Menu

Is this a crazy idea? (pre-school)

So next year I'm starting K for my oldest DD. I also have insanely active twin boys turning 3 in November. I'm thinking of sending them to preschool 2x a week so I can have some time to focus on DD. there's a suitable school with a reasonable price about 20 mins away. There's a library nearby where we could work so we wouldn't need to go home. I'm sure the boys would love it.

My hope is that I would be able to introduce academic work in a more positive way. Right now when I try to do anything with her I spend most of the time running around trying to keep the boys from destroying things or killing each other, so I end up pretty frazzled and she ends up frustrated.

I'm considering doing this for my crazy almost 3 year old twin boys. ;) Mine turn 3 early next month. I've actually decided I think I'm going to look for a mother's helper for 6 hrs or so a week. It would be 3 hrs 3 days and my mom comes once a week too. So, 3 days total of help. This time will be when I school the other kids (1st and K right now, 2nd and continuing K next year) and the helper spends time playing with the twins. Also, I'll probably send my older twins in to play too when they are done so I can focus on the older only.

I decided that getting them to and from would be more stressful and in the end, wouldn't allow me as much time as I might think because of the travel and getting ready. Also, I do strongly prefer my kids be home. I have 6 kids though, all 7 and under. Getting ready to get out the door takes a while. ;) Even though I'm pretty sure I've decided against doing this, I still think it's a great idea.

I will say, I have 2 sets of twins. You definitely can do K with 3 year old twins around. I did it last year. My oldest was 5 turning 6 doing K and I had twins who were 3 turning 4 and twins who1 turning 2. (Plus, I was pregnant. LOL!) I'm not saying you *should* have them home or anything like that. Just telling you that if you would rather not send them, it's possible to make it work.

Good luck!

Fwiw, my ds was really fun at 3 and just ready to do games with. I wouldn't send 'em away. You're only crazy once, and K5 is only an hour a day. Buy audiobooks and sit and all play. It will actually take longer to drive them to preschool and back than it does to get K5 done.

I did. I sent the oldest when he was 4 so I'd have time with my then 2 1/2 year old. Then I sent my youngest when he was 3 1/2 yo so I'd have 1:1 time with my K'er. Now I have them both home, but I'm so thankful I had that opportunity. They only went 2 1/2 hours 2x a week, but it made a world of difference for me.

I know people who have done it, and I can definitely see the appeal. Next year, I will have a 5yo (may or may not be a kindergartener), a 2yo, and an infant; it's definitely going to be hectic around here. I can't afford preschool, and I live too far away from anywhere to make it feasible, but I do understand why people do it, and for some people, it might make sense.

I would wonder if older will get much done at the library? Lots of distractions, even during "school hours", at least at ours here (baby story time and the like).

I had similar issues with my 3yo twins (will be 4 at the end of the year) and do you know what resolved it?

Getting a classroom.....

Before we were at the kitchen table (eat in kitchen, open to family room) and the twins had access to EVERYTHING. Now after breakfast, we all clean up and brush teeth and head "to class". Shut the door and off to work we go. The twins are focused (they color during read alouds, 1st thing). Then older 2 start some indep work while I am close enough to answer questions, but I am at the small table reading with the 3yos and doing LOTW activities and colors and shapes and crafts related to the books I am reading (The froggy series right now). Then they go onto abcmouse.com (we have a desktop computer station plus a laptop) while I help the older 2 with spelling, math, etc....

It is AWESOME!

We only leave for bathroom/water breaks...snacks are non messy things in workbox drawers.

What it taught me was that an enclosed space is a GOOD THING. I have several bins full of "tot bags" I can pull from, files of activities to keep them busy, puzzles, coloring paper, everything is in reach. Before I had to get up and GO GET stuff from the storage closet or the other room...which equals time for little ones to get distracted or run off and find something else to do...

I was totally panicked about how I was going to continue with the 3yos, but they have settled into a routine after 2 weeks. DS9 is now ramping up in several subjects and I need more time for him, so this has really helped.

Just an idea as I had no idea it would help SO MUCH.... seriously I was shocked in the difference....

I'm wishing I could send my almost 3-year-old to preschool next year. He has made kindergarten VERY difficult this year and he isn't showing any signs of letting up any time soon. Unfortunately for us, we're building a house and chose to have the cabinets we really, really wanted rather than the funds to send ds to preschool. So I brought this on myself, but hopefully my beautiful cabinets will outlast his difficult preschool phase!

Anyway, I would definitely do it if I could. A mother's helper sounds even better (I hate packing everyone up to leave the house). Sometimes you can find a homeschooled teen looking for a little spending money.

I'm considering doing this for my crazy almost 3 year old twin boys. ;) Mine turn 3 early next month. I've actually decided I think I'm going to look for a mother's helper for 6 hrs or so a week. It would be 3 hrs 3 days and my mom comes once a week too. So, 3 days total of help. This time will be when I school the other kids (1st and K right now, 2nd and continuing K next year) and the helper spends time playing with the twins. Also, I'll probably send my older twins in to play too when they are done so I can focus on the older only.

I decided that getting them to and from would be more stressful and in the end, wouldn't allow me as much time as I might think because of the travel and getting ready. Also, I do strongly prefer my kids be home. I have 6 kids though, all 7 and under. Getting ready to get out the door takes a while. ;) Even though I'm pretty sure I've decided against doing this, I still think it's a great idea.

I will say, I have 2 sets of twins. You definitely can do K with 3 year old twins around. I did it last year. My oldest was 5 turning 6 doing K and I had twins who were 3 turning 4 and twins who1 turning 2. (Plus, I was pregnant. LOL!) I'm not saying you *should* have them home or anything like that. Just telling you that if you would rather not send them, it's possible to make it work.

Good luck!

I can't even imagine! How did you do that? I can barely get breakfast with one set!

I would wonder if older will get much done at the library? Lots of distractions, even during "school hours", at least at ours here (baby story time and the like).

I had similar issues with my 3yo twins (will be 4 at the end of the year) and do you know what resolved it?

Getting a classroom.....

Before we were at the kitchen table (eat in kitchen, open to family room) and the twins had access to EVERYTHING. Now after breakfast, we all clean up and brush teeth and head "to class". Shut the door and off to work we go. The twins are focused (they color during read alouds, 1st thing). Then older 2 start some indep work while I am close enough to answer questions, but I am at the small table reading with the 3yos and doing LOTW activities and colors and shapes and crafts related to the books I am reading (The froggy series right now). Then they go onto abcmouse.com (we have a desktop computer station plus a laptop) while I help the older 2 with spelling, math, etc....

It is AWESOME!

We only leave for bathroom/water breaks...snacks are non messy things in workbox drawers.

What it taught me was that an enclosed space is a GOOD THING. I have several bins full of "tot bags" I can pull from, files of activities to keep them busy, puzzles, coloring paper, everything is in reach. Before I had to get up and GO GET stuff from the storage closet or the other room...which equals time for little ones to get distracted or run off and find something else to do...

I was totally panicked about how I was going to continue with the 3yos, but they have settled into a routine after 2 weeks. DS9 is now ramping up in several subjects and I need more time for him, so this has really helped.

Just an idea as I had no idea it would help SO MUCH.... seriously I was shocked in the difference....

Unfortunately I have no space for an enclosed classroom my house is 1100 sqft and the only enclosed rooms are the tiny bedrooms. Which are occupied and couldn't hold us all anyhow. Plus I can't settle DD into something independent at all. She can't read any directions and has a low threshold for frustration. Either she does a worksheet in 4 seconds and needs me to tell her how to do the next one, or she needs coaching through the work it seems.

I had a friend do this last year and she said the library (VERY small one) is dead on tues/thurs. I think a library would hold fewer distractions than a house full of toys (to distract her) and chores (to distract me)

One worry would be the number of germs the little guys would bring home. Would the cost of preschool come out about the same as a mother's helper?

The cost is about half what a sitter would be. No mothers helpers during the school day, the oldest homeschooled child I know is 7. Also we so enough McD play place and indoor playground in winter that we're getting germ exposure.

All of my kids went/go to preschool. I think it's a great experience for them. And it gives me time to regroup and organize myself, and to spend quiet time working with my oldest. I had hoped to use the time for more field trips, but the timing of preschool doesn't really work for that.

TBH, people homeschool for different reasons. Some because they think that "outsourcing" parenting is a bad idea, some just for academic reasons. My reasons are purely academic. I outsource as much as I can, LOL! My 4yo goes 5 days a week, and my 2yo goes 3 days a week. They both love school, and come home with so many art projects and having done great activities and stories and friends. It's amazing the one near you has swimming! I'd love that!

All of my kids went/go to preschool. I think it's a great experience for them. And it gives me time to regroup and organize myself, and to spend quiet time working with my oldest. I had hoped to use the time for more field trips, but the timing of preschool doesn't really work for that.

TBH, people homeschool for different reasons. Some because they think that "outsourcing" parenting is a bad idea, some just for academic reasons. My reasons are purely academic. I outsource as much as I can, LOL! My 4yo goes 5 days a week, and my 2yo goes 3 days a week. They both love school, and come home with so many art projects and having done great activities and stories and friends. It's amazing the one near you has swimming! I'd love that!

Yeah I'm pretty much with you on the outsourcing. I need all the help I can get with this gig! Besides, it's 5 hrs/wk for a few months out of their whole lives. It's not as if I won't get any parenting time! I'm planning to call today to get some details and see about signing them up.

I sent my Older two to preschool 3 mornings a week for 3 hours....they loved it. Crafts, new toys, other kids and a huge playground they played in for an hour every day. It was cheap too...$60 a term.

I'm not sure I will be sending my current 3 yo though. He has severe separation anxiety which the other two never had. He doesn't tolerate change well either .... We are moving in a few weeks and his potty training has regressed despite being accident free for a year.

You know your kids best..if they will love it then send them. If I had two of my own 3yo they would be going to(well at least one of them Anyway lol) It's not like it is all day daycare...it's a few hours a week.

My kids were no more sick when they were in school then they are at home. My DH is a school teacher and is always the first to bring sickness into the house.

The preschool includes swimming and gym time. I'm pretty sure I'd get a nap, even.

Well that sounds pretty awesome!

I've sent my lil one to preschool 2x a week (9-12) at age 3 and 4 (this year). It's been good, but she doesn't love it. She's ready to be home with me & sis. I've not seen any increase in our sicknesses -- but I have kept her home any time "something" was "going around."

My dh and I had a long discussion about this. I have a very loud, active, and busy two year old. She makes doing school impossible. However, she isn't at the point of being comfortable being dropped off anywhere. So we agreed that every day, from 7:30-9:30 (when dh leaves for work), she will be his responsibility. They go on bike rides, errands, to the neighborhood park, ect. In that time, my older two (age 5 and 8) do their chores and school. However, dh goes out of town 2-3 weeks out of the month. So for those times, he agreed that I can hire a teen to come play with dd for two hours, twice a week. I also have my mom and mother in law that I can call to come over. So at least I'd still have 3 two hour blocks a week to do school. The sitter will cost $40 a week at $10 an hour, but unfortunately that's life right now. My frugal side is squirming and I have a million other things I'd rather use that for, but it's necessary so that I can provide dd's with a good education.

My 3, now 4, year old does really, really well remaining quiet and out of the way with the Kumon scissor workbooks or paper folding workbooks. But she's a girl. :lol: You could try that for your boys and see if it makes any difference at all.

They would end up cutting out a ladder and using the scissors to climb the walls so they can swing from the lights by their toes. I've had moms of other twin toddler boys express shock at the stuff these two get up to. They are really intense. The only thing that slows them down is screen time, and that leaves them extra crazy afterwards. Several hours of physical activity before lunch is the only way they are half human. It is exhausting, frankly. I think swimming and running around the gym at preschool for a couple hours might be a really good thing.

Oh and my DW is in a training program working 14-16 hrs a day, 6-7 days a week for the next 1.5 years, so she's not a lot of help, day to day. She also leaves for work at 4:30am.

They would end up cutting out a ladder and using the scissors to climb the walls so they can swing from the lights by their toes. I've had moms of other twin toddler boys express shock at the stuff these two get up to. They are really intense. The only thing that slows them down is screen time, and that leaves them extra crazy afterwards. Several hours of physical activity before lunch is the only way they are half human. It is exhausting, frankly. I think swimming and running around the gym at preschool for a couple hours might be a really good thing.

Oh and my DW is in a training program working 14-16 hrs a day, 6-7 days a week for the next 1.5 years, so she's not a lot of help, day to day. She also leaves for work at 4:30am.

Oh my! My brother has twins, but luckily they are pretty tame! I think a pre-school with lots of physical activity sounds like an EXCELLENT option for your boys!!!

I love preschool. They do messy arts and crafts that I believe in philosophically but don't like doing. They practice social skills and make friends that we keep in contact with after we go home. They play outside. They sing songs. They do all sorts of cool things, and it gave me a chance to have a break. My youngest went to one that went till 1 and included lunch, which really made it worthwhile time wise. A good, quality, play based preschool is awesome, I think. I kept my youngest there for her kindergarten year also, because she was thriving.

It really is hard to have littles around during school at times. I understand.

The good thing about having the little ones around is that they do absorb so very, very much from what their older siblings are learning. They would, of course, be having great experiences at preschool, potentially.

One thing to take into consideration is the disruptiveness of the commute toward the family in general. A good question to ask is, "How much time with the load up, drive over, drop-off, drive home, load back up, drive back over, pick up line, drive back home take out of my day?" Another question is "Will I be able to focus when I arrive back home well enough to do school?" Also, it might be helpful to consider the effect on meal time planning and prep. Another question to answer is "How will the stress of getting ready and loading up affect you and the children?" And though this question isn't necessary for everyone, a final question would be about the cost of gas and the cost of convenience foods when commuting affects meal-times.

When I think about the "fun" of preschool and the space it would afford me, I feel positively glowy. But when I think about the stress it would cause to load up my particular kiddos, I get shaky. But that's just me.

Not crazy at all. I've done exactly that these past 2.5 years. DD has attended a wonderful Waldorf preschool 2 minutes down the road from us a few days a week for 2.5 hours each day. It's in someone's home and she only takes 6-7 kids at a time. They do lots of arts and crafts, baking, singing, and gardening and DD absolutely loves it. Having that uninterrupted time to work with DS has been invaluable. It's worked out great for us. Go for it! :)