Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

No, mine haven't read the Bible either. That's a pretty hard slog and there are some R-rated passages in there too. I really like Geraldine Macaughrean's bible story books, especially since she's also written so many books about other myths. It emphasizes that these are stories.

Yes I treat the "popular" stories as just that. I want them exposed to them so that they can properly put them into a frame of reference.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok hon. You've confuzzeled me. Your grandson won't be turning one for another three years? Time moves really slowly for me in the south but does it stop altogther in Florida???

:rofl: That's right. We don't like to rush things here. Actually he's a leap day baby.

Leap year/day baby? That's all i can think of.

Yep. It's in my sig.

No, mine haven't read the Bible either. That's a pretty hard slog and there are some R-rated passages in there too. I really like Geraldine Macaughrean's bible story books, especially since she's also written so many books about other myths. It emphasizes that these are stories.

I need to look at these. I also want my kids to know the bible stories as myths. I haven't taught them yet because I was coming from a Christian literal view and I didn't want to scare them. I gave all of the kids babble story books when I gave the other babbles away.

I'm cured fly driving a van full of 7 skateboarders 2 hours each way to a skatepark. Hilarious kids! Not doing the whole Xtian thing makes for a much more laid back Mom. :)

My oldest used to skateboard and it was so much fun to watch them at the skatepark. :)

Ok hon. You've confuzzeled me. Your grandson won't be turning one for another three years? Time moves really slowly for me in the south but does it stop altogther in Florida???

I was also like huh?? I don't see siggies on my phone so didn't catch it. :p

Tomorrow we celebrate ds's birthday and Sunday is mine. Two cakes in a row! :hurray:

Wish me luck making my cake. I'm making a cheesecake and I don't have much experience doing so.

Happy happy happy birthday!! You're turning 22, right? ;)

I have a bil whose birthday is Feb. 29 too! He's very psyched to "only" be 11.

When does he celebrate? Dss & ddil had to decide if they'd celebrate his birthday in February or March, since ddil read people with leap day birthdays have done one or the other. They finally settled on February because, 1. Florida uses February 28 for legal purposes such as driving, age of consent, and voting (each state chooses Feb. or March), and 2. He was in the world in February; he was already here when March arrived.

I understand. On that thread about books you read as a child that you would not let your kids read, I almost posted that I wouldn't be wild about them reading the bible until they were much older than I was. I read it young and multiple times. I have to say it was the most graphic book I read and I read some graphic stuff. I mean two sisters drugging their father to have sex with him so they can have babies? Father offering his daughters to an angry mob to be raped in exchange for not attacking visitors? Convincing a city of men to convert to Judaism and then attacking and kidnapping their wives when the men are laid up from being circumcised? Where does anyone begin to understand that as a child?

I've only tried with one brand of soy cream cheese and it was awful. :( It was runny and gross. I'm sure I screwed it up. Our local supermarket is now carrying another brand of soy cream cheese. Maybe I'll try my hand at it again this month.

I think it's because vegan cream cheese doesn't bake like dairy cream cheese. It may spread and look white on your bagel, but it doesn't have the same structural properties. Sort of like substituting fats or sugars. There are structural differences in your baked goods.

I've made some of Amy's recipes here (though not the cheescake ones):

http://www.damyhealth.com/tag/cheesecake/

They're vegan and raw, so you may have better luck with an edible outcome. ;)

Guest inoubliable

I think it's because vegan cream cheese doesn't bake like dairy cream cheese. It may spread and look white on your bagel, but it doesn't have the same structural properties. Sort of like substituting fats or sugars. There are structural differences in your baked goods.

I've made some of Amy's recipes here (though not the cheescake ones):

http://www.damyhealt...tag/cheesecake/

They're vegan and raw, so you may have better luck with an edible outcome. ;)

Thanks! I'll try that. I desperately need something good to happen today.

dh told me to let him sleep in, so i did . . . including leaving the fan on after the shower (the white noise apparently helps him stay asleep) and closing the bedroom door. He woke up so late he had to rush to his 'play date' with his war game buddy, and was all 'Not THAT late!' gotta be specific, then, dude.

i went grocery shopping. total madhouse. had to give up on trader joes and even whole foods was really nuts. there's some game or something?!

I just found out what I will do for the rest of the weekend!

Wait for my brother to send us pictures of his new sons.

He and his wife have been on adoption list for nearly 2 years. They got a call yesterday that a mother wanted to adopt out her identical twin newborn sons. Mother and father chose my brother and his wife from list.

Bro and s-i-l driving to hospital right now to pick them up.

A tremendous happy surprise.

They will make remarkable parents.

(I've already nicknamed the boys Flerbert and Nubbs. Of course, I suppose they'll get real names. ;)

So Happy!

I just found out what I will do for the rest of the weekend!

Wait for my brother to send us pictures of his new sons.

He and his wife have been on adoption list for nearly 2 years. They got a call yesterday that a mother wanted to adopt out her identical twin newborn sons. Mother and father chose my brother and his wife from list.

Bro and s-i-l driving to hospital right now to pick them up.

A tremendous happy surprise.

They will make remarkable parents.

(I've already nicknamed the boys Flerbert and Nubbs. Of course, I suppose they'll get real names. ;)

So Happy!

That is awesome. Congratulations to them!

I understand. On that thread about books you read as a child that you would not let your kids read, I almost posted that I wouldn't be wild about them reading the bible until they were much older than I was. I read it young and multiple times. I have to say it was the most graphic book I read and I read some graphic stuff. I mean two sisters drugging their father to have sex with him so they can have babies? Father offering his daughters to an angry mob to be raped in exchange for not attacking visitors? Convincing a city of men to convert to Judaism and then attacking and kidnapping their wives when the men are laid up from being circumcised? Where does anyone begin to understand that as a child?

I'm so glad to be in the company of persons who feel that way. Really reading the Bible was one of the biggest pushes that lead to my path AWAY from it. That and reading Left Behind. :)

My oldest used to skateboard and it was so much fun to watch them at the skatepark. :)

They are fun. Scary but fun to watch. It's a really great group of kids too. So funny and respectful. It's a shame skateboarders get such a bad rep. :)

I agree, but I don't think "passing knowledge" means you have to read the bible. I've not made ds read it, but just made sure he knew some of the stories, just like he knows other myths. He read about them, he didn't read them.

Very true, but I still don't think that means you have to read the entire holy book.

I agree. I don't think reading the whole bible is necessary, or even desirable, frankly. I do think that a working knowledge of the stories in the mythology is important, just as is a working knowledge of the other major mythologies and folklores. They crop up in literature all the time, so having that frame of reference just gives you another tool in your literary criticism kit.

Now, if you want to go out and argue with Christians about the errancy of their book, then yes. You'd better be better versed in it than they are. I have no interest in that, however, nor do I feel a need to send my child out on to some imagined religious battlefield, so... I won't be requiring him to read the whole bible. He can if he wants to, but that won't be on his schooltime.

What recipe did you use? And, how was it? I'm intrigued! :)

It was a collaborative effort between my aunt and I. I bought the spores and provide the equipment, she did the fiddling around. :p We were inspired by my copy of Wild Fermentations, but she ended up following instructions online, which, as far as I can tell, said the same thing as the book. She's been fiddling around with the ingredients so last night we had soybean, pepita and chickpea tempeh. It definitely needs to be soaked in something tasty, but that's true of the shop bought stuff too. If you have a grain grinder and a dehydrator, it's pretty easy to make, once you've found somewhere to buy the spores. It's more fiddly without those two machines, but still possible. My aunt rekons it'll work just as well in winter if she moves the developing product from the hot house during the day, to in front of the fire at night and back again, but we'll have to wait and see. For now we're using the dehydrator because it gives us a nice constant temperature and being summer, we have more electricity than we need for free. I think she still has some spore powder left over, but she's taken a lump of one of her test batches, dehydrated it and put it through the blender, and that ought to work just nicely for the next batch.

Just popping in to say that I picked up a book for dd15 this weekend called 'Exploring the way Life Works - The Science of Biology', and that it looks like a really lovely text to use as a biology spine. Totally secular. Nice long chapter on evolution :)

*sigh* another book added to my growing Amazon list. :p

Thanks for sharing! It has really good reviews!

What science texts do people use here? Science is one of the areas in which my son needs the most acceleration.

So far we have used a mix of lots of different books for experiments and reading. My son especially loves Larry Gonick's Cartoon Guides. My son is working through CPO Earth Science this year and next year we are planning on CPO Physical Science. We also have read some books by Jane Goodall, most recently Hope for Animals and their World. CPO is a public school publisher but the quality is quite good. The one downside is that the lab book is not translated to the home setting at all. That said, I like the text portion better than what I have found in the home school market.

Has anyone heard about a gay gene? I've been reading about it and found it really interesting. This gay gene is not only passed on to a person who is homosexual, but also to other family members who are heterosexual. The heterosexual carriers of this gene have more children (especially boys) than non carriers of the gene. My uncle was gay (died in the late 80's), my mom was actually the only girl out of 4 kids, I have 4 kids who are all boys.

i have heard that it runs in families. i dont worry about it too much. i did have a gay uncle, though. well, 2nd cousin, really, but we called him uncle.

kijipt, i cant read the ages of your kids. the font is too small for my old eyes. This year my 4th grader is just reading science books. I got a bunch of books around his reading level and he has to read 15 minutes a day. we did a bunch of random hands-on science last summer, and this summer we will go through the chemistry kit gramma bought him for xmas. he did not like any of the science curriculum we tried. well, maybe any curriculum. we go freeform in math, history we just read stuff together. i was doing bravewriter La but now i'm doing LoE cuz he REALLY needs help. and for geography, Super Secret Adventure or whatever its called, from highlights.

What science texts do people use here? Science is one of the areas in which my son needs the most acceleration.

So far we have used a mix of lots of different books for experiments and reading. My son especially loves Larry Gonick's Cartoon Guides. My son is working through CPO Earth Science this year and next year we are planning on CPO Physical Science. We also have read some books by Jane Goodall, most recently Hope for Animals and their World. CPO is a public school publisher but the quality is quite good. The one downside is that the lab book is not translated to the home setting at all. That said, I like the text portion better than what I have found in the home school market.

We've found Oak Meadow to be good for middle years. Grades 4-8 actually line up nicely with WTM recommendations. I intend to continue using it for high school in similar sequence. In the primary grades, I understand it is mainly nature study, but we did not use it then.

Science here has been a cobbled mess every year. We have to use a lot of school-intended materials too (Evan Moor, etc.)

My son likes the Basher Books and Horrible Science books, and we use a lot of the DK books as well. I'm thinking of going with Galore Park next year, but I don't really see any kind of teacher guide to use with the books. I just ordered this to add to our reference book shelf, but I haven't actually seen it yet. It looks like it's going to be awesome!

Does anyone have any secular botany suggestions?

i have heard that it runs in families. i dont worry about it too much. i did have a gay uncle, though. well, 2nd cousin, really, but we called him uncle.

Oh, I'm not worried about it. My uncle was kicked out of the house and disowned when he came out. Unfortunately, this still happens in far too many families. :( I wonder if scientists could prove it's biological then there would be no more reason to discriminate?

Ipsey, how are the babies? Your family popped into my head last night. I cannot imagine the excitement of, "Wham! You're parents!"

Well, I have all of DD's patches on properly now. We're off to the cold, cold world of cookie sales today. :laugh:

She is actually a little bit excited. She's almost halfway to goal.

As far as I am concerned, science HAS proven homosexuality is "normal." There are gay animals of almost every species we know of. I wish I knew what the BS was going to do.

Has anyone used any of the CK 12 books for science? I have a bunch of them in my Kindle account, and have browsed the website, but haven't really spent enough time trying to figure out if I like them. I'm still not clear on the whole Flex Book thing. For those of you with younger children, I believe CK 12 is middle and high school only.

Has anyone used any of the CK 12 books for science? I have a bunch of them in my Kindle account, and have browsed the website, but haven't really spent enough time trying to figure out if I like them. I'm still not clear on the whole Flex Book thing. For those of you with younger children, I believe CK 12 is middle and high school only.

I haven't used them but I do have them. I showed a couple of them to my b-i-l, I think bio and chem, and he did not think they were thorough enough to be the main high school text. He's a working scientist and lifelong geek, so he probably errs on the cautious side for math and science.

Guest inoubliable

We tried the CK12 for DS12 this year. It bombed here. :( Was really dry and DS12 wasn't retaining any of it. We switched gears and went with Hakim's science. http://www.joyhakim.com

It's working out well so far. He has a notebook to explore things on his own, too, along with some kits on DNA and electricity.

Science: my 7th grader is working through this interactive iBook on her iPad.

https://itunes.apple...490038442?mt=13

Love it, so far!

Thank you for posting this! I'm super excited now instead of dreading curriculum choices for ds12 for next year.

One of the reviews said that chapter 8 (the only one this reviewer previewed) had wrong answers and many errors. What has been your experience? Thanks!

I have pics of my new nephews.

They're darling as can be.

They both broke 4 pounds, born at 36 weeks--mother had no prenatal care and didn't know she was having twins. When she was told to push out the placenta. . . Flerbert was born. :)

They do have actual names now, and they're perfectly charming.

Alas, they'll be in NICU for maybe 7 more days. Flerbert is having a hard time regulating his body temperature and they're not eating very well yet.

Otherwise, happy little boys. Very happy brother and s-i-l.

Happy aunt! :)

i'm struggling with what to do for my senior next year for physics. i was thinking the physics book by the kinetic books ppl, until i realized its not an interactive self-grading program, its just an electronic text, and the answer key is hard to get. I was thinking of the k12 flexbook - i've heard at least one person say they were good - but i find them hard to attack. I'm leaning towards the NROC virtual classes but still, the textbook is $50 used! teaching high school science is kinda a drag. well, teaching high school is kinda a drag. i'm cool with math . . .

ugg, i dont know! He's a smart kid, but he's a tad behind in math - we havent gotten to trig yet. we're on year three of the upper level singapore math. i'm hating doing chemistry but i am not seeing a clear way through physics. i mean, really, the NROC class looks well done. the physicsclassroom does not seem as structured as we need and the saxon . . well, i kinda dont like saxon in general just from the reputation of their math, but yeah, he's probably not going to be ready for the challenge. He's not self motivated, very slow with math, and i'm not very good at forcing him to do a ton of work.

Just popping in to say that I picked up a book for dd15 this weekend called 'Exploring the way Life Works - The Science of Biology', and that it looks like a really lovely text to use as a biology spine. Totally secular. Nice long chapter on evolution :)

There's a complete syllabus on the Quarks & Quirks blog for a HS Bio course using this text, including links to all kinds of online resources, tests, virtual labs, etc.:

http://quarksandquir...ology-hs-level/

Jackie

ugg, i dont know! He's a smart kid, but he's a tad behind in math - we havent gotten to trig yet. we're on year three of the upper level singapore math. i'm hating doing chemistry but i am not seeing a clear way through physics. i mean, really, the NROC class looks well done. the physicsclassroom does not seem as structured as we need and the saxon . . well, i kinda dont like saxon in general just from the reputation of their math, but yeah, he's probably not going to be ready for the challenge. He's not self motivated, very slow with math, and i'm not very good at forcing him to do a ton of work.

That's part of why we keep using Saxon. I really don't care for it, but it does work for ds. The fact that it keeps coming back to concepts again and again is the only thing that keeps ds on track, IMO. Just my thoughts.... FWIW.

I wonder if scientists could prove it's biological then there would be no more reason to discriminate?

It's nice to think people won't discriminate due to a biological reason for something, but I believe skin color is inherited and people discrimiate plenty on that. And gender, and body size (to a point), and so on, and so on...

I have pics of my new nephews.

They're darling as can be.

They both broke 4 pounds, born at 36 weeks--mother had no prenatal care and didn't know she was having twins. When she was told to push out the placenta. . . Flerbert was born. :)

They do have actual names now, and they're perfectly charming.

Alas, they'll be in NICU for maybe 7 more days. Flerbert is having a hard time regulating his body temperature and they're not eating very well yet.

Otherwise, happy little boys. Very happy brother and s-i-l.

Happy aunt! :)

Congratulations, Auntie!! How exciting! :)

Guest inoubliable

I know, I know - it's a Big Game night.

DH and I are settling in to watch this, though, and I figured I'd give it a share in case anyone was interested. :)

"Losing our Religion - Raising Humanist Children"

Anyone else see this?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/02/02/atheist-group-raises-money-for-charity-by-selling-hugs/

I'm curious. What's a Jersey Style hug? LOL.

Fantastic idea, though.

This is such a fun idea! I'm making a goal of getting involved with the local Center for Inquiry. They have tons of events so I just need to break out of my shell. I'm good once I get to know people but struggle with the getting to know strangers stage. :)