Menu

OMG Finally...(Settlers of Catan)

Halcyon

I bought myself SoC for Christmas last year. We tried to set it up, but I was rushed, or irritated or something so I put it aside. Well, DS decided we just NEED to learn how to set it up, so he watched through some youtube videos, taught himself, and then taught the rest of the family.

WE LOVE IT! It is SO fun! I am already considering the expansion packs! Can't believe we waited this long to play it....lol

(I got this game upon recommendations here on the board, so I just want to say thank you for introducing us to a GREAT game. And I LOVE that it doesn't go on forever, so we can play in one evening, put it away, and then set it up again the next day!)

Hmm. This was a Christmas gift that has been sitting on our shelves, yet unused. We play a lot of games on a pretty frequent basis, but my rushed mind is always more into playing what we already know. Sounds like just the push I need to break out of our norm and give this game a go :)

Sad to say that it's actually likely to happen now that I know I can watch YouTube vidoes on how to play, rather than figuring it out on the fly during a game LOL.

I'm also curious ... what is there NOT a YouTube video for??

Hmm. This was a Christmas gift that has been sitting on our shelves, yet unused. We play a lot of games on a pretty frequent basis, but my rushed mind is always more into playing what we already know. Sounds like just the push I need to break out of our norm and give this game a go :)

Sad to say that it's actually likely to happen now that I know I can watch YouTube vidoes on how to play, rather than figuring it out on the fly during a game LOL.

Wil Wheaton hosts a show in which they explain how to play certain games, usually someone who worked on the game is there as well as/or nerd celebrities. :) The link I posted is the Settlers of Catan episode.

I love that game and can't wait for my littles to get into playing it. Dh, teen and I have played it out over the years. But I was so addicted that at one point I was planning to make a larger scale polymer clay playing board and pieces. I still sometimes wish I had. We've never tried an expansion pack, maybe we should.

OK, question for everyone. Does having the expansion pack that allows more players to play the basic game (I think it adds 2 players?) make the game MORE or less fun? We'd love to have more people play, but does it somehow change the gameplay so that it's harder to win or anything like that?

Oh, do it! We had some experienced players teach us, so the learning curve was much smaller, but it's so worth spending the time to it figure out. And once you know how to play, you're going to look at it and be like, "Why did that seem so complicated?!"

You'll be glad you learned, truly.

We play with competitive friends, but it's not so competitive that we don't all laugh our butts off the whole night. The friendly competition makes it more fun.

Please send your ds over here, Halcyon! I need someone to teach me! We got the game 2 Christmases ago, and like you, I got frustrated w/it and put it aside. And that made me even more frustrated!

Yep. Two Christmases ago for us, too. Dh and dd started to understand and play, had a distraction, and nothing has happened since.

*Why* didn't we ever think of looking at Youtube?!

OK, question for everyone. Does having the expansion pack that allows more players to play the basic game (I think it adds 2 players?) make the game MORE or less fun? We'd love to have more people play, but does it somehow change the gameplay so that it's harder to win or anything like that?

We have the expansion packs so we can play 6 players. The board is bigger, but for us it ends up crowded and stressful. We always play the bigger board when we just have 4 players. Often if the kiddoes are all here and a Catan night breaks out, we will play partners. So 8 players, but only 4 buildings are happening.

The more player expansion pack is nice. It does change the game a bit, but in a good way. There are often a lot of good places on the board when it is so big.

As far as other expansion packs go, Cities and Knights is a nice one. It takes a lot more thinking.

Unfortunately, I married a man who does not like Settlers of Catan. You know how they tell you not to plan on changing your man...? Well, I should have known better. I really thought that once he saw the brilliance of it and actually played it more he'd like it. Bah. So I have Settlers and many lovely expansions that sit up in our closet waiting for my kids to age and hopefully play with me. :)

We bought it used, tried to play it, and found it too complicated. I'm sure it isn't, but it was quite long and boring trying to read the directions with every step or turn. It would be so much easier to learn if playing with someone who knew the game. I'm sure the show would make it easier. I'm going to see if my big kids want to watch it.

Thanks for posting. It never occurred to me to check out a game on Youtube. I could see it helping to determine if you want to buy a game as well.

For those with big families (someone's siggy had quite a list), or if you want to play with another family, we found a way to play that is a lot of fun. We have five in our immediate family so we've always played with the 6 person expansion set, but when we get together with extended family, we put together two sets with two expansions, and we play mega games. That way it is big enough that a lot of building can go on and it isn't too crowded to be fun. We marked one of our sets of buildings so that we have enough for distinguishing twelve unique players, although we usually only have 9. We usually also jump start the game by collecting one round of all the resources that our pieces touch, so that helps it get moving fairly quickly. We had some uproarious games doing this! : )

Personally, we found that the expansion pack did NOT help. The game did not seem as well balanced with more than 4 players. You were much more likely to experience resource shortages and be "out" of the game before it really started.

I'll be the dissenter here and say we like the expansion pack that allows two more players. The game is essentially the same except that you can build in between turns. Otherwise, you would get too many cards by the time your turns comes around again. The game board becomes bigger with the expansion and doesn't feel crowded to me. I feel that playing with four players on the regular board feels crowded. The game feels less crowded to me at three players with the regular set and five players with the expansion. Of course, playing on a crowded board causes one to use different strategies, so that is part of the fun. It's also great fun to include more people.

If you're looking for instruction on a particular game (or reviews, a place to ask questions, etc.) boardgamegeek.com has a database of board games and one of the subcategories under each game contains links to play and review videos for that game.

I'm not a Catan fan, but I didn't play it until a few years after we started the board game hobby. There are so many other games that are more fun and have less luck (resource roll in Catan drives me nuts but the boys like it).

...but when we get together with extended family, we put together two sets with two expansions, and we play mega games. That way it is big enough that a lot of building can go on and it isn't too crowded to be fun.

Oh gosh, we already have a battle for the longest road EVERY single game! LOL I can't imagine how intense it would get with a huge board! hehe