Menu

What are your garden dreams this year?

Joshin

It's only February but I am so ready for spring! I've been poring over my seed catalogs, planning orders and searching Pinterest for inspiration. We added two more big raised beds last fall, bringing us up to a total of eight (plus our herb terrace).

My big plans are columner apple trees along one fence. A neighbor planted some a few years back and they are doing awesome! We don't have a lot of room for trees without blocking sunlight, so these will be a perfect complement to our one other backyard tree, a cherry. We are also putting in some hops for DH's beer brewing. They'll also provide shade for our too-sunny patio. I'm thinking a wine bottle or beer bottle border around the hops would be fitting!

I also want to try my hand at dwarf citrus in containers, probably a lemon and a tangerine, orange or satsuma. We'll have to bring them in during winter because we're zone 5. Oh, and a potted ginger plant too! We make a ton of ginger ale so it would be nice to make it from our own homegrown ginger. We're pretty much self-sufficient with vegetables, so my plan this year is to start expanding our fruit production. Fitting it all into our backyard is the challenging part, especially when part of it goes to the ducks' free range area, house and pond.

DH, our resident Dr. Doolittle, desperately wants Nigerian dwarf goats, but although our city is bee and poultry friendly, they do not allow even these small goats. C'est la vie, maybe some day!

What is everyone else planning in the garden this year? Let's share ideas and inspiration until the ground thaws and we can get some dirt under our nails!

Honestly? To just have one. To actually eat something that I have grown...I am aiming low. Ideally I would love to put in some dwarf citrus (in containers) and some berry bushes. Also some raised beds with staple veggies that are easy to grow for a newbie. Maybe some chickens. Nothing too fancy just enough to get my feet wet.

Guest inoubliable

Two.

1) That we get into a house of our own by the time we need to start planting. Right now we're planning on starting stuff indoors, either way, but I sure hope to be transplanting in our own house instead of containers.

and

2) Edible landscaping.

Other than that, I just want it all to survive. We'd had some issue or another every time we've tried to put in a garden. Stink bugs, squirrels, neighborhood cats, jerk neighbor children, really violent summer storms...

I've got a huge flower garden that I've been working on for years. My herb garden is pretty well established. Asparagus is good. I want to get my raised plot of strawberries going stronger.

I'll plant tomatoes, (which I am terrible at raising), green beans, zukes, okra. Maybe some sphagetti squash.

Pumpkins along the east side of the house where they can go nuts and grow without offending my ocd self. (can't really mow under the pumpkins, the grass drives me crazy.)

Dh is supposed to build me two more raised beds. I need to start looking at catalogs.

I'm working on growing a few new super-hot peppers this year. :) Last year I grew Ghost Peppers, and while they were definitely the hottest thing I've ever experienced, the flavor they added to salsa was incomparable. I have several others on deck to try out this year, as well as expanding my hot pepper part of the garden with more varieties. I made my own hot sauce last year with the last of my ripe peppers and it is astoundingly good. DH and I are both addicted, so I definitely need to make more of that.

After three gardening years in my raised beds, I'm hoping that we're finally at a point where everything will grow and do well. We have fences up for the bunnies, bird netting to keep out the squirrels, and a support system for the 90 heirloom tomato plants.

Oh, and I'm also hoping to have the best tomato harvest ever. I really want to ramp up my seed saving this year.

I hope to get cucumbers and beans this year too. Last year I dedicated an entire 40 x 10 bed to those two veggies, and we got very little fruit from them.

Spring cannot come soon enough! Last year we had a week long warm up in March that got up into the 70's. I couldn't help myself, so I planted one of my beds. Then it got cold again, and I thought I'd wasted my time, only it turned out I didn't. We were harvesting and enjoying salads by the end of May. I'm hoping for a repeat this year. I need one week of nice warm weather, because that will give me the time I need to get the soil worked and planted, and allow time for them to sprout before it gets cold again.

To get enough tomatoes and peppers for salsa this year. Last year the garden was allowed to fallow due to the hottest summer we've ever had. No rain either. I'm hoping for better this year.

I'm also hoping to grow cucumbers for some pickles.

I'm also hoping to increase my number of bee forage trees, including sugar maple. I plan to sprout seeds from my own tree in the hopes that I'll have similar nectar production to the parent tree.

My last goal is to catch a swarm of wild bees. I'm all ready to trap come spring.

Not to hijack but how in the world do we start a compost pile? I think we might have the beginnings of one with grass clippings but what else do we need in it? I know it won't be ready for this year. Would the Square Foot Gardening Book have info about making compost?

http://www.composting101.com/what-to-use.html

Here's a good link to a list of what you can compost. I compost all my kitchen scraps- even in the winter. DH left a pile of leaves outside my back door, and when I take a bucket of compost out, I add a bucket of leaves with it so it doesn't just rot and turn to mush. Of course, yard waste goes in there when we're working in the yard.

I want to move two raised beds to another location in the yard so I need a few hours of muscle from my son and husband. Then to turn the corner of the yard where they had been into either a rose garden or plant a large evergreen tree and sod a bit. It's an odd corner and it's ugly right now. I want it un-ugly.

The veggies goal is tomatoes, cukes, squash, onions (already in) peppers, basil....One of the rosemary plants is suffering so I want to baby it a bit. We need some thyme growing somewhere, too.

I've already got tulips and daffodils poking out of the soil. Rose pruning season (along with crepe mrytles, and other shrubs) begins in a week or so.

I love reading garden plans, thanks!

Last year we had a horrible cucumber harvest, but an awesome zucchini crop. I pickled zukes instead and you can't tell the difference between them and the cucumbers! My boys go through a lot of pickles so I was happy to find a way to still make a ton without having to buy cucumbers.

To have a successful container garden. It gets too hot here in summer and the concrete radiates the heat and kills off most of the plants. Nothing flourished last year. Shade is minimal around our house and I have to come up with some type of solution for that.

Have you tried self-watering containers yet? Those may work better since the soil in the pots won't be as prone to drying out. Maybe you could rig a small shade cloth above the containers, too, to keep the heat off!

Does anyone know where to get some free seeds? We would qualify under low income because we have food stamps and wic

If you have any extra funds available in your food stamps, you can use your benefits to buy seeds and/or garden plants used to produce food for the family. The only trick to doing so is finding seeds at a retailer that accepts food stamps.

I believe Wal-Mart already has a few seed racks peeking out up here in the north, so you might want to check there.

Then there is the Wintersown organization for free seeds:

http://wintersown.org/wseo1/Free_Seeds.html

The person who runs the org. is a real gem of a person. She grows much of this seed herself and then gives it away. Many people around the country also contribute seed to her.

I haven't decided what is the next project in my multi-year garden redo. I think I want to continue the front border garden. That will necessitate removing Holly bushes that are too big (and I am not such a fan of Hollies anyway), then planting good ever blooming azeleas ( don't like our current ones) in their place. then I need to decide on other perennials. I don't think I will be done this year- actually who is ever done? The perennial garden I planted last year will need some tweaking too.

I have a large property and my current plan is to get it all relandscaped by another 13-14 years. I expect it will start going faster if two things happen- a) I get my pain levels under control and B) once I don't have a child I am responsible for in the house, which should happen in less than 2.5 years.

Free seeds: try asking on GardenWeb (or watch out). Many people trade and give seeds away.

I'm trying hard not to have a lot of expectations. I have very little full sun.

Along the side of the garage (full south, full sun) where the lot line is I'd like to edge the path/lot line with sun-lovers like peppers or tomatoes. I don't want to annoy my neighbors though.

More tomatoes on the deck again.

Trim some trees, make a path with stones, better watering system, plant some false indigo.

Last year was my first garden and I'm super proud I didn't kill everything I put in the ground. Some things didn't turn out well but we got quite a few tomatoes and a couple cucumbers and some broccoli, even though I planted the broccoli too late in the season. I am a notorious plant murderer, and my husband was very surprised at being able to eat anything that was at my mercy. This year I will put two more raised beds in, doubling the size of my little garden and I will plant more herbs in containers. I can't wait. :)

Maybe we should make this topic a social group but we could divide it into three groups- Ornamental gardening, vegetable/fruit gardening, container gardening. I would be a member of the first and third. We do grow a few vegetables but they have to be on containers because we only have full sun near the pool and on a patio overlooking it. When dd is in college, I will try to get a gardening plot for growing vegetables.

The kids have each asked for a full row this year, so I'm interested to see what their different picks will be for planting.

I bought seeds to try a few new things—edamame, a giant banana squash, spaghetti squash, kohlrabi, an odd-looking pumpkin with a French name, and brussels sprouts.

I sincerely want to be a dedicated weeder for the entire season, but I tend to be only gung ho during the start.

Erica in OR

I despise weeding, that's why I garden in raised beds and go through a bale or two of straw mulch each year. That way those suckers don't have a chance. When the dandelions and sorrel begin blowing into the yard from around the neighborhood, we set the ducks free for a day or two. They love dandelions and sorrel and quickly decimate any that dared encroach onto our property. If it wasn't for the ducks, our lawn would be nothing but weeds.

I have been reading over my catalogs too. My goal this year is to double the size and keep my motivation at a high. :) I want to be able to have enough produce coming in for spaghetti sauce, salsa, stew, jams, etc. I want my pantry stocked! This last year has been a very tough one and I want the security of knowing that we have lots and lots of food.

I hope to add at least 1 beehive, a Dexter mini cow, and possibly a pig. We have the space and a few contacts that will do trades and bargain deals so the animal portion might just be in our grasp. We will also be adding to our chicken flock.

Now of course all that depends on if my husband gets a job locally or half way across the country. Where ever we land I will at the very least have a few tomato plants growing because there is nothing so happy and tasty as fresh ripe tomatoes.

Does anyone know where to get some free seeds? We would qualify under low income because we have food stamps and wic

I have lots and lots I would be willing to share! PM me with a list of what you would like and I will put a package together. Years ago I went crazy with seed buying. I bought over $300 worth of seeds because I just couldn't decide what varieties I wanted the most. I have been using the same seeds since. :D

I will second what has already been said. Food stamp benefits cover seed purchases and I do believe vegetable plants also. I would try Wal-Mart, Fred Meyer or any other one stop shop that accepts food stamps.

I have about 5 raised beds at my house, plus two community garden plots thru a church nearby. I want to organize my garden so I can maximize my bounty but also control bugs (VERY hard to do at a community garden) and grow things that are not easily purchased at the farmers market. I am on the board at our farmers market, so I am there just about every week in the summer. I loved growing onions last year, I am still using ones I harvested. Zucchini is so easy it's a no-brainer. I've planted green beans twice and NEVER harvested any. Last year I had so many beetles on the plants I gave up. I've also been unsuccessful with potatoes, so I hope to try again this year and actually get more than 6 :) I planted garlic in the fall so I hope to have lots of that next year.

Thanks everyone! We are doing square foot gardening because our sun patch soil is really rocky and full of clay. Our sun patch is a patch that isn't all shaded by our oaks and maples, and it's about 3/4ths the way up the drive way so it's going to have to made a habit to check on it daily :)

I'm dreaming that my husband will say he doesn't want to do a garden this year.

LOL, this was me last year. I can only take so many of the expensive "great ideas" that fall apart when he discovers that August is hot and he doesn't want to go outside.

We're replacing a large deck in the backyard, putting in a shed, and building a swing set this year, so no gardening. We're hoping to get all the new raised beds built and filled (need to clear out the compost bin for new stuff), deck boxes built for herbs, and some indoor plants started.

If my berry bushes produce anything this summer, I'll be happy.

It is spring again so I am getting excited for gardening again. Although it already feels like spring. Last night we roasted hot dogs and marshmallows around the fire at my in-laws because it was fairly warm. It feels more like May!

I am planning sugar snap peas and shelling peas plus onions to be planted soon.

Later, I am hoping to plant tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, pumpkins, butternut squash, and my kids want to plant watermelons. I always grow Zinnias along with the veggies in the garden. They look so lovely! I also have a morning glory that I hope will come back this year.

I am planning on starting a herb garden as well.

We have an old orchard so we will be awash in apricots, peaches, and apples. We also have some Asian pears and sometimes have cherries. And, I don't want to even think about how many plums. We have about 40 trees I think and you sort of feel like you might die from being buried in plums come mid-July.

Lovely flowers in pots will be planted by the house.

I also wanted to mention something that will produce free fertilizer for those on a budget or in addition to compost. Last year I started a worm farm with my boys. We just took two 1 gallon ice cream containers and drilled holes in the lid and bottom of the first bucket (tiny holes!). The bucket that was drilled was filled with a little bit of dirt and then my kids and I ran around one day finding worms. We found probably around 50 and put them in the bucket. On top we put veggie and fruit kitchen scraps and then shredded paper on top.The first bucket was placed into the second undrilled bucket so that they are nested together. That way, any liquid can seep out of the top drilled bucket into the bottom bucket. Once the bottom bucket is filled with liquid I put it into a mason jar to use as fertilizer. This "worm tea" is the best fertilizer ever! You can to dilute it to one part "Worm tea" to twenty parts water. You can also use the dirt after it is processed more by the worms. Anyway, I think that any container that nests together and has a tight lid will work so you could find something just laying around. I continue to feed the worms with kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, hair, and egg shells. You can even feed them weeds. You can look online for more information about feeding them and fancier setups. But, this didn't cost me anything and has been really great. This winter we moved our worms into a larger bucket as we found more and they had babies. The only thing that I have discovered it that the paper layer on top needs to be fairly thick and replaced when it gets more disintegrated. If not, a few of my worms have escaped. But, as long as I keep the paper layer going there are no escapees. Anyway, I thought someone might be interested.

1. Relocating my herb garden to a different spot in my yard. Taking out a bed of useless monkey grass and giving it to my herbs.

2. Making our existing garden into a raised bed.

3. Planting some raspberries or blackberries.

4. Being more diligent in my garden mid-summer. I always seem to fade out around July and then regret it come the fall!

5. Get a rain barrel set up. A project for DH!

6. Buy a composter. We have had a pile for a while, but I think the big black box will be tidier and hotter/faster.

7. Finding someone to help me redesign our front yard landscaping.

We moved from a home in the valley to way up in the mountains and Im not sure what to do. I think we are zone 8 here and we have a big deer population (an no fences yet).

I am thinking maybe Ill invest in a temporary/portable greenhouse like this one. Id love to build a more permanent one in the future, but I think that one would be good to start and HOA friendly in the meantime. I want to try out our staple crops this year (tomato, cucumber, zuchini, squash, herbs). Like others I need to setup a rain barrel and composter too. Im excited, but really worried I wont be able to grow what we need up here.

That my garden will weed itself?

I dream that every year, but so far, no dice.

Seriously, though, I will plant tomatoes, potatoes, onions, lettuce, herbs, green peppers and maybe zucchini. We'll harvest wild blackberries and raspberries, too. But I have fantasies about orchards and much more space for my garden. Dh, however, reminds me that the weeds get waist-high as it is... :glare:

This is our first year at my house. I want to turn my entire back and side yard into a garden and to have a few things in the front too but I know it is going to take several years to get there. I am going to start seeds early indoors with a grow light and I don't feel quite ready yet but it is almost time. I want to do a few sheet mulching and hugelkulture beds. I hope I can find all the materials I need. I might do a raised bed too since that is what I am more used to. I will have a week to get my garden planted without the kids around but I am worried it won't be enough time.

1. Get the whole thing planted. Our community garden plot is enormous- bigger than my first apartment- and last year I left over half of it fallow because I just couldn't get my act in order.

2. Grafting my own tomatoes and peppers- this is a science project I hope to do with my science coop, and I hope to benefit from it in the garden!

3. Give each kid their own bed to manage.

4. More winter squash, less summer squash. :-)

5. Corn!

We have an old orchard so we will be awash in apricots, peaches, and apples. We also have some Asian pears and sometimes have cherries. And, I don't want to even think about how many plums. We have about 40 trees I think and you sort of feel like you might die from being buried in plums come mid-July.

I am unspeakably jealous. I want to grow Empire and Pink Lady apples, tart cherries, and Mirabella plums. No room.

I did remember that I want to get a few more raspberry (red this time, I have golden) and blackberry bushes so I have berries every season. I need to trim and fertilize those guys and find a way to protect the currants and gooseberries in the front. The coddle? (really? I wish I could remember but I have the page marked somewhere) bug has been getting into them. They grow great every spring then the bug eats them back down to 1 or 2 leaves, poor things.

Also, June strawberries to interplant with the ever-bearing.

Any ideas for how to plant along an unmarked lot line without annoying your neighbor (who owns 10 of the 12 feet in that section and needs to move his ride-on mower through that 10 feet to move from front to back)? I probably shouldn't. They are one of our nice neighbors. But I have a yard shaded with mature oaks, maple, and arbor vitae. I'm lucky to see a patch of sun between June and October.

Have you tried self-watering containers yet? Those may work better since the soil in the pots won't be as prone to drying out. Maybe you could rig a small shade cloth above the containers, too, to keep the heat off!

Haven't tried those yet, but I am working on the shade. We have orange, lemon, plum, and nectarine trees in large pots. Those provide some shade for the back side of the house where the containers are. I want to try tomatoes again this year. Peppers are fairly easy but I'm the only one that eats them.

My first goal is to finally close on the house that we have been trying to buy since NOVEMBER!!! Looks like it'll be this week. Then we have to actually move in. My garden plan is to have my husband till up a garden for me...around 50 x 30 or so. I want to plant everything I can...anything you can imagine..lol This is my first real garden and I need to see what works for me. I'm going to give my daughter 1 row for herself too.

My concern right now is deer, rabbits, birds, etc. I'm not sure we will be able to fence quick enough. Fencing that big of an area is $$$$!

There is already berry bushes on the property. I'm not sure what kinds yet. I think blackberry and raspberry.

BUT...I have to get the house!