Menu

How many hours a day for 2nd grade?

Around 2.5 - 3 hours of schoolwork, plus independent reading. It often breaks down as:

- 45 min - 1 h. of math

- 30 min - 45 min of handwriting, spelling, grammar, writing

- 1 - 1.5 h of science, history and others (languages, art, Bible, geography)

ETA: I think that we may be at the high end of structured schoolwork time for this age level. I worry about that sometimes, but my current Gr. 2 dd is someone who thrives with lots of structure and predictability, and who needs academic stimulation. She reads independently for a minimum of 45 min. daily, but of her own volition extends that to several hours some days.

I was calculating the suggested hours from TWTM, third edition, p. 216, The Grammar Stage at a Glance, just to see how close we are. I came up with a low end of approximately 3 hours (including 30 minutes of child reading history/science during the 1.5/1 hour suggested time for history/science and excluding religion, art and music) and a high end of 4 hours and 35 minutes. I know nobody does it all, it is just a suggestion, even Susan didn't do it all, etc. etc.

You know how it often is for first time mom's, wondering if they are doing enough. Throw on top of that a son who often fights me about doing school, which can really drag out our days and I am looking for ways to make sure we are doing enough but also to make sure our days are as efficient as possible but we still get done what needs to get done.

I am teaching two same-age boys, which probably means it is going to take a bit longer. My goal is to start at 9:00 and be finished by noon, if I don't have any long-lasting melt down episodes from the son who fights school (we see them more on Mondays than any other day). I had planned to add in Latin this year but it was extending our days too long. I hope to do it for 3 grade though or maybe even in August, which would be about half way through 2nd grade for us.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Just checking to see if we are in line with what others are doing, approximately.

I've heard that recommendation, and it fits in quite well with what we actually do — also two hours, three or more if you count reading.

I'm just hoping the kids won't have to do 12 hours in twelfth grade :).

:lol: There is supposed to be a cap in there around upper middle school, I believe. I'm not anywhere close to that though, so I haven't concerned myself with it as of yet. ;)

Please read this, from Susan herself:

http://www.welltrain....com/schedules/

:)

Yes, thanks, I have already read that, which is why I also said, "I know nobody does it all, it is just a suggestion, even Susan didn't do it all, etc. etc." in my post above. But it was a good reminder to read it again, which I did:).

I was just looking for some reassurance that we are in line with what others are doing. It sounds like we are, pretty much. Thanks!

My rule of thumb is Grade / 2 + 1 to 1.5 hours.

I don't have a 2nd grader yet, but my 1st grader is expected to do 1.5 to 2 hours of schoolwork (including listening to me reading aloud for history, etc.) and my 5th grader is expected to do 3.5 to 4 hours.

I do take goofing off in to account, so sometimes it might take 3+ hours to do 2 hours of work. ;)

ETA: Now that they KNOW exactly what I expect from them in terms of time commitment, they do better about getting down to work and getting it done, though. We have an agreement in place, I will not drag out your school day longer than X time, IF YOU do not drag out your school day longer than X time.

Before I implemented this, it was a battle from start to finish, because they didn't know what was expected of them, so I *might* have been planning on keeping them all. day. long. as far as they knew.

I tried to do everything in the WTM and it was too much, I had burn out and so couldn't continue. I still keep the book and find it as a great resource once in awhile.

From K - 1st grade we did about 1.5 hours

For 2nd and 3rd grade we did about 2 -2.5 hours.

4th grade 3 - 3.5 hours

5th grade (this year) 4 hours sometimes more. He is able to do a lot of independent work now and that increases his time (not mine) I can assign him his math, reading, drawing, Rosetta Stone and stuff like that.

For these earlier years we spent about 30 minutes on Math (Right Start) sometimes math would take longer if we were playing games. We spent 30 minutes on language arts.Sometimes depending on the composition assingment it may take longer. When I was doing language arts using exactly what WTM suggested it would take 1.5 hours just for language arts, that lasted a semester and I was done with that. Because language arts has so many components I do not do the same skills everyday. I try to alternate days with grammar, handwriting, vocabulary, composition and phonics/spelling. I also like to add in things like copywork, dictation and narration. So, there is just so much to language arts and it's hard to do all those subjects each day.

We did Five in a Row and that would take 30 - 45 minutes. Sometimes we were doing Sonlight and that would take longer more like 1 - 1.5 hours.

My twins in 2nd grade do school 3x/week. They spend about an hour in Language Arts (English, Spelling and Writing) and 30-60 minutes on Math (it's up to them how long it takes them). Science and History are not from a textbook- museums, experiments, daily life, etc- so that's hard to calculate.

We also have Devotions in the morning for 30min every day.

On top of that, they read during our Quiet Time, which is two hours- Bible reading, Scripture memory, and then a book of their choice. They often don't want to stop, sometimes reading 3+ hours per day.

For as little as they do actual school, they are ahead in their math and language Arts skills, so I'm not worried (unlike my mother-in-law, who is very stressed by it :glare: )

My dd does about 3hrs, not counting the reading that she hides in her room to do. That's not required and often she's kicked outside to go play instead. On Fridays we have 4hrs but there is only about 1hr of seat work and the rest is what she calls play.

My son doing second grade work this year spent about two hours with table work per day. Reading for schoolwork outside of that probably added 30 minutes per day if it was spread out over the week. In reality, he'd usually spend hours doing his school reading on Sunday and Monday because he has trouble putting a book down once he starts, and then read whatever he wants for the rest of the week.

My 1st grader does about 2 hours * 2 days per week and 4 hours * 2 days per week, gives about 12 hours over the entire week give or take. Between 3 and 5 hours of that overall total is spent doing fun projects, science experiments and art.

We will be sticking to about the same schedule for 2nd grade