Menu

anacronym

Night Elf

Maybe its one of these:

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (For the Greater Glory of God)

Adaptive Differentiated-Service Multicast Gateway

Aerodynamic Magnetic Gap (automobile speakers)

Air Defense Machine Gun

Alaska Division of Mines and Geology (Alaska Department of Natural Resources)

Allied Design Management Group, Inc. (Huntington Beach, CA)

Asia Development Management Group, LLC

Association of Deer Management Groups (est. 1992; Scotland, UK)

My guess is the first one, but I'm not sure of the context.

HTH (Hope this helps!)  :)

Sue

There aren't any female Jesuits, as Jesuits, unlike most other religious orders, are all ordained as priests. I'm not aware of any third orders affiliated with them, though I could be wrong, and there's the youth service group Jesuit Volunteer Corps. Or maybe she was taught by Jesuits.

The AMDG acronym has caught on in recent years among some Catholics as a way of dedicating one's written work to God. It's a combination of the practice of students in Jesuit schools of writing AMDG at the beginning of their papers, and of the devotion in which one dedicates one's daily work, no matter how prosaic, to God. Personally, I think it's not a bad idea to give oneself some reminder before posting on the internet that one's words must be written in charity and truth.

There aren't any female Jesuits, as Jesuits, unlike most other religious orders, are all ordained as priests. I'm not aware of any third orders affiliated with them, though I could be wrong, and there's the youth service group Jesuit Volunteer Corps. Or maybe she was taught by Jesuits.

The AMDG acronym has caught on in recent years among some Catholics as a way of dedicating one's written work to God. It's a combination of the practice of students in Jesuit schools of writing AMDG at the beginning of their papers, and of the devotion in which one dedicates one's daily work, no matter how prosaic, to God. Personally, I think it's not a bad idea to give oneself some reminder before posting on the internet that one's words must be written in charity and truth.

I didn't know that all Jesuits are priests.  I learn something new every day! 

Which is sort of a bummer, because I *so* relate to the Jesuits, lol.

The poster who uses this at the start of every post uses it with this meaning.  I'm assuming that she is Jesuit.  

how do you know it's that particular meaning?  I asked her what it meant once and she never answered me.  I had to go look it up. Someone could still adopt the phrase even if they're not Jesuit (or Catholic) - right?

I'm confused. I understand it's the written word and all, but paper towels? Glorifying God in a post about paper towels? I genuinely don't get it.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/484883-good-paper-towels/?hl=%2Bamdg&do=findComment&comment=5143009

For the greater glory of God and...sushi!?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/485374-who-makes-sushi/?hl=%2Bamdg&do=findComment&comment=5150760

I'm clearly missing something.

I'm confused. I understand it's the written word and all, but paper towels? Glorifying God in a post about paper towels? I genuinely don't get it.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/484883-good-paper-towels/?hl=%2Bamdg&do=findComment&comment=5143009

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/485374-who-makes-sushi/?hl=%2Bamdg&do=findComment&comment=5150760

It just means that all we do is dedicated to God.

Yes, exactly it. Glorifying God in all things.

Somtimes it turns out to be just the things we thought were too trivial even to think about that suddenly turn into the challenges to our love of God and our neighbor. Like cupcakes. ;)

Hahaha. Oh, you ladiess are awesome!

It is Jesus, Mary, Joseph. And the cross is to remember Jesus' death and resurrection.

You know if I had my kids put +JMJ+ on their pages they would think I was letting them swear in school.  Sometimes I say Jesus, Mary and Joseph in place of swear words lol

I am not certain if we have more than one poster who writes it here or not, but I did ask one day in a PM, and she sweetly responded with this message. 

AMDG is an acronym for Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam which means "for the greater glory of God."  Besides being (a slight abbreviation of) the motto of the Jesuits, many Catholics will type or write it first in a letter or document.  People do it for all kinds of reasons including reminding themselves to only say those things which are for the greater glory -- and not mean, snarky, sarcastic, et c.

Of course, I'm not saying that *I* need reminding . . .!   ;)

AMDG doesn't mean the following pages are error-free.

I don't see how you're relating the 2 things?

Yes, I realize that.  It is ironic that their work, which is rather ostentatiously labeled as "for the greater glory of God," is riddled with errors.  Not typos; substantive errors.   

What is the irony?

That humans are fallible even when dedicating their work to God?

That an educational publisher's work for the glory of God is inaccurate.  You don't find that ironic?  "Being the reverse of what is expected"?  Inaccuracy in a homeschool science TM, published for the glory of God, I would expect to be supremely accurate.  When it is not, yes, that is ironic.

ETA:  And I actually like the program, so this is not an attack on Kolbe.  But if you are going to put "AMDG" across the top of every single page, you are representing that you are holding yourself to a higher standard.  I do not, three weeks into the program, feel that they have met even a non-higher standard.  So yes, seeing "AMDG" there is irritating and, I think, lessens the impact of the proclamation.

That an educational publisher's work for the glory of God is inaccurate. You don't find that ironic? "Being the reverse of what is expected"? Inaccuracy in a homeschool science TM, published for the glory of God, I would expect to be supremely accurate. When it is not, yes, that is ironic.

ETA: And I actually like the program, so this is not an attack on Kolbe. But if you are going to put "AMDG" across the top of every single page, you are representing that you are holding yourself to a higher standard. I do not, three weeks into the program, feel that they have met even a non-higher standard. So yes, seeing "AMDG" there is irritating and, I think, lessens the impact of the proclamation.

I don't find it ironic bc I don't see using AMDG means that the result will be perfect. To me, it is about the intent of the worker, not the result.

If I ran a race AMDG and lost, it is still AMDG.

They are the Society of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. They aren't Jesuit but very similar in focus.

I know they aren't Jesuit, as Jesuits are all men, but I thought they were associated with them, meaning they are similar in focus and when the RSCJ need a priest for mass or whatever, they call on the Jesuits and when the Jesuits need a nun to do..whatever, they call on the RSCJ.  

I'm fairly certain that St. Madeline Sophie Barat, founder (for lack of a better word) of the RSCJ, was at one point associated with a priest who wanted to help form a female order to educate females (this became the RSCJ), and his order eventually merged with the Jesuits.  We learned all of this in school, but I'm a bit sketchy on names, except for Barat and St. Philippine Duchesne, who founded the Sacred Heart schools in the US.  Am I making any sense here?  I'm tired.