Menu

Minecraft: evil, good or neutral?

Where do you stand on this? I keep flip flopping. Both of my kids love it but my 9 year old is obsessed with it. He thinks about it all of the time. The first words out of his mouth in the morning are usually about minecraft.

I oscillate between thinking it is mind rotting, time wasting twaddle and finding some value in it. Last weekend he and some friends made a model of our house in minecraft. They alternated designing rooms on the kindle. It was actually pretty cool and led to some interesting discussions on how to design the roof. Anyway...sometimes I see some interesting value in it, other times I am just annoyed by the obsession. As I type this, he is standing on the other side of the table trying to convince me to download it on the computer. As it is, he can only play it on the ipod or the kindle and that is just pocket edition which is severely limited.

Help me flesh out my conflicting emotions about this and come up with a logical approach to my kid's minecraft obsession.

A very detrimental waste of time.

Pull the plug.

I call it "Mind-crack" because of the obsessive/addictive quality this game seems to foster in too many kids. I banned it when I saw what was happening to my son's friends who got sucked into the vortex of Mindcraft. It even created some disagreements with other parents who were claiming the game was so creative and otherwise good.

All those parents have come to sing a different tune now. They are all dealing with issues of "addiction" and are struggling to break their children way from the Mindcrack.

My kid is a pretty self-regulating non-obsessive sort by nature, but boy am I glad I killed this one before it grew.

Bill

I have not seen it hurtful to my daughter in any way. I am very much enjoying her figure out her world, build a world, and manage it. I'm supremely pleased to see what she finds important and not important to the things she builds in her world.

I vote neutral. We can live without it, but I'm not seeing anything that makes it bad on this end.

There is plenty that is educational about it. Just google minecraft plus lesson plans. You will see.

And my vote? Evilly good..:D

I am so not in the camp many are regarding these things. It is not hurtful. It actually has useful skills. Too many links to place here, but google and find out for yourself. And please, don't deny your child something he finds fun just because a bunch of parents on a message board wouldn't allow it for their kids.

There is plenty that is educational about it. Just google minecraft plus lesson plans. You will see.

And my vote? Evilly good.. :D

I am so not in the camp many are regarding these things. It is not hurtful. It actually has useful skills. Too many links to place here, but google and find out for yourself. And please, don't deny your child something he finds fun just because a bunch of parents on a message board wouldn't allow it for their kids.

I completely agree.

I also agree with others in the thread who believe it's bad for their child. If it turns bad for your child, stop it immediately.

It's not bad for all - not all children are going to turn into mindless zombies and live in their Mom's basement at 32 still playing the game.

ETA That like Bill, I saw my nephews go down that path. I told Melissa the game would be gone in a second if she obsessed like that. She knows she must control it and she does, with my guidance.

I'm aware of the addictive possibilities and I'm watching it. I think that's the correct parenting decision in my household. Others decisions will vary. :)

My kids only have the iPod app as I have seen how addictive it can be. They really like building and sharing worlds with their friends. I treat it like anything else. They can have 30min of free screen time per day, after they do their daily reading. They go through spurts of playing it and other times choose wii or other apps. With all things, balance is key.

We haven't had any issues here. It's interesting to hear all 5 boys play the game differently. We've always had rules/limits on game time, so they can choose to use their game time for the game, or not.

My oldest (who enjoys computer programming) has learned how to make mods for it and now spends time programming (using Java, I think it is) to make his own worlds.

It hasn't rotted their brains at all :lol:.

Do what works for your kid.

ETA: I think they spend most of their time playing in solo worlds or worlds with their brothers (I'm actually pretty clueless here, but dh isn't so they do have adult supervision :lol:). Also, when my older two boys were 5 & 4, they became obsessed with Mario brothers on the Nintendo 64. We took away games for an entire year. The older boys remember this vividly, and the story has been told to the younger boys on more than one occasion. They know we'll take away games again if it becomes an issue, so they tend to work pretty hard to have self-control in the gaming arena.

Neutral.

Annoying if they try to talk to me about it, but I am getting good at deflecting the talk. Awesome when they read something in history and try to recreate it in minecraft. Evil when they get mildly crabby when I tell them to put it away.

So far they are obsessed, but not addicted, sort of like how they are obsessed with legos. In fact that's what minecraft is--electronic legos.

Meh, neutral. Ds has been playing Minecraft since it was in alpha. Any video game can become an obsession, some children have issues with controlling the obsession. Ds goes in spurts, but that's in general with any game he gets. It's more productive from an educational standpoint than many games. Ds has had a few friends that were obsessed with gaming in general, so I've seen how out of hand it can get.

If you allow your child to play any sort of video game, I'd say this is one of the best you could choose. My son does single player only. It's not the type of game with only one path or where they are boxed in with only one correct way. It's as wide open as their imagination and I think that's why kids respond to it the way they do. He's not more into it than anything else he enjoys. I'm fine with it.

I don't have a problem with it. I don't let them play it online (or anything else online with strangers) either.

I think it comes down to all forms of media as a parent - we need to set limits. I don't mind my kids watching some TV, but they will watch it all day if I let them. But I don't. Same with videogames, time on the internet, etc. Part of our job as parents is to make sure it's age appropriate and to limit screen time in general. In this context, minecraft is fine.

I don't have a problem with it. Some kids have a tendency to addictive behaviour with games like that though. With those sort of kids, well perhaps it isn't so great. My son knows it's a saturday only thing. I will even play with him once in awhile. I think it could have some good qualities, but mostly it's just a fun computer game. He knows that if it becomes something he can't pull himself away from mentally (physically I'll shut it down), than we will pull the plug for awhile.

A very detrimental waste of time.

Pull the plug.

I call it "Mind-crack" because of the obsessive/addictive quality this game seems to foster in too many kids. I banned it when I saw what was happening to my son's friends who got sucked into the vortex of Mindcraft. It even created some disagreements with other parents who were claiming the game was so creative and otherwise good.

All those parents have come to sing a different tune now. They are all dealing with issues of "addiction" and are struggling to break their children way from the Mindcrack.

My kid is a pretty self-regulating non-obsessive sort by nature, but boy am I glad I killed this one before it grew.

Bill

I agree and disagree. My son loved this game for awhile and created many cool structures. It lasted a few months. Then he was over it and moved onto something else. It didn't create any longlasting problems. (I hope I will be able to say that about what he likes now...League of Legends. Most of his friends are outgrowing it though).

I don't really see that much difference between that and the Legos or magnets or anything else he played with a lot, for a long time. I do limit screentime to weekends, though.

My kids are not interested in playing Minecraft but watching Minecraft youtube videos is banned because of the foul language.

For those who talk about pulling the plug if addicted, do you inform all the mums for playdates because it is easy to get access to electronics in another person's house? While my wifi is secured, there are some neighbor's wifi that is not and it is easy for a kid with anything web-enabled to surf using someone's unsecured wifi.

One problem my neighbor have is that her child would play with my kid's ipad when she comes over for playdates. To the extent that her mum had to tell me that it is banned when she drop the child off. My hubby's nephew and niece also played on my kids ipad because their parents banned them and BIL forgot to tell us. (ETA: as in addicted to the ipad games)

I could not stand having it on the iphone/tablet. It's a pita to do anything.

I love the Minecraft Forums, and my Minecraft. I suppose you could say I'm addicted (BUT I go through periods where I play it like mad, then don't touch it). I've made skins (I actually did a skin request for Egyptian Gods, and I think thats what got Atlas started in her obsession with Ancient Egypt.

Simply put, it's a tool. If you figure out how to make sure the child is using the tool properly, its BRILLIANT. If you don't, it's not good. This is not the tool's fault.

People create maps of the world, make amazing art with these skins, create maps that I do, that to me are akin to the logic puzzles and mind benders I do. It takes a lot of brain effort sometimes to complete those maps.

Doing a multi-player map create co-operation, same with hosting on being on a good MC server.

There is a Minecraft EDU site as well, that can help teachers and parents turn the MC experience into a "see-able" (because I think its educational anyway) edu experience.

Its the same as saying your computer paint program is bad. Paint is a tool, its how you use it.

Minecraft has gone a little loony with the updates (esp The End, don't get me started with that) but it's meant as an open sandbox game, the possibilities are endless.

I even gifted a mate's little sister who could not afford it, an account. She was extremely grateful, and the designs she has made are extremely detailed.

Once A is old enough to easily use the keyboard and mouse (she can use them now, just not for accuracy) I'll add on projects for her to do using Minecraft.

If your afraid they are spending too much time and becoming addicted, perhaps giving projects for them to do on Minecraft, or having a list of chores that must be done to be awarded 1 hr at the computer etc. Also, it shouldn't have to be said, but I will add it, don't allow your children on the computer (especially with something like Paint, levels game or MC) until "school" is finished. Using your writing program is fine (although I would still suggest that towards the end of the day). These games use immense focus and concentration, you sort of "zone" in on creating something with Paint/Gimp/MC, and when pulled out of that its a little disconcerting, plus the focus just wouldn't be there to then do school assignments.

Anyway if I am not making sense, just ignore me :p

I banned it when I saw what was happening to my son's friends who got sucked into the vortex of Mindcraft. It even created some disagreements with other parents who were claiming the game was so creative and otherwise good.

If you let your kid at anything for endless hours and no questioning, it can become an addiction. Don't blame the game. The parents are the problem in those circumstances.

That's so cool you got into it. My kids tried to get me into it. I didn't grasp the concept or something. LOL

I tried it once for five minutes on my tablet. I put some blocks down. lol It is not for me! My husband plays on a server, though he is an on again/off again player like a PP mentioned. My son does play on his DS (not online) maybe once or twice a week. He has other games on his DS though, so it's not always Minecraft. He likes building stuff.

Positive, DS often plans out his creation on paper prior to building it. He often asks for "challenges" from me(bridges, rollercoasters,). I have also "competed" with him in a 10 minute challenge(build a wall, most interesting one wins). My only issue is that he spends a lot of time watching other peoples Minecraft videos on youtube. I think as long as he spends an ample amount of time outside with friends it really isn't a problem. I will say that the computer version has a lot more creativity available then the other platforms (we have the pocket and Xbox versions too).

Neutral. I don't see it as a programming thing or a creative thing the way some people do. It's a game, pure and simple. A game with some more creative elements, but it's not an art program. I've seen the lesson plans for using it. I think most of that is a waste of time. I mean, if a kid is already into Minecraft, then letting them make models of the places they're learning about is fine, I think. But most of the supposed applications are things you could get from nearly any activity. I mean, teamwork? You could get that from sports, from academic teams or projects... or from playing WOW together, but most people aren't out here arguing that World of Warcraft is so educational.

My kids play it occasionally, but they aren't super into it. I don't limit it specifically, but I do treat it like any other recreational screens, which are limited. I relax the limits for creative use of screens - my kids are allowed to make movies and program their Mindstorms and a few other things, for example, outside their "regular" screen time. But Minecraft seems to be in that category in a lot of homes and it isn't in ours.

I rarely FORBID anything. I mean of course, if something is illegal it is forbidden. If something is unhealthy or life threatening, we don't allow that either. But taking something away and forbidding it is not really my parenting style. I try to control the environment rather than the children. I usually try to work through behavior with my kids. I mean, ultimately, I have "veto power" in the house but forbidding minecraft would set up a power struggle that would be both unnecessary and damaging to our relationship. I will save that kind of thing for the really truly big and ugly stuff should it come about in our home.

However, setting boundaries and parameters in which this kind of stuff is allowed is totally in line with how we do things around here. I have been letting him play it on his ipod and sometimes on my kindle. But my issue is that it is the only thing he wants to do during screen time. It is nuts. I wish he were engaging in a more diverse range of screen time activities. I am still trying to find the solution that feels right for us. Perhaps he will outgrow this obsession while I am searching for an answer.

Neutral.

Annoying if they try to talk to me about it, but I am getting good at deflecting the talk. Awesome when they read something in history and try to recreate it in minecraft. Evil when they get mildly crabby when I tell them to put it away.

So far they are obsessed, but not addicted, sort of like how they are obsessed with legos. In fact that's what minecraft is--electronic legos.

This is EXACTLY where I'm at with Buck. I get so sick of hearing about it! lol But we have metered computer time at our house anyway, so if he chooses to blow that time on Minecraft, that's fine. Beats those stupid dress-up games his sister plays... :p

Question for those who know more than I: He wants to create a server so he and two of his local homeschool buddies can play it together.

Tell me why this would or wouldn't be a bad thing!

Question for those who know more than I: He wants to create a server so he and two of his local homeschool buddies can play it together.

Tell me why this would or wouldn't be a bad thing!

My kids adore playing with their friends and meeting up in each other's mine craft world. They have so much fun with it.

I have no problem with it as long as I have rights to limit the amount of time they can play.

My boys love it. Love it. Why do we, as parents or home educators feel like every single minute of our kids' days should be filled with educational moments? My boys have played all sorts of games, and this one is definitely the best!

My oldest (who enjoys computer programming) has learned how to make mods for it and now spends time programming (using Java, I think it is) to make his own worlds.

It hasn't rotted their brains at all :lol:.

Same here. My son has been studying programming since getting into Minecraft. He taught himself how to make his own skins and texture packs using Gimp. He's now learning java through Lynda.com & taking a Udacity course this summer...all because of his interest in Minecraft.

Whether or not it's "educational" is determined to some degree by the parent. Are you willing to find an educational slant and direction? But maybe the kids want to use it just to veg at times, and there's nothing wrong with that.

In my book, Minecraft can be highly educational. Even before the programming, I would let my boys (10 & 12) build buildings that tied into our history (medieval) and literature (Harry Potter). They built castles, the Forbidden Forest, & and Hagrid's hut to demonstrate their comprehension of the material. My oldest also writes about Minecraft, creating new characters and worlds and story lines.

It's also helped my oldest son (who has always struggled with making friends) find his "tribe" so to speak. He's meeting kids who also want to design mods & mobs and they talk about ideas face-to-face, they play online together (on a server he built for Minecraft), and some kids are now asking him how to do their own skins and such.

I'm firmly in the good camp! :hurray:

But moYou could get that from sports, from academic teams or projects... or from playing WOW together, but most people aren't out here arguing that World of Warcraft is so educational.

I'd argue WoW is educational too. :tongue_smilie: We're just a household of geeks here, I guess, and all of the humans with Y chromosomes in my house are into gaming. My 12 year old was absorbed in WoW for a while too. He began talking about characters with me and we researched the mythological & fantasy roots of many of the characters, we talked about the hero's journey in stories. He used WoW in creative writing by writing about new mythological characters and story lines for it too. These were all spontaneous learning opportunities we simply took advantage off by thinking outside the box of what could be "educational."

I'd argue WoW is educational too. :tongue_smilie: We're just a household of geeks here, I guess, and all of the humans with Y chromosomes in my house are into gaming. My 12 year old was absorbed in WoW for a while too. He began talking about characters with me and we researched the mythological & fantasy roots of many of the characters, we talked about the hero's journey in stories. He used WoW in creative writing by writing about new mythological characters and story lines for it too. These were all spontaneous learning opportunities we simply took advantage off by thinking outside the box of what could be "educational."

I agree to a point. Of course anything we do can be educational. And I don't have anything against WoW or even Minecraft or lots of other perfectly fine free time uses in moderation. What I see is educators touting how excellently creative Minecraft is and encouraging kids and their parents to get it and use it because of the educational elements. That's what I don't buy.

I view it as neutral unless it is being used in an obsessive manner. My three youngest kids play it, and they enjoy it, but it is not an obsessive pursuit so I view it as a benign way to pass some time with some interesting aspects to it. They do not use the online version.