Menu

Baseball woes :( Please help advise.....

Juniper

Update at post 29. :)

The background: My twins played competitive baseball for 3 years in early elementary school. We took a year off with moving, moved to a small and enrolled them in Little League. It is a 5th and 6th grade team.

At the beginning of the first practice I heard the coach say, "Well, I already know where everyone is going to play." Ummmmm....how is that when we haven't even had practice yet? Then I overheard him talking with some other dads about how small my twins were. ....Thanks for the chance guys. :(

Practices were a joke. He put his starting players in their positions and everyone else had to run bases (no coaching on how to actually run bases, he was just focused on his chosen infield.)

My boys have been on well coached teams. They have been selected for playoff teams. I didn't go into all of that with the coach, but I did tell him they had played before and might be a little rusty from a year off. It didn't matter they were written off from the start.

My boys asked me what to do. Why did their coach not like them? I encouraged them to advocate for themselves. Ask their coach to teach them certain things. Show interest in some different positions. (They had played first and short stop, but I could tell that wasn't going to happen) They got nothing. This man has made no effort to actually coach or develop them.

Games started and he plays his chosen group every game every inning. The rest have to rotate 2.5 innings each in the outfield.

Their team IS undefeated, but it isn't a skill thing. It is simply that the rest of the teams are actually playing all their players and trying to bring up the overall skill of their teams, not just a chosen group.

Finally, my dh decided it was time to ascertain the coaches approach, goals and vision for his team. My dh has coached baseball at a higher level than this, but he wanted to give the guy a chance to explain what he was doing. Coach said: No he wasn't competitive, but he wasn't going to change a thing. He said our boys didn't have the skill to play anymore than they were. Dh asked: How are they going to develop the skill if they get hardly any playing time. Coach: No answer.

He yells at my boys when they make what he considers mistakes, which are not really mistakes. He really has a rudimentary understanding of the game and no understanding of technique. He is completely messing up the 3 years of great coaching the boys have had. They are becoming very anxious on the field and this then becomes a self fulfilling system where they are making mistakes. The boys have been yelled at by coaches, but this is different. This isn't to build them up. He shames them and sets them up to fail, by not coaching in the first place.

He made it pretty clear that he would have rather not had to deal with them on his team at all.

But, with his undefeated team record and "buddy" relationship with the "in" part of the team....combined with small town politics. No one, is going to address this.

What we have done. Well, we tried having the boys advocate for themselves. Husband has tried talking to him one coach to another. We have tried to switch them to another villages team, but there was no room. We have put a call into the league director, but I have been warned that she is a long time local and I probably will get no where with her.

The boys are really torn. They love baseball, but it is starting to sour for them. One wants to be done. The other wants to try one more game.

I do not know what to do. If we pull them from the team we are basically two seasons behind in actually play (they will be one a different team next year). If we keep them we risk some really confused and potentially do damage to their self image and confidence.

We are right on the cusp of when I wouldn't intervene as a parent, but not quite there. They are 5th graders and this is Little League! Ugh!!!!

Please help! We are a sports family, but this is uncharted territory for me.

I should add that my boys have not missed a practice or a game, but players who miss from the inner circle play no matter what. MY husband brought this up to the coach. He acknowledged it was true, but that was how it would remain. :(

Why would you keep them on this team with this coach?

Right now there are NO other options. It is this team or NO team. They love the sport, but are very aware that what is happening is wrong. I cannot decide what is the greater wrong. Keeping them in a rough, unfair situation while supporting them as individuals and reassure them that these are their coaches issues.....or calling this season another wash and setting them further behind next year plus ending on a bad note this year.

Let them finish, with the understanding that the idiot isn't going to change anything. Have your dh coach them at home. I would also have them at practice early, and have them working when the coach shows up. Maybe if he sees what they are actually capable of, he might change. Highly doubtful, but maybe. When is your season over? I did tell my ds that he could quit a team when he had a coach like that. He opted to stay (this was 8 and 9 year olds. :( ) I would make sure my kids played elsewhere next year. Sorry they are going through this..I hate coaches like that.

Reasons like this is why we don't do any sports with our town. Is there a larger town near you that you can join next year? I find the politics and general coach nastiness to be a lot less.

Yes, and no. Next year they will be on the next villages over team, plus their Dad will either coach or assist. It sounds like they have a good coach in place over there, but dh is not going to chance it. I could look into Traverse City teams, but that is pretty far. Unfortunately, we are the newbies and I am still learning the area. :(

It is funny. I guess I was really naive about the small town crap. I think I have found one thing I miss about living in a metroplex! :)

Sorry, but dh and I have seen this time and again. The coach's goal is to go undefeated for his ego at the expense of the other players. Because you live in such a small area, your choices are limited. I would suggest that you look for a league other than Little League to join because it allows you the freedom to escape the politics. Going to the board, the league director, or Little League itself will only have negative consequences for your sons. FWIW: Dh's philosophy is to have equal playing time for all players. He feels it is his responsibility to develop the players for the high school level. That's not possible when a player sits on a bench.

Let them finish, with the understanding that the idiot isn't going to change anything. Have your dh coach them at home. I would also have them at practice early, and have them working when the coach shows up. Maybe if he sees what they are actually capable of, he might change. Highly doubtful, but maybe. When is your season over? I did tell my ds that he could quit a team when he had a coach like that. He opted to stay (this was 8 and 9 year olds. :( ) I would make sure my kids played elsewhere next year. Sorry they are going through this..I hate coaches like that.

We are already doing this. They only practice right before games and coach has totally stopped practicing with the team at all. Last game we was raking the infield until game time. Dh was furious!

Your son was okay? I know that sounds tremulous, but I am a bit emotionally wrung out and want to make sure it is going to be okay. :) My mother said, "One coach, in one season is not going to be able to undo all that you and dh do as parents." I just want to make sure.

Sorry, but dh and I have seen this time and again. The coach's goal is to go undefeated for his ego at the expense of the other players. Because you live in such a small area, your choices are limited. I would suggest that you look for a league other than Little League to join because it allows you the freedom to escape the politics. Going to the board, the league director, or Little League itself will only have negative consequences for your sons. FWIW: Dh's philosophy is to have equal playing time for all players. He feels it is his responsibility to develop the players for the high school level. That's not possible when a player sits on a bench.

That is my dh approach is well. This is so frustrating. :(

name='Juniper' timestamp='1370881580' post='5013533']

We are already doing this. They only practice right before games and coach has totally stopped practicing with the team at all. Last game we was raking the infield until game time. Dh was furious!

Your son was okay? I know that sounds tremulous, but I am a bit emotionally wrung out and want to make sure it is going to be okay. :) My mother said, "One coach, in one season is not going to be able to undo all that you and dh do as parents." I just want to make sure.

Yeah, he was okay. Unfortunately he wasn't the the last person of authority to act that way. Ds just shrugged it off, as he wasn't the only kid treated badly. He played the next fall for a coach that said he wouldn't be that way, but was. However, he wasn't ugly about it, and one of the asst. coaches played ds a lot more when head coach wasn't around. That was the end of baseball for us though. It just wasn't fun anymore. My other suggestion would be to have your dh coach if at all possible. Mine did for about 2 years prior to the jerk. I seriously hate little league. [/b]

Sounds like it's time for your dh to step into the coaching arena and give your dss and some others a better opportunity. Undoubtedly there are other families feeling neglected.

ETA - it's too late to do that this season, but aim for next and you can schedule in some unofficial off-season get togethers for prospective members to help build friendships.

I would have the boys stick it out. It horribly unfair but happens all over, unfortunately.

One of the fun things my DH would do after a game for any of the boys who wanted was to play home run derby. He'd serve up meatballs to them just so they could smack the heck out of the ball. It is still one of the boys' favorite memories of baseball.

Maybe doing something like that would take the sting out of not playing.

I'm really sorry. It is a tough lesson to learn. But I tend to agree with your mom. If your kids are resilient, this won't stick with them.

What do the other parents say, who aren't in the inner circle? Have you spoken to them?

I have never had a child who played baseball, I never played, and I have seen on other threads that the culture often does not make much sense to me, so take what I have to say with many grains of salt, but . . .

If my children were getting little to no benefit out of playing on a team, and it was possibly destroying their confidence and love of playing the game, I would pull them from the team. Don't kids ever play anymore without it being an organized team? Could your dh take them to the park and work on building their skills in preparation for next year? Could they invite other friends to play a game together?

What state are you in? I ask because there are independent tournament or travel teams all over the place around here (Atlanta), and they're kind of hard to find until you are plugged in. They are not part of the local Little League or Pony League or whatever other alternatives there are to formal leagues. Some are still daddy-coached, but some are run by professional coaches. They cost more, and their try-outs are competitive (some much more so than others), but some are more focused on skill development and growth than most of the Little League teams we have been involved with.

Do you have a baseball store near you? That might be a good place to ask about tournament or travel teams. You also can Google local tournaments, see who is entered and try to track down the team or coach that way.

I don't know what to do about this team, but perhaps if you look around enough, there are alternatives in the local baseball underground.

Alright, here is the plan. The only reason dh didn't volunteer to coach in the first place was because he was working a project down state at the time. He offered to help with any weekend practices, but that never developed. So, we are now going to approach this season as extended practice with Dad. We will in essence be using what play time they get as a chance to utilize the field. Dh will go to all of their games (we have another younger child playing, but if the games overlap I will go to his) so that if the coach continues to yell at them for doing something wrong, when they aren't, he will be right there to reassure his kids. When they have to sit out for half the game, they will go sit with dh so he can coach them on game theory and strategy. During the week they will continue to work with their dad at home.

The boys understand that things won't change with their coach. They also know that they will have their Dad and he will sign up to coach them next year as well. Sound alright? :)

Alright, here is the plan. The only reason dh didn't volunteer to coach in the first place was because he was working a project down state at the time. He offered to help with any weekend practices, but that never developed. So, we are now going to approach this season as extended practice with Dad. We will in essence be using what play time they get as a chance to utilize the field. Dh will go to all of their games (we have another younger child playing, but if the games overlap I will go to his) so that if the coach continues to yell at them for doing something wrong, when they aren't, he will be right there to reassure his kids. When they have to sit out for half the game, they will go sit with dh so he can coach them on game theory and strategy. During the week they will continue to work with their dad at home.

The boys understand that things won't change with their coach. They also know that they will have their Dad and he will sign up to coach them next year as well. Sound alright? :)

Sounds like a good plan and a good dad.

It sounds awesome!

(((Hugs)))

My brother has two boys who both played Lttle League and club (travel) baseball. My brother told me to encourage DH to sign up to be an assistant coach when my oldest started playing baseball last year because the politics of who plays infield and bats first start at an early age in many leagues. My brother's advice was you can't beat them, so join them if you want your kid to get playing time.

I don't think it is fair, but the head coach who assigns the positions always starts his son and the assistant coach's kids in the infield. He does rotate the kids but the coach's kids get preferential treatment.

I'm on our Little League's board and my dh has coached LL for 4 yrs (8 seasons) and coaches at a local high school. Don't write off going to the board. Definitely speak up if there is an issue. Have facts too. Keep track of all the kids' playing time. Little League only guarantees 6 outs and one at bat per game. For a 6 inning game, that is only 33% of the time. Our league president makes it a personal mission to have every kid play at minimum 50% of the time. If the coach is giving kids their minimum playtime then the board can't do anything but, in our league, that coach probably wouldn't be allowed back for the next season.

Spring is also the season where the older kids play more because they will be moving up and it is much more competitive. The fall season is more instructional where players get rotated much more often and get a chance to play different positions.

If it was me, I wouldn't pull my boys off the team. My younger boy is very small for his age too. He played outfield a lot this year (and his dad was the head coach!). Outfield isn't bad. It takes all nine players to make a team. My dh always says that no kid that makes himself invaluable will sit. That is great your dh is working with your boys. Sometimes things aren't fair and it is crazy to pigeon-hole kids this young but that can be a character building lesson too. My boys have even learned things from bad coaches they have had. Sounds like you are doing right by your boys.

ETA: I wouldn't let my boy leave the dugout during the game, even if it is to sit with dad. That would be really frowned upon here. LL rules are that parents aren't even supposed to talk to their kids in the dugout during the game, although we don't enforce that except during All-Star tournaments. Leaving the dugout during a game could be sending a negative message to the coach and the other boys on the team.

I think you have the best plan going forward. It is frustrating when teams are coached by parents who are not in it for the whole team...they are just there to make his kid (and their friends) the star.

We had this issue a couple of years ago with our middle DD and basketball. Dh had coached her for years, and really knows the game, but for a couple of reasons we decided he would back away from coaching. That first year...her coach was awful! Everything revolved around his daughter. There was no developing the other players on the team. Each practice was setting up new ways for to get the ball to his daughter. There was no passing...unless it was to get her the ball. It was maddening!

The next year, we requested a specific coach that we had watched through the season. He was an older gentleman who had no kids on the team...so he had no reason to be partial. His team did not win the most games...but we could see that he spent time *teaching the fundamentals of the game. HE was who we wanted for our DD's coach.

That year, she was given the opportunity to be the player that we knew she was. It was so exciting to see her play--and enjoy the game again. That year we were approached by two different trainers offering to train her, and three club teams wanting her to play for them.

During one game, her former coach was sitting in the stands watching the game...and did not realize we were behind them. He asked his wife (in shock) if that was Riley. When she said yes, he said he had no ideal she could play like that. It was all I could do to bite my tongue! Riley's team went on to beat their team in the tournament.

There are good coaches out there...but sometimes the best coach ends up having to be you (DH.)

I'm on our Little League's board and my dh has coached LL for 4 yrs (8 seasons) and coaches at a local high school. Don't write off going to the board. Definitely speak up if there is an issue. Have facts too. Keep track of all the kids' playing time. Little League only guarantees 6 outs and one at bat per game. For a 6 inning game, that is only 33% of the time. Our league president makes it a personal mission to have every kid play at minimum 50% of the time. If the coach is giving kids their minimum playtime then the board can't do anything but, in our league, that coach probably wouldn't be allowed back for the next season.

Spring is also the season where the older kids play more because they will be moving up and it is much more competitive. The fall season is more instructional where players get rotated much more often and get a chance to play different positions.

If it was me, I wouldn't pull my boys off the team. My younger boy is very small for his age too. He played outfield a lot this year (and his dad was the head coach!). Outfield isn't bad. It takes all nine players to make a team. My dh always says that no kid that makes himself invaluable will sit. That is great your dh is working with your boys. Sometimes things aren't fair and it is crazy to pigeon-hole kids this young but that can be a character building lesson too. My boys have even learned things from bad coaches they have had. Sounds like you are doing right by your boys.

ETA: I wouldn't let my boy leave the dugout during the game, even if it is to sit with dad. That would be really frowned upon here. LL rules are that parents aren't even supposed to talk to their kids in the dugout during the game, although we don't enforce that except during All-Star tournaments. Leaving the dugout during a game could be sending a negative message to the coach and the other boys on the team.

Under normal circs I would totally agree about the leaving the dugout thing. When they played Select we would have never considered it. But, it is the confusion and long bouts of being alone in the dugout that are causing us to question this. Until this point, I have kept sending them back to the dugout, but after dh spoke with the coach we are no longer convinced that is the best approach for "our" kids right now. There are other things I have not gone in to. The coach encouraging the boys to do some very petty chanting against the opposing teams pitcher and such.

Part of me doubts dh will let them come out to him, but he will probably stand at the dugout and talk with them. Things are pretty lax and chaotic here. :(

My boys actually do like playing in the outfield. It was ever used a punishment in Select, here it is a shame thing. But again this is just different, When they were on Select they were coached how to throw the ball in such way as to get enough momentum to get it from the boundary of the outfield to the opposite bases infield. It involved some sort of crow hop (something they cannot do in pitching, but is great for small kids in the outfield). This coach has FREAKED and berated them for doing this...even when they get the ball where it needs to go. There have been a few other things that he has freaked over as well, that they were taught...while at the same time allowing his infield kids to throw from the ear and just have horrible technique in general. At this point we are trying to salvage and recoup the good coaching they have had. Seriously, they look like the Bad News Bears out there, but I have the impression that my twins have taken on the scape goat role. Again, this is way outside the norm for us. Dh has coached at the Select and Competitive level for both Baseball and Soccer.

Yes, and no. Next year they will be on the next villages over team, plus their Dad will either coach or assist. It sounds like they have a good coach in place over there, but dh is not going to chance it. I could look into Traverse City teams, but that is pretty far. Unfortunately, we are the newbies and I am still learning the area. :(

It is funny. I guess I was really naive about the small town crap. I think I have found one thing I miss about living in a metroplex! :)

I have always lived in the city or the suburbs, except, from 6th-12th grades when we lived in a very small town in the mountains of Georgia. It was like Mayberry, where you could leave your keys in the car overnight and not worry. "The perfect place to raise your kids."

I could not leave that place fast enough! It was like going back to the dark ages... And I hate going back just to visit.

I really try to tell people about this stuff when they talk about moving to rural areas "for a better place to raise their kids". Small towns are not all that. It's not like you see in the movies, UNLESS, you and/or your family has lived there for ages and belong to that good ole' boy system- then you're golden.

When I think about moving back to such a small town, it makes me shudder. It would be my last choice for a place to raise my kids.

Things probably won't change. And it won't be just baseball, expect most things to be that way. They can quit, you can drive farther out and try to get on better teams, or you can get the heck outta dodge and move back to the suburbs ;) But I'm also a teensy bit biased ;)

You are right in what you expect of a coach...he is just a bad egg. You'll run into those sometimes, and you can work with your boys on how to just put up with it and deal. It will go by quickly and next year will be better. Our small town coach rotated players around until age 9, then he still rotated infield vs outfield so that everyone got at least 1-2 innings in the infield. Once they hit majors (13/14) they each had 2 preferred positions and outfielder got chances to come in sometimes. It is great to have talented outfielders, though, who are fast and can catch pop flies, so I hope they get to show off a little there! sounds like you have a good plan going!

You are right in what you expect of a coach...he is just a bad egg. You'll run into those sometimes, and you can work with your boys on how to just put up with it and deal. It will go by quickly and next year will be better. Our small town coach rotated players around until age 9, then he still rotated infield vs outfield so that everyone got at least 1-2 innings in the infield. Once they hit majors (13/14) they each had 2 preferred positions and outfielder got chances to come in sometimes. It is great to have talented outfielders, though, who are fast and can catch pop flies, so I hope they get to show off a little there! sounds like you have a good plan going!

I had this happen to us, only with my daughter and her softball team. It is amazing how much small town politics dictate what happens on these teams.

The final straw was the day we drove 45 minutes to a game on a 100 degree day and she played one inning in the outfield. I confronted the coach after the game and asked why she wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t being played. He told me she was one of the worst players on the team (not true), so then I said if she was one of the worst players on the team how was she supposed to get any better if he never even included her in practice! Ugh. So annoying. My daughter wanted to quit. I knew how much she loved softball and how much her wanting to quit had to do with the bad coach. I told her she could quit, but not until she was on top. If she quit when she was performing poorly she would never know if she really enjoyed the sport. If she improved and was hitting and fielding on a regular basis and then wanted to quit, I would support her decision.

We did two things:

One, we decided to take her out to the fields on our own. We practiced with her for hours. We spent hours in the cages on batting. It is all about the batting. The hitters ALWAYS play. We made sure her skills got a lot better.

Two, I sat on the bleachers during every single practice. I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t say anything, I just made my presence known so that the coach knew I was watching. I would be there when he showed up late with his favorite players and his Coolata from Dunkin Donuts . I would be there when he took cellphone calls for 20 minutes. When he really annoyed me I would meander over from the bleachers and lean against the fence, just to be more in his space. I never said anything, I was just there to let him know I was watching his charade. He eventually started practicing her more.

This coach always wanted my daughter to bunt. He decided this after seeing her once in the cages. Every time she got up he would signal her to bunt. Once her batting abilities got better, with all the practice done on her own time, I told her to swing away. I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t care how much he signaled her to bunt, she was to swing for the fences. (As an aside, I would usually NEVER go against a coach and tell my daughter to do opposite of what he was saying, but when you are dealing with ignorant people you have to make exceptions.)

Once her batting average went up he started playing her more. His ego dictated that he put her in because he wanted to win.

As soon as she was old enough we got her off town teams and onto a club team, and she has been playing infield ever since. When she was a high school freshman she tried out for the team and made varsity. Meanwhile her town coach was arrested for soliciting sex online, but that is another story :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I would give a little bit of an update.

The twins are doing great being coached by their father on the side. The last three games have been interesting to say the least. The first after dh spoke with the coach, the coach played the twins the entire game. Interestingly enough, the twins played amazingly well and both hit well and got in about 3-5 runs each. Another parent complained that the twins got to play the whole game and his son had to sit out 1 inning as a result. So the next game, he only played them a half game again. One twin went up to bat with bases loaded and got everyone home and himself to third. The other got in 1 runner. That was just with being up to bat one time each.

Tonights game, twin A hit a home run as a last batter and recieved the game ball. He was also played the whole game. Twin B, had a rough time up to bat and was only played half the game. Tomorrow we have another game and after that only 4 more.

I will be so glad when this season is over!!!!!! I am impressed with how well the boys are adapting to only being coached on the side. I can see the coaching gleam sparking in dh's eye again, so I know he is excited to jump in next season.

We are running into the opposite problem with my youngest son. His coach was able to see from the begininng that he had skill. The first few games he rotated all the youngsters through the field positions, but starting a couple games ago he has placed my youngest as the pitcher. He has pitched every inning of every game since and asked me tonight if I could talk to his coach about allowing him to play another position. Tonight he came home and just crashed on the couch totally exhausted and he has another game tomorrow night. I am hoping his coach will honor the "only pitching 6 innings a week" rule, but something tells me it might not happen.

Thanks for all your wonderful advice and letting me figure out how to salvage the season for the boys!

I am hoping his coach will honor the "only pitching 6 innings a week" rule, but something tells me it might not happen.

I would assume that rule is not just so other kids have a chance to try pitching. It s to protect the child's arm. I hope you can insist on it.

I'm glad the season is turning out ok.

I would assume that rule is not just so other kids have a chance to try pitching. It s to protect the child's arm. I hope you can insist on it.

I'm glad the season is turning out ok.

Yes, to this. My dh played at a Division I school and there is not way he lets our oldest, a pitcher, do more than whatever the rule is and sometimes he calls it before the rule kicks in. Investigate pitch count numbers and try to keep track. Tell the coach you will be tracking pitching and want him pulled when he reaches his limit. This isn't just so he can pitch later in life, the truth is most kids won't continue, but a damage arm can mean pain for life. Don't let it happen!

Figured I would give a little bit of an update.

The twins are doing great being coached by their father on the side. The last three games have been interesting to say the least. The first after dh spoke with the coach, the coach played the twins the entire game. Interestingly enough, the twins played amazingly well and both hit well and got in about 3-5 runs each. Another parent complained that the twins got to play the whole game and his son had to sit out 1 inning as a result. So the next game, he only played them a half game again. One twin went up to bat with bases loaded and got everyone home and himself to third. The other got in 1 runner. That was just with being up to bat one time each.

Tonights game, twin A hit a home run as a last batter and recieved the game ball. He was also played the whole game. Twin B, had a rough time up to bat and was only played half the game. Tomorrow we have another game and after that only 4 more.

I will be so glad when this season is over!!!!!! I am impressed with how well the boys are adapting to only being coached on the side. I can see the coaching gleam sparking in dh's eye again, so I know he is excited to jump in next season.

We are running into the opposite problem with my youngest son. His coach was able to see from the begininng that he had skill. The first few games he rotated all the youngsters through the field positions, but starting a couple games ago he has placed my youngest as the pitcher. He has pitched every inning of every game since and asked me tonight if I could talk to his coach about allowing him to play another position. Tonight he came home and just crashed on the couch totally exhausted and he has another game tomorrow night. I am hoping his coach will honor the "only pitching 6 innings a week" rule, but something tells me it might not happen.

Thanks for all your wonderful advice and letting me figure out how to salvage the season for the boys!

I'm glad to hear the better news about your older boys!

But I'll chime in with the others who are saying to protect your younger son's arm. You/your DH need to stop him from pitching.

Young boys are getting permanent elbow at alarming rates due to overuse and throwing "junk."

NO COACH will protect your son and his body better than you.

Glad it's turning out to be a decent season for your guys. We just finished a horrible one that left my baseball -loving 9 year old now disgusted with the sport. Awful, awful coaching and bratty, bratty kids being pandered to... ugh, it was a long season. :(

Oh, I'm sorry! That stinks!

If this is an actual Little League International, they have official limits on pitching. Your league may or may not have made those available to parents, but they still have to follow them. Here they are published on our league's website (scroll down to the pitch counts section):

http://www.eteamz.co....cfm?cat=355634

And a parent always has the right to set the limit their child can pitch for the day, and the coach has to follow that. You are the parent - set the limits if the coach won't do it.

Oh, and when your son has reached the pitch count limit during a game, don't let them put him at catcher. His arm needs to rest.

Definitely agreeing with this.

You know the old joke about Ginger Rogers doing everything Fred Astair did, but backwards and in heels?

Same goes for the catcher doing everything the pitcher is doing, but squatting and sometimes ill-fitted gear.

My BIL is a surgeon and says kids under 18 are his fastest growing client group :(

It made sense once he explained it, but I really hadn't thought about it befoe.

I notice a number of kids switch between catcher and pitcher, now that he brought it to my attention.

Thanks all! He is the first pitcher of my little brood, combined with it being the first time I have had a coach only bring up 1 pitcher. Dh is more aware of these things, but he has been at the twin's games while I go to our youngest's. Thankfully, dh will be able to attend youngster's game tomorrow. Scratch that....dh just walked in as I was typing and said, "There is no way I will let Coach play him as pitcher or catcher tomorrow." So, I guess that settles that. :D