Menu

Shouldn't I need school supplies?

I'm headed to Staples today and the only thing on my list is plastic page protectors. And that's not even for school; it's for our household recipe file.

We have plenty of high-quality 3-ring binders. These have lasted for years and years.

We have oodles of pencils and pens.

Ds uses spiral notebooks for a couple of subjects but he still has plenty of space in last year's (we just get new ones when they get filled up).

I do need notebook paper, but I don't like the Staples paper, so I'll get that elsewhere. Anyway, he types most of his work.

My ds does not do any crafts. (He does do art at a local studio, but they provide all the supplies.)

He has a good set of geometry tools already.

We have plenty of post-its.

He has a planner/calendar that goes through December.

What am I missing? It's the start of the school year. I should be buying school supplies. But it seems silly to buy new things when what we already have is perfectly adequate. Even the erasers I bought last year have plenty of use left (we get the nice Magic Rub kind.)

Ah! I just thought of something. Ds keeps current papers in a 2-pocket folder, and his folder is falling apart. So he can pick out a new one. Is that really all we need?

I'm always disappointed at the beginning of each year because I never have to buy anything lol. I buy what we need as we need it so that keeps a handle on it. I'm always needing pencils and crayons so I buy new ones when they are on sale as well as paper but other then that...we are usually good at the start of each year. We just keep using things from the year before till they wear out.

I don't need any school or art supplies either. I tend to buy as needed and never need to go "school supply shopping".

I am also picky about paper. I buy college ruled paper from amazon that is the same size as paper from our printer. Same for graph paper. Younger two use Mead paper from a local office supply store--and not much of it. I'll probably switch them to composition books this year. They are harder to lose and provide kind of a writing surface if you need to take the work somewhere.

I sometimes grab a few items that are on sale just because they are on sale, but I generally don't need anything.

Yes, that sounds smart. I should get things that are on sale now even though we aren't out yet. Thing is, with just one kid who isn't crafty at all we really don't use up a whole lot of supplies. I overbought things like glue for years. We have enough glue to last for decades. :lol:

I don't need any school or art supplies either. I tend to buy as needed and never need to go "school supply shopping".

I am also picky about paper. I buy college ruled paper from amazon that is the same size as paper from our printer. Same for graph paper. Younger two use Mead paper from a local office supply store--and not much of it. I'll probably switch them to composition books this year. They are harder to lose and provide kind of a writing surface if you need to take the work somewhere.

What's the brand you get from Amazon? I would love to find some good notebook paper.

There is something very wrong with you... :lol:

Or perhaps it is me, I have a school supply fetish it seems lol

aside from looseleaf paper, and coil notebooks I also restocked up on markers, highlighters, white board markers, sharpies, white out, reinforcements, page protectors, and index cards thus far

I still need to get, scotch tape, file folders (we lapbook), more glue sticks, and some printer ink and paper to keep on hand (I always ran out at the worst times last year)

We go through pencils like crazy for some reason.  We're always losing them.  So I usually buy lots of cute ones to start the year.  We need a new binder per kid every year because I keep the old ones with their one year of example work as a saving item.  Occasionally I need other things - pencil sharpeners break.  Sometimes I need to replenish the glue, tape, post-its (we use them for writing), markers, Expo markers, etc.  Not this year though.  Usually we need new comp books, but we didn't this year because there's a ton of room left in the old ones.  So the only necessary things I bought were binders and pencils.

But even though we really don't need it, I usually buy one or two totally frivolous school supply items for a dollar or two to put out at the same time as the new books and things on the "first day".  This year, I bought erasers that look like a stack of hats and post it notes that look like mustaches.

There is something very wrong with you... :lol:

Or perhaps it is me, I have a school supply fetish it seems lol

aside from looseleaf paper, and coil notebooks I also restocked up on markers, highlighters, white board markers, sharpies, white out, reinforcements, page protectors, and index cards thus far

I still need to get, scotch tape, file folders (we lapbook), more glue sticks, and some printer ink and paper to keep on hand (I always ran out at the worst times last year)

Well, I love the office supply store, but I just can't justify buying things for no reason even if I enjoy looking at them. I bought a bunch of sharpies a few years ago in a rainbow of colors and they're still going strong. We don't use highlighters. I have bought them in the past and they never get used. I bought a box of file folders years ago with the idea of doing lapbooks, but then oh yeah, ds doesn't do crafts. And so on. I guess I will have to assuage my school supply desires with mere window shopping.

Perhaps a pencil sharpener? Ours tends to burn out, so getting one or two while they are cheap might carry you through the year.

Our pencil sharpener is over 50 years old and going strong. LOL We got it from dh's grandfather. Maybe this is my "problem" -- my supplies don't wear out fast enough.

Staples school supply sales used to be much better and since I am a former teacher, I got the 25 items per person instead of only 2-3.

I stocked up years ago on pencils and pens and basic supplies.  I don't think I will need any of those items again until the youngest goes to college!!!!!!!!!

The only things I bought this year were post-it flags (I should still have some, but I can't FIND them!), a box of mechanical pencils, cheap notebooks for church, and a bit of lined paper. I should really pick up a pack of color pencils too, as we currently only have some that come in an art kit, and I like Crayola better.

I could also use more white board markers, but they were cheaper on Amazon. In fact, the only things I bought locally on sale were the notebooks and lined paper.

I had the same issue! I love picking up new supplies/clothes for my dc each fall so they get that experience every year that I loved as a kid. But you know...my boys don't care much. They didn't even want to go with me to Michaels to get stuff so I went alone. Because we didn't need much I ended up buying nice art supplies for nature journaling.

I think it has a lot to do with restocking throughout the year. We have lined paper, card stock, pencils, pens, crayons, paints, notebooks, toner, printer paper, etc because I order all that stuff as soon as it's running low.

All I needed this year was scotch tape (and that's more for general use than home school), printer paper, and notebooks. I no longer get the very cheapest notebooks because they fall apart and the wire coil gets out of shape. I get the Mead five-star single subject notebooks when they're on sale. Black Mirado Warrior pencils are never part of back to school sales, so I get those at Office Max when they have a "20% off whatever you put in this bag" sale.

That's about the same price as the Mead 5-Star notebook paper at Target, except that the 5-Star has reinforced holes, which I love.  I have also purchased the Up & Up brand from Target, with the reinforced holes, and it's good, but not as good as the 5-Star. 

There have been coupons in the paper lately and Target has a coupon out now that you can print off.

I'm waiting for the post back to school sale. That is when I can pick up some binders that is the zip kind for half off. I have plenty of school supplies to last at least the next few years.

I'll be checking out Michaels for paint brushes since there is a 45% off coupon this week and my kids like painting. 

I have an only child too. I don't normally need to buy too many things. Scotch tape is one of those that finishes quickly. Duct tape. Tab dividers if I can find them on sale. A binder or two but usually we re-use what we have. We are also transitioning from pencils to pens this year for everything except tracing maps and any drawing required in math.

We have tons of glue as well (similarly non-arts-and-crafts kid). :)

ETA: oh yeah, we do need to get printer paper and ink. But I don't think of that as back-to-school expenses because we school year round.

I didn't need to buy much at all this year. All I've purchased so far:

post it notes

index cards

Sharpies in a rainbow of colors

good quality printer paper (we don't like the thin, cheap stuff)

pencil top erasers that actually work (here: http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Mate-Arrowhead-Erasers-73015/dp/B00006IFAV/ref=pd_sim_op_5)

a new pencil sharpener since our electric one died

We still have plenty of notebooks, folders, binders, crayons, markers, glue, scissors, etc. from last year.

ETA: Well, I did buy a few frivolous things too, LOL, but I totally justified their purchase since there was very little else that we actually needed. ;-)

I didn't buy much this year either. A couple of rolls of Scotch tape. A couple of packages of pencils and a couple of packages of crayons. A binder and tabs for DD for her WWS and a couple of binders to use for their portfolios, because I like a particular type. A package of rulers. A new pair of scissors for DD, because the small ones are too small for her now. Oh, and a new pencil box for DD, since her old one was cracked. I wanted to buy more, but one, the sales were not nearly as good this year, and two, I couldn't think of anything else we needed, since I'm still using up the notebooks, folders, and paper that I bought last year and the year before when the sales were really good, and I bought printer paper and ballpoint pens earlier in the spring when I needed them and they were on sale.

We've been stocked for years.  I love shopping for school supplies and I'm always a bit bummed at this time of the year since we don't need anything.

But this year?  I helped my oldest shop for her soon to be kindergartner.  It was fun! :)

I knew you all would understand. We actually ended up with more than I expected -- some restocking of normal office supplies, some restocking at sale prices, and the couple of new things just for school. Ds picked out a new folder and some dry erase markers. I suggested a couple of "fun" supplies, but he just said, "No, the things we have already are fine." :rolleyes: I enjoyed the shopping, though, and he enjoyed the lunch afterward. So I guess it was a success.

You and me both, quark. We're still in negotiations. I keep telling ds we *have* to sit down and make some decisions (we start MONDAY!) but summer keeps beckoning. Last night we did decide on a start date, so that's progress, but again the start date is MONDAY. :lol:

That's about the same price as the Mead 5-Star notebook paper at Target, except that the 5-Star has reinforced holes, which I love.  I have also purchased the Up & Up brand from Target, with the reinforced holes, and it's good, but not as good as the 5-Star. 

There have been coupons in the paper lately and Target has a coupon out now that you can print off.

Good to know. I'll probably go ahead and order another pack soon. I really love that's it's a bit bigger.

Err...I made some totally irrelevant purchases just now... :tongue_smilie:. Walked into the grocery store for bread and cooking oil, and stumbled onto their back to school section. Got us a magnetic pencil holder and a magnetic mini dry erase board to attach to my rolling cart (where we keep our main books). Was thinking of this thread while paying at the cashier. :tongue_smilie: I love dry erase boards. :D

Dd loves to journal, write songs/short stories/doodle, so this time of year is a bonanza for various styles and formats.  I tend to pick up a several for the stocking, birthday and easter basket and put them in the closet.  There is just way more variety during the back to school season.

I'm looking forward when I don't have crafters as I always have to replenish our markers, crayons, colored pencils, tape, glue, stick-glue, cardstock, eraser tops, and construction paper.

I consolidated all the paper, notebooks, folders, and notepads in one place. I think I'll have enough of THOSE for several years. I'm finally seeing the bottom of the pencil box - so perhaps next year I'll have to buy more pencils.

I didn't need to buy much at all this year. All I've purchased so far:

post it notes

index cards

Sharpies in a rainbow of colors

good quality printer paper (we don't like the thin, cheap stuff)

pencil top erasers that actually work (here: http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Mate-Arrowhead-Erasers-73015/dp/B00006IFAV/ref=pd_sim_op_5)

a new pencil sharpener since our electric one died

:iagree:   Yes, these are totally awesome!  I don't mind spending a bit more money on things that are quality and these are.  Two years ago I actually bought two boxes.  I got

them literally in two days and now I'm set.  I have a small basket in the school room where we keep these.  I've told my sons that when a pencil gets too short, to take off the eraser

before throwing the pencil away, and put the eraser in the basket to be reused.  :D

I don't think I'll ever need to buy erasers again.