Menu

Need board/card game ideas for teen group

bobbeym

We're hosting our hs group's young adult game day on the 18th and I need board/card game suggestions.

The number of teens that show up varies from 5 to 15, so we may need to have more than one option available. We have no games outside of Monopoly and a $30-40 game budget.

They just played Apples to Apples last month, so I don't really want to get that one. Spoons is also hugely popular with this crowd. Ideas?

The last teen gathering we attended, the kids played SkipBo. The time before that, Creationary (lego game). Other popular games have been: cranium, uno, scategories, charades. Many teens have been raving about Carcassone (did I spell that right?) but we have not tried it yet

Monopoly Deal is really fun and really cheap! It's a card game where you try to collect three sets of properties, but there are cards where you can force someone to trade properties with you or steal from them. It's really fun. I think up to 5 people can play with one deck. But you can combine two decks and play with more people. It'd probably be more fun to have two separate games going though.

Phase 10 is a game that I played in college with friends a lot. It was lots of fun, but if Monopoly Deal had been out then, we probably would have liked it better.

A nice social game is Dixit.

(The show is sometimes not appropriate for all audiences. But I think the Dixit episode was fine)

Tabletop!? Wil Wheaton!? Squee! :001_wub: Tabletop is definitely rated PG-13+. My 12 year old has watched most episodes, but his personality allows us to be more liberal with his viewing choices. We like many games from tabletop. Gloom and fluxx are nice games that just require cards that were pretty easy to learn. Both were played on Tabletop.

Tabletop!? Wil Wheaton!? Squee! :001_wub: Tabletop is definitely rated PG-13+. My 12 year old has watched most episodes, but his personality allows us to be more liberal with his viewing choices. We like many games from tabletop. Gloom and fluxx are nice games that just require cards that were pretty easy to learn. Both were played on Tabletop.

We watched the first few episodes with are kids (age 7 and 8). But then after the first few episodes it started getting 13+, then it got ruder and we all stopped watching.

What about Dutch Blitz? If you have a regular deck of cards/ person, you could play with lots of people around a large table. Just remove the face cards first. We used to play this with 8-10 people. The first person to get out quietly touches her nose (or puts a thumb in the air or something similar that's quiet). As each person notices the first person touching her nose, he/she stops playing and also touches his/her nose. The last person to touch her nose is out or loses. It's a game of paying attention not only to your own stuff, but also to the people around you.

A couple of other games that require a little more space are Ninja, Knot (where everyone grabs someone else's hand across from them and they have to untangle the "knot"), or Sardines (One person goes and hides and as the other people find him, they hide in the same place. First one to find the person is the next person to hide. This gets fun when the hiding place is small, but there are lots of kids trying to fit in it.)

Loaded Questions is good for a group of 5 or 6. Pit is good for a larger group.

The questions in Loaded Questions are usually pretty safe. Questions like, "What super power would you want to have." A couple of times we ran into a question that we didn't want to answer, so we just drew another card.

We watched the first few episodes with are kids (age 7 and 8). But then after the first few episodes it started getting 13+, then it got ruder and we all stopped watching.

My 8 year old does not watch Tabletop without a pre screen!

We love this one for groups, and it's free! Just paper and pencils needed. I think it's like the original version of Scattergories:

Divide everyone into teams. It doesn't matter how many teams or how many are on each team, but it's fun to have anywhere from 3-6 people on each team, if possible. Each team gets one piece of paper with a five-by-five grid it, that has five letters written across the top, one letter per column. Five categories -- which can be virtually anything, such as capital cities, authors, bands/singers -- are selected and written down the side of the grid, one per row. (You can set this up ahead of time. Each team's paper will be identical.) Players then have a set time (generally 5 to 20 minutes) to fill their own grid with words that fit each category and that begin with the letter at the top. Teams should separate into different parts of the house so that they can't hear each other. Our goal is usually to try and get at least three words in each square. One person is the designated secretary and fills in the squares as the others shout out words. When time expires, the teams come together. Doing one square at a time, answers are compared. (By one person from each team reading them out loud, so that everyone can hear.) Any time another team has the same word, then that word is crossed out, for any team that has it. At the very end, the team collects a point for each word left uncrossed.

Wow! What an amazing list of games to choose from!

I love the look of the Fluxx games. That might be something the kids would enjoy. I'm sending the entire list home to DS to do the research on and decide. :)

I have to say that I'm really looking forward to hosting our YA Game Day. Usually DS catches a ride with a friend b/c I have to work, but since his bday falls on game day, I thought it would be fun to take the day off so we can host it.

We provide the game and snacks that are only for the teens, and then they join the younger kids for birthday cupcakes to celebrate anyone with a bday that month.

DS has decided we're taking "alpha" salsa (black bean, corn, pico mix) with tortilla chips and chocolate cookies for his snack. LOL

Check your local library, church library, and Goodwill. Ask around with the group to see if anyone has some games their family enjoys.

Party Games:

Dixit

Wise and Otherwise

Wits and Wagers

Balderdash

Pit

Reverse Charades

Faces

Werewolf

Card Games:

Bohnanza

For Sale

Bang!

Saboteur

You can also do a paper version of Telephone. Everyone draws a picture, pass to the left, the next person folds the paper and writes what he thinks the picture is, pass to the left, the next person can't see the original picture--she draws what the last person wrote, fold and pass to the left, repeat until you reach the end of the paper, then go around and see how the message changed. It can get kind of crazy.

Reverse charades doesn't need cards if you make your own. Reverse charades has 2 teams. 2-3 people act out previously written cards while the rest of their group try to guess. You see how many cards you can get through during a set time. The team with the higher score wins.

You can probably find instructions for Werewolf online. Its a role playing game, where certain people fill certain roles (werewolf, villagers, seer, etc.). The group tries to figure out who the werewolf is and performs vigilante justice each round after the werewolves take out someone. Lots of trash talk and an interesting look at mob psychology. It does need a narrator to coordinate things, a colorful person can make it more interesting.

There are also many games that can be done with a deck (or 2-3 decks) of cards. Golf, spades, hearts, euchre, crazy 8s, dutch blitz, hand and foot...lots of things.