Menu

Girl Scout Cookies

sassenach

What's your favorite  

192 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Girl Scout cookie?

• Do-Si-Dos/Peanut Butter Sandwiches
    • Dulce de Leche
    • Lemonades
    • Mango Crèmes with NutriFusion
    • Samoas/Caramel deLites
    • Savannah Smiles
    • Shout Outs!
    • Tagalongs/Peanut Butter Patties
    • Thanks-A-Lot/Animal Treasures/All Abouts
    • Thank U Berry Munch
    • Thin Mints
    • Trefoils/Shortbread
    • Other girl scout cookie
    • I refuse to eat Girl Scout cookies

I just found out tonight that we are the number 2 seller for our troop this year. Not too shabby for DD's first year!! We do like what GS teaches girls so we bought a ton as a family too.

I love samoas. DH does tagalongs. And I got to try the Dulce de Leche and loved it at our presales party but I'm not sure if I like it as much as samoas. Ask me at t the end of March. :D

We never sold any Shout Outs... I was cookie mom for several years that we had them and couldn't get rid of a case with a troop of 15 girls. Last year, I only had 4 girls and had to double up as troop leader and cookie mom and I just wouldn't order them (we don't do any pre-orders in our council -- it's all stock in hand, so a huge guessing game all season). We're selling lots of Lemonades this year because our council is switching bakers from ABC to Little Brownie. I don't dislike the Lemonades, but I like the Savannah Smiles better.

This is our last week of sales ... I'm so ready to be done ... but breaking in a new cookie mom meant getting cookies late, so we still have more boxes than I'd like left to sell. We have a booth tomorrow, and not much troop stock, so I may bring cookies to check back in.

I loved the PB Patties. But a few years ago the Council in my area switched bakers and the cookies have just been . . . yuck. They signed a three year contract. I am really reluctant to spend $4.00 a box for cookies that just don't taste very good.

I have never bought a box.

I have a gripe with Girl Scouts so I don't support them. They clear cut some land that my family donated to them a generation back. The contract didn't allow for clear cutting (it was specificaly donated for and houses a Girl Scout camp) but the only recourse we have is to sue them over it. There isn't any benefit to doing so, as we don't want financial compensation for the lumber but it was a slap in the face non-the-less. My immediate family lives on adjacent land so we see the violation whenever we visit. (I do believe that clear cutting can be good land management, but this was done solely for profit by GS).

My neices were involved for a while and I also didn't like some of the ways things were handled with them.

I am sure there are some amazing troops around the country, I just haven't had a good experience with GS so far.

I remember when they were Lemon Coolers and were marketed as the fat-free cookies.

I remember that, and then a year later they just didn't offer them here. Then the next year they were back with the new name.

I don't understand why they had to go and give most of them cutsie names. When I was younger and in GS they were just called by what they were,

Thin Mints,

PB patties

PB sandwiches

Trefoils (were the odd ball that didn't really let on what they were)

I think there was some type of chocolate chip.

We also never had things like booths, we had to sell door to door or to just family/friends we knew.

The same names existed when I sold them in the 70's. The names depend on what part of the country you are in and which baker bakes your cookies. In some places they still have the names you remember.

No one is required to do booths. You can still just sell door to door. No one is even required to sell cookies at all.

I remember that, and then a year later they just didn't offer them here. Then the next year they were back with the new name.

I don't understand why they had to go and give most of them cutsie names. When I was younger and in GS they were just called by what they were,

Thin Mints,

PB patties

PB sandwiches

Trefoils (were the odd ball that didn't really let on what they were)

I think there was some type of chocolate chip.

We also never had things like booths, we had to sell door to door or to just family/friends we knew.

The same names existed when I sold them in the 70's. The names depend on what part of the country you are in and which baker bakes your cookies. In some places they still have the names you remember.

No one is required to do booths. You can still just sell door to door. No one is even required to sell cookies at all.

I guess in my day a booth wasn't even an option that we knew of.

I guess in my day a booth wasn't even an option that we knew of.

It wasn't in my day, either ... but no soliciting rules in apartment complexes, etc. were already in place. Growing up military, I had friends who could never really sell ... no door to door in their neighborhood, and family hundreds or thousands of miles away. (We were always in housing, where door to door was allowed.) I have girls who live in apartments far from family now, and some of them are the ones who love selling the most, but they really only get to sell at booths.

I buy them every year. The peanut butter and the thin mints. We freeze the thin mints and use them in milkshakes. Dd has not been able to join because we don't have a local troop. On a less lighter note, here's a link to something that happened in our area with the cookies:

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/world-our-backyard/2013/feb/17/13200-boxes-girl-scout-cookies-destroyed-and-food-/