Explain this to me

Scarlett

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought they were talking about SGs first, and I know there is a secret general WTM fb group that I'm not cool enough to be in.  This has gotten quite complicated. :p

I can't answer that unless you know the handshake.

*Does the chicken dance*

No? Must be a different one. ;)

Me, too.  Apparently Freud would have a fun time with my subconscious mind.  I seem to be all sorts of nefarious.  I also use "like" and "totally" a lot.  I would say it's because I was a skater punk for years and I picked it up, but really, it's probably that I'm devious.

I was *just* thinking of Freud! lol!

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

OK, first you've never heard of it...and you discount my explanation...but Mergath's expanation works for you so now you're

on board.

I never discounted your explanation. Mergath just expanded on the theme.

If a true sentence analyst is to make a complete study of one's speech pattern before pronouncing someone a liar, it would seem that if you are saying Bethany is lying then you've made a study of her speech patterns, yes?

Or is Mergath also lying about how this analysis is done?

I never discounted your explanation. Mergath just expanded on the theme.

If a true sentence analyst is to make a complete study of one's speech pattern before pronouncing someone a liar, it would seem that if you are saying Bethany is lying then you've made a study of her speech patterns, yes?

Or is Mergath also lying about how this analysis is done?

I'm saying that in the context of my conversation with Bethany, her reply of "I have no idea" would indicate the opposite.

The topic is a sensitive one to her and so I think statement analysis is useful.

Police use it all the time with suspects they have never met. I don't think Mergath is lying. I think I have a different understanding of it.

I'm stating directly that I think Bethany has an idea why crazy stupid love thinks a secret FB group that both Bethany and CSL both belonged to is a gossipfest.

Why would you think that? Different people can perceive the same conversation in very different ways. One person's absolute truth is another person's flying spaghetti religion. Maybe one read more or different stuff than the other. Who knows? I think you could allow for the possibility that they both believe what they say. But, if you are convinced that everyone who uses "actually" or "exactly" is a liar, then we are coming from very different places.

People have different perceptions. CSL sees it as a gossipfest. Hundreds of others see it as a place to laugh and love and support each other.

Maybe CSL's perception is more of a reflection of her than of the reality of the group...just saying.

Have you ever heard of statement analysis?

Usually when people say they have "no idea" it means the exact opposite.

crazy stupid love was part of that group and she said she left.

I'm sorry, did you just call me a liar? I'm many things, but not a liar.

I have no idea what crazy stupid's love real name/name she uses on facebook is.  So I literally HAVE NO IDEA. I do not know who she was in the group.

(And gee, no, of course I've never heard of statement analysis. I'm just one of those uneducated Christians, remember?)

Aaaand clearly I need to be done with this thread now...

My "understanding" of it is different than yours.

Obviously.  Your "understanding" of it (thank you for being the first one to put that in quotation marks, btw) makes it far more convenient for you to call out anyone you disagree with as a liar.  I suppose we'll just ignore the pesky fact that everyone uses different expressions and speech patterns based on region and culture, and there's no way to analyze their speech without first knowing what those speech patterns are.  We'll also ignore the fact that people "speak" much differently on the internet than they do in real life, and it's almost impossible to discern someone's subconscious intent from something one types on a message board.  We'll just set all that aside so you can continue to degrade everyone's character based on word choice.

:001_rolleyes:

I don't know that I want to be in it.

But the allusions to it just fascinated me! So I want to know what goes on there.

It's almost like a country club...nope, don't want to join but I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

I am nosy by nature.

Shhhhh. It's Torchwood.

Obviously.  Your "understanding" of it (thank you for being the first one to put that in quotation marks, btw) makes it far more convenient for you to call out anyone you disagree with as a liar.  I suppose we'll just ignore the pesky fact that everyone uses different expressions and speech patterns based on region and culture, and there's no way to analyze their speech without first knowing what those speech patterns are.  We'll also ignore the fact that people "speak" much differently on the internet than they do in real life, and it's almost impossible to discern someone's subconscious intent from something one types on a message board.  We'll just set all that aside so you can continue to degrade everyone's character based on word choice.

:001_rolleyes:

I didn't call anyone a liar.

I don't know why you're coming after me?

I'm saying that in the context of my conversation with Bethany, her reply of "I have no idea" would indicate the opposite.

The topic is a sensitive one to her and so I think statement analysis is useful.

Police use it all the time with suspects they have never met. I don't think Mergath is lying. I think I have a different understanding of it.

So you just use what might be a half-a$$ed understanding of a questionable science and call people on what you perceive to be lies. Nice

I gotta go play with my kid.

I didn't call anyone a liar.

I don't know why you're coming after me?

You certainly implied it, and in reference to someone that's most certainly not a liar.  It was rude.  If that wasn't your intent, perhaps you should edit the post in question.

Oh, and words like actually and exactly are considered unnecessary qualifiers.

When people use those, it indicates it is a sensitive topic to the writer.

Why would you think that? Different people can perceive the same conversation in very different ways. One person's absolute truth is another person's flying spaghetti religion. Maybe one read more or different stuff than the other. Who knows? I think you could allow for the possibility that they both believe what they say. But, if you are convinced that everyone who uses "actually" or "exactly" is a liar, then we are coming from very different places.

This is what I said about using actually and exactly.

so I never indicated the part I bolded in your post.

You certainly implied it, and in reference to someone that's most certainly not a liar.  It was rude.  If that wasn't your intent, perhaps you should edit the post in question.

I wont' because I stand by what I wrote.

Most people/humans have ideas about situations they are involved in.

This is what I said about using actually and exactly.

so I never indicated the part I bolded in your post.

Actually, you said:

"I'm stating directly that I think Bethany has an idea why crazy stupid love thinks a secret FB group that both Bethany and CSL both belonged to is a gossipfest."

That is the bit where you called someone a liar.

Well, im not csl & haven't mentioned the super-secret FB group before but I was also part of it when it first started, for few weeks maybe. So I can't speak to how the group may have evolved since I left. But it seemed to be mostly a place to talk about other wtm members. There were a couple instances where people were talked about (using their wtm name) in a very negative way and then were allowed to join the group or were already part of the group but the members hadn't checked the name/wtm id list to know that they were part of the group.

I have no problem with Bethany or Rosie or several other members of that group but I wasn't comfortable being a part of that. If it has changed, great.

I'm sorry, did you just call me a liar? I'm many things, but not a liar.

I have no idea what crazy stupid's love real name/name she uses on facebook is.  So I literally HAVE NO IDEA. I do not know who she was in the group.

(And gee, no, of course I've never heard of statement analysis. I'm just one of those uneducated Christians, remember?)

Aaaand clearly I need to be done with this thread now...

No, I didn't call you a liar or an uneducated Christian.

Actually, you said:

"I'm stating directly that I think Bethany has an idea why crazy stupid love thinks a secret FB group that both Bethany and CSL both belonged to is a gossipfest."

That is the bit where you called someone a liar.

No, I did not call her a liar.

There is a difference between what I wrote and calling her a liar.

Well, im not csl & haven't mentioned the super-secret FB group before but I was also part of it when it first started, for few weeks maybe. So I can't speak to how the group may have evolved since I left. But it seemed to be mostly a place to talk about other wtm members. There were a couple instances where people were talked about (using their wtm name) in a very negative way and then were allowed to join the group or were already part of the group but the members hadn't checked the name/wtm id list to know that they were part of the group.

I have no problem with Bethany or Rosie or several other members of that group but I wasn't comfortable being a part of that. If it has changed, great.

I'm sorry it was like that when you were around :(.  I've been there a few months and it certainly isn't like that any more.

I wonder if your post will get deleted just like CSL's?

Yeah, if it's a facebook group you aren't going to recognize all the WTM people because they don't necessarily use their facebook names here.

Unless you know me from somewhere else, you would never guess what my facebook name is.  It isn't anything remotely similar to "SKL."

I'm not on FB, but I thought there was several WTM FB groups.  Are you sure you all are talking about the same one?

There are several and who knows, lol. 

No, I did not call her a liar.

There is a difference between what I wrote and calling her a liar.

Not to my mind. But, I really have to go to the store so that my kids don't chew my limbs off like feral animals. Later!

I'm sorry it was like that when you were around :(. I've been there a few months and it certainly isn't like that any more.

Hi, I'm not a weirdo stalker or anything. But I was just thinking about you the other day. I thought "gee I miss seeing that cheerful screen name and avatar around".

ETA: like tends to congregate with like, thus it would not surprise me that afore mentioned subset of folks have a social outlet on FB or anywhere else. 

Very true, Martha. I just wanted to point out here that the ONLY 'like' that ties us together in the fb group is that we met here on the WTM forums. Worldview, religion, marital status, opinion on cupcakes; none of them are 'like' in that group. We're just as diverse there as here. The big difference is that there, it's much smaller, you get to 'know' people more. And we are much more civil. It is rare, almost unheard of, to have anything resembling a personal attack against another member there. IMO. IMO. Apparently the fact that someone here named crazy stupid love has a *different* opinion likely makes me a liar; so judge carefully.  :D

I'm stating directly that I think Bethany has an idea why crazy stupid love thinks a secret FB group that both Bethany and CSL both belonged to is a gossipfest.

I'm not doing to it to someone off the street.

Truly, I think this is the first time since joining this forum that another poster has made me feel personally creeped out. 

(Wait, is using "truly" a bad thing to do? Does that mean I'm exaggerating or lying? Ugh...)

There are several and who knows, lol. 

Not to my mind. But, I really have to go to the store so that my kids don't chew my limbs off like feral animals. Later!

Well, I'd like it if you can keep it in your mind and stop telling me that I said something I did not say.

I wasn't part of it when you were part of it.  I joined later --around Christmas, I think -- when a friend invited me.  I can tell you the FB group is no longer the way you described it.  We mostly talk about kids, the good, bad, and ugly in our lives (including problems with spouses -- a topic not allowed here), and homeschooling. 

As someone else said (Bethany or Kristin?) it moves quickly.  It's easy to miss threads.  It's possible she doesn't know why the member in question left.  I was around when she left and I'm not 100% sure why she decided to leave.  I admit that I have an idea, but I'm not going to speak for her.  If Bethany says she has no idea, it's likely she truly has no idea.

No, I didn't call you a liar or an uneducated Christian.

You "didn't" call me a liar in just the same way that I'm not calling you creepy in this post...

Truly, I think this is the first time since joining this forum that another poster has made me feel personally creeped out. 

Very true, Martha. I just wanted to point out here that the ONLY 'like' that ties us together in the fb group is that we met here on the WTM forums. Worldview, religion, marital status, opinion on cupcakes; none of them are 'like' in that group. We're just as diverse there as here. The big difference is that there, it's much smaller, you get to 'know' people more. And we are much more civil. It is rare, almost unheard of, to have anything resembling a personal attack against another member there. IMO. IMO. Apparently the fact that someone here named crazy stupid love has a *different* opinion likely makes me a liar; so judge carefully.  :D

(Wait, is using "truly" a bad thing to do? Does that mean I'm exaggerating or lying? Ugh...)

I am sorry I creeped you out.

I did not call you a liar.

If I asked the same question to an IRL friend and she answered, "I have no idea," I'd say, "come on. Of course you do! Everyone has ideas."

That's not calling someone a liar.

Bwahaha best line I have read all day, thanks for the laugh