Menu

6th grade plans??

Has a 6th grade thread been started yet? I'm already freaking out about 6th grade..... :bored:

Here's my tentative schedule:

Math: Discovering Maths 8/AoPS Intro to Algebra(not sure how far we'll get)

LA: Hake Grammar 7

IEW SWI-C

Poetry for Beginners A/B

SWO H

Lit: MP Guides for Trojan War and Bronze Bow, various other lit for Ancients

Hist: K12 Human Odyssey

Sci: CPO Life

French: First Start French II (we are liking First Start French so far...)

Spanish: class at charter school

Logic: Art of Argument

Art: Phonics of Drawing

Music: continue piano

P.E.: Ballet/swimming

Would love to see other plans!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Editing, because already plans have changed . . .

Math: MM6, with a bunch of supplements: Zaccaro, HOE, Life of Fred PreAlgebra, etc.

Writing: Finish up WWS1 - we have the Research and Final Projects sections left to do. Finish Essay Voyage- the last 5 chapters. Then, I'm trying to decide whether to start WWS, or whether to do LToW first, or whether to do both, highly modified. Ruth's recent review convinced me that LToW might have something to offer us, beyond the excellent instruction in WWS. I'm also reading a bunch of writing books, and may end up trying to adapt the curricula more substantially

LA - for spelling, we will finish LOE using the Advanced spelling lists (half this year, half next year).

For Grammar & Vocab, we will finish up MCT Voyage level and start Level 4. We will also be doing Kilgallon's Grammar for Middle School

Foreign Language - we dropped Latin (!) and are working through Getting Started With Spanish. Not sure what we'll do when we finish it.

History - We'll be picking up at ~1900, finishing up the modern age, then studying prehistory at the end of the year. 7th grade will be Ancients

Science - Story of Science: Newton at the Center plus the Quest Guides, with the Thames & Kosmos Milestones of Science kit. We plan to expand the early section and do a study of the solar system using The Planets by Dava Sobel (love this book!) and add in McHenry's The Elements to dig deeper into chemistry

Literature - we don't use a program, but we will read, discuss, and write about things like Treasure Island, Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde, The Invisible Man, Animal Farm, The Giver, Autobiography of Malcolm X, The TIme Machine, The War of the Worlds. I might put together a more in-depth unit on Sherlock Holmes, we love him. She will also read a lot of history-linked lit on her own.

Logic/Critical Thinking - We're starting with Zacarro's 10 Things Future Scientists and Mathemeticians Need to Know but are rarely taught, then work through Art of Argument

Outside activities: swimming, horseback riding, and theater

Haven't read the others yet, but I will. Here is what I know for next year:

Rod and Staff math 7

Rod and Staff English 6

Rod and Staff Spelling 7

Second Form Latin

Spanish for Children A (continue, we do this slowly, and will try to finish it next year..)

Classical House of Learning Logic Stage Middle Ages

Well Trained Mind History logic stage ancients (KHE)

Geography Coloring Book, sometimes the Complete Book of Maps and Geography for fun

Science is up in the air. On WTM rotation, it would be Earth Science and Astronomy/Space next year.

I have: Memoria Press 3rd grade Astronomy for my younger next year and a telescope. I will get her a copy of the workbook to do alongside whatever else.

I have considered the Memoria Press guide and the Tiner's Earth Science book. I will probably get those. But she may take a science class at co-op next year. They usually do Apologia though, which I don't like :( But they do all of the fun hands on there that she loves. We shall see.

dance classes, Robotics team, Latin club, and Girl scouts for extras...

ETA>>> mindbenders, we will continue them.

Memoria Press Christian Studies II (we don't do the workbook, but we use the T.M as a guide and create a notebook to go along, plus we do the maps and the tests.

And art and music? Do you see piano in my sig. Well, it is a lie this year LOL We will start that back up. And I have lots of ideas for art. We have Usborne books on artists and art in history that we read along with our history, and I like the What Your 6th Grader Needs to Know art and music sections. I always have her read through those. Plus I will be doing Arty Facts Earth with earth science. But she would like to start watercolor painting and get back to DWC to finish chp. 5 that we never did. My kids are very artistic, but I haven't had the time to follow through with it this year...

tentatively because we only recently started 5th...

MATH: AoPS Number Theory & Counting and Probability

ENGLISH: WWS 2, MCT's Magic Lens 1 & WWW 1, still undecided on lit? to correlate with Middle Ages

SCIENCE: Conceptual Physics & several kits

HISTORY: HO Vol. 2 & OUPs Medieval & Early Modern

LATIN: finish Latin Prep 2, start 3

SPANISH: Breaking the Spanish Barrier 2

ELECTIVES: ?????????????

Editing to add changes. It's all set in stone now, since it's in my little homeschool planner app. :p

MATH -- Saxon Algebra 1/2, split over the next two years, so as to slow her down a bit and hit Algebra 1 in eighth grade; we're also going to supplement with word problems and other applications over the next couple of years.

SCIENCE -- Mr. Q's Chemistry

HISTORY -- 20th Century US history, and the Prairie Primer. I feel kind of called to one last storybook year for her, kind of a last year of childhood before she hits the upper half of the grades.

GEOGRAPHY -- the Great Global Puzzle Challenge with Google Earth, coupled with GeoScribe notebooking sheets and supplemental library books

LATIN -- whatever level of Latin's Not So Tough is right, levels 4 and 5, maybe 6

FRENCH -- ditching this; she wants a change. She wants to try Chinese or Italian, so we're going to play around with Mango language online and see which she likes.

ART -- continue with ARTistic Pursuits.

MUSIC and PICTURE STUDY -- whatever composers and artists we decide to do, haven't chosen them yet. I had hoped to study Mendelssohn and Wagner this year and didn't get to it, so they're at least on the list to try again. Co-op may do composer and picture study too. Also, the MusIQ program from Adventus.

WRITING and LANGUAGE ARTS -- Writing With Skill 1 and Figuratively Speaking. Everything else, as needed, more of an organic, in-context approach related to writing. Decided not to try any sort of dedicated grammar/etc. except for some sentence diagramming.

LOGIC -- Art of Argument

Still undecided about Bible.

Oxford University Press's World In Ancient Times series. It matches up pretty nicely with HO.

I'm looking forward to A of A!

Of course! I knew about Oxford but had a brain freeze there.

I like the looks of A of A -- and especially that it has a dvd, too! Thanks for the tip in that direction!

Our plan doesn't look like anything else listed yet.

Math - Finish Singapore 5B and then ?

Language - WWS1 + continue Killgallon Sentence Composing + dictation

Literature - read good books, list TBD

History - Grade 6 from Catholic Textbook Project

Science - Grade 6 Oak Meadow

Latin - Latin Prep

She'll continue with her outside activities: dance, basketball, and knitting

I can't believe I'm starting to think about 6th grade already! Ack. I'm really torn on what we'll do. I know we'll do the following:

Latin Prep 2 and 3

Finish up GP's Intro to Classical Greek and then?????

Finish TT6 (he's almost done with TT5 and we'll move straight to 6) and TT7

GWG 6

Phonetics Zoo Spelling B

Building Thinking Skills 3-Figural

Piano

Reading to correspond with Middle Ages history study

Elemental Science Biology

Human Odyssey Middle Ages (with Student Pages) and possibly Dorothy Mills MA

Middle Ages Maps, but I'm still on the hunt for a good set

Oooooh, I hadn't heard of Art of Argument before -- that looks great! Definitely want to try that with my sixth grader next year. This year we've been doing logic once a week (using the CryptoMindBenders book), and that's worked well; AoA looks like it would work well to do once a week as well, even if takes more than one year.

I hadn't thought about it before reading this thread - <gulp> - panic! :willy_nilly: :scared:

Lemme go take a peek at MP and see what they have for 6th grade...we have been very happy with the MP products we have been using for 5th grade.

Ok, here is my tentative plan:

Grammar: R&S English 6

Spelling: R&S 6

Writing: finish up Jump In and start something...maybe WWS?

Lit: MP guides for Anne of Green Gables, The Bronze Bow, The Hobbit, and Treasure Island

History: Famous Men of Greece (classical studies), The Story of the 13 Colonies/200 Q's about American History (modern studies)

Classical Lit: Horatius at the Bridge, The Trojan War

Geography: MP Europe, North Africa & Middle East

Bible: Christian Studies II

Latin: Second Form Latin

Math: Not .A. Clue. We are in a holding pattern right now while she works on being accurate and not making careless mistakes. I am not sure if she has actually learned any new material during the last calendar year :banghead: . At some point we will get off this merry-go-round and begin pre-algebra. I would love to continue with LOF since it is a good match for her, but the temptation to just copy the worked solutions for each lesson and not do the work is too great for her, so I have to find something else. Self-teaching does not work for this child (because all the self-teaching programs have the answers right there!!!), so I have to keep looking for a pre-algebra curriculum that teaches to a high level of capability but assumes a low level of maturity. So far I have had no luck.

Science: more panic! :willy_nilly: I have no idea yet.

Logic: Ummm...I remember looking at something when I was planning 5th grade and thinking that it would be perfect for 6th grade...I wonder what it was. :confused:

Art: Something off my shelves. I have bought numerous art curriculums and never started them. 6th grade is old enough to teach herself art from a book, right? At least with art she will actually get somewhere by copying out of the book, lol! :lol:

Music: Piano lessons and choir!

Clear Creek, did you get your new MP catalog yet? They have new science guides to go along with the Tiner series. I am thinking of getting the Earth science one. I used their 5th grade set this year, and it was pretty good. We really liked the bird unit and learned a lot. The guide to go with the Tiner book was pretty dry, but the book itself is good.

I will say, It isn't all we have done for science though. They are lacking hands on, but they are good for the classical element.. I also would like to use their 6th grade tree unit since we liked the bird one so much.

We go year round and kind of start something as it ends, but here's our current plan:

LA: LLLOTR (slowly, already started, probably will take 2 years with detours) and Bravewriter style writing, a Bravewriter class as well

Math: MUS Epsilon (finish), pre-Algebra - sigh, I'm looking at curricula now. It cannot be self taught or video, which is fine. We don't use the MUS videos at all; I teach the lesson. He gets easily overwhelmed with many problems on a page, which is one (of multiple) reason(s) MUS has been a good fit. He doesn't care why; he just wants "to do the problem already!" However, his conceptual understanding is better than his computation, which is fine one day and gone the next. So, yeah, I'm looking.

History: Con't with Journey Across Time with extras

Science: self designed

Geography: Mapping the World with Art and The Great Gobal Puzzle Challenge with Google Earth

Art: Harmony Fine Arts w/Artistic Pursuits

Extras: He does hockey, we have 2 park days, lots of field trips, and currently are volunteering 1x a week. He committed to 3 months to the place we're volunteering, so although I would like him to continue to volunteer, I don't know if it will be out of the house or not. Right now, we're out of the house nearly everyday, which he loves and drains me.

Clear Creek, did you get your new MP catalog yet? They have new science guides to go along with the Tiner series. I am thinking of getting the Earth science one. I used their 5th grade set this year, and it was pretty good. We really liked the bird unit and learned a lot. The guide to go with the Tiner book was pretty dry, but the book itself is good.

I will say, It isn't all we have done for science though. They are lacking hands on, but they are good for the classical element.. I also would like to use their 6th grade tree unit since we liked the bird one so much.

I got the catalog a few days ago, but I haven't had a chance to look through it yet. I just looked at previews of the Tiner books on Amazon, and I really like them! I don't know how I missed hearing about these, lol! I may have to use my MP gift card to order one and look it over. They are missing the hands-on element of science that my kids enjoy, but that is easy enough to add in. The description for the MP guides say that they have quizzes, reviews, and tests...do they actually add something significant to the studies, or would we do fine with just the Tiner books? We don't do the quizzes and tests in any of the other MP products we use (except for the Latin, but I use them as additional worksheets) because they look like they are just designed so that the students memorize/regurgitate/brain dump. How long would you say it would take the average student to work through a Tiner book?

Do you combine your girls for science? That would be my only issue...up until now, we have always done science together. My plan is to separate them when my older is in 7th grade (that is when I want to start hitting science with more seriousness and less fun/exploration), but that means that they would be together for science for one more year. The Tiner books look to be about right for 5th and up, so I would either have to teach them science separately beginning this coming year or go with something else...or supplement whatever we use with one of the Tiner books for my older daughter. Or (thinking aloud here), I have a third child, lol! He will be in 1st grade this year, and while the Apologia Exploring Creation series is above the heads of the average 1st grader, I don't think that is what I am working with here (at least not compared with my older two children), so I could combine the younger two.

Hmmm, lots to think about.

Love these threads! Thanks for sharing, everyone!

We school almost year-round and this is what we are planning for "6th" grade:

Math: parts of Math Mammoth 6, then start Pre-Algebra (still researching)

Writing: Writing With Skill 1 and Kilgallon's Paragraphs for Middle School (new release) when we need a WWS break

Vocabulary:  Wordly Wise 8 + English from the Roots Up (half the year) and MCT Caesar's English (other half of the year)

Grammar: finish Hake Grammar 5 (then skip to Hake 8 and spread it over two years) + Editor in Chief (half the year) and MCT Grammar Town (half the year)

Literature: Mosdos Pearl, Garlic Press guides for The Bridge to Terabithia and Where the Red Fern Grows, Figuratively Speaking, and an independent reading list which is a mixture of serious stuff and fun

Science: Elemental Science logic stage earth/astronomy as a spine, CPO Earth for extra reading and enrichment activities, TOPS Rocks & Minerals with supply kit, weather study kit and fossil kit from Home Science Tools, Discover Nature in the Weather, Basher books, plus McHenry's Carbon Chemistry just because he asked for it

History (in the middle of a 3-year cycle for world history followed by a year of American, so 6th grade will be late Middle Ages to 1800s, 7th grade 1800s to current, and a year of AH in 8th (& 11th - to free up 12th grade for 2 advanced sciences):  outlining from white Kingfisher spine, K12 Human Odyssey V2 for additional reading, with selected questions from K12 teacher guide for comprehension and connections, continue DVD series from The Great Courses World History: The Fertile Crescent to the American Revolution, listen to SOTW audiobooks, parts of Famous Men of Modern Times

Spanish: varying mixture of Visual Link, DuoLingo, Practice Makes Perfect Basic Spanish workbook, Easy Spanish Reader

PE and Health: weekly homeschool PE class, baseball, swim team, karate, Harcourt Health & Fitness

daily fun stuff:  CNN Student News w/ discussions (August thru May only), Brain Pop app ($1.99 per month provides 5 new related videos every day)

Home Ec/Life Skills: adding to the things he already does around the house - independently prepare at least one full meal per month, assist with basic vehicle maintenance checks, learn more home and lawn/landscaping maintenance

extras - each usually once per week:

Geography: various workbooks, The States DVDs, Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego DVDs, Stack the States/Countries apps, various online resources: seterra, sheppardsoftware, aaawhere, kids.nationalgeographic, 50states, neok12, Wakko's America song

Logic/Critical Thinking: finish Perplexors, finish Orbiting with Logic, then Critical Thinking Book 1, CTC World History Detective (not aligned with history studies, used as history review and critical thinking activity)

Art and Music: art and music sections of What Your 6th Grader Needs to Know, Artistic Pursuits (he prefers mostly reading/appreciation, not the hands on part), Smart Art: Learning to Classify and Critique Art, Connect the Thoughts: Bach to Rock, Music Appreciation SQUILT Volume 1 (Baroque Composers), American Popular Music activity book - I expect to use all these resources spread over 2 years since we usually only have time & interest for one day per week

(edited)

My plans for DS10 are as follows:

Language Arts - R&S 6; Classical Comp Fable & Narrative Combo and second half of WWS1; lit selections tied to history; Abeka 6 spelling

Math - R&S 6

History - BJU World Studies with Book of the Middle Ages & Book of Renaissance/Reformation by Dorothy Mills

Science - BJU 6

Latin - First Form

. . .

Geography: Mapping the World with Art and The Great Global Puzzle Challenge with Google Earth

. . .

Trillian, I haven't heard of The Great Gobal Puzzle Challenge with Google Earth. It sounds interesting . . . would you mind please sharing more about that?

We go year round and kind of start something as it ends, but here's our current plan:

LA: LLLOTR (slowly, already started, probably will take 2 years with detours) and Bravewriter style writing, a Bravewriter class as well

Math: MUS Epsilon (finish), pre-Algebra - sigh, I'm looking at curricula now. It cannot be self taught or video, which is fine. We don't use the MUS videos at all; I teach the lesson. He gets easily overwhelmed with many problems on a page, which is one (of multiple) reason(s) MUS has been a good fit. He doesn't care why; he just wants "to do the problem already!" However, his conceptual understanding is better than his computation, which is fine one day and gone the next. So, yeah, I'm looking.

History: Con't with Journey Across Time with extras

Science: self designed

Geography: Mapping the World with Art and The Great Gobal Puzzle Challenge with Google Earth

Art: Harmony Fine Arts w/Artistic Pursuits

Extras: He does hockey, we have 2 park days, lots of field trips, and currently are volunteering 1x a week. He committed to 3 months to the place we're volunteering, so although I would like him to continue to volunteer, I don't know if it will be out of the house or not. Right now, we're out of the house nearly everyday, which he loves and drains me.

Trillian, can you talk more about how it's going with LLOTR? I posted another thread asking what ages people were using that . . . can you tell me how it's going with your 10 yo? And what parts you are doing now vs. maybe saving for later? I'm considering this at some point, trying to figure out when . . .

Thanks!

Trillian, can you talk more about how it's going with LLOTR? I posted another thread asking what ages people were using that . . . can you tell me how it's going with your 10 yo? And what parts you are doing now vs. maybe saving for later? I'm considering this at some point, trying to figure out when . . .

Thanks!

I too am interested!

Trillian, I haven't heard of The Great Gobal Puzzle Challenge with Google Earth. It sounds interesting . . . would you mind please sharing more about that?

The Great Global Puzzle is a book http://www.amazon.com/Great-Global-Puzzle-Challenge-Google/dp/B008W3BEMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358028284&sr=8-1&keywords=the+great+global+puzzle+challenge . It's in the bargain bin at Amazon right now. DS was resistant to the idea of geography, but he loves google earth (and drawing), so that's how I picked the two programs. Each double page features a different city and gives directions on how to "get there" on google earth, things to look up while there (and how), and questions to answer. It looks a lot like a Where's Waldo (in terms of the pictures); I can see this bothering some kids, but DS will really like it I think.

Thanks!

Well, we've only been using it for a week (which is actually why I didn't reply to that thread). DS read LOTRs last year and begged to read them again this year (for school, I told him he was welcome to in his free time). He is extremely particular about books and when he's in between we can both get stressed out with him finding something he likes (just a little background on why I started it now).

I moved some of the Unit Studies around. So, for instance, we did the Unit Studies on the author, the setting, and the maps before he'll start the reading. I knew DS would not want to stop in the middle of a book to do a unit study, before or after sure, but not midway, especially when they involve reading another work (so there might be a long pause). I plan to read to him during the unit studies some of the longer works because I just don't think he's quite ready to tackle them solo yet.

I have no intention of having him do the fill in the blanks or the vocab. I have been surprised already at how willing/eager he has been to do some of the writing. Generally he likes creative writing but not so much scholastic writing. It was a nice surprise to have him glad to do some.

So, that gives and idea of our plans, but other than he liked the first week, I can't really tell you how it will go overall.

The Great Global Puzzle is a book http://www.amazon.co...uzzle challenge . It's in the bargain bin at Amazon right now. DS was resistant to the idea of geography, but he loves google earth (and drawing), so that's how I picked the two programs. Each double page features a different city and gives directions on how to "get there" on google earth, things to look up while there (and how), and questions to answer. It looks a lot like a Where's Waldo (in terms of the pictures); I can see this bothering some kids, but DS will really like it I think.

Well, we've only been using it for a week (which is actually why I didn't reply to that thread). DS read LOTRs last year and begged to read them again this year (for school, I told him he was welcome to in his free time). He is extremely particular about books and when he's in between we can both get stressed out with him finding something he likes (just a little background on why I started it now).

I moved some of the Unit Studies around. So, for instance, we did the Unit Studies on the author, the setting, and the maps before he'll start the reading. I knew DS would not want to stop in the middle of a book to do a unit study, before or after sure, but not midway, especially when they involve reading another work (so there might be a long pause). I plan to read to him during the unit studies some of the longer works because I just don't think he's quite ready to tackle them solo yet.

I have no intention of having him do the fill in the blanks or the vocab. I have been surprised already at how willing/eager he has been to do some of the writing. Generally he likes creative writing but not so much scholastic writing. It was a nice surprise to have him glad to do some.

So, that gives and idea of our plans, but other than he liked the first week, I can't really tell you how it will go overall.

Thanks for the feedback, anyway! It's good to hear the logic behind people's choices, and how they got where they are. I hope you keep enjoying it!

The Great Global Puzzle is a book http://www.amazon.co...uzzle challenge . It's in the bargain bin at Amazon right now. DS was resistant to the idea of geography, but he loves google earth (and drawing), so that's how I picked the two programs. Each double page features a different city and gives directions on how to "get there" on google earth, things to look up while there (and how), and questions to answer. It looks a lot like a Where's Waldo (in terms of the pictures); I can see this bothering some kids, but DS will really like it I think.

Looks cool! Thank you!!!

Here is the plan for 6th

Math: TT PreAlgebra w/ LOF PreAlgebra

Grammar: R&S 6*

Lit: Various with Socratic Discussion

Writing: WWS1*

Spelling: Phonetic Zoo 2

History: MOH 2

Science: Apologia's new Chemistry/Physics (supposed to be out in Spring) supplemented with the Tiner books (will have to check out the new MP guides previously mentioned)

Music: R&S

Art: Artpac

*Pretty much have decided to switch grammar and writing to Essentials in Writing.

Latin: Visual Latin

Following this thread with great interest. I feel like for the first time I have no idea where to go from here.

Math: at a total loss. We are currently using R&S 6 but I think we are ready for algebra. 6 has been too easy, and 7 seems like a repeat of 6. I know there are old threads about this that I hope I can find. I gave him a Saxon placement test at the beginning of the year and he placed into 7/6, so maybe 8/7? Algebra?

Reading: we'll keep on keeping on, using Sonlight book lists or other quality literature. I am looking more for guided questions to go along with readings. His reading comprehension is great but his reading speed is so slow so we do need to work on this as well.

Spelling: will keep on with AAS.

Writing: will keep on with IEW although I'm not sure which program. I'm going to try and fold my 3rd grader in as well.

Grammar: I miss FLL. We've been using Hake 5 but I just don't love it. I will probably keep on going with Hake 6.

History: oh boy. Do I hate History Odyssey for ancients. I need something new for middle ages.

Science: we've done Elemental Science since 1st grade and will use earth/space for the logic stage

Logic: we've been slackers. Will most likely just follow WTM recommendations.

Latin: not even on my radar unfortunately :leaving:

It's too early! Seriously, I'm not ready to think about it yet, but I know I need to start.

Latin: Latin Prep 2

History: Middle Ages using Human Odyssey as a spine (end of volume 1 and into vol. 2)

Geography: MP Geography 2 with review packet for Geo. 1

Grammar: R and S English 6, minus the writing assignments. I'm tempted to use AG instead, but we'll start here and see how it goes

Writing: WWS2

Art: Calvert history of architecture. Would love to find a semester drawing class, maybe something online.

Music: covered through extra-curriculars.

Those were the no-brainers. The rest I'm waffling.

Math: pre-algebra, probably either Lial's or MUS algebra 1. Most likely will get there mid-fall.

Spanish: ??? Something low-key. I need to look at GSWS.

Literature: we use SWB's approach to lit. analysis. However, this spring I'm trying one of the MP guides again for The Bronze Bow, and if we like it I may use one of those each trimester next year. Of course there will be the usual book list to choose from, some will be connected to history studies, some will not.

Science: we will do some earth and astronomy topics next year for sure, but I don't know about spines yet. We used CPO Life this year as one of our spines, but not as a full program. It isn't necessary to assign lots of reading and questions to have this science-loving child read, retain, and do science, so I am keeping a large component of interest-led again this year. I will look at CPO Earth, as I did like some of the sequence and experiments for Life.

The problem I had with CPO Life is it tries to be very broad without going into sufficient depth for a child who is vey interested. The human body chapters, for example, are appalling.

Logic: Art of Argument

I also plan to be more intentional about regular reading and discussion of current events beginning this year.

Math: finish MUS Zeta and Singapore 6a/6b...move onto pre-algebra (used textbooks are on the way from amazon so I can decide)

Language Arts:

typing instructor (has some fine motor issues and is never going to write quickly, so he has got to increase his typing speed)

Exercises in English F, possibly moving into G (I too miss FLL!)

Spelling Workout finishing up G, moving into H

IEW Medieval History writing or Writing With Skill 1 (which he wasn't ready for this year...maybe for 6th?)

Science: one of the Science Explorer books (trying to decide which) or botany

history: Medieval/Logic level/ K12 History Odyssey + WTM recommendations

art: Discovering Great Artists, Artistic Pursuits, a little Medieval art & music appreciation

Critical Thinking 1 & 2

I know I "should be" doing Latin + a foreign language, but ds struggles with language and so we're focusing on composition for another year or two until we have to start a foreign language (per state university acceptance requirements)

outside activities: boy scouts, legos

Logic: Ummm...I remember looking at something when I was planning 5th grade and thinking that it would be perfect for 6th grade...I wonder what it was. :confused:

I so have to laugh because that happens to me. All.the.time. ;-). I try to keep my ideas in my Evernote account, but I am far from consistent in getting them there.

This is what we have so far, VERY tentative since much of it depends on where we are at the end of the year.

History - TOg y2d, renaissance and reformation study. I actually combine SL and WTM with TOG and use TOG as a base to keep my rear-end in motion because I love history and could go on many, many rabbit-trails if left to my own devices (sheepish grin.)

Math - that depends on where we leave off this year. We will probably be finishing Horizons 6 at the beginning of the year and then go into AoPS Pre-Alg when we are finished.

Lit - included in TOG and adding in books that interest us and using SWB's advice from her Literary Analysis talk... I saw her give this at the Cincy convention last April and she just makes it so common sense and... Doable:-)

Latin - Visual Latin 2

Science - really stuck on this one. We have been using SL science which has been fine. But, I think the next level for us would be the Apologia course and I am not a huge Apologia fan. It isn't bad and I know some people swear by it, but it isn't a huge fit here. I am thinking maybe Hakim SOS? That is something I am going to have to lurk on some boards to figure out, lol.

LA - the next book in KISS Grammar. If I can be consistent with Classical Writing Homer (which I am having a hard time doing for some reason) for the rest of this year, then maybe Diogenes next year. Or WWS. We will continue with Sequential Spelling and EFTRU.

Logic - possibly Art of Argument...

Bible - we just read and pull in patterned after my quiet time each day (most of the time)

The other pieces are guitar lessons, artistic pursuits, possibly mapping the world with art, and I still haven't found a foreign language program that is grabbing me... More research

Of course, it wouldn't be any fun at all if I had it all figured out this early. I think planning for the next year is what gets me through the long Wisconsin winters, :-)

Some good suggestions here for things I forgot about! Like logic.

History/lit: Sonlight E

Math: TT7, I think

Grammar: AG

Science: ES logic earth and space

Writing: ????? I may stay simple and get WWW 5 or 6...he is a reluctant writer and the workbook, formulaic style works for him.

Now thinking about vocab and logic....anything computer based?

I still am deciding but here's what I'm considering at the moment:

LA:

• Continue on with Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop. She's going to be starting level C next week so I'm guessing she will do D & perhaps start E next year.
  • Continue spelling bee prep with Hexco materials.
  • Finish Walch Poetry and Prose Toolbook, start Drama Toolbook to learn lit analysis terms
  • Sadlier-Oxford Grammar & Writing for Standardized Tests Grade 9 (blech, but I may have her take the SAT next year instead of waiting until 7th in order to gain access to above-level talent search courses)
  • MP The Trojan War lit guide
  • IEW Ancient History-Based Writing Lessons theme

Math:

• Singapore Discovering Mathematics 8
  • Selected word problems from Larson's Elementary Algebra
  • If required by our virtual charter (I'm still waiting to get an answer from the administrators), the tests and as little else as I can get away with doing from CGP California Algebra 1 (the best of the state-approved textbooks the charter's lending library had available). I'm hoping that since the new edition of DM 8 meets the Common Core Standards this won't be necessary.

History & Geography:

• K12 Human Odyssey Vol. 1 with the student pages
  • MP Famous Men of Greece and Famous Men of Rome. I probably will have her only do the full assignments for selected stories and just have the rest be independent reading.
  • MP Geography 1. This is something I had originally planned for this year, but we're behind so I decided to skip over Europe, the Middle East, and Northern Africa in our study of World Geography and hit that concurrently with Ancients.
  • Finish the chapters in Glencoe World Geography and the Oak Meadow curriculum covering Europe, the Middle East, and Northern Africa that we're skipping this year.

Science:

• Chemistry TBD. I'm considering Mr. Q.'s Advanced Chemistry, Suchocki Conceptual Chemistry, and ACS Chemistry in the Community.

Logic:

• Actually get around to doing the Art of Argument that has been sitting untouched on my bookshelf.

Latin:

• Actually get around to doing the LfC A that has been sitting untouched on my shelf.

We've been having issues this year with getting core subjects done in a timely fashion and by the time those are, I haven't had the energy to do Logic or Latin. I've justified it to myself that my DD is young for her grade (October birthday) and that 5th grade is still early in the logic stage. But I really do want to get Logic and Latin into our schedule next year.

Now thinking about vocab and logic....anything computer based?

I haven't used it, but there is an online version of Wordly Wise 3000 vocabulary. (We use the workbooks and I really like this vocab program.) I believe I've seen the online version offered on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.

Nothing set in stone yet here...

MM 6

Rod and Staff Grammar

AAS 7 or use Spelling Power (since I have it already)

WWS 1 or CW.

Not sure on science...

History: Modern times. I'm trying to decide if I want to try Sonlight core E . A friend of mine raves about SL and has offered to let me use her core. Not sure I want to read all that historical fiction, though.

Lit: Doing discussions and some lit guides. Planning on using the following books so far: Westing Game, Across Five Aprils, Number the Stars, King Arthur by Green.

Latin: Getting Started with Latin. (attempting this for the 3rd year.) :glare:

Maybe Wordly Wise for vocab. This is another one my friend recommends....

Logic: Fallacy Detective?

Artistic Pursuits

I would love to continue with LOF since it is a good match for her, but the temptation to just copy the worked solutions for each lesson and not do the work is too great for her, so I have to find something else. Self-teaching does not work for this child (because all the self-teaching programs have the answers right there!!!), so I have to keep looking for a pre-algebra curriculum that teaches to a high level of capability but assumes a low level of maturity. So far I have had no luck.

I put sticky-notes over the answers to "your turn" in LOF. It's a bit of a pain, but I usually do a few chapters ahead, to avoid the temptation to peek. Then she takes them off to check after doing the problems in her notebook.

As for 6th grade, we'll mostly continue what we've been doing: LOF, Forms Series Latin, SOTW & Kingfisher Encyc, and add in more history/science reports instead of a grammar program. I can't decide whether to spend some time on earth/space science or move into Rainbow Science. I'm combining with little sister, so that's a consideration here and why I was originally thinking Rainbow for 7th & 8th (when little is in 5th & 6th).

MM 6

R&S English 6

R&S Spelling 6

Logic Liftoff

Narrations, outlines and lit. essays a la SWB

History Revealed: Romans, Reformers & Revolutionaries

Science: We're kind of going independent next year since I'll have a small baby so I'm going to have him pick from one of our many science books, read, do experiments and lab reports/narrations.

Art: Lamb's Book of Art 1 from How Great Thou Art.... see how that goes. We haven't done a "real" art course yet, just fun projects I find online.

piano lessons

I have just started thinking about 6th grade. 6th grade!?! How did my baby grow up so fast?

Math: Life of Fred and Balance Benders. She's in the middle of Decimals/Percents, so I expect Pre-Algebra, possibly Algebra next year.

Latin: finish Lively Latin I, moving into LL2 late in 6th grade

History: my own version of Human Odyssey, possibly snitching ideas from History Odyssey & SOTW; Middle Ages

Science: either my own version or Rainbow Science if I can swing the cost, lots of outside classes -- this is her love

Spelling: All About Spelling

Logic: ???

Literature, Writing, Music & Art: Easy Peasy All in One homeschool (note: it's not easy peasy if you don't use the whole program, but it is free)

Extras: Awanas, violin (meant to start lessons this year, but didn't for various reasons), TKD (she wants to give it a try)

If we continue with our current stuff, she'll do:
Math: Horizons Pre-A
Grammar: Hake 6
Reading: Seton 6
Writing: combo of Writing Strands and finishing up Jump In
Vocab: Seton 6
Logic: Orbiting w/ Logic, Fallacy Detective
Science: BJU 6
History: Ancients w/ World History Detective, spine not decided yet
Music: Concert Choir
art: Atelier
Spanish: outside class
P.E.: year-round soccer, summer swim team

edited to reflect changes!

Calvert 6

Saxon Math 7/6
Spanish NOW! 
Programming with Dad

For Bible we will be using Bible Study Fellowship 

I just loved the cohesiveness we had with Calvert, the support, the fresh ideas when we were stuck and the variety. So we are going back for 4th/6th.

(edited because we are using Saxon Math with Calvert, and no longer taking Koine Greek.)

Next year my ds will be registered as a 5th grader with the state of TN. He is 10yo with a fall b'day and misses the tn cut-offf. However, I am seriously considering just enrolling him in Calvert 6 with ATS without Calvert math.

I have no idea what we will do about math- maybe TT Geometry and MUS PreCalc.

I suppose he will continue with mandolin and violin lessons and junior orchestra.

He doesn't care about his education and it is just emotionally exhausting dealing with his apathy and constant, persistent daily shenanigans aimed at completing the absolute least amount of work at the lowest level of output just to call it finished when I know he is capable of so much more.

Wallering in the winter blahs-

Mandy

We decided on science for next year: science explorer earth science. Yay! I am glad to have that decision made!

Calvert 6 uses five Science Explorer titles including Inside Earth, Earth's Waters, and Weather and Climate. Yeah, Calvert showing up in a giant box is looking better every day. :)

Mandy

I predict we're going to do:

Math: Foerster's Algebra

Science: McHenry Elements and Carbon Chem

History/Literature/Geography/Religion:

Non-western history / unit studies with K12HO and OUP

Literature (possibly w/ study guides) related to history studies

World Religions related to history studies

Mapping the world with art

Latin: Latiin Prep 2

Ballet and art outsourced

Math - MCP

English, spelling, comprehension & thinking skills, vocabulary, bible history, art - Seton

Cursive - OLVS

History - All Ye Lands

Science - Harcourt text and plans from Kolbe

Art - Art w/a Purpose

Latin for Children

Custom Reading List

Maybe drums

I predict we're going to do:

Jacob's Algebra

McHenry Elements and Carbon Chem

Story of US

Art of Argument

Latin Prep 2

Something for English/writing...

Literature guides related to history

Ballet and art outsourced

When you say Story of US, what are you going to *do* with it? I would like to use this with my upcoming 6th grader and not sure if we are just going to read through it, outline it....or what!?

beckyjo, I'd love to see what you come up with! We're doing a mix of SOTW ancients/K12 Human Odyssey/Famous Men of Greece and Rome this year---it's been fun, but I don't think I've got the right balance.

Lial and Larson Pre-Algebra have arrived. I'm waiting on Aufmann and Dolciani. We still might end up with another year of MUS or switching over to AoPS, but I wanted to scout new materials after finishing up a long string of Singapore Math + MUS. We don't switch curricula often, but this seemed like a natural jumping point if we wanted to jump. So far, ds has not been happy with the looks of Lial's layout.

He doesn't care about his education and it is just emotionally exhausting dealing with his apathy and constant, persistent daily shenanigans aimed at completing the absolute least amount of work at the lowest level of output just to call it finished when I know he is capable of so much more.

Wallering in the winter blahs-

Mandy

Sounds like my ds. Sigh.

Mostly my ds will be doing the same thing his sister did this year, but I combine them for science/history, so they'll do that again next year.

This will change a million times. So far:

Art of Argument

Runkle World Geography & my own evil weekly drills

Sonlight core F once we finish D & E

Math...depends on our progress. Saxon 87 for review and Pre-algebra w/AoPS or Singapore?

Apples & Pears spelling

Rod & Staff English 6

Bravewriter

WWS taken slowly or CW Homer?

Daily copywork (dysgraphia)

Continue Mom's Religious studies stuff

ACS Chemistry, RS4K Chem, McHenry science

Typing program? (IDEAS??) he finished Dance Mat Typing.

Rosetta Stone French cont.

Latin Prep (or FFL?)

Ancient Greek

When you say Story of US, what are you going to *do* with it? I would like to use this with my upcoming 6th grader and not sure if we are just going to read through it, outline it....or what!?

I might do what we're doing now with a bunch of different resources about the renaissance and reformation. The kids have a portfolio (currently History Portfolio -- but I'm guessing I'll just use the same idea and do it myself) and they will read something from a textbook and then write a paragraph or definition or outline or essay and draw a picture or color a map or something like that. Today, for instance, they read a short encyclopedia article on the counter reformation and wrote a paragraph on it and a paragraph about the Council of Trent and then drew a picture of Loyola and St. Theresa of Avila. Tomorrow, they might watch a short video if I can find something...

I like the portfolio idea because it gives us some structure and gives them something they are very proud of.

Other than that, I do also have the entire set of Story of US and also a test book, which I'll probably assign to keep us on track. But who knows? I tend to figure these things as I go along...

Thanks Momling! I have a tendency to start with plans and in the end ( like now) we read the text and talk about it ..lol. So I like to hear how others accomplish history; I worry I am giving ds a bum deal.

I started to write out my plans but then realized I have to put a ? by just about everything. That makes me look indecisive and silly so I am just reading for now :gnorsi: