Menu

Now that Beast Academy has been out for awhile, what is everyone feeling about it?

HappyGrace

Do you think it jumps too much from topic to topic (large conceptual leaps, or is it incremental enough?) Do you like the big picture of what all of Grade 3 covers? Is there enough practice in the practice books?

Feel free to comment on any aspect(s) of BA! Thanks!

I wanna know if there's any specific schedule or pacing guide? I really like how SM's HIG tells me what comprises a lesson or set amount of work for one day. :)

There is a suggested sequence for each chapter that correlates the guide with the workbook. So far I have not seen a pacing guide though. I have been looking for the same thing, and only been able to find the suggestion of doing a set amount of time a day. That's our approach for nw (we've just started).

I don't feel qualified to answer because, for us, BA is a fun supplement to Math Mammoth and we're doing it a bit below-level. We're just finishing MM 4A and will take a break from that to go back to BA, now that 3C & 3D are in the house. We both adore BA and find it insightful, inspiring, funny, and challenging. We'll definitely continue to do it side-by-side with our main program as the new levels are published. Maybe someone who is using BA as their primary math curriculum will comment about pacing, S&S, etc. We just do it until we've had enough for the day, and then pick-up where we left off next time we're ready to do math.

For my son: there are some conceptual leaps, but he has had no problem with them.

There has been enough practice with everything so far. I am adding multiplication fact practice as I would with any program, and I am using a daily review book for a little continuous review of time, money, reading graphs, etc. This is probably not necessary, but I sleep better at night knowing I have this covered. ;)

I love BA so far (1/3 thru 3B). I love what it covers and how it covers it. My ds loves math again and I love it!

For my dd: She tags along with little bro's lessons and really enjoys them. But she could NEVER have used BA alone, and she is plenty bright. The conceptual leaps would have been too much for her. There would not have been near enough practice of concepts, and the depth is far, far more than she needed when she was otherwise ready for 3rd grade math. The geometry stuff would have killed her, in fact she still really struggled with it.

Bottom line: This could be a fun supplement for any kid, but not all kids will find BA a good fit as their main program.

I keep going back to BA because it is so pretty. :) But considering it as supplement. Is it really going to be 8 books per grade and each "letter" is $27? Or am I missing something?

That $27 = 2 books (guide and workbook), so it's $27x4=$108. That's reasonable for a year's worth of math, IMO, especially considering the guide book is full color - probably expensive to print.

As to the OP, I'm still waiting for more grades to come out. I have 3A and 3B, but my oldest was beyond them already (he learned some things, but most of it he'd already tackled in other programs). My middle son could use it, but I'm afraid the other grades won't come out soon enough. He's getting ready to start Singapore 2A soon, and he is capable of moving faster than the pace of Singapore as laid out. When he's ready for BA, I'm thinking he'd probably get through grade 3 and half of 4 before the other half of 4 is ready. My youngest might be able to use years 3-5... We'll see. :)

I personally wouldn't use it as a main program until more levels are out. I would use it as a supplement and have another program still going, so we don't have to switch back and forth.

I think $108 per year is pretty steep for that level, but I do understand why (full color, etc.). And I'm only using it as a supplement so ouch.

The equivalent from Singapore would be that much (getting the IP and/or CWP to get the challenging problems).

But yes, pricey for a supplement.

I think $108 per year is pretty steep for that level, but I do understand why (full color, etc.). And I'm only using it as a supplement so ouch.

Maybe I'm wrong then. I though there were 8 letters per grade, not 4. $108 isn't too bad for a good program. $216 for a full year would hurt.

Do you think it jumps too much from topic to topic (large conceptual leaps, or is it incremental enough?) Do you like the big picture of what all of Grade 3 covers? Is there enough practice in the practice books?

Sorry to hijack your thread. I would also love to know this!

I personally wouldn't use it as a main program until more levels are out. I would use it as a supplement and have another program still going, so we don't have to switch back and forth.

Yeah, this is a real problem with BA that I haven't quite figured yet. If I end up supplementing it will be for this reason, and not because I think BA is an incomplete program.

I'm not entirely qualified to contribute here since we've only been doing BA for 3 weeks. But those three weeks have been, I am not kidding, some of the most fun and rewarding educational experiences with my oldest ds so far.

BA is such an absolutely perfect fit for his mode of learning and his abilities that I kind of want to cry when I think about him outpacing the program. It's possible, of course, that once we move on from geometry (a major strength of his) we'll be less enamored of the program but he actually peeked ahead the other day and said, "Ooo, skip counting!" So I'm hopeful. The concepts are presented so concretely and efficiently and the practice is so well-designed that I'm not sure ds even realizes he's using a workbook.

I was going to alternate days of BA with days of SM but BA, for the moment, seems plenty complete and rigorous. Ds has hated math for awhile despite the fact that he is very strong, conceptually. So we're doing BA as our main program at the moment along with LOF which he thinks is fun.

I'm actually considering just keeping him with BA all the way through even though, at the current pace, they project to finish level 5 at the end of his sixth grade year. I figure that, at that point, we can do prealgebra in 7th grade and algebra in 8th which may not be the sort of accelerated schedule the AoPS people usually deal with but is perfectly fine as far as getting through plenty of upper-level math. Once we outpace BA and we're waiting for the next level (probably not for another year) we'll pull out the SM texts and blast through them, touching on any sticky areas for review. Or maybe I'll pull out some living math stuff for fun to keep math going in between.

As for pacing, we do 30-75 minutes a day depending on ds's mood each day. That has gotten us a third of the way through a 9-week book in 3 weeks (if you assume four books over a 36-week year). He usually likes pushing through lots and lots of the guide (even though we stop at all the stop signs and puzzle through stuff) but the practice pages vary quite a bit. Some days we do several, some days one or even part of one. But it seems to all even out.

We love it! We are now beginning 4D. Having come to BA from SM 3-4, most concepts weren't new, so I can't judge how effective the course is as an intro to new concepts. However, geometry sections and the perfect square chapter had us absolutely captivated. We only do challenging problems, but there is plenty of drill in workbooks. Having read through chunks of Aops preA, I see exactly where the series is headed ( I can't imagine a child who successfully worked through perfect squares ch struggling with the way it's explained in preA).

Although there are plenty of easy problems in workbooks, the concepts aren't introduced incrementally (compared to MM for example). The same chapter that introduces multiplication has the kids working with very large numbers. The guide is excellent though and has enough info to help kids work though workbooks. While I don't think BA is intended for struggling kids, it's not just for extremely strong students either.

see, i'm still sad about this - we got the free sample chapter to preview BA - but we only got the geometry chapter. my son HATES geometry, so he basically hated BA. he's way past this now, anyways, but he would have loved it otherwise.

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I (and ds) love certain chapters like the geometry and variables chapters, but did not at all care for others. I also feel that BA tortures you a bit with the calculations themselves (rather than the concepts) which is a major bummer for a dyslexic who is looking for more problem solving puzzles with concepts but who struggles with calculations. We'll probably use parts and pieces going forward.

My daughter who is doing is now loves it. She's dyslexic and needs more drill on facts. Other than times tables, I don't feel I need to supplement at all. It would have been perfect for my math loving oldest.

I'm just sad that my daughter's math is likely to progress faster than the new books. I'll keep using them with her and then my little one will do them someday.

I have a 4th grader doing RightStart E. He is bright and he "gets" math but he is weak on his multiplication facts (so he will eventually get them but it takes a while) and he is currently in a "I hate math" phase. I'm considering purchasing BA just to give him a break, make math fun again and maybe help him brush up on his facts. Can anyone using it advise me - would this be a good idea? He loves comics and graphic novels so I think it will appeal to him while giving him a boost in confidence maybe plus bring back the love of math.

Are the practice books reproducible? Or do you need one for each child? If I can copy these for use later with my younger children that would be great!

I agree that $108 is not so bad - it would cost me that much to get just the textbooks and workbooks for Singapore from a local distributor.$61.40 for delivery may be a problem though.

RR carries it, you might be able to get cheaper shipping there. (I'm assuming you are international, are you in NZ? Just going by your username.)

I have a 4th grader doing RightStart E. He is bright and he "gets" math but he is weak on his multiplication facts (so he will eventually get them but it takes a while) and he is currently in a "I hate math" phase. I'm considering purchasing BA just to give him a break, make math fun again and maybe help him brush up on his facts. Can anyone using it advise me - would this be a good idea? He loves comics and graphic novels so I think it will appeal to him while giving him a boost in confidence maybe plus bring back the love of math.

WE started BA a little ways into RSD. I knew ds would love it and he was starting to get a bit bored with RS. It wasn't challenging him near as much as previous levels and looking through I could see a lot that was repetitive. So, first we started doing both but he loved BA so much and was doing so well I entirely switched him over. I think we might do some selective RSD in between BA due to the publication schedule and perhaps some reinforcement on different things.

We are using it as our main math program - the only thing we supplement is a worksheet of addition and subtraction practice each week that I print out for my dd - mostly 2-3 digit addition and subtraction. That will eventually be in grade 2 BA, but my dd understood the concepts but was slow and error prone in her calculations. A sheet a week has been plenty to bring her skills up.

We love BA. My dd will choose to read the guide by itself for fun, and I find there is plenty of practice in the practice book for her. It is challenging sometimes - but a good fit for her challenge wise. As for pacing, there are 4 book sets in a year (A-D) and 3 chapters in a book, so I try to keep us close to a chapter every 3 weeks. A few are shorter - the multiplication one took us a bit longer but that may have been our schedule, can't remember. Some practice pages are quite simple - usually the first 3-4 pages in each chapter are of a basic reinforce the concept sort of problem, then it goes deeper. Some days dd does 4-6 pages or more before feeling done - other days, it's a page or less. I think to use BA successfully, however, you need to be able to let go of doing the same number of problems a day and be okay with a looser schedule (i.e. a chapter every 3 weeks - not 3 pages a day.)

(I should put in here that we are just starting 3C - we just pulled dd out of school in January and had done 3 A and part of B as an afterschool supplement. I think there is enough depth that I plan to continue with it and find things to fill in while waiting for the next books as needed. If they stick to the one set every 5 months, we will finish sometime in her 6th grade year. I think that the books will give her a solid enough foundation that starting pre-algebra mid-6th or even 7th will be fine. She'll still be advanced, and she loves BA so much that the slight delay will be well worth it.)

Oh - the year's books are $106. The practice books are $12 - I am not sure off the top of my head if they can be copied or not - you might ask them. They are usually quite responsive on their facebook page.

ETA - there is review of previous concepts - but it is more hidden than in other elementary math programs. In the distributive property chapter, for example, there are practice book problems that require you to use methods taught in the perfect square chapter. So the review and reinforcement is there, but worked into new problems and not as obvious as in other programs.

Are the practice books reproducible? Or do you need one for each child? If I can copy these for use later with my younger children that would be great!

The copyright says that "Reproduction of any portion of this book without the written permission of AoPS Incorporated is strictly prohibited, except for fair use or other noncommercial uses as defined in sections 107 and 108 of the US Copyright Act." While I'm not familiar with these codes, my gut is that using the same workbook inside 1 family between multiple children would qualify as "noncommercial." This could be done via a workbook window, or since the wb pages are perforated, it would be really easy to tear them out and either scan them or put them into sheet protectors.

The copyright says that "Reproduction of any portion of this book without the written permission of AoPS Incorporated is strictly prohibited, except for fair use or other noncommercial uses as defined in sections 107 and 108 of the US Copyright Act." While I'm not familiar with these codes, my gut is that using the same workbook inside 1 family between multiple children would qualify as "noncommercial." This could be done via a workbook window, or since the wb pages are perforated, it would be really easy to tear them out and either scan them or put them into sheet protectors.

Hmmm...usually the copyright says specifically that it can be reproduced for classroom use or use in a family. I'll have to contact them when I get to the point of buying it. Thanks!

RR carries it, you might be able to get cheaper shipping there. (I'm assuming you are international, are you in NZ? Just going by your username.)

I wonder if Exodus Books ships to you?

My daughter just started 3A on Tuesday. To say she loves it so far would be a gross understatement.

kiwik, I just swallowed the shipping in the end. I couldn't get cheaper shipping anywhere & I couldn't find anything better. She loves Life of Fred too, but this is such a good fit for her. I actually waited four or five months to order so we could get all four levels shipped at once. I had her tread water for a while, reviewing SM 2 and cementing some fact until BA 3D was ready to order.

We had 3A-3C and worked through 3A, but overall I was underimpressed based on the incredible reviews BA recieves on this board. There were a few really neat chapters (in all 3 books), but I wouldn't say it compares to SM as a complete program. Maybe that is my kid though, who doesn't need the monsters and comic book style to enjoy math. For us, finding other (cheaper) supplements is a better use of money/time.

I love BA. No question. But even though we are well into 3D I don't feel prepared to answer most of your questions. Except for the sufficientcy of practice questions, where there are quite a few (enough) IMO.

It is an idiosyncratic program, one obviously developed by math lovers. It is the product of a boutique shop (rather than a "committe" effort from a major publishing house) and it shows. If find it delightful.

Will some think there are "conceptual leaps"? It would not suprise me. Kids are forced to think. It is not your typical program.

Bill

We haven't started 3D yet (Ds is in a good rhythm with a few other things), but we're very, very happy with the BA we've used so far. I would say there's enough practice on each topic, but not enough actual math for a full year for a mathy kid. Ds had seen some of the topics before, but each of the books has taken far less than 9 weeks to complete, and it was not the only math he was doing. Because of the publication schedule, MM has become his main program, but we'll definitely be continuing with BA on the side.

We have only used 3A as a supplement to BJU Math 3 and this was with a non mathy 8yr old. We worked together on the book and did not do the starred problems. With that said I have seen the benefits of BA in her regular math work. It is making her think differently, more logically. For my dd, using BA as the only math would not work but we will be doing books 3B and C next year (possibly D) as a supplement.