research before taking them.  One popular supplement for anxiety is kava which causes liver damage.  I think you need to take it for a while to do that so if you only take it for a few days, you may be fine but research, research, research. 

Now that I have gone back and read the responses, I am with SpyCar.  Supplements or herbal medicines can be helpful at times.  I was told by a neurologist to take large amounts of B2 vitamins to prevent and shorten migraines.  It worked and I am still doing that.  My dd was told by sleep doctor (MD) to take 1 mg of melatonin to help her get to sleep as part of a larger sleep health program.  I now take that too at times when I am having insomnia with my doctor's okay.  Other herbal medications or supplements are well known to be helpful in some cases.  But some are not only not helpful but dangerous so read up.

The theory comes from pre-modern understanding of physics and chemistry, back when people thought that items next to each other could magically get 'essence" from another item.

And don't forget, part of this process included shaking a vial up against a leather-bound holy bible. Apparently that "essence" of goodness was lost in later years.

If homeopathy worked, we would have a much different medical system.

For your amusement:

Ok. So I guess I am lost. Homeopathic remedies is basically what I have now, by Newton's Homeopathics. Correct? I thought that the ingredients in this bottle were Herbs? Just a few listed on the bottle is Aconitum Napellus, Ambra grisea, Passiflora incarnata..............etc.

Which is why I asked if this would interact with prescription medicine. She said no. So I guess there is no Herbs in this at all.

I know I have been told that I needed to be careful with herbal remedies because of possible drug interactions.

I did not realize Homeopathic medicine and Herbal Medicine were different.

Ok. So I guess I am lost. Homeopathic remedies is basically what I have now, by Newton's Homeopathics. Correct? I thought that the ingredients in this bottle were Herbs? Just a few listed on the bottle is Aconitum Napellus, Ambra grisea, Passiflora incarnata..............etc.

Which is why I asked if this would interact with prescription medicine. She said no. So I guess there is no Herbs in this at all.

I know I have been told that I needed to be careful with herbal remedies because of possible drug interactions.

I did not realize Homeopathic medicine and Herbal Medicine were different.

Most people don't understand what homeopathic medicine really is (or they wouldn't purchase it).

The one thing that's true about homeopathic remedies is there is no danger of drug interactions (as there are no active ingredients in the pills or syrups) assuming you don't have a problem with tiny amounts of sugars. So they can't do you any harm (other than financial, or delay is seeking effective treatment options).

They are simply expensive sugar pills. They might have helped by having a "placebo effect," but I may have helped shoot that to heck :D

Bill

Homeopathy is a complete and total fraud. The whole thing is preposterous.

Bill

BS Bill...listening to the allopaths, eh?

Big, Big NAY. Homeopathy is complete fraud and totally ineffective. It's water. Water. Nothing more.

And don't forget, part of this process included shaking a vial up against a leather-bound holy bible. Apparently that "essence" of goodness was lost in later years.

If homeopathy worked, we would have a much different medical system.

For your amusement:

I love that video and was going to post a link to it if no one else had.

It's great if you can decide for yourself.  I think that homeopathics have a more limited use when self-prescribing.  I have recently been to a naturopath/homeopath, and I'm amazed at how I feel with his remedies.

They need to know every little thing that you feel is slightly off in your body.  For instance, I mentioned that I had a feeling that I was wearing a headband all the time, like a slightly heavier feeling from ear to ear going across the front of the hairline.  That was a deciding factor with one of the remedies.  He showed me his consulting book because I was interested.  There were lists of the major symptom, all with differing 'side-symptoms', and that decides what remedy is needed.

Of course with anything natural or alternative, there are those that will be crying them down, so I really think its one of those things that you try for yourself and make your own mind up.  But I really do recommend seeing a homeopath.

Homeopathy is a crock.  When dd was too young for any real medication and had a terrible cold, I bought a little bottle of children's homeopathic cold remedy to give her.  Didn't do a darned thing.  I guess my first clue should have been that it was safe for one year olds to take.  Of course it was- it didn't contain anything besides water. 

Also, anything that is the least bit effective will have some kind of interaction with some other medication.  That's just the way it works.  The reason homeopathic remedies magically don't have any drug interactions is because water isn't contraindicated with any drugs on the planet.  What a shock.

Seriously, you're throwing your money away buying this stuff.  Unless you believe in magic, there's no way this stuff can work because there's nothing in it.

Of course with anything natural or alternative, there are those that will be crying them down, so I really think its one of those things that you try for yourself and make your own mind up.  But I really do recommend seeing a homeopath.

Many people who use a variety of alternative medicines still think homeopathy is a joke.  I take herbal supplements, I use pressure points to relieve anxiety, I think guided meditation is great, and I'd love to try acupuncture if I could find someone around here to do it.  I still think that buying homeopathic products is a complete waste of money.  Honestly, I don't know how anyone who reads anything about it can take it seriously.  Like Bill said, it's sugar water.

It's great if you can decide for yourself. I think that homeopathics have a more limited use when self-prescribing. I have recently been to a naturopath/homeopath, and I'm amazed at how I feel with his remedies.

They need to know every little thing that you feel is slightly off in your body. For instance, I mentioned that I had a feeling that I was wearing a headband all the time, like a slightly heavier feeling from ear to ear going across the front of the hairline. That was a deciding factor with one of the remedies. He showed me his consulting book because I was interested. There were lists of the major symptom, all with differing 'side-symptoms', and that decides what remedy is needed.

Of course with anything natural or alternative, there are those that will be crying them down, so I really think its one of those things that you try for yourself and make your own mind up. But I really do recommend seeing a homeopath.

But how does it work? What's the scientific theory behind it? What way is the body reacting that causes some effect?

In defense of homeopathy I've seen anecdotes better described as examples of placebo effects, erroneous conflations with other alternative treatments (as you did in your last paragraph), insults (Gem painted Bill as some passive dupe), etc.

A reasonable explanation of how homeopathy is actually supposed to work and some research supporting the claims that it works would be great.

Homeopathy is a crock.  When dd was too young for any real medication and had a terrible cold, I bought a little bottle of children's homeopathic cold remedy to give her.  Didn't do a darned thing.  I guess my first clue should have been that it was safe for one year olds to take.  Of course it was- it didn't contain anything besides water. 

Also, anything that is the least bit effective will have some kind of interaction with some other medication.  That's just the way it works.  The reason homeopathic remedies magically don't have any drug interactions is because water isn't contraindicated with any drugs on the planet.  What a shock.

Seriously, you're throwing your money away buying this stuff.  Unless you believe in magic, there's no way this stuff can work because there's nothing in it.

I had totally forgotten about the Amazing Randi! There are a number of folks who have attempted to "overdose" on homeopathic remedies, to make a point about them. 

This from NPR.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/02/08/133569580/homeopathic-medicine-overdosers-survive-unscathed

Some skeptics took 1,000,000 times the recommended dose of a sleep remedy and didn't die--or fall asleep.

I've seen Randi do it on a Ted talk too.

Anyone who can prove homeopathic remedies work in a scientific, double-blind study gets 1 million dollars! (I'd love for it to be true; I'd be after it :)

I don't poopoo natural/herbal remedies, but homeopathy is hooey.

It's great if you can decide for yourself.  I think that homeopathics have a more limited use when self-prescribing.  I have recently been to a naturopath/homeopath, and I'm amazed at how I feel with his remedies.

They need to know every little thing that you feel is slightly off in your body.  For instance, I mentioned that I had a feeling that I was wearing a headband all the time, like a slightly heavier feeling from ear to ear going across the front of the hairline.  That was a deciding factor with one of the remedies.  He showed me his consulting book because I was interested.  There were lists of the major symptom, all with differing 'side-symptoms', and that decides what remedy is needed.

But again, your feeling better isn't related to the homeopathic remedy.  More than likely it's the placebo effect which also includes the degree of care and interest that you felt from your practitioner.  I was listening to NPR a long time ago and they talked about just how effective the placebo effect can be - that just going to the doctor to be seen for something can have a profound impact on the patient's symptoms.  I think it might have been this 2007 program or possibly this one from 2012.  I'm thinking most likely it's the Science Friday segment from 2012.

Never underestimate the power of the human brain.

Also, children can experience placebo effect - that's probably in large part due to the caring ritual mentioned in the 2012 NPR segment.

Well, looks like the bottle of "remedy" is nothing but junk. ((sigh)). I really want to get off these medications. But I can't take herbs because of the interaction, and I cannot come off the meds to try them because I will have a relapse. What a vicious circle. 

I have tried acupuncture with no luck. Meditation only works while I am doing it. I need something that is going to calm my mind 24 hours a day. What did people do in the "old" days when these meds were not around?

What Bill said.

Disclaimer: I've worked in the natural health industry for 13+ years. I probably know more than the average Joe about herbs, supplements, and homeopathy. Homeopathy is, as explained, a crock, and not to be confused with other forms of naturopathic remedies.

I would definitely not try homeopathy in lieu of proper medical care for anxiety and/or depression. That is just dangerous. If you want to try some natural supplements, can you work with your doctor as you try some things and perhaps reduce or wean off your medication? I take high levels of DHA and have taken some other things that have helped me quite a bit, but I would never recommend someone quit their medication or just try supplements to replace it.

Best of luck, OP.

But how does it work? What's the scientific theory behind it? What way is the body reacting that causes some effect?

In defense of homeopathy I've seen anecdotes better described as examples of placebo effects, erroneous conflations with other alternative treatments (as you did in your last paragraph), insults (Gem painted Bill as some passive dupe), etc.

A reasonable explanation of how homeopathy is actually supposed to work and some research supporting the claims that it works would be great.

I don't claim to be very educated in the scienctific theories behind homeopathy.  I just answered the OP's question of 'does it work' with my own personal experience.

As far as my erronous conflation with other alternative treatments...surely you agree that homeopathy is usually listed under the natural and alternative treatments umbrella?

I may be wrong, but I didn't think the OP was asking for links to research supporting homeopathy, but for personal experiences, which I provided.  I guess if you are looking for more, it may be worth starting your own thread.

I should also point out to the OP that the homeopathic remedies I am using are not for anxiety/depression. 

Well, looks like the bottle of "remedy" is nothing but junk. ((sigh)). I really want to get off these medications. But I can't take herbs because of the interaction, and I cannot come off the meds to try them because I will have a relapse. What a vicious circle. 

I have tried acupuncture with no luck. Meditation only works while I am doing it. I need something that is going to calm my mind 24 hours a day. What did people do in the "old" days when these meds were not around?

have you tried a naturopath who specializes in depression?  there are supplements that work.  but they need to be tailored to your chemistry and needs. several of those I know who have gone this route had side-effects from the anti-depressants, and are having better effect, with no side-effects with a tailored supplement regimen.  One was one two-different antidepressants for five-years and still really struggling.  now - no rx, just supplements, feels worlds better and is more functional. - and it shows.

sugar can cause depression and anxiety - getting off of it can help.

I wouldn't expect acupuncture to work for depression.  (though it does have reports of helping with some types of pain.)

before meds - people suffered.  or they used some of the non-standard forms (which varied widely in quality and effectiveness - and still can) of some of what is today used as supplements by naturopaths.

a regular yoga practice can also be helpful.  depending upon the exact causes - it can help a lot or only a little.  even a daily walk helps.

I had totally forgotten about the Amazing Randi! There are a number of folks who have attempted to "overdose" on homeopathic remedies, to make a point about them. 

This from NPR.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/02/08/133569580/homeopathic-medicine-overdosers-survive-unscathed

Some skeptics took 1,000,000 times the recommended dose of a sleep remedy and didn't die--or fall asleep.

I've seen Randi do it on a Ted talk too.

Anyone who can prove homeopathic remedies work in a scientific, double-blind study gets 1 million dollars! (I'd love for it to be true; I'd be after it :)

I don't poopoo natural/herbal remedies, but homeopathy is hooey.

Hey I did this! I was a part of the 10:23 challenge in Berkeley in 2012. The homeopathic dose we took was a sedative, a small portion of my own dose should have knocked out a horse (spoilers: I didn't even get sleepy). 

Is it serotonin syndrome you're worried about?

I need something that is going to calm my mind 24 hours a day.

Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy? Retraining yourself to think differently?

How about medical marijuana? It doesn't get you stoned, fwiw. It might be worth looking into if that's a possibility in your state (or online?).

Can you spend time outdoors? Does that help?

What did people do in the "old" days when these meds were not around?

I suspect they sucked it up and did what they could. People who could maintain a job and family did so, and those who couldn't function that much probably didn't last long without help. In our day and age we're fortunate to have access to more sophisticated forms of distraction (books, movies, travel, etc).

I hope you find some relief.  

Considering the amount of pharmaceuticals in the water supply, if homeopathy were legit, nobody would ever get pregant, be depressed, or need Viagra.

Or need to poop (considering what other things we consume in extremely diluted form).

I do not consume sugar. Cut that out back in January. If I do have sugar it is very, very little.

Seratonin syndrome is not a worry for me, as I am not back on my antidepressent. I am however, on 3mg of Ativan a day. I am supposed to restart Prozac. But that stuff can be nasty getting off, and can cause permanent long term damage. But I cannot last to long without a SSRI/SSNRI.

I am in cognitive behavioral therapy now. But I am not at that point to do it on my own without medication.

If I could afford a Naturopath, I would see one. But I can't afford it.

Thank goodness I checked with all of you on here before wasting my money.

You asked a few posts ago about what happened to people before we had medications.  Mostly, nothing good.  There's a reason why Prozac was thought of as a wonder drug.  Mostly I think it was things like ECT at least, that's what they used on Ernest Hemingway who struggled with depression (as did some of his family members).

I do not consume sugar. Cut that out back in January. If I do have sugar it is very, very little.

Seratonin syndrome is not a worry for me, as I am not back on my antidepressent. I am however, on 3mg of Ativan a day. I am supposed to restart Prozac. But that stuff can be nasty getting off, and can cause permanent long term damage. But I cannot last to long without a SSRI/SSNRI.

I am in cognitive behavioral therapy now. But I am not at that point to do it on my own without medication.

I'm the odd man out around here I think, but tbh, changing one's diet isn't the magic cure it's often made out to be and the mechanism that's likely at work is that magic called placebo effect.  Not a bad thing necessarily, but some diets can be rather expensive.

As for Naturopaths - that's a mixed bag.  Most schools they go to are not accredited and they're only licensed to practice in 14 states. None of which necessarily excludes Naturopathy per se, but for every one or two good Naturopaths you're likely to end up with 10 quacks.  They also tend to prescribe supplements which are often pricey and only available through their office.

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting help from a good old medical provider and taking the medications that allow you to live your life.  That includes seeing a psychiatrist and CBT.  Be gentle with yourself.  When folks are sick with physical ailments, most people don't look down on them for seeking the treatment they need.  Likewise, the same is true for depression.  Don't self-medicate via message board for this.

Like albeto, I hope you find some relief.

Not everyone can be functional without medication, much less happy. If your meds don't work for you, another, similar medication might. They work similarly but address different molecular functions, so what doesn't work for one person works for another. Perhaps your doctor can take the time to look into various options with you.

I'm sorry you are suffering.

Bill