Menu

Do you ever feel rushed at the grocery checkout?

Excelsior! Academy

some large supermarkets are starting to install self serve checkouts. where you swipe your own food, bag it yourself and pay. they have a supervisor who supervises 4 checkouts to make sure people actually swipe their produce.

Personally I will not use this. If I have to pay the exorbitant prices in the shop I at least want someone to ring them up for me.

there are even Petrol stations where there is no staff at all. you swipe your card, key in how much you want to spend, fill your car up, get a receipt and drive off.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a cashier at Walmart in college, there were two customers who were notorious for putting only one item on the belt at a time, watching the cashier ring it up, staring at the price, looking at how said item was bagged, THEN placing the next item up to be scanned. They didn't do this quickly either, they'd stand there and stare as if they waited long enough, the price would change. It was absolutely bizarre.

Both were professors. And one would pay with checks with no identifying information except a name and throw a tantrum if asked for more. Weird.

When I was a cashier at Walmart in college, there were two customers who were notorious for putting only one item on the belt at a time, watching the cashier ring it up, staring at the price, looking at how said item was bagged, THEN placing the next item up to be scanned. They didn't do this quickly either, they'd stand there and stare as if they waited long enough, the price would change. It was absolutely bizarre.

Both were professors. And one would pay with checks with no identifying information except a name and throw a tantrum if asked for more. Weird.

I think I was behind one of them today at Publix! And she complained about the price of half of the items, and lo and behold, she was wrong every. single. time.

some large supermarkets are starting to install self serve checkouts. where you swipe your own food, bag it yourself and pay. they have a supervisor who supervises 4 checkouts to make sure people actually swipe their produce.

Personally I will not use this. If I have to pay the exorbitant prices in the shop I at least want someone to ring them up for me.

We had those at Walmart, but sadly they removed them. We have them at Krogers.

I love self-checkout if the machine works correctly and does not constantly squeak "attendant has been notified to assist you"

It is the only way to get my bags packed properly the way I want them - because somehow the baggers have no idea how to fill a reusable bag.

there are even Petrol stations where there is no staff at all. you swipe your card, key in how much you want to spend, fill your car up, get a receipt and drive off.

can't remember the last time I needed gas station staff. In our state, all gas stations are self service and have been for decades. Unless you want to buy candy or something, there is no need to go into the store.

You do not key in how much you want to spend, though, but simply slide the card to switch on the pump and stop when you have a full tank or reached the amount you want to spend.

My pet peeve is when I'm getting checked out, I haven't swiped my card yet, but have to move my cart up to receive the groceries. At that point the person behind me moves to in front of the card swiper and can't back up because of the person behind them. You have to stand your ground in the checkout ladies. :toetap05:

That's why my shopping cart always precedes me. :-)

I love my first world problems. Imagine having to listen to someone chatting nicely with a 'stranger'? I live in a medium- sized town and see the same folks often. I like the pleasantries that take 2 extra minutes. If I am in a rush, I try not to go to the market, or I try to go to a small place, even though I understand I will pay 3xs the price.

I don't mind chatting amiably while the cashier is ringing up my groceries and whatnot, but I still want to take care of business in a timely manner, especially if anyone is in line behind me.

I have had groceries delivered. That's nice, but I can't use my own bags, and when they bring you your groceries, it's like a plastic bag manufacturing plant blew up in your house.

:laugh:

We have had self-serve gas stations for years, along with self-serve lines at the grocery.

Same here at gas stations. The only time there has been someone to pump gas for me is in Oregon. California to Seattle; California to Texas; Texas to Virginia.

If I have the choice, I'll choose self-check-out at grocery stores, too. Mr. Ellie isn't crazy about them, but again, I just want to get in and get out especially if I only have a few items.

Which is why I use a big cardboard box at Aldi's. In the US, you drive to the store anyway (not like in Europe where you walk and must have bags with handles to carry them). I put the box in the empty cart. The checker checks my groceries and dumps them into the cart where they land in the box. I may choose to straighten a few items, or I let stuff fall where it lands. All I have to do is lift the box out and put it into my car. I fail to see the advantage of several small bags if I don't have to walk a distance and carry my shopping.

This is a good idea. I actually saw someone yesterday with clothes baskets. Sturdy, multipurpose, easy to carry, genius!

I think cloth bags make it faster to check out because you can get so much more in the bag . . . you just have to put them on the belt in gront of your groceries to avoid the 'oh wait! I have bags!' dance.

I LOVE self check-out. No delays because some kid can't identify shallots. It also weeds out ALL of the check writers and technologically impaired.

I also like to pump my own gas. It's PAINFUL to go to Jersey and wait for ages because they've got one guy filling everyone's tank.

I also like to pump my own gas. It's PAINFUL to go to Jersey and wait for ages because they've got one guy filling everyone's tank.

My favorite thing about NJ is that you're not allowed to pump your own gas. You get to sit in your car and check your smart phone...or breathe. It's like the only down time in a week. Even my dh agrees, especially in winter.

Same here at gas stations. The only time there has been someone to pump gas for me is in Oregon. California to Seattle; California to Texas; Texas to Virginia.

If I have the choice, I'll choose self-check-out at grocery stores, too. Mr. Ellie isn't crazy about them, but again, I just want to get in and get out especially if I only have a few items.

We have had self pump for years as well, but what I am meaning is that there is no staff at the petrol station at all. they are unmanned completely. Nobody there at all.

My post was meant to be humorous, kind of tongue-in-cheek. When my children were all really little, and someone behind me was huffing and sighing and rolling the eyes, I felt myself rushing and realized I had a choice. I just stopped. And took a deep breath, relaxed, and thought, "You know, that stranger with his jar of marinara sauce and his loaf of Italian bread is not going to cost me a child today."

And that was the end of the rushing in the check out line. Done. I haven't felt the need to rush ever since. I practice intentional oblivion, and it serves me well. I have never lost or misplaced a child, never lost my wallet or cards, never lost my car keys, never lost my purse, never left behind a package, and never had the cabbage go on top of the eggs. I've also never made any lifelong friends in the check out line, but I obviously don't expect to make friends there. LOL. We are extremely friendly, actually, so most people don't seem to mind. They love talking to my children, who look so much alike that people think they're triplets (they're actually 1 + twins).

I think a lot of that rushed feeling is simply that, a feeling. We can decide to act in a way that pushes back the boundaries and sets them in a better place. I think New Jersey is too rushy-rushy as it is. I'm doing my part to change the world! :) When we slow things down a little, someone might get irritated, but a lot of people seem to appreciate a human connection. Older people, especially, seem to appreciate us slowing down enough say "hello." We actually talk to the cashier, you know, as if she's a human being? At one store, we always seek out the same cashier. We talk to her. She is not a native English-speaker, and she seems to like practicing English with us. She's not a machine. I refuse to treat a cashier like a machine, or use a machine for a cashier.

I posted to encourage mothers of many young ones to prioritize keeping track of the baby over keeping the next person in line happy. Stay calm, Mommy, and don't get so frazzled by Mrs. Grumpy Pants that you leave your baby in the grocery cart.

But I do that, too, with the cart in front of me.

You unload your cart with your cart in front of you the whole time? Are you quite tall? I cannot reach the front while I'm behind it, nor can I reach the back while I'm in front of it. So I have to unload from both the front and the back. It makes it inconvenient in some stores where the aisle is too small to squeeze past the cart, especially if it's a busy shopping time.

You unload your cart with your cart in front of you the whole time? Are you quite tall? I cannot reach the front while I'm behind it, nor can I reach the back while I'm in front of it. So I have to unload from both the front and the back. It makes it inconvenient in some stores where the aisle is too small to squeeze past the cart, especially if it's a busy shopping time.

Not really.

Most of the grocery stores here have those long conveyor-belt kind of things that you put your groceries on. Alas, I have apparently not had enough tea or something today because I can't think what they're called, lol. So anyway, if you can picture that, I stand at the end of it with the shopping cart on my right; I just reach over the side of the cart and take everything out (or if I'm at Sam's, the shopping cart might be on my left, as Sam's has mirror-image check-out lines). I have decided that the designer/manufacturer of those thingies had that in mind; many stores now put display items at the end so that it's harder to do that. Makes me crazy. In any case, I never go ahead of my shopping cart. I don't like doing that little dance around the cart, lol.

Clear as mud?

Not really.

Most of the grocery stores here have those long conveyor-belt kind of things that you put your groceries on. Alas, I have apparently not had enough tea or something today because I can't think what they're called, lol. So anyway, if you can picture that, I stand at the end of it with the shopping cart on my right; I just reach over the side of the cart and take everything out (or if I'm at Sam's, the shopping cart might be on my left, as Sam's has mirror-image check-out lines). I have decided that the designer/manufacturer of those thingies had that in mind; many stores now put display items at the end so that it's harder to do that. Makes me crazy. In any case, I never go ahead of my shopping cart. I don't like doing that little dance around the cart, lol.

Clear as mud?

Oh, yes. I know just what you mean. And I find it so irritating that all the grocery stores I go to put display cases right at the end. I think you're right that conveyor belt people had it in mind for us to stand right there where the store managers have put shelves of newspapers.

Oh, yes. I know just what you mean. And I find it so irritating that all the grocery stores I go to put display cases right at the end. I think you're right that conveyor belt people had it in mind for us to stand right there where the store managers have put shelves of newspapers.

((((soul sister)))) :D

No, I never feel rushed. I moved from NYC to the South and I seriously doubt that anyone behind me has ever thought that I am moving too slowly. I am a one-woman-three-child-supermarket-checking-out MACHINE, thank you very much. And now that I've been here a while I even always remember to say hi and exchange a few pleasantries with the cashier. They don't just grunt at you here, nor just continue their conversation with the person at the next register as if you don't exist. It's quite nice, actually. Almost makes up for the horrendous humidity in the summer.

Being grumpy and allowing something like that to spoil your day is something you can chose not to do. basically it is an attitude

That's interesting. When I am behind someone slow in a queue I sometimes get worried (that I'll be late) but I don't get irritated with the person. I might exchange a wry and discreet smile with the person behind me in the queue, but that would be about it.

Laura

My favorite thing about NJ is that you're not allowed to pump your own gas. You get to sit in your car and check your smart phone...or breathe. It's like the only down time in a week. Even my dh agrees, especially in winter.

I LOVE not having to pump gas, especially when it's raining or extremely cold. Last weekend, my oldest and I went up to Connecticut and it didn't even occur to me until later that when we stopped for gas, someone came out and pumped for us! We figured the guy probably saw the NJ plates, that we weren't getting out of the car, and figured we were clueless. :laugh: I just forgot we weren't home.

But I also LOVE the self-checkout lanes. Especially at Walmart where the regular cashiers always seem to be clueless.

My favorite grocery store location doesn't offer self-checkout, but that's where I will try and go to the bag your own. We have the set-up where you can swipe your card as soon as the transaction is started so I usually unload with the cart behind me, move up enough to be at the card swiper, swipe my card so that all I have left to do is press a few buttons or sign. The belts are usually pretty long so I haven't had a problem with people pushing too far forward for me to reach even though I have to go almost to the end of the aisle to bag.

I don't usually feel rushed at the register but I DO often feel rushed in the aisles. People seem to hate having to wait 5 seconds for you to get something off the shelf before moving on. On the other hand, there are those people who angle their carriage across the whole aisle while the read every label and glare at you if you say "excuse me".

I grocery shop without my kids and usually later on a weeknight (Yeah! for 24 hour grocery stores).

No, I don't feel rushed. I'm usually the only one in line... at least when it's not tourist season.

Do any of you have a store where you carry the price gun with you? That might make you feel less rushed. You scan the prices and bag your items as you shop. At the end, you turn in your price-scanner thingy and pay.

We have that here and it's awesome. I bag as I go, and in the end either check myself out or hand the cashier the scanner to do a quick ring out. Even if I have a cart full I can use the quick check out because of this.

We have a local chain - Stop & Shop - that does this. It seems pretty neat but I was wondering how they know people aren't putting things in their bags without scanning them?

They do spot checks every once in a while at the checkout-- they call them audits-- where a cashier takes 10 things randomly from your cart and scan them to make sure they're registered in the scanner gun. It doesn't happen often; maybe every 20th time you shop. I imagine if you have a habit of "forgetting" to scan stuff, they revoke your privileges!

I think cloth bags make it faster to check out because you can get so much more in the bag . . . you just have to put them on the belt in gront of your groceries to avoid the 'oh wait! I have bags!' dance.

I LOVE self check-out. No delays because some kid can't identify shallots. It also weeds out ALL of the check writers and technologically impaired.

Agree. I can get in and out very quickly ringing up my own groceries. I am for it.

I have felt rushed and it really bugs me. Because of rushing, I have crushed some things trying to hurry bagging my own groceries. The last time I went, I went down and started bagging while she was ringing stuff up so I would be ahead of the game. It didn't work because after I had already paid and was finishing my bagging, she held up two items that I had on the belt that never got rung up. :cursing: Also, I didn't notice any problems, but I like to watch the prices that ring up to make sure they are correct.