Menu

Would this extracurricular outing sched turn me into Mommy Dearest?

Hello everyone. Quick question for you guys. I have two kids-- 7.5 and 9. We live in the suburbs of a medium sized city. I am wanting to start them on cello lessons and most of the lessons available are around the University down in town.

There's a great program through our University's music department that is very reasonable in price. I want to sign my kids up-- but the time available is Thursday at 4:15. They are going to be taking classes on Thursday (2 science, 1 math) elsewhere from 9-1:45.

Would I be crazy to try to drag them down to the U after a day out at classes? One little issue-- our city does not have a highway system. It's about 30-40 minutes of street traffic (stop lights, etc) to get there. Also, would I be even crazier to schedule their French lessons in (we're getting a native speaker tutor) at the University while we're down there? I'd like to kill 27 birds with one stone, if possible.

Has anyone here tried to schedule in all the *extras* in on one day? Do you think its worth the time to just get it all out of the way once a week? Or am I just going to go crazy and end up banging my head against a stringed instrument from all the work?

I schedule all our extras on Tuesdays. Music lessons in the morning(cello for oldest, piano for the two middle ones). Then lunch break-picnic or out to eat. Art class at our local museum in the afternoon. Dd has dance class after that.

It works. Some days it's easy. Other days, well, I'm no Joan Crawford, but crankiness does creep out. ;) We rarely get school work done if we spread activities over the whole week. We need to stay home in order to get school done, so spending one day doing art & music, etc. is the way to go for us.

I tried that last year..though not as hectic as yours.   I thought it would be great, get it all done in one day.   Save my other days for getting school work done at home.  It got kinda exhausting.  For one, if we were sick that day, that means we missed EVERYTHING that week.   For two, after such a long exhausting day, the next day, we (well, mostly me) were like vegetables, and wanted to vegetate.  Hard to get myself motivated the next day.   For three, even though I tried to get everything on that one day, life throws curve balls, so other things came up on other days, ie field trips with our field trip/social group, Dr's/Dentist appoints (can't schedule those on that "busy' day..no time!) which means that luxury of having four full days at home, cuz I scheduled everything on one day...didn't turn out to be so true after all.  For four...frankly my children were over it by the afternoon.  They were done being "on" and didn't enjoy the afternoon activities much cuz they were ready to just go home.

For me, and mine, I've learned over the last nine years of hsing:  1.  It's just flat out better not to over schedule to begin with.   Now I pick the most important activities and prioritize.   2. We try to have at least three days a week where we don't HAVE to be anywhere.   Doesn't mean we can't leave the house, only that we aren't committed to.   And the days we do have to be somewhere, a scheduled activity, because we are not out every day, on the run all the time, it's something we all look forward to.   I only commit to activities that are in the afternoon, because I'm not giving up my mornings and school time.

I don't think it would turn you into mommy dearest, but it is a lot in one day.  If you think you and your dc can handle it, then go for it.  Here, we are more homebodies.  We have one official day out for activites. appointments, errands, shopping, etc.  By the end of that day, which is usually mid-afternoon, we are all ready to get home for some down time.

I think as long as there is enough down time, it should be fine. I actually prefer to do many outings as once and they come home rather than spread them all over and having to go out all week. You may want to try it for a month as see how it goes.

I agree, I'd rather fill up one busy day than have two or three occupied days.

You guys are great. I've been going back and forth because I'm a researcher that just needs to figure things out. (Just like it took me over a year to realize that scheduling activities in the AM meant that we got nothing else done that day.)

I like to be home all "school" day for the rest of the week, just so we can get things done. Guess I should probably put it all on paper and just see if it makes me cry a little or a lot on the inside.

We have done extras all in one day very often as my hubby is the only driver. What help was doing a lunch stopover after "part one" at usually a fast food place so that my boys could fill up their tummies, unwind a little and be prepared for "part two". It also allows them to tell us the funny stuff that happened in class in the morning without the traffic noise.

I have two kids-- 7.5 and 9...  I am wanting to start them on cello lessons and most of the lessons available are around the University down in town... but the time available is Thursday at 4:15. They are going to be taking classes on Thursday (2 science, 1 math) elsewhere from 9-1:45...

... would I be even crazier to schedule their French lessons in (we're getting a native speaker tutor) at the University while we're down there? I'd like to kill 27 birds with one stone, if possible...

Just my thoughts: your DC are young and you have lots of years ahead of you; no need to go overboard and overload yourselves by adding THREE things into your schedule all at once. Honestly, to me, spending almost 5 hours on math and science in the morning, then driving 40 minutes to spend another 1-2 hours on music and French, and then another 40 minutes to get home late and everyone starving for dinner, sounds like the fast track to burnout for you AND your DC, even if they were in high school. Trying to do that week after week with young elementary children...  :ohmy:

How about doing just ONE outside activity this year (say, the long morning of 3 classes), and see how that goes. If everyone has lots of energy and enjoyment of doing that, then next semester, or next year, try adding in a second thing. Build up slowly.

You may also find that the outside science and math classes may not "connect" for your family or do what you wanted them to do, and that would free you to stop that activity and replace with cello and French.

Or, if the music and French are more of a priority, then go with just those two afternoon activities to start with, since they'd both be at the same location, and skip the outside science and math classes. At this young age, it's still easy to introduce fun science and math supplements, games, activities, etc., without needing outside help -- even if you are not a math or science whiz yourself.

Just my 2 cents worth! BEST of luck, whatever you decide. Warmest regards, Lori D.

This is our 3rd or 4th (not sure if I count K) homeschooling. We're not doing too many activities-- they did science last year and loved it. They actually really enjoy being around other kids and doing activities/music/sports is how we make it happen. Trust me-- I'm always preaching to people about bouncing from one activity to another that makes them miserable-- that's why I am really thinking this through before I sign any checks. (But I understand where you're coming from-- I give the same advice to people when I see them going crazy!)

Foreign language HAS to happen this year for us. I've said it for years that when we got to this age, this is what we would need to do. I think, if we did not do it, it would be one of my biggest homeschooling regrets.

It would not work for my boys. Mind you being in classes from 9 to 1 would not work either. 

But you know your kids best. So think about them, and perhaps ask them what they would like.

This is us, we could do it, but the joy of it would quickly be lost. However, kids differ and families differ.

I don't know. Ds6 manages to go to school from 9 to 3 then gym at 4.15. However he does have trouble doing hockey at 3.45 after school on thursday (enough that I am glad it is finished for the year). But like another poster said if someone is sick everyone misses everything for the week.

I think it depends on you and your kids. My two sons who are 7.5 year olds would totally crash about half way through that kind of day and I would too really. But they like lots of play time and I need some down time so that's just us.

I had thought about trying to schedule swimming lessons, violin and piano lessons all on one day this year. I may still do it but I know that will be pushing it for us. The only saving grace would be that each son would have down time while the other one did his music lesson. I am still undecided.

Good luck with your decision. I hope it works out well for you.

Most kids who take music lessons do so after being in school all day. And they're in school M-F.

If you wait much longer for cello, the kids are going to be scrambling to catch up to where they need to be for youth orchestras in middle school, if that is a consideration.

I say go for it.

Our Tuesdays are a "full" day also. We have a quiet lunch at a park located between venues, and almost an hour of quiet time at a library later on, which helps balance the busyness. I find it better than packing up and heading out multiple times a week.

If you think your family can do it, and you want to try, I'd definitely suggest coming up with a good routine for the day.  Some posters have mentioned different components already:

-what you do during the morning lessons matters.  Are you in a stuffy little room being bored, or are you somewhere comfortable where you can recharge your battery (whether with or without other parents around)?

-planning a stop between the morning and afternoon activities would be helpful.  For my kids, we'd need to include some sort of exercise that didn't involve interaction.  Something like riding bikes or walking through a pretty park.  We'd also need some quiet time, like a library or something.  Will your kids need to interact with you during that time?  Will you have energy for that?  Or will they need to be in their own worlds, playing with something, drawing, or reading?

-having some sort of routine for a lunch that's just a little bit special would be nice.  Whether that's a stop at a restaurant, or including a cookie in their packed lunches, or something else.  Just something that makes the day special in some way.  "This is what we do on Tuesdays."

Lastly, for the car time that day, I'd suggest also having some things that make the trips more special.  Maybe it's an audiobook, maybe it's sticker books they only use on that day, or puzzle books, or whatever floats their boat.  Perhaps they pack their own bags that morning, including something to do in the car. 

If you've tried it and it turns out to just be too much, it'd be nice if there was a way to drop something.  Best of luck!

While they're in class, I'll be doing whatever the heck I want :hurray: -- a definite recharge day. My kids are currently in summer school/camp (well, camp at a school-- cooking, cake decorating, Lego, magic, etc.) classes from 8-2:30 every day. They love being at school and are super sad its almost over-- so they don't mind being gone. I honestly keep wating for my younger to tell me he wants to do public school, and I'm glad that he hasn't.

As for musicianmom-- that was what I was thinking. There comes a point in life where we just can't keep putting things off. There's always tons to do. Every year. Already, here, 9 is considered an "older" beginner for group lessons. If I can ever get my French tutor back online (where the heck did she go?), I was thinking they could have their meetings in (or at least near) a bakery/coffeeshop so they could have a fun treat for all the work.

You can always give it a try. Personally, I prefer to do all my driving all in one day if I have a chance. Would you go home between your morning classes or just continue right to cello? I'd maybe stop for a coffee break somewhere in the middle to regroup, if you can.

Two of my children wanted to take cello, but we had absolutely nowhere to go to do that within 2.5 hours. My kids would have loved that opportunity! I'd give it a try.

Hello everyone. Quick question for you guys. I have two kids-- 7.5 and 9. We live in the suburbs of a medium sized city. I am wanting to start them on cello lessons and most of the lessons available are around the University down in town.

There's a great program through our University's music department that is very reasonable in price. I want to sign my kids up-- but the time available is Thursday at 4:15. They are going to be taking classes on Thursday (2 science, 1 math) elsewhere from 9-1:45.

Would I be crazy to try to drag them down to the U after a day out at classes? One little issue-- our city does not have a highway system. It's about 30-40 minutes of street traffic (stop lights, etc) to get there. Also, would I be even crazier to schedule their French lessons in (we're getting a native speaker tutor) at the University while we're down there? I'd like to kill 27 birds with one stone, if possible.

Has anyone here tried to schedule in all the *extras* in on one day? Do you think its worth the time to just get it all out of the way once a week? Or am I just going to go crazy and end up banging my head against a stringed instrument from all the work?

Honestly?  If I were going to do that many classes (and you couldn't pay me enough to do so) I'd WANT them all on one day and Thursday would be my first choice pick.

Why?

I'd have Monday-Wednesday to just BE home and do school.

Thursday would be my run around day.

Friday would be my recovery day - moderate school, relaxed, and prep for the weekend.  Weekend to recover and back at it on Monday.