Menu

I hate our bed!!!!

ProudGrandma

Before we left on our 3 week vacation my lower back would ache in pain every morning for about an hour or two...not horrible....but while on our vacation we slept on a total of 4 different beds (everything from a camper bed with memory foam that I put there, to a hide-a-be that is hard an bumpy to an old bed (like 50 years old) to a brand new bed that is only used for company) and NOT ONCE did I wake up with a sore back. So then i sort of forgot about it...and we returned home Friday...and this morning again my back is sore.

I am assuming it's the bed...

and even if we could afford a new bed...how in the world would I even know if it would be comfortable for me???

this is a frustrating situation....what would you do??

Boy, oh boy, do I hear you!! Can we form a "I Hate My Bed" club? :lol:

Do you happen to have a pillow top bed? I ask because that is what we have and we hate it. It is now eight years old and the 'trenches' where we lay are really, really bad. We can afford a new mattress, but just don't know what to buy.

Interestingly, we just got back from a vacation where we both just LOVED the mattress...... we peeked at it and it was an old-fashioned "flip every 6 months" Sealy. Probably bottom of the line (or close to it) as it was in a rental home. Still, we're hesitant to buy, because what if we buy a new one and still don't like it?!

In the meantime, I just received a 3" memory foam topper that I got at Kohl's (online--- they had a killer deal!) for a song and a dance, and am getting ready to try that.

As a side note, I find that I sleep really well on super soft beds. We have a firm one because at the time, that is what was being touted a 'best for backs', but I'm not so sure about that advice. My back (and hips!!!!) feel so much better when I sleep on a "cloud" rather than a "board".

:grouphug: You poor thing!   I detest bad mattresses, but they seem to be sold more and more.  They start out wonderful, and quickly go from comfy to s torture device that leaves you feeling like you slept on rocks.

Our next mattress will be a flippable one, if I can find one.  No one will impress me with a pillow top again, even if I live to be a hundred.

My sister loves her tempur pedic.  I'd like to try it, but she lives too far away.

I really, really, really want a Tempurpedic bed. They are just so darn expensive!!!!!!!!!!

I want the Split King, so I don't feel DH and his restless leg syndrome shaking me awake 10 times (or more) per night. In fact, with the split king, you can separate the beds into two xl twins if necessary and have two separate beds.

:grouphug: You poor thing!   I detest bad mattresses, but they seem to be sold more and more.  They start out wonderful, and quickly go from comfy to s torture device that leaves you feeling like you slept on rocks.

Our next mattress will be a flippable one, if I can find one.  No one will impress me with a pillow top again, even if I live to be a hundred.

My sister loves her tempur pedic.  I'd like to try it, but she lives too far away.

I'm holding out for flippable, too. I really think those are the best. My parents and brother all have 20+ y/o mattresses that are just fine. Our expensive pillow top started 'going south' in two years.  :glare:

I really, really, really want a Tempurpedic bed. They are just so darn expensive!!!!!!!!!!

I want the Split King, so I don't feel DH and his restless leg syndrome shaking me awake 10 times (or more) per night. In fact, with the split king, you can separate the beds into two xl twins if necessary and have two separate beds.

I wanted one until my neighbor got one. They hated it from day one and wound up returning it just before the return window ended. They gave it their best shot. Between my neighbor's story, stories of others, and my own, I have been sufficiently cured of my 'expensive bed' thoughts and will go the 'old fashioned' route when we get a new one.

Why didn't they like it?????

I'm holding out for flippable, too. I really think those are the best. My parents and brother all have 20+ y/o mattresses that are just fine. Our expensive pillow top started 'going south' in two years.  :glare:

I wanted one until my neighbor got one. They hated it from day one and wound up returning it just before the return window ended. They gave it their best shot. Between my neighbor's story, stories of others, and my own, I have been sufficiently cured of my 'expensive bed' thoughts and will go the 'old fashioned' route when we get a new one.

Us too. Our mattress is horrible and the bed itself has been taken apart so many times that it is sooo squeaky!!

We stay in Marriott hotels b/c they let us get the government rate even if DH isn't on business travel, and we sleep SO well on their mattresses.

One time, in Valley Forge, I mentioned that to the lady at the hotel desk and she said you can actually buy the mattresses! I looked into it and the mattresses are made by a company named Jameson, they get really good reviews. You can google it.

We're totally getting one within the year :)

but a king is 76"x 80" so it isn't a perfect square......how does that work?

Ours isn't flippable, but every now and then we spin it a quarter turn. I guess maybe it only works with a king sized mattress. It helps.

I love my bed :) it's extra firm, which is just what I need.  It's actually a futon, though, not a mattress. 

I spend a fair amount of time staying in hotels.  Marriott beds aren't bad, and Westin's Heavenly Beds are reputed to be as good if not better.  Both are too soft for me.

You may wish to look around www.sleeplikethedead.com and see what others have to say about some of the mattresses you're considering.

Good luck finding the right one; it's like trying to find the right foot to fit the slipper ;)

[quote name="Wildcat" post="5104096" timestamp=

I hated mine for the first week. It was hot, hard, and smelly. Then I googled and found out that it needs to be broken in-the pores of the foam need to open up. I walked up and down the mattress to help it along. Now I love it. Those issues are not a problem anymore.

I hear you! I was waking up with back pain too. We bought a memory-foam mattress topper on sale at Kohls and it changed my life! My back feels so much better. Our plan for our next bed is to buy an inexpensive mattress that can flip and add a separate memory-foam topper again. :)

I had lower back pains since I was a teenager. Went on vacation for a week about eight years ago and had no back problems while there. A while after I came back, I ordered a memory foam topper from Overstock, which improved the situation from "horrible" to "bad". After a few years, the memory foam started degrading and my back was going downhill with it. Three years ago we finally sprang for a Sleep Number bed and it has been one of the best decisions I've made. My back is rarely ever achy now.

http://www.costco.com/mattresses.html

If you fear commitment..buy at Costco.

Costco has a 10 year, no questions asked warranty.  

We returned a mattress after a couple of years because it was forming divots and they were great about it. It wasn't just us, the reviews from other people who bought that particular mattress all mentioned the same issue.  

We ordered a different model and had it delivered at the same time they picked up the new one.  Very easy and now we love our mattress again.  I don't remember which one we have, but if you look at the website you can read real reviews and that was very helpful for us when we were making the decision. Our mattress now is Latex and we were told that it is cooler to sleep on than memory foam.  

If you have a Costco home store (a Costco that has a larger furniture section all year round) they have many of the models so you can try them out. 

I used to get a really, really sore lower back from soft mattresses. I found that for me, the firmer the better. Perhaps you can put your mattress on the floor for a week or so, and see how you sleep. If that helps, then I'd go for a really firm mattress.

Our pillow top developed trenches too. We couldn't afford a new mattress, and so I bought two latex mattress toppers. I got rid of the mattress and put the two toppers on the box springs. It was way cheaper than a new mattress and has been wonderful for us for probably 7 years now.

what is a latex topper?  I have not heard of this.  And we don't have a Costco less than 3 hours away....I doubt they will deliever for nothing to our home.

Our current bed has two toppers (one on each side) so you can flip it and I never thought of the trenches causeing my problems...but I bet that is it.  I also wondered about needing a harder matress....I will be thinking about that too....I wish the temper-pedic or even the sleep number beds weren't so expensive....but we really can't afford a new bed right now....so I am looking for a cheaper fix that will buy us some time.

thanks for all of your answers and responses....

Why didn't they like it?????

I honestly can't remember. It has been several years since she got the bed, and at least a year since I last spoke with her. I just filed it away for future reference. I do remember, though, that she had a whole host of compaints from both her and her dh.

I hated mine for the first week. It was hot, hard, and smelly. Then I googled and found out that it needs to be broken in-the pores of the foam need to open up. I walked up and down the mattress to help it along. Now I love it. Those issues are not a problem anymore.

I'm so glad you found a bed you like. No snark intended; I'm jealous. My friend had her bed for a few months, so the things you mention probably weren't her only issues (if at all), but I wonder if they added to her frustration at the beginning.

what is a latex topper?  I have not heard of this.  And we don't have a Costco less than 3 hours away....I doubt they will deliever for nothing to our home.

Our current bed has two toppers (one on each side) so you can flip it and I never thought of the trenches causeing my problems...but I bet that is it.  I also wondered about needing a harder matress....I will be thinking about that too....I wish the temper-pedic or even the sleep number beds weren't so expensive....but we really can't afford a new bed right now....so I am looking for a cheaper fix that will buy us some time.

thanks for all of your answers and responses....

I think it's funny that doctors recommend a firm bed for sore backs. Dh and I never had back problems until our current bed (it's firm with a small pillow top), and my dad (who has had a bad back since I was a kid) does great on his softer bed. Dh and I agree that we feel so much better & more well-rested on a softer bed, and several of my Bunco pals (ladies a good 10-15 years older than me) say the same thing, so I wonder where the 'firm bed= better for bad backs' comes from. Huh.

I think it's funny that doctors recommend a firm bed for sore backs. Dh and I never had back problems until our current bed (it's firm with a small pillow top), and my dad (who has had a bad back since I was a kid) does great on his softer bed. Dh and I agree that we feel so much better & more well-rested on a softer bed, and several of my Bunco pals (ladies a good 10-15 years older than me) say the same thing, so I wonder where the 'firm bed= better for bad backs' comes from. Huh.

Probably just changing trends, like the way baby shoes used to be high-top leather things, and now babies wear fabric booties or suede moccasins if anything.

Hubby has terrible back pain, so we got a Tempurpedic.  It felt good for about six months, but it lasted about two years.  It developed horrible troughs that no amount of turning would erase, and they would not honor the warranty on, because they "weren't deep enough."  What a rip-off.  We finally pulled the whole darn thing apart and cut the middle into an XL twin size for one of my kids to use, hoping to redeem some of its value. 

We looked at the Sleep Numbers, but found something we like much, much better:  We are now four years into the "least pillow-toppish" Comfortaire we could buy.   It's been a phenomenal bed, and--even better--it comes in latex-free for those with latex allergies.  We can each adjust our own side of the air-bladders, and we've slept really well on them.  I can't sing its praises highly enough, and so far, the longevity of it is better than anything we've had before.

I love my bed :) it's extra firm, which is just what I need.  It's actually a futon, though, not a mattress. 

I spend a fair amount of time staying in hotels.  Marriott beds aren't bad, and Westin's Heavenly Beds are reputed to be as good if not better.  Both are too soft for me.

You may wish to look around www.sleeplikethedead.com and see what others have to say about some of the mattresses you're considering.

Good luck finding the right one; it's like trying to find the right foot to fit the slipper ;)

I sleep on a futon as well. It is nice and firm, my back and hips love it.

I just stayed at a Westin last weekend and slept so magnificently!  Then I came home and slept like poo!  Their heavenly bed was just that to me.  Our bed is way too firm, but DH likes it.  I think I'm going to try the memory foam topper. 

but a king is 76"x 80" so it isn't a perfect square......how does that work?

My DH refuses to sleep on it the short way. :lol:  Just on principle--not that he's too tall for it or anything.

http://www.costco.com/mattresses.html

If you fear commitment..buy at Costco.

Costco has a 10 year, no questions asked warranty.  

We returned a mattress after a couple of years because it was forming divots and they were great about it. It wasn't just us, the reviews from other people who bought that particular mattress all mentioned the same issue.  

We ordered a different model and had it delivered at the same time they picked up the new one.  Very easy and now we love our mattress again.  I don't remember which one we have, but if you look at the website you can read real reviews and that was very helpful for us when we were making the decision. Our mattress now is Latex and we were told that it is cooler to sleep on than memory foam.  

If you have a Costco home store (a Costco that has a larger furniture section all year round) they have many of the models so you can try them out. 

Costco also has very affordable memory foam mattresses, too, that get excellent reviews.

We bought an iComfort by Serta six months ago.  It is wonderful!  It was crazy expensive, but we love it. 

Don't be shy about testing out the mattresses.  My husband took a 30 minute nap in the middle of the mattress section of the furniture store. :)

Snicker. That is something only a man can do. I would lay there for hours tossing and turning before falling into a light sleep only to be awakened by the first person who opened the door and made it go "ding".  :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Costco split king is what I am looking at getting, I think the foam is called the Ara.

I just can't seem to pull the trigger for the $2,500 (on sale) plus tax cost.

My DH refuses to sleep on it the short way. :lol:  Just on principle--not that he's too tall for it or anything.

Costco also has very affordable memory foam mattresses, too, that get excellent reviews.

I couldn't even do that.

I am a super light sleeper. No way I can fall asleep with others even there!

Snicker. That is something only a man can do. I would lay there for hours tossing and turning before falling into a light sleep only to be awakened by the first person who opened the door and made it go "ding".  :lol: :lol: :lol: