Menu

Is there a such thing as "gluten lite"?

If gluten is the cause (dairy is probably more likely, IMO), having less gluten may decrease it but probably won't get rid of it. I'd highly recommend going no gluten for at least a month and then maybe experimenting with adding it back in. If it is causing the eczema, it may be causing other problems too, but you probably wouldn't know unless you take it totally out for a while.

For me, when I stopped eating gluten, it took at least a couple weeks for my problems to ease up. Now, as my gut has healed I can eat it a little more without as many negative side effects, but it still takes at least a couple days to get back to 'normal'.

No personal experience with eczema, though, so YMMV (I did have it as a kid, but don't know if it was related to gluten/diary/etc. I just kinda dealt with it).

I have psoriasis (fairly mild), and sugar and gluten both make it far worse. I LC already for PCOS. I am sure I get gluten here and there, but I avoid it. I don't think traces bother me like they might with someone with celiac, but I certainly don't indulge in it.

I agree that I think you'd get more info by committing to cut it out entirely for several weeks, and it can take quite a while to get out of your system. Then evaluate where to go with it from there.

My youngest is celiac and has eczema. Eliminating the gluten helped her overall health, but her eczema didn't improve until we found out what she was allergic to. Specifically soy, apples, and raspberries bother her eczema; mustard makes her twitchy; dairy and gluten hurt her stomach. If you're concerned about allergies, test.

My youngest is celiac and has eczema. Eliminating the gluten helped her overall health, but her eczema didn't improve until we found out what she was allergic to. Specifically soy, apples, and raspberries bother her eczema; mustard makes her twitchy; dairy and gluten hurt her stomach. If you're concerned about allergies, test.

Do they still do all those skin pricks on your back for this? I had that when I was young and it was awful.

I was wondering that too, if it had to be all or nothing. My son is gf and a couple of my daughters are "light" -- they don't really have strong allergy issues or celiac, but they do feel better when they don't have a lot of it, and they really only have it occasionally. Also, I've wondered if something like that Ezekiel bread is better for you if you're going to just go light.

In my experience, it's all or none. Just a little gluten, from cross-contamination(using the same oil for frying chicken nuggets and fries) the use of floured sprays (like Pam), or trace amounts of gluten in salad dressing, etc. causes me trouble.

DS has Dermatitis Herpetiformis and keratosis polaris. The rash and blisters began to clear up within a couple of weeks of going gf. His skin looks and feels so much better. I don't know if he has been glutened or not in the past 8 weeks, he hasn't mentioned it, but the diet he has been following is working well for him. He usually eats the same things I do so I have a pretty good idea of what he is eating.

I do hope you can determine what your DS is allergic to. The guessing game isn't any fun; no fun at all.

Do they still do all those skin pricks on your back for this? I had that when I was young and it was awful.

Yes and yes, it is awful. My older dd was worse about it than the younger one, but they tolerated it better than I did as a child. I think the method has improved a lot over time. We need to take the little one in for more testing because they ran out of room on her tiny back before we tested everything we wanted to. You can also have one of a couple of different types of blood tests - which my older dd needs because she developed anaphylactic allergies to tree nuts, shellfish, and citrus this past year and they don't want to do any skin pricks with her reactions as bad as they are. There are controversies and drawbacks to each method. It is something to discuss with an allergist you trust.

I think that the knowledge of any other allergies is worth the discomfort of the skin pricks. It isn't a fun process, but they do it as fast as they can. If you do a standard set if allergens, all of the little blades are set up in a grid so the scratches happen at one time. I think a lot of the discomfort depends on how strongly he reacts to the allergens. My little guy had it done just before his second birthday, and he did pretty well. I think that the anticipation of what's going to happen makes it worse.

I would acknowledge that it's going to be a really stinky day, plan something fun for the next day, and just get the testing done.

My son also has been dealing with eczema. I am currently researching a gluten free lifestyle for my self and have also come across that eczema can be one of the symptoms. From what I have read it is all or nothing. Not what I wanted to hear but, it is what it is.

they do still do the prick tests. i did (for me) both the prick tests at the allergist and the mail-away tests (blood draw) through ALCAT, which i had to pay for myself. there was a large degree of agreement between them. the alcat covers a lot more foods. and garlic and pepper only showed up on the prick test, not the alcat, and they both affect my breathing. there were, tho, a lot of false positives. i spent years trying foods to see if they bothered me or not (of course this was complicated by the fact that i have so many air-borne allergies i can only really test in new foods in the winter)

You have to find your child's cause for the eczema. My child's is chili pepper. I had listened to all the advice to cut out dairy and gluten etc. with no luck before I realized that what triggers someone else doesn't necessarily trigger me or my child. We did an rotational elimination diet. The rotation part of it helps you to test even the "safe" foods.

It's all or nothing!! And testing is notoriously bad for Celiac's or non-Celiac gluten intolerance. My dd's results were concerning, but not "positive", but our doc still insisted we cut gluten. Whaddaya know, her thyroid issues got immensely better and she stopped puking every night. Cutting it is really the best way to test, but if you cut out gluten, the testing becomes false-negative for Celiac's.

There are enzymes that can help with the cross-contamination issue (DPP-IV is one). Youngest DD has non-celiac gluten intolerance and while the enzymes aren't a license for her to consume gluten, they make it such that I don't have to completely freak out about accidental ingestion of very small quantities.

Instead of the scratch test, there is a RAST test done with a blood draw. You can choose a certain number of things to test with the allergist. You may also want to check tree nuts, soy, and legumes. Peas are in the legume family as well. Once we got rid of those things, my DD's eczema went away. She has a severe peanut allergy as well.

You have to find your child's cause for the eczema. My child's is chili pepper. I had listened to all the advice to cut out dairy and gluten etc. with no luck before I realized that what triggers someone else doesn't necessarily trigger me or my child. We did an rotational elimination diet. The rotation part of it helps you to test even the "safe" foods.

Chili peppers??? That's bad news. Everything in Malaysia has chili peppers in it!

Sigh... Off to call the allergist...

Please test. My son has always suffere from severe eczema.

Through out the years his allergies have increased or the testing is better now. There are a very large batteries oft tests that the doctors can run. Please note that if he has a cross reactive allergy the dust mite one can cause allergies to Port an shellfish...

Yesteray we got the news that we are now working from a list of 54 safe foods and that this can still be reduced further as this is only half of the testing.

Just on the food sice:

Started with intolorances to MSG, THQB, Certain Colourants.

Then we moved on to peanuts (ANA), sesame and tree nuts...

March 2012, we had a list of 20 forbiden foods.

Now we have a list of 54 safe foods for now which can de reduced after all results are in. SO please test allergies are no fun. By the way my son is also now allergic to chilies. Please ask for a IgE count. Any count above 2000 (new guidelines) indicate an underlying auto imunne problem. My sons count were 2200 in 2006, 3300 in 2008, 5600 in 2012 and now on the general test from GP (my previous allergist was stuped and recommended a doctor 1600 mile away) was above 7000. The doctor 1600 away the top allergist in this entire country (South Africa) has moved to Indiana in US doing reserch.

It tooks over six months to find a doctor that would take his case. So please check IgE and if climbing even after special diet it needs to be investigate further. PM me and I will send you info. I have had to fight the doctors here, ctc Unis, talk to professors, send endless e-mails to find a doctor willing to help. Even outside the ANA scenarion other allergies are dangerous, can be progressive and even have long term evastating effects on the body. WIll be praying for your and your child.

P.S. I am in South Africa by the way

I wouldn't start cutting foods out that your child is not allergic to (or otherwise causing problems). This limits his diet unnecessarily and removing something and then reintroducing it can then cause problems. It's my understanding that doctors say it's better to keep them in the diet in small amounts unless there is a reaction to something. So I would see if you can figure it out, but I find allergy testing and advice to be utterly contradictory and frustrating, so I feel for you.

also, eczema can be related to vitamin D, or two airborn pollen. Mine seems to be pollen related, and giving up dairy doesn't fix it, I've been grain free for a month and no improvement, etc. But, sunshine on the effected skin helps a LOT! In fact, the few times I've been sunburned on the areas I get it the eczema almost totally healed up. Go figure! I don't recommend sunburn, but sun exposure might help.

I wouldn't start cutting foods out that your child is not allergic to (or otherwise causing problems). This limits his diet unnecessarily and removing something and then reintroducing it can then cause problems. It's my understanding that doctors say it's better to keep them in the diet in small amounts unless there is a reaction to something. So I would see if you can figure it out, but I find allergy testing and advice to be utterly contradictory and frustrating, so I feel for you.

the reason to take other foods out is to re-introduce them in a month to see if they were making a difference or not. food challenge is more accurate than allergy testing, but allergy testing is a good way to figure out which foods to challenge. just because there are 8 most common allergens (9 if you count corn) doesnt mean those are the ones bothering your kid

I called today and they can't get him in until April 10. Grrr.... Meanwhile his eczema spreads. :(

April isn't really that far away. Zinc helps my dd's eczema. Also, see if you can find a hypoallergenic body wash for him to use instead of whatever he's using and find a good hypoallergenic lotion because extra moisture helps too. If it is really bad right now, try applying hydrocortisone cream to the worst places daily for three or four days to see if it improves. Is he taking something like zyrtec daily? If not, it might help.

just because there are 8 most common allergens (9 if you count corn) doesnt mean those are the ones bothering your kid

Oh, definitely, but I see a lot of people cutting out various foods on a permanent basis without evidence that there is a problem.

Is your water soft? I think hard water or salty water can affect the skin greatly. My kids and I have had a lot of problems with this when overseas. One of my kids had horrible eczema as a kid, and I had to use prescription cream to clear it up, and we are basically able to avoid using it much now, but I have to supervise regular moisturizing. The pediatrician recommended vaseline.

My daughter is whet intolerant. She had horrible eczema. She would scratch her legs raw in her sleep. Within a week of going gluten free the eczema disappeared. So did the nightly nosebleeds. If she accidentally eats wheat she will start itching w/in hours and will have a nosebleed that night.

Haven't read down yet, but.....does he have dairy products? That would be the first thing I eliminated for eczema issues.

ETA after reading a few certain posts (which may have been because of other posts that I haven't yet read, IDK): If you are going to get tests done, DO NOT eliminate gluten or even cut it back. Just wait it out. If you weren't going to test, a trial of cutting it out would be fine IMO.

Additionally, when you have a known issue and a possible connection, I don't see why not do 2weeks or 3 months of cutting something out to see if cutting it out helps. A lot of the time, a person is quite affected by something that doesn't show up on a test for different reasons. If I had a negative reaction to XYZ, I'd consider eliminating it even if the test said I'm not allergic. Who cares what the test says if I can feel better by eliminating it? I want to feel better, not follow test results!

My daughter is gluten free and has been for a few years now. She figured she would just try, not expecting anything; but then she could say she did it (on top of other things). Now she NEVER chooses to have even the tiniest bit of gluten because she pays for it with severe joint pain. She had not been tested, but ALL of those tests are notorious for saying there isn't an issue when an elimination diet proves otherwise. But again, whether it would have said there was an issue doesn't much matter because you couldn't pay her to be in that much pain ever again. Thankfully, her rheumatologist is fine with such also :)