Menu

I confess: I was *that* swim mom this weekend. (Brag content.)

-M-

You now the sort: She stands on or near the deck, shrieking, "Pull! Pull! PULL!" or some other stream of supposedly "helpful" and/or "encouraging" commands. "Go! Go! GOOOOO!"

My son joined the local swim team nearly a decade ago and later became a coach, lifeguard, and swim instructor. His sisters joined three or so years later and one is now a lifeguard and the other, a swim instructor. As much for their reputations as my own, then, I have generally kept the on-deck antics minimal to absent.A bit of nervous wiggling or foot tapping. The occasional, "Good job!" Otherwise? Call me Low-key Mrs. M-mv.

This year, my daughters swim both USA Swimming meets and rec league meets with their community team, and as I shared last week, Miss M-mv(i) made it to regionals in the 50 free, where she then took another .51 seconds off her best time. (Let's hear it for late blooming swimmers, eh?) But even at that meet, I was pretty self-possessed.

At this weekend's conference meet (for the rec league's five participating teams), though, my inner swim mom burst forth like something from Alien.

I'm sure you'll understand, though: Miss M-mv(i) took first in the 200 IM.

Wooooooot!

Yay! That's great. And what's wrong with being a mom who cheers her kids? I never yell at the meets (I'm not extroverted at all!). My kids tell me over and over that they can't hear me, but I think it's fun to hear the parents get so excited. So go ahead and yell. And my favorite, the thing you will only hear at a swim meet, is "Don't breathe, Don't breathe!" :)

So long as you're not yelling at the referees or officials, I say it's good to be that mom that yells for your kids! Mine are doing track right now and I love encouraging them as they run by. I don't know if it helps one bit or not, but I still will forever by their #1 fan.

Lisa

Have you never watched Michael Phelps' mom during the Olympics? I told my swimmer years ago that if she can cheer, "Go Michael! Go Michael!" over and over again, at the top of her lungs, on international television, I can darn sure yell for MY swimmer.

My baby won three events at her state meet this weekend, and everybody within 20 (and by 20, I mean 50) feet of me knew whose mom I was.

Terri

Congrats to the swimmers doing well in their championship meets and to the Moms who drive them to all the practices.

Yay! That's great. And what's wrong with being a mom who cheers her kids? I never yell at the meets (I'm not extroverted at all!). My kids tell me over and over that they can't hear me, but I think it's fun to hear the parents get so excited. So go ahead and yell. And my favorite, the thing you will only hear at a swim meet, is "Don't breathe, Don't breathe!" :)

:laugh: We thought that was FUNNY!

That is AWESOME! :hurray:

I am such an introvert that I rarely cheer, but I sometimes secretly wish I could do those hugely obnoxious, earsplitting, soul piercing whistles that some parents and coaches! can do so well...

Georgia

Uhm...er...I'm not supposed to scream? Even though the DC can't possibly hear me?

Many, many congrats to the Miss! Watching time drop is tres cool. Winning an event, even cooler.

That's me too! I cheer all the time just in case for a tiny split second they might hear me. I have dialed it down lately though.

Congratulations to your dd!!

Go mom!

Now, I was at a hockey game, and there was "one of those dads", the only problem was that his son's name was Axel. So try yelling "Axel" at the top of your lungs. I almost walloped him, calling his son that name, for shame!

Go mom!

Now, I was at a hockey game, and there was "one of those dads", the only problem was that his son's name was Axel. So try yelling "Axel" at the top of your lungs. I almost walloped him, calling his son that name, for shame!