Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

So weird! I guess I really do live under a special rock because I have never encountered any of that to that degree around here. I feel quite comfortable here. We considered NC, but I think that would not have been as good for us.

Are you in Chattanooga?? So are there normal people there?? Seriously, BLUE eyeshadow on everyone. I walked into that restaurant and my first thought, "Oh %$#!%$#." And then they started talking and I thought, "Double %$!%$#!"

We roadtripped though there last fall and we drove like bats out of you know where through TN. I don't think we even stopped for gas. We couldn't through there fast enough.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, whoa. Snuggle sacks?? This sounds too cute to not know about! Link? Pics?

Like this

http://www.cosycavies.co.uk/products/snuggle-sacs/

But I made corduroy on the outside (brown with light blue polka dots and random green pears) and green fleece on the inside.

And fleece bedding:

http://www.piggybedspreads.com/

Sorry about the links. I'm on my phone.

When I said special kind of rock, I meant I didn't realize that other parts of the country were so much different.

It is like a different country in some parts of the south. An angry, racist, uneducated, god-"fearing" country... When they had all the seccession talk this fall, I couldn't help but think, "Don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out!"

I'm in a big home canning group on FB. There are a ton of people in it with flags flying upside down as their profile pic. Every single one of them is from Tennessee. :glare:

Guest inoubliable

Like this

http://www.cosycavie...s/snuggle-sacs/

But I made corduroy on the outside (brown with light blue polka dots and random green pears) and green fleece on the inside.

And fleece bedding:

http://www.piggybedspreads.com/

Sorry about the links. I'm on my phone.

I've seen the fleece bedding and thought about making some, but I'm waiting to build out a really nice C&C cage for our piggy. I've never heard of the snuggle sacks, though! I might have to see about getting one for him. Thanks for links! (And if you're making some to sell, feel free to PM me because I may be looking to buy. ;) )

My city is on that list pretty high up. No wonder it is crazy around here. We have secular homeschool groups, so I feel OK in that regard as far as having groups I feel comfortable in. But we do get asked a lot about where we go to church. I always have stuff on my doorstep, too. And people just can't fathom it when you say you don't go to church.

Guest inoubliable

I always have stuff on my doorstep, too.

I hadn't even thought about this until you mentioned it, but in the last few months we've had stuff left on our front door at least once a week. I wonder if this has something to do with recent events (shootings)? I thought maybe it was because of the holidays but it's still going on AND we didn't have stuff left here i prior years. Next time something gets dropped off I'll have to actually look at it and see what it's about.

I hadn't even thought about this until you mentioned it, but in the last few months we've had stuff left on our front door at least once a week. I wonder if this has something to do with recent events (shootings)? I thought maybe it was because of the holidays but it's still going on AND we didn't have stuff left here i prior years. Next time something gets dropped off I'll have to actually look at it and see what it's about.

We never get religious flyers, thankfully. We lived in our house less than a month when DH got fed up with the various flavors of missionaries knocking on the door at all hours and put up a large, bright red sign that says "No Preaching, No Soliciting, No Handbills." Only one ever dared test the sign, and DH chewed the poor guys out for being illiterate.

We see them making their rounds in the neighborhood all the time, but they don't even attempt to walk up our sidewalk anymore.

Guest inoubliable

Hmm. I wonder if we could put up a sign like that. I'm not sure what the rules are for a rental house. I think I'll check on that. Thanks for the idea! Maybe it'll keep the random Avon catalogs away, too.

We live in the country but there is a kingdom hall for Jehovah witnesses about four miles down a highway. Our house seems to be the training ground for the newest recruits (who are still with their mentors). Before kids I used to engage with them and explain our belief system. Post kids I just say no and our 105 lb lab barking his head off usually sends them on their way (he's gentle but protective).

On a separate note, our region is near the middle of the most religious list. It doesn't surprise me, but does validate our experience. I'm from upstate NY and my partner is from Mass. Both were less religious, more diverse, and less religious. However, I did graduate work in FL. That was much more religious and conservative than this.

Our city is near the end of that list. I'm not surprised. I do live in Sin City after all. We get our fair share of missionaries. My boys call them spies (because the LDS missionaries dress like Men In Black). I answer the door and tell them I don't have time to talk; I'm homeschooling. I take their pamphlet because that's one less they have. :laugh:

It is like a different country in some parts of the south. An angry, racist, uneducated, god-"fearing" country... When they had all the seccession talk this fall, I couldn't help but think, "Don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out!"

I'm in a big home canning group on FB. There are a ton of people in it with flags flying upside down as their profile pic. Every single one of them is from Tennessee. :glare:

We have toyed with moving to North Carolina but the weather and wanting our kids to have roots and our support system stop us. It's a beautiful state. That said, I was born in the south and have also lived in Kentucky. I am not really from the place I live. Despite low odds of being accosted religiously, there are many things that bug me about here. We may not have a lot of religion, but folks will evangelize about things like who is the most dedicated bike commuter. :)

Does anyone know what the urban areas are like in NC? Maybe when the kids are grown...

We have a lot of Muslims around here. And

believe it or not even they go door to door. They approach it differently though (which I actually find more disturbing than how the JWs approach things). They host large events that they call "get to know us" type parties where they give out free food, free stuff, and huge raffle prizes (like large screen TVs). That just bugs me on more than just the religious level.

I think some mosques do this less as a conversion technique and more as a "if you know us and we can be friends, maybe people will stop breaking out our windows" type of thing. Some interfaith groups here do community events (picnics, carnivals) to bring people together across religious lines so people feel more comfortable with each other and there is less fear/animosity. I don't think they do swag however.

I found an awesome resource and I didn't really know where else to share it on this board so I hope this is okay. There is an app for evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins's beautifully illustrated (probably directed toward logic stage kids) book "The Magic of Reality." I was getting ready to order the hardcover book when I saw that there is an interactive book app for $13.99. I'm so excited! My ds will be doing logic stage life science next year and I think this is a great supplement. Anyway, if you don't have an ipad and you are interested in the book, do not get the paperback version. It has no illustrations and half of the beauty of the book is in the illustrations (done by Coraline graphic novel artist Dave McKean.)

Anyway, if you don't have an ipad and you are interested in the book, do not get the paperback version. It has no illustrations and half of the beauty of the book is in the illustrations (done by Coraline graphic novel artist Dave McKean.)

We have the hardback; I agree that the illustrations add to the book. I wonder why they didn't include them in the paperback.

We have the hardback; I agree that the illustrations add to the book. I wonder why they didn't include them in the paperback.

Probably to keep the price down. The paperback is only $11 and the hardback is $33. There must be a few illustrations in the paperback, though, as it still lists the illustrator on the cover. I haven't actually seen either; I'm just going by the Amazon previews and online reviews.

Probably to keep the price down. The paperback is only $11 and the hardback is $33. There must be a few illustrations in the paperback, though, as it still lists the illustrator on the cover. I haven't actually seen either; I'm just going by the Amazon previews and online reviews.

Yes, that's quite a difference in price. We still would have enjoyed the book without all the illustrations, but I'm glad we have them. I can see for some students the pictures would be a big draw, though. Especially younger ones.

I hope so.

I feel like people are pretty tolerant around here though. Maybe I'm delusional, but this probably isn't the worst place to be if one is a Muslim. KWIM?

The local mosque did that here for a while and they went around churches giving lectures about their religion. it turns out, some muslims in town were receiving death threats and notes under their doors. Local police thought maybe teenagers were responsible, but nobody found anything. I don't know how it all ended. We live in a liberal part of CA with lots of diversity around.

I have never never encountered a Jew, an orthodox Christian, a catholic or a Muslim trying to convert me. It seems to be always protestants or Mormons, at least around here.

We have a lot of Muslims around here. And believe it or not even they go door to door. They approach it differently though (which I actually find more disturbing than how the JWs approach things). They host large events that they call "get to know us" type parties where they give out free food, free stuff, and huge raffle prizes (like large screen TVs). That just bugs me on more than just the religious level.

I guess the more people who "get to know" them, the fewer people they have accusing them of being psycho terrorists. So, are you volunteering to be our secret reporter? Because I, for one, want to know how good the food is. :p

We have toyed with moving to North Carolina but the weather and wanting our kids to have roots and our support system stop us. It's a beautiful state. That said, I was born in the south and have also lived in Kentucky. I am not really from the place I live. Despite low odds of being accosted religiously, there are many things that bug me about here. We may not have a lot of religion, but folks will evangelize about things like who is the most dedicated bike commuter. :)

Does anyone know what the urban areas are like in NC? Maybe when the kids are grown...

I wonder about NC too!! It seems perfect to me - ocean and mountains. I like the 4 seasons of northern Michigan but our state is getting worse and worse politically. It's apparently exciting in Detroit right now - there's a giant permaculture movement fighting back against the condo movement. Ultimately though, I'm afraid the money will win.

I thought 2012 would be our year of the move but it will either be 2013 or never. I'm happy either way as long as it's not Tennessee. One of DH's friends is lobbying hard for him to consider Canada. That would be exciting as heck to me but I'm not sure I could get all our animals in and that would be a deal breaker.

I found an awesome resource and I didn't really know where else to share it on this board so I hope this is okay. There is an app for evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins's beautifully illustrated (probably directed toward logic stage kids) book "The Magic of Reality." I was getting ready to order the hardcover book when I saw that there is an interactive book app for $13.99. I'm so excited! My ds will be doing logic stage life science next year and I think this is a great supplement. Anyway, if you don't have an ipad and you are interested in the book, do not get the paperback version. It has no illustrations and half of the beauty of the book is in the illustrations (done by Coraline graphic novel artist Dave McKean.)

We have the iPad book. My husband has been reading it. It looks done well from what I've seen.

My sister lives in Durham. She likes it from what I hear. The universities have a lot of stuff going on. She's active in what she has described as a fairly crunchy attachment parenting group.

I'd say she's either atheist or agnostic.

what about arizona? did you see they proposed making kids make some sort of pledge including god in it, in order to graduate from high school? aside from the heat, everything i hear about arizona makes me want to stay far, far away. i mean, i hate the heat, too. but man they sound nuts

Guest inoubliable

I think some mosques do this less as a conversion technique and more as a "if you know us and we can be friends, maybe people will stop breaking out our windows" type of thing. Some interfaith groups here do community events (picnics, carnivals) to bring people together across religious lines so people feel more comfortable with each other and there is less fear/animosity. I don't think they do swag however.

We have a group of Quakers that do this here. Recently, anyway. They hold something every other Wednesday night as a sort of "Who Are We?" series. We thought about going to learn more about the group and what they believe in, just so we'd know more about our neighbors. I see the value in that - knowing more so that fear and ignorance aren't setting fires and vandalizing buildings, kwim?

Guest inoubliable

We got the hardcover when it first came out and it is gorgeous. All of my kids have really enjoyed looking through it and reading it or having me read to them out of it.

Guest inoubliable

I guess the more people who "get to know" them, the fewer people they have accusing them of being psycho terrorists. So, are you volunteering to be our secret reporter? Because I, for one, want to know how good the food is. :p

http://www.secretchurchshopper.com/

Make a little moola on the side, eh? Eh??

what about arizona? did you see they proposed making kids make some sort of pledge including god in it, in order to graduate from high school? aside from the heat, everything i hear about arizona makes me want to stay far, far away. i mean, i hate the heat, too. but man they sound nuts

What else have you heard about AZ? DH is going to have to transfer to keep his job and that is one of the options (the other is Dallas) that we are considering. I'd love to hear more if you remember anything else!

Wow! I want this book! Is the iPad app the actual book or just a supplement to it? I'm going to admit my science knowledge is seriously lacking. I'm a product of creationism teaching so I'm pretty much self teaching myself evolution and science right now. I never knew the whys of anything - just God made it. I was seriously told God made the rainbow as a sign he would never flood the world again. That's why they come after it rains. But I never learned the science behind it.

Guest inoubliable

:blink:

Not sure what to say about that, really...

LOL. About a year ago I got an email from someone showing me job openings for church mystery shoppers. I came *this* close to doing it.

The local mosque did that here for a while and they went around churches giving lectures about their religion. it turns out, some muslims in town were receiving death threats and notes under their doors. Local police thought maybe teenagers were responsible, but nobody found anything. I don't know how it all ended. We live in a liberal part of CA with lots of diversity around.

I have never never encountered a Jew, an orthodox Christian, a catholic or a Muslim trying to convert me. It seems to be always protestants or Mormons, at least around here.

I know several Hindus and my childhood friend is Muslim and they've never tried to convert me. They've never talked about their religion. I have not had good experience with Catholics OTOH. DH's family is Catholic and they are convinced our children are going to hell because they aren't baptized. Apparently even babies go to hell if they aren't baptized. At least Protestants will apply the Age of Readon. Children won't go to hell until after 12 or so. The Mormons in our neighborhood don't go door to door but hold classes and workshops on gardening, finances, stockpiling, and stuff like that. I've never gone so IDK.

What else have you heard about AZ? DH is going to have to transfer to keep his job and that is one of the options (the other is Dallas) that we are considering. I'd love to hear more if you remember anything else!

My brother is in Dallas. Let me know if y'all end up moving there and he can hook you up with the Freethinking/Athiests groups. There is a lot going on there. :)

. One of DH's friends is lobbying hard for him to consider Canada. That would be exciting as heck to me but I'm not sure I could get all our animals in and that would be a deal breaker.

We are working on a move to Australia. We had considered Canada but I don't think I could handle the weather. DH has a coworker in Canada who loves it there. Australia is in our 1 to 2 year plan right now. :D

Isnt arizona the place where they made it the law that all hispanic people have to have id proving they are citizens? and there was something else crazy and oppressive, maybe was that where they were saying its illegal to have an abortion if you were raped because any pregnancy is part of the evidence in the legal case? or was that somewhere else.

Yes, the ipad version of Reality has the whole book plus interactive stuff. I considered getting it but stuck with the library book. except then a friend sent me a pdf of the book . .he said its no different than reading the library book. but i was reading it to the boys and they got tired of it.

did i already mention that my french canadian husband promises we'll retire to canada? i'd take canada over tx or australia any day. well, at least, i think so. i hate the heat but i admit, as i get older, the snow doesnt appeal. but i really love sunny and cold. today it was 35 and it felt so warm! i loved being able to wear my warm clothing this past week. when its in the 90s for weeks, i just feel sick all the time. when its cold, i just need to stay active. but i worry that when i'm old i'll be too sick to be active.

We are working on a move to Australia. We had considered Canada but I don't think I could handle the weather. DH has a coworker in Canada who loves it there. Australia is in our 1 to 2 year plan right now. :D

I've thought about Australia but then I really couldn't bring my animals so NO. I have a couple of good friends on the Gold Coast and while I love their pics and I'm planning on a visit in 2014, it is either 150 there or they are sandbagging their houses and their cars are floating into the ocean. :D

Plus, I would really miss 4 seasons.

I wonder about NC too!! It seems perfect to me - ocean and mountains. I like the 4 seasons of northern Michigan but our state is getting worse and worse politically. It's apparently exciting in Detroit right now - there's a giant permaculture movement fighting back against the condo movement. Ultimately though, I'm afraid the money will win.

I thought 2012 would be our year of the move but it will either be 2013 or never. I'm happy either way as long as it's not Tennessee. One of DH's friends is lobbying hard for him to consider Canada. That would be exciting as heck to me but I'm not sure I could get all our animals in and that would be a deal breaker.

I brought my cat with no problem. Just had to have proof of recent vaccinations.

I've heard arguments saying since we've never actually seen a species evolve in our lifetime then evolution never happened. They don't get that a species doesn't evolve in one lifetime. At least visibly enough to notice.

Sorry to be so late with a reply, I've been out and about all weekend. I wanted to recommend this book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beak_of_the_Finch

It's almost 20 years old, but it's truly fascinating and explains how the finches in the Galapagos observably change in real time.

I've heard arguments saying since we've never actually seen a species evolve in our lifetime then evolution never happened. They don't get that a species doesn't evolve in one lifetime. At least visibly enough to notice.

So ask why they have to come out with a new flu vax every year. Why people keep getting colds. Why some antibiotics aren't effective anymore.

Also point out what happened with the peppered moths is England. They changed in a really short time frame. That is an example of natural selection.

Guest inoubliable

Oh man. Thanks for the recommendation. Have you guys seen

My kids have been obsessed with Horribly Histories DVDs since we could get them shipped here and this video is on their queue on YouTube. The part with the different birds and different beaks grabs DS5's attention every. time. I must have this book now!!

(That song inspired DS12's xmas gift, too. http://www.redbubble.com/people/hereticwear/works/9530142-galapagos-style )

Oh man. Thanks for the recommendation. Have you guys seen

My kids have been obsessed with Horribly Histories DVDs since we could get them shipped here and this video is on their queue on YouTube. The part with the different birds and different beaks grabs DS5's attention every. time. I must have this book now!!

(That song inspired DS12's xmas gift, too. http://www.redbubble.com/people/hereticwear/works/9530142-galapagos-style )

I just watched it with my kids and they love it! I do too :D