Menu

My neighbor kids told me why homeschooling is a bad idea

planner

My daughter attends a charter school and my son is homeschooled.  I took my daughter and my neighbor kids to school this morning and the subject turned to why ds doesn't go to the charter school.  He's in the sixth grade and the school doesn't  have a sixth grade was the reason my daughter told them.  All of a sudden, the neighbors totally understood why he was homeschooled, lol.

3rd grade neighbor girl tells me that she would love to be homeschooled so she could watch tv all day.  I told her that we watched zero tv during the day and it shocked her.  She then said that homeschooling was bad and that kids couldn't get the education they could get at school.  I quickly corrected her and told her the educational achievement would depend on the standards of the teacher, not on the location of the school.  She seemed to understand that.

Her twin brother came up with another reason why homeschool is a poor idea.  He said that you would have to make a lot of copies which would use a lot of printer ink.  He thought it would be too expensive.  His sister told him I just had workbooks and didn't make copies.  (She has no idea what I do.)  Neighbor boy said it costs a lot of money to buy workbooks and that it was a bad idea to spend that much money when you could go to public school.  My daughter told them that her dad makes enough money and that it's okay for us to spend money on ink and books.  I told them I was happy to spend money on education. 

I just couldn't help laughing thinking about printer ink being a reason not to homeschool.

Oh my - this reminds me that I need to buy a new black cartridge! I'll add that to my weekend To-Do list right now   :laugh:

I need to buy color ink cartridges too!   We just finished our 3rd week of school and I have been using my printer like crazy.

OP - If you ever want to know what your adult neighbors think and/or feel about something, just listen to their children - as you so rudely found out this morning.  They think you spend too much money on printer ink and you sit around watching TV all day.  NICE!

He said that you would have to make a lot of copies which would use a lot of printer ink. He thought it would be too expensive.

My kids assigned school did ask regularly for donations of reams of paper (white and colored) and for parents to help keep printing costs down by doing some of the printing at home for the teachers. So maybe that's where he get the idea.

My laser printer's black ink cartridge cost close to a hundred bucks when we were at Office Depot the other day.

OP - If you ever want to know what your adult neighbors think and/or feel about something, just listen to their children - as you so rudely found out this morning.  They think you spend too much money on printer ink and you sit around watching TV all day.  NICE!

Today was their polite day!  I drove them every day this week and two of the mornings the girl couldn't stop talking about how old my car is.  She even said, "Gosh, this car must be at least five years old or something."  When I told her it was thirteen years old she freaked out and went on and on about her family's luxury autos.  I live in an affluent area and I already know that my car is by far the worst in the parent drop off lane.  I really don't need a third grader to tell me.  Next time, I fear I may tell her that she is being rude.

I thought the printer ink comment was really funny.  The boy is super sweet and doesn't make obnoxious comments.  I'm sure his mom has told him not to waste ink a few times.

Very funny! My son’s best friend goes to a private school. When they were in 1st grade and I was giving them a ride somewhere he tried to convince C. that he should switch and stop homeschooling because of all their awesome field trips. He kept naming places they had gone and C. would say “we go there all the time†or “oh, yeah, we went thereâ€. I was laughing in the front seat and thinking “going on cool field trips†is probably not the argument to use for going to school away from home over homeschooling.  He might have won if he’d tried “you’ll get to see your friends†or “we can hang out at recessâ€. But we’ve got the field trips covered. 

You know, before I had kids, I used to think like this--and probably even made comments along this line. Then my first son taught me that even very young children sometimes have a large capacity for having their own thoughts and expressing them, that might have nothing at all to do with what we parents thought or expressed in our home. Now I try to give the parents the benefit of the doubt, and "assume" that the child has his/her own independent opinions. :p

ETA: to highlight quote since I must have deleted the quote bars.

Yes, when mine played with neighbors we heard all about what the parents thought of us.  Things like, "My mom says that you must be a religious weirdo or you wouldn't be homeschooling, but I think you're really nice."  Lovely.  

From bits-and-pieces that I pick up, they still think that even though mine haven't played with neighbor kids in years.  In middle school they went their way, and we went our way.