Menu

The Reason We Homeschool (according to kids)

merry gardens

Guest inoubliable

My kids will tell you it's because I need a cover for watching Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson. That, and someone needs to fetch my bonbons from time to time.

So after DS finally rolled out of bed at 9:30 this morning, I asked him why we homeschool. This is what he said. "It's a lot more fun and because I can get done faster because it doesn't take as long to line up and walk to every place and waiting for somebody to explain stuff to other kids. And I get to watch TV during breakfast and lunch." Obviously we've talked about how he can get his work done much faster because in public school there's a lot of lost time. And we wouldn't want to miss out on Dinosaur Train, either. :D

I just asked DD8. At first she looked at me like I was crazy. Then she replied with "because you don't want us to go to school." So I said "but why?"

Then she said "so that you can see us." True....I'd miss them if they were gone so much. So that is part of the reason.

I asked DD6 why we homeschool....she said "I don't know" about five times. And then said "because the teachers don't teach us about Jesus." Smart girl!

Oh dear. I asked my 5 year old. She said, "Because I can't go to a school." (As if there's some reason she's banned? Ha!)

"Okay honey, but why can't you go?"

"You know, so I can see Daddy on his days off when he's home."

She's on the money there. Somehow that was followed by another comment from her. "I know more about fossils, and you know more about vacuuming." Uh, really little girl? I'll admit I'm the world's worst housekeeper, so I must not have much going for me!

A long time ago, the kids were like 6 and 9 or so, and had well child checkups, back to back, so they were in there together with the dr. He asked about school, and when they replied they were home schooled, he asked what they were learning, and they went ON and ON about learning to laundry. Like for 5 minutes, I swear. We had just that day had a "laundry lesson" because I figured it was time they could help out more at home- and that's what stuck in the days lessons. Laundry.

So if you ask Dr. Whateverhisnamewas, my kids homeschool to do laundry.

DD says "because schools have yucky food like mashed potatoes."

:rofl: My daughter thought the food looked HORRIBLE during her few months in ps. Her reasons for wanting to come back home to homeschool were more to do with working on her own schedule and interests and not dealing with the drama but she had a lot to say about the food too. LOL! I can just imagine what both the olders would have said our reasons were when they were homeschooling elementary.

A long time ago, the kids were like 6 and 9 or so, and had well child checkups, back to back, so they were in there together with the dr. He asked about school, and when they replied they were home schooled, he asked what they were learning, and they went ON and ON about learning to laundry. Like for 5 minutes, I swear. We had just that day had a "laundry lesson" because I figured it was time they could help out more at home- and that's what stuck in the days lessons. Laundry.

So if you ask Dr. Whateverhisnamewas, my kids homeschool to do laundry.

This is great!!!

Ds10 : because when I am in a classroom with friends, I can't focus on my math. (In summary, he is spot on)

Ds9 : because we get to be a family in the mornings since Daddy works in the evenings (again another very valid reason)

Dd 7: because you love us too much.

Dd7: because school was hard and I didn't know what to do and the teachers never helped me learn ( we came in at the end of the year from out of state. The girls were definitely neglected and was never even assessed for their level. Indeed it was an issue)

Over all I think mine understand that homeschooling is the healthy and best option for our fAmily. I was impressed with their answers.