Menu

I need your ideas, please!

k2bdeutmeyer

**waves**  Hi....I'm still alive.  Busy as ever and don't make it here very often anymore, but I'm alive.

Anyway.....

At the risk of sounding like a completely ungrateful snot....and yet again being the "needy one", I need help.

We had intended to use our tax returns for curriculum. When they came through, I was still undecided on what I was going to get/do, so didn't purchase right away (mistake #1). Car repairs, past due bills, groceries, and dr/hospital bills came up and before we knew it, the money was spent. Not on frivolous things, but not on curriculum either.

So, I humbly wrote a request to Book Samaritan. I stated specifics that we would love to have (things like specific math curriculum that we're already working in), but also stated that we would appreciate anything they could offer us (and we do/would). I listed general subjects for DD13 (I have nothing for her yet) and math for DD6 (we have her FIAR book) - as well as general supplies (pens, pencils, crayons, glue, etc).

I got my package from them a few days ago. It contained ONE book. An Abeka lit book. I've sat here staring at it for days thinking "what am I going to do?". I have nothing but an Abeka lit book for my 8th grader. I really AM grateful, but how am I supposed to school an 8th grader with one book?

Anyway, so.....I come to you to beg for ideas/help. I'm not really sure where to go from here. Are there other places like Book Samaritan? I'm really not good at piecing stuff together myself. My brain sees it as chaos and avoids. We end up not schooling when I try to do that. Especially at an 8th grade level. A friend mentioned Time4Learning. Anybody know anything about that? Not that I have a computer for her to use anyway. The tower we had for the kids is just too slow to process anything. It's virtually unusable. We were supposed to get a new (to us) one of those with tax returns too.  I can't share mine with her, because I need it to work.

How long do the back to school supply sales last? I won't get my next small paycheck until September, so I can't stock up on paper, pens, pencils, glue, crayons, markers, etc until then. I will have missed them, won't I?

Okay....stepping away now, because I am very tired of always being the needy/poor board member. 

Can you check your local library for used textbooks or even Goodwill?

This is obviously easier to do with the youngers than with the olders.  If you have a good library you might be able to put together something for your 8th grader.

First, get out TWTM.   Then check your library.  Our library has the Life of Fred math books.  You could also use Khan academy for an 8th grader.  History/Lit. can all be done at the library using TWTM book as a guide.  That is what I've used.  Science also.  My library has the Van Cleave experiment books and other books that can be used in addition to content books.  

Can you check your local library for used textbooks or even Goodwill?

This is obviously easier to do with the youngers than with the olders.  If you have a good library you might be able to put together something for your 8th grader.

I have and will continue to do so.  I have a hard time finding the time to just go browse the library for things, but in the few searches for specific texts I've done, I haven't had any luck :(

First, get out TWTM.   Then check your library.  Our library has the Life of Fred math books.  You could also use Khan academy for an 8th grader.  History/Lit. can all be done at the library using TWTM book as a guide.  That is what I've used.  Science also.  My library has the Van Cleave experiment books and other books that can be used in addition to content books.  

What about amble side online or something like that? It's free and most books you can get at the library

Okay....I swear I must be the most dense person on the planet, but I just do not "get" how to piece things together.  Without something telling me have child do ABC, and then do xyz with them on this day, my brain sees chaos and goes into overwhelmed mode, which means avoidance.  Then, we don't do school, because I can't figure out what in the world I'm supposed to be doing.  I know this is a *me* problem, but it is something I have to work with/around.

I sent you a pm. :)

Heading to read now :)

Kristin, would you list what you're looking for here? I'm cleaning out, and I have a good amount of stuff for younger kids and some for older. I was going to send it to Book Samaritan, but I'd much rather help out "friends" first! If you post what you're needing, maybe we can help you pull stuff together? (Or PM me and I'll see if I can help fill in the blanks for you.)

Okay. First, breathe.

You can do this. It may be a much more mom-intensive year when it comes to planning than if you had an open and go program, but difficult and impossible are not synonymous.

While new shiny supplies are fun, they are not always essential to learning. The main sales will be over in September but you may find almost as good deals on markdowns at places like Walmart and Target. (The selection will be more limited, but you would be surprised how much is leftover.) Art supplies and the like that you can make do with what you already have can be used purchased as Christmas presents in a few months.

Do you have access to TWTM? The way a curriculum is laid out could be very helpful in your planning.

What do you already have at home for Math?

What Math materials are available through your library system?

Does your state's homeschooling laws allow you to check out or rent books from the school district?

Kristin, would you list what you're looking for here? I'm cleaning out, and I have a good amount of stuff for younger kids and some for older. I was going to send it to Book Samaritan, but I'd much rather help out "friends" first! If you post what you're needing, maybe we can help you pull stuff together? (Or PM me and I'll see if I can help fill in the blanks for you.)

Sure.....though truly I don't know exactly what I'm looking for/wanting, which is why I didn't order right away when I should have. 

My 8th grader needs:

Math (pre-algebra)

Lit (I have no idea and have been so overwhelmed with this subject that I've avoided it since I pulled her out of PS in 4th grade - it's time)

LA/Writing (she will finish Easy Grammar Plus mid-year & is a strong writer, but hasn't done anything formal with writing since I pulled her out of PS)

Science (she'd like to do biology and did Earth Science this past year)

History (she started American History (up to 1865) this last year - we didn't finish....I'll probably have her finish that and then I don't know)

She'd like to do a Home-Ec type class.  I haven't looked too far into it.

Everything I'm finding for free seems to almost require online access and while we have internet and all, she doesn't have access to a computer unless I can come up with the cash to replace the tower in the school room (again, I need mine to work while she's doing her stuff).

I feel like such a pain saying that I can't piece things together, but I really just don't "get" it.  And, I'm kinda freaking out a bit that I'm supposed to be preparing her for HIGH SCHOOL *faint* and I haven't a clue what I'm doing.  I'm feeling the pressure of time.  I have 5yr to prepare her for college and I feel like I'm so far behind.  I can't sit here and say "that's good enough" anymore. 

As far as my 1st grader.....we're just going to FIAR and I *think* we can get most of the books from the library (I looked a few months ago).  We have ETC and we'll keep trudging along with that.  The only thing left is math.  We were using Horizons and CLE (we doubled up - she loves math), not because I love them, but just because it's what I knew.  We skipped a lot in Horizons, because it was so repetitive and stuff she already knew.  She finished the K books in 3-4 months.  A friend sent me MM 1st and 2nd.  I still need to look at it.....hoping that works for us.

......going to catch up on PMs :)

Veritaserum has a Logic Stage Lit course outlined for Ancients, Middle Ages and Early Modern if you can get the books from the library (and I'm betting several of the titles could be found free through Amazon, the Gutenberg Project, etc.)

http://www.classicalhouseoflearning.com/logic-stage-literature.html

Biology should be totally do-able at her age. You can easily find anatomical atlases, books on cell structure/function, etc in the library. See what SWB recommends for covered topics and go down the list.

Do you have any options to enroll her in public/charter and put her on home study? There are tons of choices here in CA but I'm not sure about IA.

Quit telling yourself you can't do this. Yes, you CAN! And you will come out the other side a better homeschooler for it (((hugs)))

Veritaserum has a Logic Stage Lit course outlined for Ancients, Middle Ages and Early Modern if you can get the books from the library (and I'm betting several of the titles could be found free through Amazon, the Gutenberg Project, etc.)

http://www.classicalhouseoflearning.com/logic-stage-literature.html

Biology should be totally do-able at her age. You can easily find anatomical atlases, books oncell structure/function, etc in the library. See what SWB recommends for covered topics and go down the list.

Do you have any options to enroll her in public/charter and put her on home study? There are tons of choices here in CA but I'm not sure about IA.

Quit telling yourself you can't do this. Yes, you CAN! And you will come out the other side a better homeschooler for it (((hugs)))

Okay...bio - what do you do about labs??  She LOVES labs....I don't have the equipment or the budget for the equipment and supplies??

And we're back to me putting something together.  I swear I've tried.  I think it's my ADD....or anxiety....or both.  I sit down to put something together and don't know what to do.

We have K12, but have the computer issue (they won't tell me if they provide one until you enroll), and Connections Academy which does NOT provide a computer.

Check out Project Gutenberg for lit.

Kahn academy for science and math

Home ec: http://www.ed.gov.nl.ca/edu/k12/curriculum/guides/homeec/

Old fashioned education or amble side online to fill in the missing stuff

You can do this totally for free if you utilize your library along with the above. It will take some time on your part to pull it all together.

Don't forget kindle or a kindle app for free classics. Even free science and history books.

Okay...bio - what do you do about labs?? She LOVES labs....I don't have the equipment or the budget for the equipment and supplies??

Honestly, she may just have to have a reading year. I know it's not ideal, but she will be okay.

Do you not have any public or charter options that will provide materials (books, workbooks, etc) rather than computer-based options for you?

Disclaimer I have not used this but I have lots of friends who have jumped on the bandwagon due to it is FREE!  Easy Peasy

http://allinonehomeschool.com/grades/eighth/

Check out easy peasy homeschool allinonehomeschool.com  It is free, everything you need is provided online and it is rigorous for 8th grade.  In fact it covers all your schooling needs for all ages.

But would she need computer access on a regular basis??

Honestly, she may just have to have a reading year. I know it's not ideal, but she will be okay.

Do you not have any public or charter options that will provide materials (books, workbooks, etc) rather than computer-based options for you?

All we have is k12 and Connections Academy.  K12 won't tell you if they provide you with a computer until you enroll and Connections does not provide computers but expects you to have one.

I would say enroll I'm the virtual school anyway, and then do the computer work once a week at the library, if you don't get a computer. You can always withdrawal if things change.

Good luck!!

Obviously, I'd rather try to do this myself, but if it came down to enrolling her in the virtual academy, yes, we could go to the library.

I am not sure.  Do you have access daily?  Even if it means going to the library/hs friend?

I have internet access at home and a computer....just not a computer that she could have for more than a few min a day, ya know?  I don't think going to the library daily would be feasible for me with all the other things we have going on.

Bio--You cannot go wrong w/Bozeman science.  We used this in addition to a textbook but he covers a lot of info and has chapter onlines that go w/the videos.  It is all on youtube so I don't know if you can access that with your computer(Public library near by?)  http://www.bozemanscience.com/science-videos/

Also google virtual Biology labs--there are tons!

Literature--pick some books.  If nothing else she can write book reports, analysis, research the author

Home Ec--teach her budgeting, cooking, house repair, menu planning

Obviously, I'd rather try to do this myself, but if it came down to enrolling her in the virtual academy, yes, we could go to the library.

I have internet access at home and a computer....just not a computer that she could have for more than a few min a day, ya know?  I don't think going to the library daily would be feasible for me with all the other things we have going on.

Could you make a schedule where she could work on the computer for an hour or 2 each day and you work around that or in the evenings?

Could you spin biology into more of a nature study thing this year? That would be pretty inexpensive and easy. Labs can wait until high school. Just give her a notebook, go out and enjoy and observe things outdoors and teach her about recording her observations, making simple drawings, etc. Or use the Outdoor Hour challenges. (Free.)

http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/

I pm'd you again.

If it helps to know, ambleside online does have a weekly breakdown schedule that you can print off.

This is year 1

http://www.amblesideonline.org/01sch.shtml

And this is year 7

http://www.amblesideonline.org/07sch.shtml

Would that be enough of a plan to help you or do you need a daily planned out for every subject kind of thing? Not being critical btw. It sounds like you are very over whelmed and in the can't-manage-even-one-more--thing mode. (((hugs))) btdt.

I'm just trying to figure out what would work for you. :)

If it helps to know, ambleside online does have a weekly breakdown schedule that you can print off.

This is year 1

http://www.amblesideonline.org/01sch.shtml

And this is year 7

http://www.amblesideonline.org/07sch.shtml

Would that be enough of a plan to help you or do you need a daily planned out for every subject kind of thing? Not being critical btw. It sounds like you are very over whelmed and in the can't-manage-even-one-more--thing mode. (((hugs))) btdt.

I'm just trying to figure out what would work for you. :)

I probably need something a little more than that.  I don't handle what my brain perceives as chaos well at all.  Both mental and visual.  I get overwhelmed, shut down and avoid.  I wish I wasn't that way....really, but it's just something about myself I've learned that I have to deal with.

PMing you and giving this a bump.

I second bozeman science.

As far as the K12, if you make too much money they will not provide the computer. If you get to that point and they don't provide the machine, you can always dump it. It was pretty painless to do that.

Is there a yahoo homeschooling group or something similar in your area? I would start there, just telling them what you told us. I bet there's lots of moms who have books that they need to get rid of and that will be a big help.

I second bozeman science.

As far as the K12, if you make too much money they will not provide the computer. If you get to that point and they don't provide the machine, you can always dump it. It was pretty painless to do that.

Is there a yahoo homeschooling group or something similar in your area? I would start there, just telling them what you told us. I bet there's lots of moms who have books that they need to get rid of and that will be a big help.

That's good to know.  We're below 133% poverty level as a family of 6 with no real end in sight, so I'd bet we don't make too much.

I've never looked for any groups in my area, so there might be.  That being said, I've got some offers on the table.  I just need to finish sorting them out and figure out what's left to be filled in.

Have you looked into allinonehomeschool.com

It's on my list to do today.  I'm still concerned that it would need regular computer access for her, which, at this point, I cannot provide.  That is probably our biggest issue with finding cheap/free things to use.  Even on Craigslist, used towers are going for $100-$200.

As far as "piecing" things together, it is not always as hard as it seems.  It can be as straightforward as gathering the history books together (spine and supplements), count the # of chapters, then divide by weeks in your school year (usually 36).  Print out a grid-style planner and fill in the chapter/s she needs to read per week and voila!  Or, I glance thru a book, estimate how long it should take to read and fill in the grid month by month.

Then I go to math, look at # of lessons, divide by 36, and so on...

HTH,

As far as "piecing" things together, it is not always as hard as it seems.  It can be as straightforward as gathering the history books together (spine and supplements), count the # of chapters, then divide by weeks in your school year (usually 36).  Print out a grid-style planner and fill in the chapter/s she needs to read per week and voila!  Or, I glance thru a book, estimate how long it should take to read and fill in the grid month by month.

Then I go to math, look at # of lessons, divide by 36, and so on...

HTH,

When it is split up in lessons and the lessons are all inclusive, I don't have an issue.  That's easy enough.  I could even split up chapters by the weeks in the year, but I know she wouldn't be happy just reading all year.  She needs things to do....worksheets, projects, hands on stuff, etc....THAT is where I start to struggle.

Just make sure about "attendance" with the virtual schools, here the students I helped had to "log in" at certain times each day or for so many hours/day. That could be tough.

This was a friend's experience with Connections. Her dd was in 7th and had to be online for several hours a day to get through the lessons. They ended up dropping after a couple months because there was little flexibility in the attendance requirements.

When it is split up in lessons and the lessons are all inclusive, I don't have an issue. That's easy enough. I could even split up chapters by the weeks in the year, but I know she wouldn't be happy just reading all year. She needs things to do....worksheets, projects, hands on stuff, etc....THAT is where I start to struggle.

I know our library has lots of activity books on most traditional school topics. What if you turned the activity finding, and planning, over to her?

For example:

Week one: read assigned materials about topic A

Week two: research and complete activity about topic A, write up a page detailing findings, etc.

Week three: read assigned materials about topic B

Week four: research and complete activity about topic B, some sort of written output.

And so on.........

You could be her advisor to make sure she chooses things at an appropriate level, but she would be in charge of researching and planning.

This was a friend's experience with Connections. Her dd was in 7th and had to be online for several hours a day to get through the lessons. They ended up dropping after a couple months because there was little flexibility in the attendance requirements.

I really worry about that.  We are quite busy.....she also is dual enrolled for music.  What if her assigned class time at the middle school was when she was supposed to be on the computer? 

Kristin, I am almost sure that K12 will provide your computer. That is what I would do in your shoes.

I really want to avoid doing that if I can....and I think, with the offers I've gotten here I'll be able to do that :)  You people rock!

I really worry about that.  We are quite busy.....she also is dual enrolled for music.  What if her assigned class time at the middle school was when she was supposed to be on the computer? 

I really want to avoid doing that if I can....and I think, with the offers I've gotten here I'll be able to do that :)  You people rock!

Just to explain--friend & dc spend one morning a week out and they were able to work it so her dd could log in at a later time. The classes weren't synchronous--they didn't all meet together in a chat session at the same time. The classes were already recorded for her to watch. The inflexibility came with spur of the moment activities or working in field trips. Any days off had to be scheduled in advance with the coordinator. Trips to the park to draw spring blooms or Friday morning art lessons didn't count as school--they still had to get on the computer and log their sessions. Friend felt confined to the schedule. But it was her first year homeschooling and she wasn't sure how to approach it so she decided to start with Connections. After a couple months she realized it wasn't how she envisioned homeschooling would be for them and by then had more confidence to strike out on her own.

Anyway, I'm glad you see a way ahead of you and that it looks like things will work out. :thumbup1:

Okay....I've had time to sit down and make a chart with subjects and what has been offered to me.  Those that made offers, thank you so much....again!  I've contacted everyone, I think.....and I'm down to just a few things needed.  WOW!  What an awesome place this is.....I'm flabbergasted.

So....I have a list of books that my library doesn't have (from SL core H) that I still need:

Usborne Encyclopedia of World History 
The Iron Peacock
Madeleine Takes Command
In Search of Honor
Betsy and the Emperor
Only the Names Remain
Year of Impossible Goodbyes
Escape from Warsaw
The Breadwinner
A Murder for Her Majesty
Escape Across the Wide Sea
The Kidnapped Prince
The Arrow Over the Door
The Sherwood Ring
A Heart Strangely Warmed
Mary Jones and Her Bible
I Am David

Not necessary, but I'd still like to do Latin with both girls (they'd both be brand new), DD13 would like to do some sort of formal Home Ec type curriculum (yes, I know I can do this by just including her, but she wants something more structured), and maybe spelling with DD6, though I'm not sure that she's ready (she's still mainly reading cvc words).....but again, really not must haves.