Menu

MY DC NEED A PET!! Help!! Need dog breed/pet favorites

I am soliciting your opinion of the best dog breeds - or alternative pet.

This is so unbelievably complicated for us!!! I've scoured the web and read everything out there on the breeds, I've talked to our animal shelter, I recently attended a kennel show (where I was told I was asking for the moon), so I'm no where.

Here's the problem:

1. Must be good with kids - obviously

2. Must be portable - we travel south for 2-3 months in the winter, so dog or pet must be a good travel buddy.

3. Must not constantly bark - I can't handle that!

4. Prefer a low shedder - I'm too busy for the extra cleaning!

5. Must be able to get the critter to us - we live is small town in AK with limited pet sources...are there mail order dogs/pets? Is it okay to buy a dog long-distance sight unseen? I suppose I could travel to go pick him up, but it's a big expense to just go check one out.

6. Finally, not a huge requirement but does worry me that we share our hillside with occasional bald eagles, they stay up pretty high, but I'm worried a small dog might be a tempting morsel. I think it'd be a pretty small risk.

7. Must be cuddly - rules out fish

Is there such a pet out there :confused1: ?

In the mean time we've become a foster family to a mama kitty and her 4 2 week old kittens that we borrowed from our animal shelter. My dh hates, let me repeat that HATES, felines but he finally gave in and agreed to the temporary situation. I'm very concerned as dd has now named them all and is becoming very attached in spite of my daily reminding that this is TEMPORARY. I AM SO IN TROUBLE HERE!!! :ohmy: WE NEED A REPLACEMENT AND QUICK! :sad:

THANKS FOR ANY IDEAS!

I just think they are the greatest dogs, hands down :D. Great with kids, very smart and eager to learn (trainable), calm (as adults) yet playful, loyal, handsome! I could go on and on... LOL!

I agree with the shelter idea, though, so maybe you could find a lab or lab mix there that needs a home?

A Lab. meets most of your requirements. Best to get from a reliable breeder, though, with paperwork to prove no hip problems in the family line.

Our Lab is 85 lbs and most certainly is cuddly! Ok, he doesn't exactly sit on our laps, but he does get on our couch with us and pretty much lay all over us (my dd let him do this as a pup - now that he is grown we can't shake him of the habit. Just a heads up, there! ;)

Loyal, friendly, can be kid-mauled (within reason) w/o losing his sweet temper - a Lab is great!

Labradoodle/Goldendoodle gets my vote!

We got our doodle last September, and she is everything on your list. Now granted, we got her as a 1-year-old dog, so we didn't have much in the way of puppy shenanigans, but even as a one-year-old, she was far calmer than most labs or golden retrievers I've seen at the same age. She is amazingly smart and easy to train, is tons of fun for the kids to play with, sheds hardly at all, is easy to groom (I have her clipped about twice a year and brush her about every other day) and is more devoted to me than any dog I've ever owned. We travel with her all the time and have never had any problems. She's such a sweet dog to be around that no one ever minds us bringing her along :). I do take her for one two-mile walk every morning; without that exercise, she tends to bounce off the walls a bit. After her walk, however, she's happy to settle down at our feet as we do school.

If the idea of a "designer" dog bothers you (or the price tag is prohibitive - ours was a rescue and, frankly, we probably couldn't have afforded to purchase a Labradoodle from a breeder) then you might consider a standard poodle. I think the things I love most about my dog are probably from the poodle. Standards tend to be super-smart, mellow, non-shedding, and low doggie odor - all qualities I like in a dog. Grooming costs are a little more with a pure-bred poodle than with a Labradoodle, as they'll mat if they're not groomed regularly.

Some reputable breeders do ship their puppies, and yes, you can pick them out online or you can tell the breeder the qualities you're looking for in a pup, and they'll try to match the puppy to your family. Shipping is not inexpensive, as you might imagine, but the puppies seem to weather it just fine.

If you're looking for a smaller dog, then there are many poodle mixes out there that are usually low-shedding, but I don't know much about the smaller poodles' temperament and trainability.

If you're open to a rescue/older dog, you might try searching on Petfinder.com. Most of the rescue organizations that post on Petfinder seem really to try to give as much information as possible about the pets listed in the hopes of finding just the right home for them. They'll often tell you up front if the dog has barking issues, sheds, etc., and I'm sure any of them would be happy to answer questions if you have them. There's also a rescue group specifically for doodles and other poodle-mixes. It's called IDOG.

Good luck in your search, and I hope you find the perfect pet for your family :)

Best,

SBP

My personal favorite is the whippet. They are absolutely fantastic with kids. They have such great temperaments, very friendly (don't make good watch dogs, but I notice that isn't one of your requirements, nor is it one of mine). They also don't shed much at all, and are one of the more popular breeds for people with allergies. The only one of your requirements that might be a problem is the ability to travel -- some whippets are prone to motion sickness (mine was as a pup, but seems to have outgrown it). You said you are in AK -- are you within driving distance of Tulsa, OK by any chance? I know of a *fantastic* whippet breeder in Tulsa, but she will not ship a dog to you (most breeders of good repute will not because it's so traumatic for the dogs). Here's her website: http://www.andauerwhippets.com/

Also, consider a mutt from the shelter! Seriously, they make wonderful pets. As mentioned, sight-hounds are my favorites (Whippet, Saluki, Borzoi, etc.) but dogs in the retriever family also make fantastic pets (Labs, Goldens, etc., though I think shedding maybe more of an issue here?). I wouldn't recommend a dog from the working group (herding dogs, etc.) unless you can put it to work! I've never owned one, but my impression is that they really need that regular exercise and mental stimulation in order to be happy. And I absolutely would avoid terriers. They are too high-strung and head-strong to be good pets for children, in my experience.

We love our yellow lab! He is all these things you mention. He does shed though in the spring but it is only really bad for a month or two and then it dies down. Ds9 and dh are both allergic to long haired dogs and the shedding is minimal and does not bother them.

He loves to travel, does not bark much (I wish he would bark more), very good with kids, and all around cuddly. I am not sure if you could get one in Alaska though.

Good luck!

My two recommendations are a Pug or a Smooth Coated Collie.

Pugs think they're people and are so people friendly and willing to please. This makes them easy to train and good with children. They have medium hair and just need a quick brush every once in a while. They are a smaller dog, but are not frail at all. Very sturdy and love to play.

Our Bobo (the Pug) lived to be 12. He was a wonderful dog. His most annoying habit was sneaking up on you while you watch tv. He would sneak close and be sent away. He'd sneak up again and be caught and sent away. Finally he would manage to sneak up and sneeze all over your snack. Of course noone wanted it after he sneezed on it, so it was all his. I loved that dog.

Smooth coated collies are good too. Very calm natured and quiet unless there's a reason to get excited. Smooth coated collie's have shorter hair and don't require the grooming that rough coated(long haired) collies do. They are also very smart and eager to please.

Our current dog, Hardy, is a smooth coated collie. He's good with the children, only barks when a stranger comes up, and wouldn't hurt anyone. He's also good with other animals, including our chickens. He barks at them like he wants to eat them and they steal his food, drink out of his waterbowl, walk between his feet, and in general get away with anything.

I would be careful about getting a border collie. Herding type dogs can tend to be nippy with children. That's their job, to nip things into line. These are not couch potato dogs. They are super smart and you need to make sure they have lots to do or they will get in trouble.

Either choice, I would get from a reputable breeder. Pugs you need to check their noses/soft palate and collies check their eyes and hips.

Melinda S in TX

is a Bichon. We are looking at one. Do some research on breeds.

On Border Collies (5)... my dad thinks they are the greatest dog in the world. Very intelligent. But if they are bored they can be trouble/unhappy. Make sure you read about what ever dog you are getting. When we go visit them on the farm, they want to herd and keep everyone in sight. We sort of stress them out since we have 7 kids. good luck.

Cheri

and she's perfect for us! My dd researched the breed carefully. Our bichon is a therapy dog with dd. They're a great team. "And a good family dog.

She would meet all your requirements except maybe one of the most important. She is small, and very easily could look tasty to a large bird. And her coat is white which I know from living in the country is bad. (makes them stand our; white kittens never lived on our farm because of birds) So if you consider a Bichon, I'd encourage you to evaluate how real the predator threat might be.

Good luck choosing your new family member.

We have a Great Dane and she's great! If you're a large dog person, you can't go wrong with these wonderful dogs! They're low maintenance, definitely attention hogs, and they hardly shed. You would have to be open to sharing your bed and possibly your lap. She was housetrained in about a week. I've never seen a dog so sweet. She's great with kids and big enough for me to feel safe.

We also had a St. Bernard that recently passed away and she was great but.......shedding is a definite problem.

Good luck with your search. YOu might could spend some time at the shelter with different breeds. Sometimes "mutts" are best.

melissa

a lot! How about a poodle? You can choose your size: tiny (teacup ~ sounds like a problem with the eagles);small (toy); medium (miniature); large (standard). We have a standard poodle that we love. We also have a mutt that we got from the Humane Society. We had the great fortune of getting him already house-broken.

I think cats would be your easiest bet at this point--no chance dh would succumb? You can use them as a testing ground for a dog. One or two (I think they are always happier with two), but inside only, outside is totally unfair to a cat, and they have a much shorter lifespan.

If you are looking for a dog, most people will recommend what they have had. Lowest shedders are Bichons and Poodles. I grew up with a miniature poodle, and have known, and do know, several people with poodles and Bichons, the only prob is they can be very nervous, and snappy with kids (poodles more than Bichons). I would never consider buying a dog without spending time with it first.

You think the bald eagles are a low threat, but hawks are known to scoop up small dogs, and I've heard the same of eagles, just not as often.

Years ago, before we got our dogs (who are now our babies, both to me and my dd, and we have 4 cats besides), I had looked into dogs, and several books and breeders as well as trainers told me keeshonds (sp?) were considered THE best dog, temperament wise, for a family. They say they are ideal for kids. Just what I have heard before.

Another thing to consider--if you do go to the local shelter, you will save a ton of money on the dog (buying from a breeder is expensive, and so is shipping). Shipping is also very hard on a puppy. You will know the dog, somewhat, before buying it. And, you will be giving a very worthy animal a loving home it might otherwise not have. Plus, health wise and temperament wise, mutts are often the best--purebreds often have more probs, due to past inbreeding, and purer (is that a word?), or more pure lines (genetic diseases, etc.).

Whatever you decide, good luck. You are about to bring in a friend you will love more than any of you can imagine right now :).

Just agreeing with the poster who said, "Labs shed". They shed a lot! But we have loved our labs! They are great dogs and fit all your other requirements. If you brush them daily, it really cuts down on the hair.

Also agreeing with the poodle mix suggestion. We have a cockapoo and she is a sweetheart. She has to be groomed regularly or her hair gets out of control, but I usually do it myself. When I do take her to a groomer, or the vet, they always comment on how sweet she is. They can be smaller though, like a miniature poodle, but also can be more of a cocker size. Ours is somewhere in the middle.

I would also agree with not getting a dog without spending time with it. I think when choosing a family pet, it is important to consider the personality not only of your family, but of the dog you are considering. Just like people, animals have personalities and it is important that your pet meshes with your family.

And lastly, I agree with the shelter pet idea. These animals can make great pets! Good luck with your decision.

Unfortunately, family friendliness seems to be invertedly proportional to shedding when it comes to dogs!:lol: (I am kidding of course). But I vote for a lab. You just can't beat a lab or a golden retriever. Best family dogs ever made.

I do like border collies, as someone mentioned, but they need a job. They are true "working" dogs so if you have a small flock of sheep it would be a great choice, if you don't, I would not do it.

If you can't afford the extra time to clean up dog hair ( you mentioned in your post that this was the reason you didn't want a dog which sheds), then I'm not sure you would really want a dog. Because we got a chocolate lab for our kids two or three weeks ago, and believe me, cleaning hair is the least of the time consumers connected with caring for this dog. Cleaning up urine and excrement, making sure the dog doesn't chew up things other than her chewy toys, making sure she has enough food and water (when she keeps spilling it), making sure she gets enough exercise, and training her have added a lot of extra work to my day. Not to mention that she also needs to be bathed and groomed occasionally.

Also, dogs are very different from cats. Even puppies who are good with kids (labs) often express their playfulness and energy in ways that can be intimidating to some children. For example, my kids are afraid of the dog's chasing them and especially of her jumping up on them.

I think the best way to figure out if a pet is the right fit is to be able to care for that kind of pet for awhile. So, since you've had this opportunity with cats, and your dd loves cats, if you could get your dh to agree, maybe you could get some cats? This wasn't an option for us as dh is extremely allergic to cats, but if he weren't, I think cats are less work than dogs. It's just an opinion, though. Good luck in your choices!

I agree with a lab. Ours tolerates the unintentional harshness of the little ones and is an awesome companion to them all. This is our second lab and we wouldn't choose any other breed for a family dog. I believe they would meet your requirements. The only thing to remember is that they are puppies longer than some other breeds. You could check the shelter to see if by chance there is an older lab already past the puppy stage. HTH!

We love our dog. He is 1/2 yellow lab/ 1/2 golden retriever. He is such a gentle, loving dog. He had a lot of energy when he was young but was always great with the kids. We got him when my ds was only 5 months and the two others were 3 and 6 so he is very gentle with them. You can even bother him when he is eating and he doesn't care. His bowl is in our laundry room and I can't open our dryer if he is by his bowl so all I have to say is "excuse me" and he'll move over. He is 10 so I'm hoping we still have a least a few years left with him.

Don't get a Basset hound! After getting out Basset mix I found out the hard way that it takes a very special person to own one.

And I love them but you are completely right that they are "special dogs" and not everyone can own them. In fact that's how come we had three. We purchased our first two from a breeder and then people would phone us "would you like another basset hound, we can't keep it".

Our Bernese Mountain dogs kind of fit the same category. Beautiful, loyal dogs . . . but they're not a golden retriever. Not everyone would appreciate their "quirkiness".

Our golden retriever mutt has probably been our best family pet. She sticks to the kids like glue. Does everything she can to please us. Good dog. She is 13 yrs old. We will probably get a chocolate lab next.

Another vote for a Lab! They are the best family dogs.

As for shedding...I have two labs and one sheds a lot and the other hardly at all. Go figure. The one that does not shed a lot is a full breed from a breeder....with great papers and family history. The lab who sheds all over the place is from a lab rescue and there is no record of his bloodline.

Oh, I also recommend getting a lab that is at least 3 years old and mostly past the puppy stage. Lab puppies are a lot of work!

They are great dogs though. Learn super fast, easily trained, and so gentle.

I am soliciting your opinion of the best dog breeds - or alternative pet.

This is so unbelievably complicated for us!!! I've scoured the web and read everything out there on the breeds, I've talked to our animal shelter, I recently attended a kennel show (where I was told I was asking for the moon), so I'm no where.

Here's the problem:

1. Must be good with kids - obviously

2. Must be portable - we travel south for 2-3 months in the winter, so dog or pet must be a good travel buddy.

3. Must not constantly bark - I can't handle that!

4. Prefer a low shedder - I'm too busy for the extra cleaning!

5. Must be able to get the critter to us - we live is small town in AK with limited pet sources...are there mail order dogs/pets? Is it okay to buy a dog long-distance sight unseen? I suppose I could travel to go pick him up, but it's a big expense to just go check one out.

6. Finally, not a huge requirement but does worry me that we share our hillside with occasional bald eagles, they stay up pretty high, but I'm worried a small dog might be a tempting morsel. I think it'd be a pretty small risk.

7. Must be cuddly - rules out fish

Is there such a pet out there :confused1: ?

In the mean time we've become a foster family to a mama kitty and her 4 2 week old kittens that we borrowed from our animal shelter. My dh hates, let me repeat that HATES, felines but he finally gave in and agreed to the temporary situation. I'm very concerned as dd has now named them all and is becoming very attached in spite of my daily reminding that this is TEMPORARY. I AM SO IN TROUBLE HERE!!! :ohmy: WE NEED A REPLACEMENT AND QUICK! :sad:

THANKS FOR ANY IDEAS!

I've had good success with getting both a 3 year-old rescue dog and a 4 month old pup sight unseen. But the secret to this is knowing what you want and need and good communications. (One thing you haven't mentioned in your list is how much self discipline do you have to train the dog and how much experience do you have with dogs.)

Volunteers working in dog rescue are generally very concerned about getting a dog placed properly the first time. I think though the best chance for a good placement occurs when the dog has been in a volunteer's home for a period of time so the volunteer has a better reading on the dog's personality. But be willing to drill the volunteer on what sort of conditions did the dog come from, what sort bad behaviors does it show (fearful?, food protective, etc), and it's training. Are you willing to work through any baggage the dog may bring with him? (the rescue group will often help with that also. Some adopted dogs tend to runaway and get lost. Find out now.

If you want a pup from a distant breeder, get on a mailing list for the breed. Listen to what people have to say about the breed and the breeders. Interview several breeders. Find out what they breed for. You don't want a dog whose breeder breeds primarily for AKC ribbons. Do they want to interview you as for your suitability? Will they select the pup for you or over rule your choice if they think the personality match is bad?

Unfortunately what I recommend takes time -- after you've narrowed down to the breed.

As far as shedding goes, I don't care for the short hair dogs because their hair gets woven into to my uphostered furniture (rough textured upholstry) and is hard to remove. The sweeper gets the longer hairs out more easily. Long haired dogs like a rough collie or Shelty requires too much grooming. I prefer coats about 2-3" long that aren't silky fine. I also find a Rumba a blessing for shedding dogs. Also color coordinate your dog to your carpet :)

As far as the barking is concerned, I find the smaller dogs tend to bark more. However teaching your dog "No Bark" is essential for almost any breed. If you're close to them, grab them by the ruff and give the command. At a distance, squirt them with a squirt gun. If they ignore you, send them to their crate! But if you're kids are rough housing with them, they're going to bark -- send 'em ALL outside.

Labs are the tops with kids but unless you get one that is mixed with another small kid friendly do you are stuck with a big honking dog! But they are so worth it. Smart, sweet tempered, certainly able to be crawled, mauled and pulled on repeatedly!! they love to be petted and will lay in your lap for hours. Oh, yeah, they dig holes in hot climate. it is craterville in my flower garden. Nothing beats a child with a puppy!! Female do tend to be a little smaller.

If I were you, I'd just go to the animal shelter and spend some time with the dogs until you find one tha you really like, then trade in the cats (or not) for the dog.

I think in your circumstances, it would be a real mistake to commit to a dog sight unseen.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: :iagree::iagree:!!!!

We needed an inside/outside dog that could play vigorously with the children, be inside, survive in a city-sized yard, cuddle on the furniture, and not have a lot of health issues that often come with a "breed" dog.

Rat terriers can take a lot of stimulation, are good guard dogs (will bark like mad when someone comes around, but they settle down pretty quickly), love to play, have short hair, and have not been over-bred, so they tend to be a very hardy breed. They can also live for 15 years.

Ours is a beautiful black and white version with a lean body line and long legs. At 3 years old, he is about 15lbs.

We are enjoying our second full-blooded female yellow lab named Jordan. She is a little bigger than our first, but LOVING. Our first lab was a "lap sitter". Honestly, labs are sooo silly sometimes. Golden Retrievers also.

I haven't looked to see if "SOPH, the vet with no pet" replied. I'm sure that would be a good suggestion.

HTH. Sheryl

PS...they do shed as they have fur. A no shedding dog would be one with actual hair. I think that's right.

The more you comb out the hair, the less shedding.

What is an ACD? I cannot figure it out and it's driving me bonkers! :lol:

Australian Cattle Dog, a short haired dog. I understand they're a handful even for people used to the other working, herding breeds (IOW, the herding breeds still bred for actual farm and ranch work)

Australian Cattle Dog, a short haired dog. I understand they're a handful even for people used to the other working, herding breeds (IOW, the herding breeds still bred for actual farm and ranch work)

Thanks! I didn't even think, "Oh, of course!" when I read your answer - never would have gotten that one.

We needed an inside/outside dog that could play vigorously with the children, be inside, survive in a city-sized yard, cuddle on the furniture, and not have a lot of health issues that often come with a "breed" dog.

Rat terriers can take a lot of stimulation, are good guard dogs (will bark like mad when someone comes around, but they settle down pretty quickly), love to play, have short hair, and have not been over-bred, so they tend to be a very hardy breed. They can also live for 15 years.

Ours is a beautiful black and white version with a lean body line and long legs. At 3 years old, he is about 15lbs.

I had a rat terrier/manchester terrier mix growing up. I loved that dog. She had all the great characteristics you mentioned. But in the interest of full disclosure, she was difficult to train (house broken only), climbed fences to escape, hyper until she was old, would dig and would nip strangers.

So what do I have now in a small townhouse without a fenced yard instead of another terrier? One of those working herding breeds that everyone is warning the OP against. And our pup's sire is a working ranch dog! Rat terriers are cute, but they're also a handful.

BTW, I'm not willing to recommend a working, herding breed to a new owner or an owner not able to establish dominance over the dog. They can be great dogs, but if you aren't the boss, they'll become the boss. And they're bossy dogs. And they require lots of excercise.

Had a German shepherd/lab mix before her, but find the sheltie more intelligent. Or maybe she's just more eager to please than the shep/lab. She's also a surprisingly good watch dog -- wary of strangers, but not agressive with them. She barks but will not go near them.

She does shed, but we trained her to observe boundaries. (In the house, she's only allowed in kitchen/great room area, so I don't have dog hair throughout the entire house.) And then there's the little rule about days when son #1 doesn't brush her, he gets to vacuum. :)