Menu

How about those northerners with no air conditioning?

Parrothead

Us! 93*F and no A/C here in Maine. The kids and I hit the waterpark today. 5 applications of sunblock (2 entire spray cans!)in 5 hours and we still turned into lobsters.

Ah, I wish I could have headed south to FT/ST. Four hours in the air conditioned car then a water park! Whoot. I hope you guys had fun. I've never actually been. We live too far north for it to not be a day trip.

We did make it to one of the somewhat local camp grounds yesterday to use their pool.

I am on the coast and still broiling.  :bored:  Normally we're a good 5-10 degrees cooler than inland, but if there's a difference today, I'm not feeling it!  I've been living by the pool because I can't stand the thought of baking at the beach.  Tonight DH is going to put our window AC unit in the family room so we have a place to go to cool down.  Usually it cools down enough at night to be comfortable for sleeping... but we'll see.

We have one small A/C unit that's in an office window and keeps the family room bearable, but that's about it.  We do have a pool, but honestly, the water's almost 90 degrees, and it's just too hot to be outside!  I'm usually not uncomfortable in heat, but even I'm melting right now.  My poor dc had TKD today in a studio with no A/C...the smell of sweat was overwhelming.

We have one small A/C unit that's in an office window and keeps the family room bearable, but that's about it. We do have a pool, but honestly, the water's almost 90 degrees, and it's just too hot to be outside! I'm usually not uncomfortable in heat, but even I'm melting right now. My poor dc had TKD today in a studio with no A/C...the smell of sweat was overwhelming.

Oh, I bet. I was dreading tai chi tomorrow, but it looks like we will be outside at the park.

Well it's been pretty much raining since 8 pm yesterday so I am not hot today.  I think the highest we have gotten so far this summer is about mid-80s which for us is stifling and makes the house feel like an oven.  Now for most of you that may not seem hot at all, but keep in mind I live in a place that spends 6-8 months of the year with a minus in front of the digit when discussing temperature. :)

Before the window units we lived in the river on hot days. We'd go to the river and then watch a movie in the coolest part of the house. We now have one window unit upstairs and one on the main floor. It does the trick. Even if you bought one small unit for one room it would be so worth it!

Ugh. There are so very few trees in that area.

Which one?  Western North Dakota or northern Kansas?  

Because of course they're both pretty treeless...Such is the nature of the plains, afterall.   ;)

Personally, I hate too many trees because I can't see enough of the sky.  It makes me feel very claustrophobic   

Which one? Western North Dakota or northern Kansas?

Because of course they're both pretty treeless...Such is the nature of the plains, afterall. ;)

Personally, I hate too many trees because I can't see enough of the sky. It makes me feel very claustrophobic

Sorry. I was thinking Williston. The trees were the one thing dh missed by living in that area. We were actually in the Montana side, but Williston was where we went to go to Walmart and the supermarket.

I have told ds that he must be up and out by seven a.m. during this heat wave so he can get his miles in for cross-country. Any later start than that and I will be boiled alive on the bike tagging along. It is still 90 F, with about an hour until sunset.  Small good thing is that the temp is going to go below 70 F tonight.

We're in NC, and DS's cross country team starts their practices at 6:30 a.m.  At school.  That means he has to leave home by 6:15 to make it.  Last year they didn't start until 7:00, but it was getting too hot by then.

97 degrees inside the UN air conditioned 4-H Dairy barn. One club was a no show so my kids, dh, and myself ended up working six hours in it and without relief, couldn't get potty breaks either. I'm absolutely drained. Thankfully, the air in our bedroom is working just fine as I type. The boys think I'm crazy because I took a cold shower and then came in her dripping wet so the water could evaporate off my skin...I'm almost cold now. :hurray:

I take cold better than I do heat. Always have.

Faith

Eww, yeah. Last week or so it peaked at 103 up here in mountains of northern California. It was 90F in our house, humid and it was horrible! Over summer, it is usually around 90F outside making our house an a tolerable 80F. DH and I contemplated spending the next tax return on converting our existing furnace for AC. Im just not sure if 10 days or so of that heat will be worth it....

I never had a/c in my Baltimore suburb home as a kid. Baltimore has many over 90 degree days. Maaaaaany. With high humidity.

Eat lots of slushies (icies, snowballs) everyone calls them something different. Or freezie pops. Eating ice really does help, at least temporarily. Nif you don't want the sugar, suck on ice chips/cubes.

Put your feet in cold water or drape your hand in cold water. Again, temporary, but it does cool you off to a more bearable level.

And a cold wet washcloth on your head at night to fall asleep. Maybe another one on your chest.

One of the few reasons I looked forward to moving to FL was that I knew I would always have a/c. I have no idea how the early settlers survived without it. We need it 10 months out of the year.

And ITA, it's the humidity that kills you. I lived out west with no a/c (90-100* in the summer) and it was unpleasant, but not torturous like it would be in the East.

we actually went to the Boardwalk until about midnight.  There was a nice ocean breeze but now we are back in the hot house.  We have window units in the bedroom, none anywhere else and I forgot to turn them on before we left so now am waiting downstairs near the open windows and ceiling fans till the bedrooms cool down.  

Heat is not expected to get below 90 until Sat.  I am not happy.

It's already 75 outside, not even 9am, but it's 79 inside so I have doors open to try to drop a couple degrees before it heats up more.  We've all slept in my room the last two nights, to have only one of the window a/c run.  The living room isn't too bad with a fan running.  Kids have tennis this morning and soccer this evening - yesterday they came home very red both times, even with taking extra water.  Yesterday we went to the air-conditioned mall (a 40 minute air-conditioned drive each way) and I had dh pick up a pizza on his way home because I couldn't stand to turn on the oven.  Tomorrow we'll go to the beach after tennis.  

We are in northern Maine. Our house has southern exposure with 50 acres (33 of open fields), but the back yard (roadside) is nothing but trees sheltering the northern side.  Yesterday the temp was 98 (rare here).  However, inside the house was 78!  Have to love those trees!  We do keep the windows closed all day to keep the heat out.

I'm melting.  It doesn't help that I'm 32 weeks pregnant with no car this week and the only thing we have in the house to eat for dinner is something that requires a 425* oven. 

:grouphug: :grouphug:

I have had to use the oven too. Awful!  We've had 4 extra people in the house since the 30th so I can't always crockpot and grill on a budget.

We are in northern Maine. Our house has southern exposure with 50 acres (33 of open fields), but the back yard (roadside) is nothing but trees sheltering the northern side. Yesterday the temp was 98 (rare here). However, inside the house was 78! Have to love those trees! We do keep the windows closed all day to keep the heat out.

I wish we were out of town and living on the homestead already. Glad you were fairly comfortable. It was pretty bad in town.

I didn't realize it got up to 98. Dh came home and said his app said 93. For some reason I felt better not knowing the truth. LOL.