Menu

Where do PS kids go on spring break?

Woodhaven

It feels odd that although the schools in my area are all on spring break, there are no children to be seen or heard in the neighborhood. I know there are a LOT of children in this area. I see them in the summer and weekends.

That just left me wondering where they might be. I'm so out of the "loop"!!

The theater was crowded yesterday with kids. We're use to it being practically empty during school hours. The mall was teeming with teens when I dropped off my dd and her cousin. I've seen some random boys skate boarding in front of my house. Maybe the people around me can't afford vacations or camps?

My nieces came here this week from FL. There have been a lot of kids at the zoo, pizza/games place, and so on this week, even though the local PS isn't on break, so I've guessing we have other out of town kids, too. I know a couple of weeks ago, when PS was on break, a lot of DD's friends traveled somewhere, so I'm guessing it's a migration :)

OK, that makes sense. My family never had any money growing up, so we never went anywhere during breaks. Either they didn't have Day Camps back then, or it was the money thing again. That must be it - everyone is out of town, or at day camps!! I kept checking and rechecking and, yes, PS IS out on break this week.

My boys are the only ones outside playing on their scooters. I had thought they might meet up with some neighbor kids. But then, we don't really know our neighbors. That's kind of sad, I think. Everyone is so busy around here.

Around here, the library is a big destination for kids out of school. Yes, people do the whole day camp thing or vacations (actually my daughter is in a theatre camp this week that was coordinated with PS spring break), but the libraries are teeming with kids. For some reason, people here consider the library to be free daycare.

Yes, here it's FL, crusies, one of dds' friends went to Ireland for Easter with family, and another went to France. (And I realize that is not typical. But that's what the kids we know are doing. Our nieghbors rented a saildboat with their 2 kids and are in the Carribean.)

As for FL, a friend of mine who lives near Tampa went to MK Tuesday, and they had to leave it was so crowded. They don't have kids, and forgot about Spring Break. It was a record-breaking crowd. They went home to their own pool. lol

My own kids spent (college) Spring Break at home together, and I am away with dh. My sister is hosting Easter, so yeah me. lol

When our kids were little and the oldest were in school, we often did 'staycations';. We'd do day trips to various museums, cities, or whatnot, and sometimes a night at a local hotel with a wave pool.

Unless you are a compulsive gambler, Vegas is one of the cheapest vacations one can take. The hotel deals are incredible, the drinks and sodas are free, and spending time by the pools and in the sun is a wonderful break from a harsh winter. I've never taken a child to Vegas, but if I did, I would stay at the Bellagio, and never leave the property. The Circe de Soliel is there, and there is a lot of fun family time to be had. Leaving the hotel is a dicey proposition, visually. Lots of ads for call girls and even paintings of half naked women on the sides of vans. But my kids love Cirque...and pools, and awesome food. We once went to Vegas and made money. We are NOT gamblers, but got lucky. We walked about from the Craps table with enough to pay our hotel, food, a poolside massage, and deposited the rest in the ATM.

Not everyones' cup of tea, obviously. lol

Our neighbor takes their child to Vegas. They often go even for a weekend. I wonder how they can afford that, but it really is none of my business so it is more of a passing wondering.

Our area is in a terrible economic decline and incomes are low for most families. These kids aren't going on vacation anywhere. Their parents are going to work and they are staying home. If they are too young to stay home alone, then they go to daycare. The local district had a large contingency of parents lobby to not have spring break this year due to childcare costs...cheaper to only pay for after school care. There just isn't any money to go anywhere or take time off work, and their budgets already are taxed all summer long when they pay full day care. My guess is some of the teens will make a few bucks babysitting for their neighbors.

Faith

It's not sad that families go away together on vacation. If one is able to afford it, It's quite lovely to share that time together without distractions.

OK, that makes sense. My family never had any money growing up, so we never went anywhere during breaks. Either they didn't have Day Camps back then, or it was the money thing again. That must be it - everyone is out of town, or at day camps!! I kept checking and rechecking and, yes, PS IS out on break this week.

My boys are the only ones outside playing on their scooters. I had thought they might meet up with some neighbor kids. But then, we don't really know our neighbors. That's kind of sad, I think. Everyone is so busy around here.

The library has been plenty busy around here last week (some schools where out last week) My PS nieces/nephews start break tomorrow and will be with me all week. Otherwise we would not be taking a break. Many children of working parents will be at camps or with relatives, I don't think taking vacations is the norm for everyone.

Everyone takes off on vacation around here. Two big reasons: 1) all kid activities (sports teams, etc) are on hiatus so you won't miss anything. 2) Typically there are still 2 more months of rain left (though this March has been nicer than the last several years) and people need to get away to some warm, dry place to gear up for the rest of the rainy season. We just spent a couple of days in Seattle because that was a lot cheaper than the warm, dry places. We thought we would be pretty cold and wet, but we lucked out and had 3 lovely days there (lovely=dry, high 50's).

here in my area it's always, always, Disney or the Beach, specifically Destin or Panama city Beach. Not to many around here think outside the box.

Could be for financial reasons. We've gone to Orlando because there are so many inexpensive/less expensive housing options. I've been known to sit by the pool with wine & a book, while the kids and dh do 'fun' things. That's right, lol, I've been to Orlando multiple times without doing parks. ;)

It could account for why kids in the OP's neighborhood were not out on scooters. :) I remember taking the kids to the movies, for Chinese buffet (which I hate) etc.,during 'staycations'.

The theater was crowded yesterday with kids. We're use to it being practically empty during school hours. The mall was teeming with teens when I dropped off my dd and her cousin. I've seen some random boys skate boarding in front of my house. Maybe the people around me can't afford vacations or camps?

I think she meant it's sad that they don't really know their neighbors/neighborhood kids.

Oh. I didn't read it that way. Sorry.

So many hsers are frustrated by neighborhood kids, so this perhaps the OP has it better than she realizes. Is there a hs group near you? Most of my dds closest friends are hsers.

Our friends in NY have spring break next week, same as Dd, so they're coming here to visit. I HOPE it warms up enough to push all 5 kids outside so the neighbors don't wonder where all of the kids go on spring break :-D

The older high schoolers do their big Junior or Senior trips during spring break. I'm guessing some people vacation or visit family. It's nice to get a change of scenery and break up the year before pushing through that last quarter.

I actually went to a weekend beach workshop just last weekend, but it was FREEZING in Ocean City MD.

Unless you are a compulsive gambler, Vegas is one of the cheapest vacations one can take. The hotel deals are incredible, the drinks and sodas are free, and spending time by the pools and in the sun is a wonderful break from a harsh winter. I've never taken a child to Vegas, but if I did, I would stay at the Bellagio, and never leave the property. The Circe de Soliel is there, and there is a lot of fun family time to be had. Leaving the hotel is a dicey proposition, visually. Lots of ads for call girls and even paintings of half naked women on the sides of vans. But my kids love Cirque...and pools, and awesome food. We once went to Vegas and made money. We are NOT gamblers, but got lucky. We walked about from the Craps table with enough to pay our hotel, food, a poolside massage, and deposited the rest in the ATM.

Not everyones' cup of tea, obviously. lol

I've been to Vegas once and I suppose unless you stay in your hotel, I would not take a child. We stayed at the Hilton and the hotel across the street had an enormous marquee advertising er....the type of female shows they had. I walked down the Strip (dh was at a trade show) and I was so uncomfortable with all the blatant stuff going on. Definitely not a family atmosphere.

I agree. My kids are older, so no longer an issue, but if dh had had a conference there or the like, I would have checked us into the Belliagio, seen a show, gone swimming, eaten good food, watched movies & played Bananagrams in the hotel room, and walked around the indoor shopping areas. I probably would have blindfolded them (depending on age) for the cab ride to and from the hotel. ;)

I've been to Vegas once and I suppose unless you stay in your hotel, I would not take a child. We stayed at the Hilton and the hotel across the street had an enormous marquee advertising er....the type of female shows they had. I walked down the Strip (dh was at a trade show) and I was so uncomfortable with all the blatant stuff going on. Definitely not a family atmosphere.