Menu

Wedding guest attire -- tux? Really?

TrixieB

Dh will be attending a relative's wedding this summer. He is not part of the wedding party, just a guest. One of his relatives just passed along a message that the male guests are supposed to wear tuxes. This is for a 4 PM ceremony at a country club oops thought it was a country club but it's a rented venue that handles all kinds of events.

Really? Guys wear tuxes to attend weddings these days? For just plain ol' weddings, not those of royalty or celebs or politicians?

I haven't been to one in ages, so am I just clueless about going-to-a-wedding attire these days?

if guests have tuxes, they can wear them. It is not required by correct etiquette to go rent one if he doesn't own one seeing as he is NOT part of the bridal party. a dark suit will do. if the bride has a conniption about it, well, I guess she really is a bridezilla. besides, it is very silly to wear a tux before 6pm as it is considered *evening* wear and shouldn't be worn in the afternoon. ;p.

I did attend a wedding where they were wearing tuxes in the afternoon - they did not require guests to wear them. I guess they didn't want the hassle of morning suits at the church, and then changing for the reception. it was a church wedding with a dinner and reception at the country club after. so it went well into the evening. dh jokes the length of the marriage is inversely proportional to the cost of the wedding. it was sad when the groom looked better, and happier, than the bride. at least they divorced before there were any kids.

17 years ago dh and I were invited to a wedding (dh was friends with the bride). She even called him and told him to rent a tux. He did it so as not to stress her out but he took the price of the tux rental out of our wedding gift to her. I was SUPPOSED to wear a black dress. I wore a navy blue dress as I did not own a black dress and was not going to buy one. The bride has not talked to me to this day, oh well (we were never friends).

Tuxes in the afternoon for anyone are absurd (IMO). We had a morning wedding and my husband wore a suit, not his tuxedo and not even his best suit as we thought it looked too dark and formal in the daylight hours.

That said, menswear at weddings was traditionally as formal as whatever the groom was wearing because there was so little variation in formalwear for men. It was black or white tie in the evening and a morning jacket usually with grey pants during the day. A suit can be substituted these days anytime of day but in previous generations among the affluent classes it was a pretty big social faux pas and back then they didn't need to specify the dress on the invite- it was widely known and assumed in the circles in which it was the norm. FWIW, I was aware of none of this BS until I married someone from a family much more affluent than my own. Lower income people traditionally wore their Sunday best for events like weddings rather than purchase or rent clothes they didn't usually wear. My family definitely fit in there. Any sort of a jacket at all is super dressy for most of my FOO. Given that I literally wore combat boots with my white wedding dress, I obviously can't really care what someone else decides to do/wear on their wedding day. When we renew our vows, I am wearing red converse.

If the invitation reads "black tie", then that would mean a tux. But I agree with the PP that 4 P.M. is still daytime and he should wear a suit (and you a tea-length or shorter dress).

Lucky me, I don't have to find an appropriate dress because the kids and I won't be going -- partly due to the cost of the additional airfare & hotel for all of us, partly because it's adults only so what to do with the kids, and partly because we already paid for one dd's summer camp a month before the wedding invitation arrived.

I guess I better hunt down that invitation...

Is this perhaps a rule of the country club where the reception is? Some country clubs have ridiculous rules on attire. I know ours does. You should see the ridiculous rules about attire just to play in the badminton rooms at our club.

Hmm, being entirely unfamiliar with country clubs, I never thought about that. It could be the situation.

in previous generations among the affluent classes it was a pretty big social faux pas and back then they didn't need to specify the dress on the invite- it was widely known and assumed in the circles in which it was the norm.

actually, they would specify "formal" or "informal" on invitations, being white tie and black tie respectively. (I confess, seeing a wing collar with black tie makes me want to run screaming from the room.) we're not dressing meant suits. it would still be permissable to wear a suit to such a function, but it would be assumed you were too poor to own a tux. there would never have been a tux in the afternoon. not of any kind.

I did attend a wedding where they were wearing tuxes in the afternoon - they did not require guests to wear them. I guess they didn't want the hassle of morning suits at the church, and then changing for the reception. it was a church wedding with a dinner and reception at the country club after. so it went well into the evening. dh jokes the length of the marriage is inversely proportional to the cost of the wedding. it was sad when the groom looked better, and happier, than the bride. at least they divorced before there were any kids.

Oh, then I'm in luck! Our wedding was very cheap. :p

actually, they would specify "formal" or "informal" on invitations, being white tie and black tie respectively. (I confess, seeing a wing collar with black tie makes me want to run screaming from the room.) we're not dressing meant suits. it would still be permissable to wear a suit to such a function, but it would be assumed you were too poor to own a tux. there would never have been a tux in the afternoon. not of any kind.

That great manners diva and humorist Miss Manners says that formal and informal were added to invites, then that eventually devolved into things like "black tie optional" and "cocktail attire". The formality of the occasion was assumed based on word of mouth, the location and size of the party. When people started asking, it was added to invites or so goes her funny little sketch on why people have confusing dress instructions on wedding invites. Oh course her funny sketches usually start further back that even her parents could have remembered. Makes me very glad to be a product of the end of the 20th century. We did handwritten invitations and did not specify the dress. Everyone showed up in suits/sport coats based on the early morning time.

Oh, then I'm in luck! Our wedding was very cheap. :p

Same. Approx $600ish (I don't quite remember) for a self catered sit down family style meal for about 50 people. I talked the garden club rental guy down to $100 and my dress was less than $50 off the clearance rack- I didn't even try the dress on before I bought it. We were doing it for my mom and her wish for pictures and we were paying ourselves since we preferred to put wedding money from his family towards more lasting things.

I photograph weddings every week (usually in the 40-100K range), and I can count on one hand the times I've seen guests in tuxes. Particularly at a country club (I'm assuming outdoors) and in the afternoon. I say wear a suit and I'm willing to bet most of the other men there will be doing the same. I don't think he will stand out for not wearing a tux.

It could be the country club. We had one where any kind of wedding reception required tuxes and formal gowns, which was ridiculous. A wedding before 6pm though shouldn't have tuxes except for the groom and groomsmen.

I have issues with people wear to weddings. Our niece got married the past weekend (we didn't attend because the airfare from Europe was too much), but I was appalled by the outfits I saw in the photos. Granted, it was at 1:30pm, but it was in a Catholic church, so people should have dressed a little more. There were guests in shorts and polo shirts and some even in jeans. It wasn't just one or two, it was several people. I know it was hot that day, but still, put on a pair of pants and a button up shirt or a dress that doesn't show the world all of your assets. Sheesh.

Unless it is "black tie required" in the invite or if the venue required it, I'd just wear a suit. Informal communications don't count IMHO.

Some years ago I went to a "black tie optional" wedding. It was a 4pm outdoor wedding in August in a humid climate.

No one but the wedding party wore tuxes. I was hugely pregnant and wore my best maternity dress and called it done. No way was I going to try to find a long or cocktail dress to wear at that point. The majority of the women there also wore just nice dresses. A few were a little fancier, but not many.

Is this perhaps a rule of the country club where the reception is? Some country clubs have ridiculous rules on attire. I know ours does. You should see the ridiculous rules about attire just to play in the badminton rooms at our club.

This is what I'm wondering. Dh had to take his tux with him for his niece's wedding. The ceremony was at 4 P.M. and he could wear his suit for that, but the reception began at 6 p.m. and on weekends at that club, formalwear only. His sister and her husband have been members for years and own a ton of clothing for this and thankfully, due to all of my years of performing formal/blacktie events, dh owns a tux. But their cousins and other brother, not exactly high in income, had to rent or stay home - they all stayed home. I was quite put out with his sister. They spent $30,000.00 + on the wedding, but wouldn't pay for the tuxes for cousins or uncle that the bride really wanted to have at the wedding. The bride only agreed to have the reception at the country club because her mother said she and hubby would pay for family members tuxes. Then, when it came down to it and they'd blown the $30,000.00 budget long before the wedding date, her mother renigged on her promise. GRRRRRR....

If the wedding is really important to the OP to attend, check out ebay. Dh's tux came from a tux shop that was listing used tuxes for sale. It was in mint condition, Pierre Cardin, and we paid $35.00 for it! I bought a brand new tux shirt on ebay for $10.00 and found tux shoes at a thrift store that looked like they'd never been worn - $2.99. It's a gorgeous black tux with vest in the classic, standard tux style so it doesn't "go out" of fashion. If you went that route, you could then list the whole ensemble on ebay again after the wedding.

I am no fan of having weddings at locations with dress codes like that. I mean, I'm no fan of the flip-flops with fraying cut-offs and t-shirts with cartoon characters or worse, offensive sayings on them (yep, I've seen that at church weddings), but still dictating guest wear is not appropriate and may keep a lot of people home.

Now, I do have a relative - a cousin's husband - who thinks he looks like a million bucks in a tux and he wears them all.the.time. So, if you invite him to a wedding, a funeral, or anywhere that many men would choose to wear a suit, he'll be there in his black tux for autumn/winter or his white tux for spring/summer. At his nephew's wedding, it was less formal and the groomsmen wore their vests but not tux coats - light tan was the color, very nice, clearly intended to be more relaxed...there is the uncle IN TAILS! Stuck out like a sore thumb. But, it's been this way for many years and we all just chuckle and move on. My cousin the groom's aunt, as per her usual, wore a very casual dress that only just looks better than a granny's house dress (she's had this particular one since the mid-80's), and birkenstocks. They looked like quite a pair together!

Faith

Maybe I am just in a snit today but people, take a pill. Some people want a certain type of party. This is their option. It is your option to choose to attend or not attend. I would hate to think a bunch of strangers were making bridezilla comments about me and judging me based on a snippet of conversation someone posted on the internet.

Look at the invite and see if it says Black Tie.

If no mention then a dark suit will suffice.

You could also inquire further about dress code rules at the country club.

There are many options here that do not include getting your knickers in a twist over a family member saying dh needs a tux.

Country clubs often require male guests to be in a jacket & tie, but a regular suit would meet that requirement.

Not all. There are definitely ones out there stricter than that. In our area, yes they are jacket and tie. But, in my sister in law's area, on the weekends from 4 p.m. to closing, many of them are tux only and evening gown or at the least a very elegant shorter cocktail gown for the women.

The dress code at my sil's country club is actually fairly uptight.

Faith

There were guests in shorts and polo shirts and some even in jeans. It wasn't just one or two, it was several people. I know it was hot that day, but still, put on a pair of pants and a button up shirt or a dress that doesn't show the world all of your assets. Sheesh.

Little boys can wear a dressy polo & pair of Bermudas on a hot day and still look appropriate. My DS was a preschooler when my cousin got married and as it was a hot day in August I didn't make him wear long pants or a long sleeve shirt. DH didn't attend, but if he had, he would've been in a suit.

If there is a preferred dress code, word of mouth is the polite way to spread it rather than printing something on the invitation. If someone else attending told you it was black tie, I would look into it. The country club may have rules the bride can do nothing about. If the bride and groom would simply prefer a black tie event, you are certainly within your rights to attend dressed as nicely as you are able. Just be aware that many guests will be dressed more formally (probably).

Also a 4:00 wedding can easily mean a 6:00 or later reception. It seems silly to wear "dinner clothes" to the afternoon ceremony but, I suppose, in this day and age it is silly to assume that guests will change between the two events.

I've always figured that if it is not mentioned on the invite anywhere that your "best church clothes" will work for a wedding during the day and semi-formal/cocktail attire at night.

A 4:00pm wedding with an evening reception is iffy. In the winter, it's dark so early, I think the cocktail attire is probably more appropriate, but in the summer - it's light and hot for a long time. Dark clothes seem.... blech.

Light-colored cocktail clothes, I suppose....

Little boys can wear a dressy polo & pair of Bermudas on a hot day and still look appropriate. My DS was a preschooler when my cousin got married and as it was a hot day in August I didn't make him wear long pants or a long sleeve shirt. DH didn't attend, but if he had, he would've been in a suit.

Yes, I get that, but I'm talking grown ups that were at the wedding. One of the guys had on shorts a polo shirt and flip flops. My mother would have DIED.

We're going to a wedding this summer, too. At the bottom of the reception card it reads: Formal Attire. No room for error there, I'd say. Well, we were talking about the wedding with the groom's parents, with whom we are very good friends, and my husband mentioned the dress requirement. They just chuckled and said that the kids didn't understand and it was really just "dress nice."

In this case, the bride's parents are from another country and we wondered if there was a different cultural understanding of "formal attire."

Actually, black tie is semi-formal evening attire (vs morning coat for day and white tie for evening). Just saying.

I'd wait for the invitation and then start calling relatives. You probably won't be the only people wondering about clothing requirements/mandates. If every.single.relative you call is getting gussied up, you might want to rent something, but my guess is that there could be a groundswell of 'no black tie.'

I tend to agree with other posters that bridal couple may just be misinformed, not just about what to wear when, but also about forcing people into very specific outfits in this day and age.

ETA Oh, I see that this is the SOUTH. I am from the north, so my opinion is probably not pertinent.

for our wedding we told everyone to wear beach or Hawaiian clothes. So the men wore Hawaiian shirts and the women mostly wore beachy type longish dresses. I wore a ankle length white dress with rose colored flowers all over it, dh wore a blue Hawaiian shirt and off white pants. our reception was in a beach house with decks right over the ocean.

for our wedding we told everyone to wear beach or Hawaiian clothes. So the men wore Hawaiian shirts and the women mostly wore beachy type longish dresses. I wore a ankle length white dress with rose colored flowers all over it, dh wore a blue Hawaiian shirt and off white pants. our reception was in a beach house with decks right over the ocean.

That sounds like my dream wedding!

Having not yet mentally recovered from being the mother of the bride, my new favorite wedding is the one I don't have to plan nor attend. I think we should ban the modern American wedding! What should happen is the family takes up a collection and gives the funds to the bride and groom who are then required by law to find a beach as far away as that money will allow and get married there with the whole thing being broadcast by SKYPE!

I seriously need a vacation.

Faith

Not all. There are definitely ones out there stricter than that. In our area, yes they are jacket and tie. But, in my sister in law's area, on the weekends from 4 p.m. to closing, many of them are tux only and evening gown or at the least a very elegant shorter cocktail gown for the women.

The dress code at my sil's country club is actually fairly uptight.

Faith

Is she in the South? I've never encountered that strict a policy, but I've only ever been a guest at country clubs in New England & California.

Is she in the South? I've never encountered that strict a policy, but I've only ever been a guest at country clubs in New England & California.

Yes, she's in the south. Oh, and you don't want to know what the dues are! Preposterous is a word that comes to mind, more than twice what relatives are paying in the Detroit area or other relatives in Baltimore. Maybe they are comparable to other places, but I nearly dropped my teeth when she told me and frankly, I was expecting a boatload of money to begin with so being shocked is sort of surprising.

In her case, they got to use the club for free because she was the President of the club's women's social activism committee. (Had to pay for food and waitstaff, just free use of the facility, linens, and china/glassware)

Faith

Semi-formal attire (black tux and cocktail dresses) are normally for evening weddings (based on the start, not end time), typically 5-6pm or later. Same with formal attire (white tux, full length). I've only been to one wedding where the groom and groomsmen were not wearing tuxes, regardless of the time of the wedding. I've seen weddings getting less and less formal but it seems like over the past couple of years, dressier is becoming typical again. I love semi-formal, can't stand formal but it's personal (I look terrible in long dresses).

Do look at the actual invite. If it's not clear, ask the bride or groom. I would not want my dh to be the only one not in a tux. A simple one can be rented cheaply (around $100 here, for tux/shirt/shoes).

Do look at the actual invite. If it's not clear, ask the bride or groom. I would not want my dh to be the only one not in a tux. A simple one can be rented cheaply (around $100 here, for tux/shirt/shoes).

Gosh, $100 for renting seems like a lot to me (not that I am n the habit of renting this stuff).

Look what I found at Brooks Brothers.

Jacket on sale for $383

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Ready-Made-Regent-Fit-Tuxedo-Jacket/MZ00011,default,pd.html?dwvar_MZ00011_Color=BLCK&contentpos=21&cgid=0235

trousers on sale for $140

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Ready-Made-Regent-Fit-Pleat-Front-Tuxedo-Trousers/MZ00012,default,pd.html?dwvar_MZ00012_Color=BLCK&contentpos=55&cgid=0235

Obviously you'd need shirt, tie, etc, but buying seems like a good deal.

$120.00 to rent from the tux shop here. That includes shoes. It was upwards of $250.00 in the city for the "premium" tuxes.

By the way, don't rent shoes, buy shoes. The rental shoes have less arch support than a piece of thing cardboard taped to the bottom of your foot. I was appalled at the quality. Just invest in decent shoes and hope to have a chance to use them several times.

Faith

Maybe I am just in a snit today but people, take a pill. Some people want a certain type of party. This is their option. It is your option to choose to attend or not attend. I would hate to think a bunch of strangers were making bridezilla comments about me and judging me based on a snippet of conversation someone posted on the internet.

Look at the invite and see if it says Black Tie.

If no mention then a dark suit will suffice.

You could also inquire further about dress code rules at the country club.

There are many options here that do not include getting your knickers in a twist over a family member saying dh needs a tux.

:lol:

Yeah! What Kathy said.

I think a tuxedo only wedding sounds lovely if that is what the couple wants.

And another thing...DH and I had a reception...that cost money! And we're still married! 20-plus years later! Shocking!

Gosh, $100 for renting seems like a lot to me (not that I am n the habit of renting this stuff).

Look what I found at Brooks Brothers.

Jacket on sale for $383

http://www.brooksbro...os=21&cgid=0235

trousers on sale for $140

http://www.brooksbro...os=55&cgid=0235

Obviously you'd need shirt, tie, etc, but buying seems like a good deal.

If one is stable in their size, and will wear it often, buying might makes sense. The rental also includes the cummerbund and matching bowtie. For proms, we rent on the low end... but will rent nicer for the occassional event that requires it.

I have been to weddings where all the male guests wore tuxes. Just last summer we attended my IL's 40th wedding anniversary party and it was a black tie affair. My boys (then 7& 12) wore black pants, white button down shirts and black bow ties. They looked like little waiters, but they had fun.

$120.00 to rent from the tux shop here. That includes shoes. It was upwards of $250.00 in the city for the "premium" tuxes.

By the way, don't rent shoes, buy shoes. The rental shoes have less arch support than a piece of thing cardboard taped to the bottom of your foot. I was appalled at the quality. Just invest in decent shoes and hope to have a chance to use them several times.

Faith

I agree on the shoes....... I mentioned them because they are included in the price..... Everywhere I've ever rented from, shoes are not an extra cost. Dh, however, has his own. The boys are still rough on dress shoes, so they use the rentals...........