Menu

Chemistry Social Group for Fall of 2013?

I had the impression from reading Dicentra's thread on Chemistry resources that there will be several of us with chemistry students in the fall of 2013. Is anyone interested in forming a social group/study group? While I will be starting in the fall with my student, I will be working through the summer reading the text, working problems, and sorting out labs. It would be great to have some company to work through lab glitches with and to share additional resources. I have taught chemistry before, but feel like I would benefit from having more adult minds to bounce ideas off of.

I am considering having both of my kids learn chemistry this year. My ds (11th) is a liberal arts guy who completely dislikes science and who will be overloaded with "English" classes. My dd (9th) is dyslexic, but loves science and hopes to work in something having to do with wildlife biology. I thought that a study such as Conceptual Chemistry with a very good lab component would be a good course for both of them. This would allow my dd to take an honors type biology next year and possibly even AP Chemistry later on. I am just concerned as to how she will do in this.

Support, both for me and the kids, sounds wonderful. I am assuming that most of you will probably be taking on courses that are a bit more rigorous than Conceptual Chemistry, but I would still enjoy bouncing ideas off of others.

I am considering having both of my kids learn chemistry this year. My ds (11th) is a liberal arts guy who completely dislikes science and who will be overloaded with "English" classes. My dd (9th) is dyslexic, but loves science and hopes to work in something having to do with wildlife biology. I thought that a study such as Conceptual Chemistry with a very good lab component would be a good course for both of them. This would allow my dd to take an honors type biology next year and possibly even AP Chemistry later on. I am just concerned as to how she will do in this.

Support, both for me and the kids, sounds wonderful. I am assuming that most of you will probably be taking on courses that are a bit more rigorous than Conceptual Chemistry, but I would still enjoy bouncing ideas off of others.

Well...I feel like such a slacker but I choose an actual high school text and one for a regular non-honours, non-AP course. :D It's Zumdahl's World of Chemistry. That might be woth a look for you too. I think it has more math then CC but the information might be a little more digestible for your younger kids considering it's written for high schoolers.

Another option that might be great for them is Mr. Q's Advanced Chemistry. He has a great casual writing style but solid information.

Regardless, I expect this group needs some slackers who aren't tackling Chang or AP courses. :D

ETA: I'm not such a horrible slacker. I've been googling for resources and noticed that some schools and teachers use WoC for honours courses. I don't think I have the knowledge to make and label our class honours but I find it reassuring. I'm thinking it must be a solid text for some to use it so.

I'd love it!!!

We're using High School Chemistry in Your Home by Adroin, and the Teaching Company Chemistry lectures....

I've never taught it and haven't been around chem since my honors chem class in high school. I did great then, but I do remember struggling with chemical equations.

We are doing The Bridge Math from the publishers of The Spectrum Chemistry right now, and I am soooooo glad we got it. I think if I had had these math topics explained this way I may have had a much easier time. Right off the bat my son and I were going, "oh!!!!".

It's $30, well worth the cost.

Anyway - I'd love feed back and resources :)

:party: That's ten chemistry teachers so far! You boardies are awesome.

It has been a while since I have been on the social groups - I pulled out of everything when they were listed in our profile - but I thought it might be a good idea to start it up with a handful of threads - really just titles -to keep us organized:

1. Introductions/Check-in: introduce yourself and your student, your curriculum and perhaps your goals (Honors, regular, just surviving high school science). Check back in here if you make a major change, talk about the results and maybe what you would do differently next time. This could be helpful for those who come after.
  2. Planning: What you are working on over the summer to prepare; how you are organizing your materials and how you are setting up your lab materials.
  3. Resources: I thought I would link Dicentra's resource thread and we can add as we go.
  4. Topics: Maybe Dicentra could set this up? ;) We will all be using different curriculum, but will cover roughly the same material, if not always in the same order: introduction, atoms, stoichiometry, states of matter, solutions, nuclear chemistry, etc. The idea would be that if you have a question about Boyle's Law, then you would go to the thread on "Gases" and ask your question or talk about the cool experiment you did or link a great Youtube lecture on the topic. This way we can stay organized, I think. :tongue_smilie:
  5. Whatever else you can think of: math for chemistry, field trips, and maybe a section for "practical application." One of my favorite ideas for filed trips in chemistry came from mcconnellboys with the suggestion of visiting distillaries, brewaries, etc. to see chemistry in action. Kitchen chemistry is a great teaching tool as well.

Let me know what you all think and then I'll go ahead and set up the group.

:party: That's ten chemistry teachers so far! You boardies are awesome.

It has been a while since I have been on the social groups - I pulled out of everything when they were listed in our profile - but I thought it might be a good idea to start it up with a handful of threads - really just titles -to keep us organized:

1. Introductions/Check-in: introduce yourself and your student, your curriculum and perhaps your goals (Honors, regular, just surviving high school science). Check back in here if you make a major change, talk about the results and maybe what you would do differently next time. This could be helpful for those who come after.

2. Planning: What you are working on over the summer to prepare; how you are organizing your materials and how you are setting up your lab materials.

3. Resources: I thought I would link Dicentra's resource thread and we can add as we go.

4. Topics: Maybe Dicentra could set this up? ;) We will all be using different curriculum, but will cover roughly the same material, if not always in the same order: introduction, atoms, stoichiometry, states of matter, solutions, nuclear chemistry, etc. The idea would be that if you have a question about Boyle's Law, then you would go to the thread on "Gases" and ask your question or talk about the cool experiment you did or link a great Youtube lecture on the topic. This way we can stay organized, I think. :tongue_smilie:

5. Whatever else you can think of: math for chemistry, field trips, and maybe a section for "practical application." One of my favorite ideas for filed trips in chemistry came from mcconnellboys with the suggestion of visiting distillaries, brewaries, etc. to see chemistry in action. Kitchen chemistry is a great teaching tool as well.

Let me know what you all think and then I'll go ahead and set up the group.

This sounds awesome, Lisa. I just have not put a lot of thought into this yet. We are barely keeping our heads above water with finals, AP tests, and my dd's broken ankle (club volleyball). I will be in full planning mode after next week. I would love to have support like this.

My ds (16) is coming back to part time homeschooling after having all online and ps enrichment classes this year. I will now be teaching him chemistry and government/econ, along with my dyslexic dd (soon to be 15) who I pretty much teach everything. It is going to be busy and I need to get started on my planning! Thank you so very much for thinking of this.!

I'm going to be teaching two chemistry classes in the fall.

The Honors Chemistry course will use Tro's Introductory Chemistry and Prentice Hall Small-Scale Chemistry Lab Manual.

The Conceptual Chemistry course will use Conceptual Chemistry and probably Teacher-Friendly Chemistry Labs and Activities.

Well, phooey, dd is supposed to take physics in the fall, but you are making me think maybe she should do chemistry!!

If she did do chemistry, she'd be doing Spectrum......anyone considering that route?? I would switch her to chem next yr just have someone to commiserate about the amt of time on labs. (Insert long sigh!!). ;)

I'm not sure I qualify... My rising 7th grader will be doing Chemistry next year, but I'm outsourcing the labs, and am pretty much planning on supplementary reading with Mr. Q Advanced Chem and McHenry's Carbon Chem to follow along with the lab class' syllabus... my plan is to not have to plan too much... :tongue_smilie:

Well, phooey, dd is supposed to take physics in the fall, but you are making me think maybe she should do chemistry!!

If she did do chemistry, she'd be doing Spectrum......anyone considering that route?? I would switch her to chem next yr just have someone to commiserate about the amt of time on labs. (Insert long sigh!!). ;)

Oh, you - I mean your dd should definitely do chemistry next year. :D

Thanks for all of the feedback and it great to see so many joining us. I will get the group up either tonight or in the morning. We are currently trying to finish off an AP English Language class application. Next year is going to be a bit hairy for us so I am excited to share some of the load and punny humor. (Dawn!) :D

I feel like I'm out of my league, but I'm in. We'll be using Spectrum. Putting a chemistry "curriculum" together is just too overwhelming for me. I need the labs laid out, answers to question and tests right there for me.

Same here. That's why I went with Zumdahl. There's a blog where a mom (who posts here) has laid out the entire year for a Zumdahl text (a little different then mine but not a big deal). She's got labs, links, videos, reading...I've been googling for high school courses that use the text also so I can steal tests and additional ideas.

My 9th grade son is just finishing Spectrum Chemistry this year and I just wanted to say that I think he would have really enjoyed having a group of peers to "commiserate" with during this year. We actually have very much enjoyed Spectrum, but it was difficult for him to wrap his mind around at first.

I love your idea for having a mom group though. I'd love to do that for physics next year, since we will have chemistry under our belt. BTW...I'm thinking of posting a "what I wish I'd know about Spectrum" once his completes the course (around mid-June). There were a couple of things that will make your year go smoother if you know them in advance.

Ashley

Hmmmmm.......Lisa, now you are going to make me reconsider. :p Though I am with Matryoshka, I am not panning on doing much planning. My big thing will be having to click on the order button for the consumable chemicals. ;). The headache for me is working in the weekly huge chunk of time the labs take. Physics is so much easier to schedule.

Topics: Maybe Dicentra could set this up? ;) We will all be using different curriculum, but will cover roughly the same material, if not always in the same order: introduction, atoms, stoichiometry, states of matter, solutions, nuclear chemistry, etc. The idea would be that if you have a question about Boyle's Law, then you would go to the thread on "Gases" and ask your question or talk about the cool experiment you did or link a great Youtube lecture on the topic. This way we can stay organized, I think. :tongue_smilie:

:D I'll set up the topic threads later today, if everyone is OK with me doing that. Swimmermom3 - did you want to start the very first thread so that it's a general welcome thread? I can wait until you've done that to start the topic threads, if you like. :)

:D I'll set up the topic threads later today, if everyone is OK with me doing that. Swimmermom3 - did you want to start the very first thread so that it's a general welcome thread? I can wait until you've done that to start the topic threads, if you like. :)

I think I may have messed up already. If you and anyone else who has worked in the social groups would take a look, I would appreciate it. I think I have put everything under "group discussion" when I should have started under "forums"? Again, the whole idea would be that anyone could access a particular topic when they needed it. I just thought if someone knowledgeable, say a former AP Chem teacher perhaps, could put them in a basic order that one might encounter them as you proceed through the course, it would be helpful.

I will be doing chemistry with ds and dd next year also and would enjoy having a support group. I have some Chemistry background, but it's been years! I am still deciding on a book (probably BJU or one of the Zumdahl's) that we will use along with DIVE. Dc will also be doing the Landry Chemistry lab intensive in October, watching all the labs on DIVE (which includes AP labs), and doing more hands on at home as supplies allow.

Please add me to the social group.

Pamela F.

I think I may have messed up already. If you and anyone else who has worked in the social groups would take a look, I would appreciate it. I think I have put everything under "group discussion" when I should have started under "forums"? Again, the whole idea would be that anyone could access a particular topic when they needed it. I just thought if someone knowledgeable, say a former AP Chem teacher perhaps, could put them in a basic order that one might encounter them as you proceed through the course, it would be helpful.

No - you did it correctly. :D I'm the dolt who doesn't know how social groups work so I didn't see that you already had an intro thread - I see it now. :)

Technology confuses me. Sigh...

No - you did it correctly. :D I'm the dolt who doesn't know how social groups work so I didn't see that you already had an intro thread - I see it now. :)

Technology confuses me. Sigh...

No, I do think you were okay. When I initially go into the group, it looks as though there is no activity: no "News" and no new posts. I am not sure which area is for what purpose, but I think we want individual forums? After trying to figure this out, teaching chemistry is beginning to look easy.

<<Help!>> <<Please help>>> <<Anyone?>>>

BTW: Dicentra, have you looked over Dr. Tang's notes? Whooa.

SW3 (I've now shortened you to that because... well... chemists are lazy. :D) - have you looked under the settings or your dashboard (I think that's what it's called) for the group? (I think only the group owner has access to these.) Maybe there's something there to change so that "latest posts" show up on the group homepage. Right now, the group homepage says there are no "latest posts" even though there are. If the "latest posts" showed up on the group homepage, then that would lead people over to the "Group Discussion" section where all the action is at :D rather than them looking at the homepage, not seeing anything, and thinking nothing was going on. Does that make sense?

I've only glanced at the notes but he certainly does like colour! :) I think they look very in depth and rigorous - I can't even imagine the number of hours he has put into those notes. He's very generous to share them on the web. :)

Well, :willy_nilly: !! I might be more on board with needing Chem teaching info than I thought... I just subbed at the high school today for one of the honors Chem teachers (both my high schoolers are taking honors Chem there next year) and did some reconnaissance. Looks like there will have to be some afterschooling of Chem. Apparently the Chem teachers there don't teach very well - depending on the class, many or all of the overachieving superstudents are confused. That is not a good sign. I had heard rumors to this effect, but I was hoping it was just one teacher. One is worse, but it sounds like no one is stellar. One student said they had another sub come in who finally explained something they were all confused on. :glare: Such a shame; my dds had a great Bio teacher this year that really made them love Biology.

So, I was thinking at the very least I should get a great Chemistry text for them to reference, as there is no text at the school. Just hand-outs. There are texts at the back of the room, but the kids say they've never looked at them. Neither of the texts there were Zumdahl or Chang or any of the ones I've heard of here. Also wondering about the order of topics - they were doing Lewis dot diagrams and covalent/ionic bonding now (with delta chi calculations), shape of molecules and polarity at the end of the year! Wouldn't it make more sense to introduce that stuff right at the beginning? That seems really foundational to me. They say they've already done mixtures, molarity and stoichiometry. I seem to remember a thread talking about which order made more sense - atomic structure, bonding and molecules first, or math first. What is the rationale for the second approach? I was thinking maybe I should have them preview some of these topics over the summer so they're more prepared.

Any video lessons that would be a good supplement? I've got the Teaching Company ones that are mostly math (that I hear are deadly dull). Which text would be the best for this kind of situation? I tried to get a syllabus, but no one had theirs anymore.

Off to re-read Dicentra's Chem thread over on the high school board...

(Maybe I should be posting this over on the Group?? Am I still welcome if I'm only afterschooling two and supplementing a lab class with the third? At least I'd love to listen in...)

SW3 (I've now shortened you to that because... well... chemists are lazy. :D) - have you looked under the settings or your dashboard (I think that's what it's called) for the group? (I think only the group owner has access to these.) Maybe there's something there to change so that "latest posts" show up on the group homepage. Right now, the group homepage says there are no "latest posts" even though there are. If the "latest posts" showed up on the group homepage, then that would lead people over to the "Group Discussion" section where all the action is at :D rather than them looking at the homepage, not seeing anything, and thinking nothing was going on. Does that make sense?

I've only glanced at the notes but he certainly does like colour! :) I think they look very in depth and rigorous - I can't even imagine the number of hours he has put into those notes. He's very generous to share them on the web. :)

SW3 works for me. :D

I'll go back in to the control panel and play with it some more. I would also be more than happy to share control panel responsibilities with a more knowledgeable person. Just let me know.

About Dr. Tang, yes, he is incredibly generous. Did you see on the AP schedule that he has videos too. The poor man will probably never know that out in cyberspace there lurks a middle-age fan club of homeschooling moms.

Well, :willy_nilly: !! I might be more on board with needing Chem teaching info than I thought... I just subbed at the high school today for one of the honors Chem teachers (both my high schoolers are taking honors Chem there next year) and did some reconnaissance. Looks like there will have to be some afterschooling of Chem. Apparently the Chem teachers there don't teach very well - depending on the class, many or all of the overachieving superstudents are confused. That is not a good sign. I had heard rumors to this effect, but I was hoping it was just one teacher. One is worse, but it sounds like no one is stellar. One student said they had another sub come in who finally explained something they were all confused on. :glare: Such a shame; my dds had a great Bio teacher this year that really made them love Biology.

So, I was thinking at the very least I should get a great Chemistry text for them to reference, as there is no text at the school. Just hand-outs. There are texts at the back of the room, but the kids say they've never looked at them. Neither of the texts there were Zumdahl or Chang or any of the ones I've heard of here. Also wondering about the order of topics - they were doing Lewis dot diagrams and covalent/ionic bonding now (with delta chi calculations), shape of molecules and polarity at the end of the year! Wouldn't it make more sense to introduce that stuff right at the beginning? That seems really foundational to me. They say they've already done mixtures, molarity and stoichiometry. I seem to remember a thread talking about which order made more sense - atomic structure, bonding and molecules first, or math first. What is the rationale for the second approach? I was thinking maybe I should have them preview some of these topics over the summer so they're more prepared.

Any video lessons that would be a good supplement? I've got the Teaching Company ones that are mostly math (that I hear are deadly dull). Which text would be the best for this kind of situation? I tried to get a syllabus, but no one had theirs anymore.

(Maybe I should be posting this over on the Group?? Am I still welcome if I'm only afterschooling two and supplementing a lab class with the third? At least I'd love to listen in...)

I have been contemplating teaching chemistry at home for a while. My older two kids had terrible experiences at the ps for chemistry and ended up completing their courses at home with me tutoring. I used to think that getting a good teacher was enough, but some of the classes are so poor, that it is a losing proposition. Ds has thoroughly enjoyed physics and his teacher this year, but has struggled with the out-of-control class. The teacher said it was his worst class in many years of teaching. The failure rate is 70% compared to 15% in his other classes. When my son talked to him at break, he offered to let ds join a handful of students who were doing advanced work in the storage closet during class. The teacher had to discontinue this because of the quantity of remedial work he is doing with the rest of the class. I am furious. The good news is that is what pushed me over the edge in deciding to bring science home.

Text books often remain in the classrooms these days. There aren't enough to go around so the kids get handouts, but most of the publishers have the texts online and the teacher will include the link in his syllabus.

And Matryoshka, this is not a private club. :D Anyone that teaches chemistry, studies chemistry, or that breathes the same air as their student who is doing chemistry is welcome to join. You are always welcome, as is anyone else who is interested.

SW3 works for me. :D

I'll go back in to the control panel and play with it some more. I would also be more than happy to share control panel responsibilities with a more knowledgeable person. Just let me know.

About Dr. Tang, yes, he is incredibly generous. Did you see on the AP schedule that he has videos too. The poor man will probably never know that out in cyberspace there lurks a middle-age fan club of homeschooling moms.

Now that I look at it again, I think I meant to shorten you to SM3. :D I'm dealing with an injured horse today so my brain is a little scattered.

I think Dr. Tang would be flattered. Or scared. Or a little of both. :p

You use lots of big Chemistry words that I don't understand therefore I think you MUST join the grohp.

I have been contemplating teaching chemistry at home for a while. My older two kids had terrible experiences at the ps for chemistry and ended up completing their courses at home with me tutoring. I used to think that getting a good teacher was enough, but some of the classes are so poor, that it is a losing proposition. Ds has thoroughly enjoyed physics and his teacher this year, but has struggled with the out-of-control class. The teacher said it was his worst class in many years of teaching. The failure rate is 70% compared to 15% in his other classes. When my son talked to him at break, he offered to let ds join a handful of students who were doing advanced work in the storage closet during class. The teacher had to discontinue this because of the quantity of remedial work he is doing with the rest of the class. I am furious. The good news is that is what pushed me over the edge in deciding to bring science home.

I really wish I could pick and choose which classes they could attend at the high school. I could have done a better job in English and History this year (Twitter notes? Really?). Their Biology teacher was excellent, though, and my math-hating dd thrived and is even liking math with a teacher who is not me. But they have a rotating daily schedule, so it's pretty much impossible to go for one or a few classes. It doesn't even repeat weekly.

Here, the problem is not the other students, as long as you stick to honors classes (which mine are all in, with the exception of the one dd in math, and now she wants to move up to honors next year). The honors students are very driven, attentive and competitive, actually, and it's caused a bit of stress on my kids, but it's also made them realize that others apply themselves as much or more (it's not just my crazy idea that they should work hard...). Lots of kids afterschool. That's why it's really a shock to hear of some of the Honors Chem teachers having classes where most are getting C's - these are kids who practically have a nervous breakdown if they get lower than a 98. The problem in this case can't be that the kids aren't willing to work or have issues that need remediating.

Ironically, I just got today's local paper - our high school just got ranked 5th in the state; in the top 200 nationwide. So what is up with Chem??

Text books often remain in the classrooms these days. There aren't enough to go around so the kids get handouts, but most of the publishers have the texts online and the teacher will include the link in his syllabus.

The history text for one of my dds was online this year (but we requested a hard-copy and got it), but it doesn't appear that there is any text for the science classes, not even online. Just handouts. :confused1:

And Matryoshka, this is not a private club. :D Anyone that teaches chemistry, studies chemistry, or that breathes the same air as their student who is doing chemistry is welcome to join. You are always welcome, as is anyone else who is interested.

Aw, thanks. I still like to think of myself as a homeschooler who just happens to be using the public school for some classes from 7:30-2. ;)

And younger dd is home again as of a couple of weeks ago! The class I was taking is over, so I just had her come home. :D When I'm called into sub, dh stays home for the morning, or brings her in with him and home at lunch.

You use lots of big Chemistry words that I don't understand therefore I think you MUST join the group.

Hehe - I don't remember ever hearing about a delta chi calculation before today. :lol: Maybe I learned about it in high school, but if I did I have completely blocked it out. So I had the kids explain it to me. Apparently its the difference (delta) in electronegativity (chi) between different elements in a compound (someone want to give me a precise definition of what electronegativity is as it applies to different elements?). Each element gets a number (assigned on a chart - kids did not how these numbers were derived - anyone know?), and then you subtract one from the other and take the absolute value, and violĂƒÂ , the number tells you whether the bond is ionic, covalent, or polar covalent. Cool! Kids did not know how to figure when there were three or more elements in a compound, so I am still in the dark on that too...