Menu

Do we have a 7th grade thread for next year yet?

I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t believe my little girl is going into seventh grade. svengo.gif She excels at getting her work done with the exception of math. LOL.

Math- TT 7/ TT Pre Alg (finish TT 7- start pre-algebra mid-year) also considering Hands on Equations....

History- SL G on a three day/ or four day schedule- no planning involved for me - this is my final update (I bought it)! geez.. rolleyes.gif

leaving.gif
English-  The Grammar Key
my own and some of the SL LA writing
Megawords

French- Powerspeak, not sure about this one..she is going to see if she really wants to learn French and we may switch to something else

Spanish- Visual Link and ACE workbooks in for retention

Science- RSO Bio 2

Art- Atelier level 6

Music Theory 1 &2 - Connect the Thoughts (this looks wonderful!)
and playing on the piano and with the viola..

Bible- unsure
Computer programming-  Scratch and Alice (she plays around with these- she's designing games- it's awesome!)
Handicrafts- potholders, imaginative crafts (she loves coming up with her own), jewelry, hand sewing

Dance-jazz class

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may change slightly, but my 7th grade boy will most likely be doing:

Bible - group devotions using Long Story Short (and moving on to Old Story New around February)

History - Mystery of History Vol 2 (Middle Ages)

Science - Apologia General Science

Math - Horizons Pre-Algebra

English - Rod and Staff 7

Literature - Kolbe Academy Jr. High Literature

Handwriting - Zaner-Bloser (because his handwriting is getting better but still needs work)

Spanish - The Learnables Book 1 and Basic Structures 1

Critical Thinking - The Fallacy Detective

Computer Science - KidCoder game programming (1st semester) and typing (2nd semester--not sure what program we'll use yet)

Art/Music Appreciation - Greatest Artists/Composers (from www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com)

PE - continuing Tae Kwon Do lessons

And we'll probably spend a week or two on TX history using A Cartoon History of Texas as a read aloud and/or the Texas State History Lapbook Journal from www.knowledgeboxcentral.com.

Math: Key to Algebra

History: Story of the World Middle Ages, Maps Charts Graphs

Literature: Beowulf, Mabinogion, Norse Myths, King Arthur, Arabian Nights, Canterbury Tales

Writing: Writing with Ease 3 and/or Remedia Understanding Paragraphs plus copywork from literature selections

English: Language Smarts, Awesome Alliteration Metaphor Similes and More, Take a Bite out of Rhyme Poetry, Comprehension Plus

Spelling: Christian Liberty Press 7

Science: Misc. unit studies

Spanish: Destinos

Piano

CLE Math

CLE LA

Apologia General Science

MFW Exploration to 1850s History, Bible and Music

Music lessons for Piano and Saxophone

German (?)

God and the History of Art

I am not decided on writing yet. Pretty sure he'll use CW 2 from PHP, but I am also looking for something that teaches outlining simply, so that he can outline and write reports on what he's learning in history. Maybe I will put up another thread on this, b/c I'm feeling lost in my decision.

Am I missing anything?

I may have gone overboard, but here is the game plan.

Summer reading/discussion: Dorothy Mills "The Middle Ages" from MP

Summer review: Multiplication, decimal/percentage flashcard memory game with dh

Bible: Finishing CLP's Studying God's Word E Genesis through Ruth

Language Arts: A Beka 7th grade

Grammar and Composition 1

Of People

Vocabulary, Spelling, Poetry 1

Literature: Memoria Press

The Trojan War with Lit guide - Fall Semester

Robin Hood with Lit guide - Fall Semester

Veritas Press

Tom Sawyer with Lit guide- Spring Semester

Required reading by mom

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

Anne of Green Gables - use for ABeka book report

Logic: The Fallacy Detective

Math: A Beka

Basic Mathematics

History: A Beka

History of the World

World Geography, Eastern Hemisphere

Science: A Beka

Order and Design

French: Memoria Press

First Start French 1

Art: A Beka

Watercolor and lessons with dh. He is a classical painter.

P.E.: Hip hop, tumbling, and tap at the YMCA

Home Ec: Continued cooking lessons with me

Edited by Freckles

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying to figure everything out!

So far:

Math: AoP pre-algebra

LA: WWS continue with wws1 as we started late in the year

Caesar's English 1 and 2

Grammar voyage and a world of poetry (MCT)

Working through the mensa middle school reading list

Language: spanish (haven't picked a curriculum)

Science: Help me! I have no idea

History Sotw early modern times with an emphasis on American History (maybe use some history pockets)

Music: guitar lessons

Art: We are going to find private art lessons

PE: swim team

I feel silly posting, b/c I haven't in so long! But:

Math: AoPS Pre-Algebra, second half, then possibly the first contest prep book to fill out the year?

Language Arts: Continue with MCT Level 4, begin Level 5. And we use Kilgallon's Sentence Composition as a supplement. Spelling Workout G. I think that's it.

Literature: As usual, I build my own lit list, which I can post when I have it if anyone wants to see.

History: Finish parts of OUP's Medieval and Early Modern World, first 1/2 of K12's Human Odyssey: Our Modern World

Greek: Athenaze

Latin: Latin Prep

Science: Finish Newton at the Center...and here is where I'm still torn. We have used CK-12's Earth Science text this year and LOVED it. But when I looked last, there was no Middle School Chem text. Now I see a new one, slated for completion by April, called Chemistry Concepts: Intermediate. It looks like it's on Boy11's level. I'm just making sure it's not "Intermediate Chemistry-- for when you've finished Chemistry 1" or something like that. And I feel like we should have a separate lab program, like maybe this one?

He takes art classes locally and uses Artistic Pursuits. Music is pretty haphazard, but we do it. We'll do First Lego League...we do every year. And I'm adding logic back in, but I don't know what yet...Rulebook for Arguments and...?

• 1 month later...

Simplify, simplify... (And, I just bought a bunch of stuff, so...)

Here's my very rough list right now:

LA:

-Lightning Lit 7 ??? Changed to Figuratively Speaking & lit to go along with history.

-GWG7 or G.U.M. 7 or KISS Level 2 (etc.) Just ordered it, so I hope I like it.

-Classical Writing Homer B or WWS1

Math:

-Pre-Algebra fence straddler Started Abeka's Pre-Algebra (w/DVDs)

Foreign Language(s):

-First Form Latin

-Finishing up Spanish For Children A then Getting Started With Spanish, then going back to SfCA.

Religion

-Fr. Fox's Catholic Truth for Youth + some 'put it into practice' assignments

History

- Catholic Textbook Project tweaking Curmudgeonry's plan

Science

- if it is out, perhaps Classiquest's Earth/Space Science or Abeka's 8th Grade Earth/Space science??

Logic

- CAP's Art of Argument

Still hoping to add Mapping the World With Art & poetry memorization.

Saille,

<We have used CK-12's Earth Science text this year and LOVED it.>

Do you have an isbn/link for this? I thought CK12's science was online only. If there's a physical text for this, I'd be interested in it for my daughter in the fall.

Thanks,

yvonne

I don't have it figured out yet. I'm just typing to visualize my thoughts, lol. Everything is still in the research phase. This will eventually be trimmed down a LOT.

BIBLE/CHARACTER: ??? (Apologia? Honorable Boy? Discover 4 Yourself by Precept Ministries? Explorers Quest? Proverbs study?) If our history program has built-in Bible that I like, I'll just keep it simple and use that. Character/Purity: ???

MATH: most likely Lial's BCM, possibly w/ LOF for fun. -or- Still researching Dolciani, Foerster, Jacob's, Zaccaro (is this meant only as a supplement?), Derek Owens, VideoText, and a few others.

ENGLISH: WWS1; R&S 6 or 7, dep. on how far we get in the meantime; finish up SWO/AAS (if that's too much, just focus on AAS); practice penmanship with Donna Young's DIY plan & Presidential Penmanship (since I have it & he needs the practice).

LATIN/VOCAB: Memoria Press, probably First Form. Finish up EftRU for vocab/reinforcement, then begin VfCR A.

LITERATURE: Either Teaching the Classics with my own booklist; -or- LL7; -or- LLfLotR; -or- straight WTM lit. w/ Figuratively Speaking, possibly with CHOLL; -or- a mix of pre-made guides to go with my own booklist; -or- a Narnia study; -or- CLE Reading for the terms/devices with a list of books to read & discuss.

HISTORY: I'm not even sure whether to only continue with world history or to begin a separate U.S. history study. Winter Promise American Crossings & Cultures look so fun... but it's very different from our usual WTM history. I want to keep the WTM logic stage assignments no matter what. Notgrass? Just do WTM world history + SOTW (since this is our first go-round with it) and MOH audios? MOH as the main curric. + SOTW audios? Textbooks + a few projects & added reading? My list goes on...

GEOGRAPHY: I'm hoping to tie this in to history using Uncle Josh's maps & Knowledge Quest (I have an old CD-Rom of maps from them, too), and the Geography Coloring Book, and just add mapwork a la WTM. Runkle's or Mapping the World with Art (McHenry) both look so good, but I think this schedule is too full for them.

SCIENCE: BJU Life, -or- Apologia General, -or- Chem/Physics using Ellen McHenry/ACS free middle school/???, -or- Earth/Space using God's Design from AIG (since I have it) beefed up with Tiner, How the Earth Works, & other WTM logic-stage rec's. I'd like to look at Tarbuck for E/S.

ART: Atelier and/or outside class or some art kits we have on drawing, watercolor, & sculpting; maybe some of the free Donna Young lessons; study artists chronologically as they come up in history & add to timeline. (Not all of this is at the same time. We would be picking & choosing 1 at a time, doing 1 - 2 lessons per week; perhaps only for 1 semester).

MUSIC: homemade composer study which includes correlation w/ history; learn the recorder and/or tin whistle at home?; -or- perhaps I can inspire him to want to play an instrument? (Only 1 of these at a time; perhaps only for a semester overall.)

*maybe* CIVICS/ECON: Civics: Notgrass Uncle Sam & You; Econ: Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? or other intro. to Mises/Austrian economics

PE/HEALTH: Exercise (his sport of interest, going to gym, playing & working outside, swimming); Horizons -or- Abeka -or- Total Health -or- Nourishing Traditions

LOGIC: I'm still researching our options.

My youngest is 7th grade &

he'll do the following.

Math Saxon 8/7

LA- CLE 7

Science Apologia Physical Science at our co-op, he'll take it with his 8th grade brother and I will probably help them with the reading, we'll read out loud during the week.

Robotics course at the co-op

P.E. class at co-op

Trail Guide to World Geography with lots of extra reading historical books to go along. We'll also do quite a bit of cooking and learning about food from various countries.

Bible-we'll do together I plan to go through Power of a Praying Teen and maybe some other devotional book/Teen type book

That's all that's planned for now.

... because I know I'm not the only one planning. Lol.

Math: Teaching Textbooks Algebra I (I'm not sure if I'm going to regret this with a mathy child, but I need her to be more independent next year)

Finish Horizons Prealgebra (this summer or early fall), head into Jacobs

Grammar: Hake 8 MCT Town

Art History: A Child's History of Art, Painting (Calvert) Art at co-op

Writing: Writing With Skill MCT Town with Killgallon

Literature: Memoria Press 6th grade literature program Lit Analysis at co-op

Latin: First Form Latin

Other language: online ASL class Italian (duolingo)

History: either Dorothy Mills' Middle Ages *or* K12's Human Odyssey (HO only if she masters outlining this year, on some level) Light to the Nations volume 1

Science: I'd like to go with Ruth's plan that she wrote out for me and I will if I can get DD11 more independent in some other areas, if not I'll go with Mr. Q's advanced Chemistry I guess. Anatomy at co-op, earth and space at home (Holt Science and Technology)

Religion: Catholic Heritage Curriculum grade 7 religion program

Reading Comprehension: CHC's "Stories of the Saints" volume 3

I'll have a kindergartner next year too, so I'm worried about what I'll have *time* for.

This is my 2nd time through 7th grade...but this son is polar opposite from his older brother, so I feel like I'm on a first go-round. I am letting him drop Latin. He hates it with a passion. He has studied it since 3rd grade...never willingly...and will begin French in 8th, so I guess one year off from language will not harm him. It is worth the peace it will bring to me. :)

• Bible: The Most Important Thing You Will Ever Study by Starr Meade plus Youth Bible Drill
  • Grammar: finish Hake 6, begin Hake 7
  • Writing: The Potter's School Writer's Workshop
  • Spelling: Phonetic Zoo
  • Literature: personal reading list compiled from numerous online lists
  • Math: Lial's Basic College Mathematics
  • Science: BJU's Life Science
  • History: 2nd half of America the Beautiful by Notgrass
  • Logic: various logic workbooks

Now that I finally have 2nd semester 6th grade planned, I can think about 7th grade. <shiver>

Math: Singapore 6B/LoF PreAlgebra 1 first semester and either Dolciani PreAlgebra Accelerated/LoF PreAlgebra 2 -or- MUS Algebra/LoF PreAlgebra second semester. We have to wait and see as we work through first semester. We dropped Singapore 6; there just wasn't enough there for ds11. We are now working through Lial's PreAlgebra (opted for Lial's over Dolciani because I feel very strongly about having word problems/application problems in every lesson if possible; Dolciani seemed lighter in that department). We will continue Lial's PreA in 7th grade combined with LoF PreAlgebra (both books if possible - he does these much more independently).

History: moving through Ancients (Greece and Rome) with K12 Human Odyssey plus a couple Catholic history books into Medieval Times using lessons/maps from History Odyssey level 2. I think we are moving our spine to our Catholic history book and using K12 as our supplement. I'm not positive as I like them both. Plus, I may keep with my spring-time experiment of having ds11 and ds9 (5th grade next year), read through assigned pages and then taking time together to discuss/do mapwork/etc. Up until this spring, I had been reading out loud for them.

Science: I'm pretty sure we'll do REAL Science Odyssey Biology level 2. I'm waiting for it to be released so I can look at samples, but out of the various curricula we have used, we all liked the REAL Science Odyssey year the best. If I don't like it, I'm not sure what to do. Maybe we'll try the So You Really Want to Learn Science (I think that's the right name). We are actually going to do REAL Science Odyssey Chemistry (level 1- I know it's supposed to only be for 2-5 grade, but I'm adding some extra books and activities to make it a good introduction to chemistry for ds11).

Literature: "Good Books" list books; some read aloud and some assigned, discussing them with Teaching the Classics.

Writing: A mix between Bravewriter and WWS

Grammar: I'm seriously considering Analytical Grammar for ds to spread out over a three-year period (finishing sometime in 9th grade). We get a lot of grammar through Latin, but I think AG will help solidify some stuff.

Latin: Latin for Children A (also taking care of vocabulary and grammar) We are going to add Lingua Angelica to our Friday Latin studies for fun.

Logic: Not sure yet what to do with this. If we go with a curriculum, I lean towards Classical Academic Press materials. But really I don't know.

Religion: Faith & Life 7; I might introduce a couple Amy Welborn Prove It! books as I think we'll be done reading through Marigold Hunt's books. And Bible. And Saints. F&L 7 will either be independent or not done; we just started a catechism called Totally Catholic, which is written for the 9-12 year old crowd, but covers all the Sacraments (ds11 and ds9 will both be entering the Church next Easter so I feel we need not only regular religious ed., but Sacrament prep too).

I think that covers it.

I'm guessing we just post our 7th grade plan so we can kind-of compare plans?

Here are my plans for 7th grade next fall:

History & Geography - Tapestry of Grace, Year 3

Church History - Tapestry of Grace, Year 3

Literature - Tapestry of Grace, Year 3

Saxon 8/7 or Algebra 1/2

Life of Fred (supplemental - my kids love it & think LoF is so fun)

Xtra Math (online drills - my kids hate this, but I think every little bit helps)

Rod & Staff 7 (English grammar)

Write from the Heart (online writing class)

Writing with Skill (finish the last half, started this past Jan)

Vocabulary from Classical Roots A & B

BJU Life Science

Second Form Latin (DVD course)

Logic -The Art of Argument haven't decided - maybe Traditional Logic (DVD course)

Art - local co-op outside art class from a local woman who teaches out of her home

Does this sound OK? I'm always up for some good reassurance. :)

We switched things again. Not my fault. Well, kind of. Some of the co-op classes were full, by the time we registered today, so we had to take alternatives - actually turned out better because the writing and grammar teachers have experience teaching dyslexic children! So now our plan looks like this (and has to stay this way, since I've already registered, lol):

Co-op classes:

IEW Writing 2

Grammar (Shurley)

Engineering

Anatomy

At home:

Math (finish Horizons Pre A, start Jacobs in late fall)

History (Light to the Nations, volume 1)

Vocabulary (Caesar's English *or* Marie's Words)

Religion (Catholic Heritage Curriculum grade 7)

Reading Comp (Stories of the Saints volume 3)

Poetry (Catholic Heritage Curriculum)

Spelling (continue Apples and Pears C, move into D at some point)

Tentative Plans:

History: BiblioPlan Midieval with

Project Passport from Homeschool in the woods

Math: CLE 6

Hands on Equations

Science: Rainbow Science (most likely)

LA: Considering MCT

Writing: The Cover Story

Spelling: The Phonetic Zoo

Logic: The Art of Argument

Zoology: Still looking - want something that can build from zoology land animals

I'm still trying to narrow down which math to use. That really depends, since we do math through the summer! The rest I also need to narrow. I think some we'll do as block studies.

Updated as of now:

Literature:

A huge list for free reading & discussion

MCT lit set "Search"

Duke TIP Reader's Journey 1

Lightning Lit 7

Grammar, Spelling, and writing:

Grammar Voyage

Essay Voyage

Rod and Staff 6 - maybe if MCT doesn't work out again

AAS 7

R & S spelling 7 after AAS 7

Finish WWS

Bravewriter

Math:

Deciding between CLE 7, NEM 1, or Saxon 1/2

K12 Algebra & Geometry

Patty Paper Geometry

Science:

Plate Earth Science (mostly for fun-she wants to go into archaeology or geology)

Ellen McHenry The Elements and Carbon Chemistry

Dh's chem labs (he's a chem professor)

RS4K Chemistry

ACS Chemistry

Geography:

Living books

Runkle World Geo.

finish Mapping the World with Art

History:

Oak Meadow 7

Lukeion workshops

History Odyssey

Logic, etc.:

The Discovery of Deduction

Stottlemier's Discovery

Languages:

Latin Prep

SYRWTL French

Cont. Rosetta Stone

Typing instruction (cont.)

Aikido (cont.)

Suzuki violin (cont.)

Piano (cont.)

Soccer & softball (cont.)

Edited!

Our 7th grade plans...

Keeping it simple so there's plenty of time to explore his interests.

Math - Lial's BCM and LOF PreAlgebra with Biology

Literature - Teaching the Classics

Writing - The Writer's Jungle

Science - Elemental Science LS Biology

History - Story of the World Vol. 2 (second half) & Vol. 3

Extras - Logic, Art, Music, PE, etc... No plan, just playing these by ear.

DONE! I swear, this is set in stone now... :tongue_smilie: And if it changes again, I think I may have to kill someone :cursing:

Language Arts:

WWS 1 (though Bravewriter is still calling to me!)

Spelling - Natural Speller, on Spelling City

Lots of free reading!

Literature:

Books from my ever-growing to-be-read book list (or possibly an edited version of my Narnia Lit List)

Math:

Finish Saxon 6/5, move into Saxon 7/6

History:

1 biography, of choice, to be read every 1-2 weeks

1 history book, of choice, to be read every 1-2 weeks

Weekly documentaries, occasional historical movies, and hands-on projects as desired

(We're using Valerie's Living Books for titles, primarily Landmark Books, American Heritage, Horizon Caravel, and Messner Biographies)

Science:

A library book every week, though I'll give him longer if it's a longer book!

We'll be adding in supplemental hands-on, and documentaries, and nature journaling

(Note:I'll be using BFSU volume two as a checklist, and will fill in gaps as needed)

Geography:

Finish up Richard Halliburton's The Complete Book of Marvels, read The Glorious Adventure. Documentaries and map work to go along.

Arts:

Finish up the National Art Gallery Art Activity Book, picture study

Leonard Bernstein's Concerts for Young People on youtube

Classics for Kids: Composer of the Month

The New Augsburg's Book of Drawing and topical hands-on art books from the library, for art instruction

Logic & Philosophy:

Mindbenders and Harry Stottlemeier's Discovery

Other:

Fencing for PE

And possibly the Civil Air Patrol

Edited by momto2Cs

Here's what I have planned for my 7th grader:

Science: Chemistry using McHenry's The Elements, doing 1 major lab project and using Mastering the Periodic Table

Math: Algebra 1/2

English Language Arts: FLL4 - yes, this is easy but we like it. I just love diagramming sentences; WWE4 - also easy but I like the dictation in it. We used WWS at first but he just wasn't ready for it yet, so I bumped him back until we finish this one. We'll move back up as soon as he's bored. Spelling Workout G; Handwriting: Latina Christiana I Copybook and copying passages from favorite books

Languages: Greek - Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek 2; Latina Christiana I He thinks these look too easy so changing Greek to ? and Latin to First Form Latin.

History: SOTW - Middle Ages

Logic: Introductory Logic

Music: Suzuki Violin, Year 3

PE: TKD Black Belt test

Religion: Confirmation Prep

Reading: List from TWTM

This summer: Favorite books chosen from The Read-Aloud Handbook

This last year was great and I am so excited about next year already! I love my job! :)

Sigh. Do I really have to think about this? He's not as far as I thought he'd be. Let's see....

Spelling: AAS 6 starting over with level 5

Writing: WWS

Math: MM 6, LOF Decimals and Percents, Khan Academy, Zaccaro Challenge Math, RS level G. He wants to do BA geometry over the summer. I'd like to add Hands on Equations but don't know how and when I would do all this math.

Hake 7 (he's finishing GWG 6 so I'm assuming he can switch to Hake 7 with no problems)

Science: I'll keep trying to implement BFSU but I think I'm going to make the main focus RS Odyssey Bio level 2

History: SOTW 4

Literature: MCT lit series

Latin: finish Lively Latin level 1 and then I don't know

German: Duolingo and my concoction

Logic: Orbiting with Logic then Fallacy Detective or Art of Argument. Can't decide which.

Extras: Intellego units of his choosing, piano, and whatever rabbit trails he likes

Mapping the World with Art

Caesar's English? and maybe MCT poetry

I'm tutoring my neighbor's dd12. She was just pulled from school in March and is dyslectic.

Abecedarian B Short Version

WWE 3 (modified - I read aloud)

Daily Word Ladders

AVKO Sequential Spelling

Reading Detective

Winston Grammar

Assigned and free reading

Key to Decimals

Key to Percents

Real Life Math problems

RS4K Middle School Chemistry

Apologia Zoology 3 (by popular demand)

Mystery of History Vol. I along with Ancient History Discovery Kits from Hands and Hearts and History Pockets

Building Thinking Skills 2

Logic Liftoff

Artistic Pursuits

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is mostly figured out now. Maybe.

Math: Finish MM6/CLE 600 over summer start Pre-Alg with Jann in fall

LA: CLE 700

BJU Explorations in Literature (unsure exactly how I will use this)

Science: BJU in co-op

History: Notgrass America the Beautiful with added lit (many of the lit suggestions for this class she's read, so I'll add different lit)

Writing: Unsure. Will look into Cover Story.

Latin: LfC B

Intermediate Public Speaking: year 2 in co-op

Extras: Artist/Composer studies

I feel like I'm forgetting something...

I think I'm set for this kid now.

LA:

-Figuratively Speaking & lit to go along with history.

-G.U.M. 7

-WWS1

Math:

-Abeka's Pre-Algebra (w/DVDs)

Foreign Language(s):

-First Form Latin

-Finishing up Getting Started With Spanish, then Duolingo for awhile, then going back to SfCA.

Religion

-Fr. Fox's Catholic Truth for Youth + some 'put it into practice' assignments

History

- Catholic Textbook Project Light to the Nations 1 tweaking Curmudgeonry's plan

Science

- Holt Earth Science w/Kolbe's plans.

Logic

- CAP's Art of Argument

Hoping to add Mapping the World With Art

Okay, so I think I mostly have it figured out now that I have the class list from our PPP.

Language Arts:

• Novel Writing (PPP) - uses the NaNoWriMo program
  • Vocabulary from Classical Roots
  • Writeshop 1 - planning on half this year, half next
  • Growing with Grammar 7 - if there ends up being time; if not, we'll skip it

Math:

• Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra
  • Khan Academy

Social Studies:

• A History of US - beginning in book 1- we'll likely do some writing, q&a, and quizzes along the way, as well as related reading

Earth Science:

• World Physical Geography - we'll likely only get through half of this in 7th and finish it in 8th
  • Science Investigations (PPP)

World Languages:

• Rosetta Stone (or other) Latin American Spanish - cont'd
  • Korean - as needed/desired for TaeKwonDo

The Arts:

• Art (PPP) - drawing, painting, 3D
  • Beginning Sewing (PPP) - this was actually his idea, but I figure it's a good skill to have
  • Music - remains to be seen since his piano teacher will no longer be available and he's requesting violin lessons. Hmm....

Health/Fitness:

• TKD - continuing 2-3 times per week

That oughta be enough to keep us busy! :tongue_smilie:

I'm guessing we just post our 7th grade plan so we can kind-of compare plans?...Does this sound OK? I'm always up for some good reassurance. :)

Sounds good! I think you've got everything well thought out. :laugh:

I think this is the final, but knowing me, some things still might change.

Math: Working through Lial's BCM this summer. She is very adamant about starting Algebra in the fall.

Science: General Science at co-op

Writing and Grammar: BJU 7 and meet with teacher once a week at co-op (not a class)

Literature: MFW Rome to Reformation along with a few Progeny Press guides thrown in

History: MFW Rome to Reformation

BIble: MFW Rome to Reformation

Latin: LfC B

French: French 1 at co-op

Logic: Fallacy Detective

She has also decided she would love to learn calligraphy, so adding that to the list as well.

Math: Horizons Pre-Algebra and Crit. Think Math Dectective B

Science: Apologia Gen. Science

Latin: 2nd Form Latin

Art: Atelier 6

History: American History - using blend of SL D/E, Crit Think US History Series, and Evident Truth Series

Vocab: Wordly Wise and Word Within the Word 1

Spell: made up lists from words missed from list of 5,000 common words

Writing: Writing With Skill 1

Language Arts: A Beka Grammar 7, MCT Level 4, Crit Think Reading Dectective B

Music: Violin and Middle School Orchestra

Critical Thinking: various books from Critical Thinking Co.

Bible: with dad - no set curriculum

Changed some things....edited to reflect updates:

Math - Lial's PreA isolated topics over the summer then TabletClass Algebra 1

Writing - OYAN and WWS1

Grammar - R&S 6

Vocab - Caesar's English 1

Literature - Literary Lessons From Lord of the Rings

Science - Noeo Chemistry III as a guide with McHenry Elements and Carbon Chemistry added in and C12 Flex Books on topics of further interest

Logic - finish Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox then Art of Argument

Latin - Lively Latin Book 1

Spanish - La Clase Divertida with her little brother and sister and GWS on her own

History - Middle Ages/ Renaissance study using History Odyssey, SOTW, Project Passport and Veritas Press resources. We designed it ourselves!

Art - Atelier 5 with siblings

Music - guitar lessons

Please chime in....this is only our second year and would love feedback from the Hive....

Math - AoPS Pre Algebra or Algebra 1 (still trying to decide)

FWIW, I'd be reluctant to go directly from MM to AoPS Intro to Algebra. I'd either move to AoPS Prealgebra or some other prealgebra first. There are some topics I'd want to focus on before AoPS Intro to Algebra, e.g., simplifying square roots, more practice with negative numbers within different types of equations, more practice with solving single-variable equations, etc.

FWIW, I'd be reluctant to go directly from MM to AoPS Intro to Algebra. I'd either move to AoPS Prealgebra or some other prealgebra first. There are some topics I'd want to focus on before AoPS Intro to Algebra, e.g., simplifying square roots, more practice with negative numbers within different types of equations, more practice with solving single-variable equations, etc.

Good point. We are working through Lial's Pre Algebra now and over the summer. My original thought was to do AoPS Pre Algebra next year to have those concepts seen and applied from a different angle, I guess you would say. She is DYING to get into Algebra but even though I think she'll be academically ready, I want to make sure she is developmentally ready too. We are looking at Jacob's Algebra, not AoPS for that one (I'm going to edit my original post to make that clearer) because I've heard that Jacob's is a more gentle entry for a younger child (she'll be in 7th). Math is a tough one because she loves math but she was so bored in school that she is relishing in the challenge of moving ahead with more difficult concepts. That said, I want her to stay motivated and continue to love it but see no reason to rush. It's trying to find that delicate balance between passion and ability.....what do do :confused1:

If I put it in writing, it will be a huge motivator to face the facts: I'm going to have two 7th graders next year. Argh!

Math: A - Finish Saxon 7/6, start Saxon Alg. 1/2

B - Finish TT 7, start TT Pre-Algebra (never thought I'd use TT, but it's working, and working well)

Hands on Equations for both

On Fridays finish 2nd Penrose book and Joy of Mathematics and whatever else looks fun and interesting

English: MCT for grammar, vocab and poetry (I think for poetry, no sure, still looking around)

WWS 1 and Bravewriter

Unjournaling

A - Spelling Workout G

B - Continue with Sequential Spelling or try Spelling Plus

History: Human Odyssey Vol 1 (can't find anything we like better) s/ student guide from K12

Geography: Mapping the World by Art (want to do a world religions course......)

Science: Joy Hakim's Story of Science with Quest Guides and Milestones in Science

Literature: Figuratively Speaking

Good, excellent literature tbd and lots of discussion

Logic: Finish Mind Benders series

Finish Harry Stottlemeier's Disvoery

Looking at Art of Argument again, or Philosophy for Children, or The Snake and the Fox?????

Foreign language: Do we give Latin a 3rd try or just stick with Spanish. If Spanish, I have Spanish for Children but am not thrilled with it.

Art/Music: continue with our cm style lessons once a week

Good point. We are working through Lial's Pre Algebra now and over the summer. My original thought was to do AoPS Pre Algebra next year to have those concepts seen and applied from a different angle, I guess you would say. She is DYING to get into Algebra but even though I think she'll be academically ready, I want to make sure she is developmentally ready too. We are looking at Jacob's Algebra, not AoPS for that one (I'm going to edit my original post to make that clearer) because I've heard that Jacob's is a more gentle entry for a younger child (she'll be in 7th). Math is a tough one because she loves math but she was so bored in school that she is relishing in the challenge of moving ahead with more difficult concepts. That said, I want her to stay motivated and continue to love it but see no reason to rush. It's trying to find that delicate balance between passion and ability.....what do do :confused1:

That's great that she is excited to get into Algebra. You want to keep that passion alive. It helps them when they hit the real challenging stuff.

I like this plan with Jacobs first after covering some key areas in Pre-A. AoPS Pre-A tends to be overly complicated for the subject matter it covers. See this current thread discussing the Pre-A text: http://forums.welltr...entary-algebra/

We used another Pre-A, TabletClass, then moved directly into AoPS Intro to Algebra which is working fine so far.

Finding that just right challenge is really the key, especially for younger kids who are good at math. Too little and they become easily bored, too much too quickly and they can lose heart and confidence in their developing abilties. Keep in mind that its ok to pull from multiple sources as you go. When we hit more difficult concepts I like to slow down and examine it from various perspectives. Khan Academy is a great one for this kind of supplementation. But of course there are many other good Algebra sources including the classic textbooks like Foerster and Dolciani.

Foreign language: Do we give Latin a 3rd try or just stick with Spanish. If Spanish, I have Spanish for Children but am not thrilled with it.

I tried Spanish for Children A with oldest dd this year and didn't like it either. We'll finish up Getting Started With Spanish and practice with Duolingo. Then, I'm not sure what we'll move to because I'm not sure I want to go back into SfCA unless I tweak it with more practice, change the quizzes, and rearrange some chapters, which I'm not likely to do. So, we'll probably just keep looking around. (I also have Spanish in 10 Minutes a Day that I might give her after GSWS & a month or two of Duolingo.)

That's great that she excited to get into Algebra. You want to keep that passion alive. It helps them when they hit the real challenging stuff.

I like this plan with Jacobs first after covering some key areas in Pre-A. AoPS Pre-A tends to be overly complicated for the subject matter it covers. See this current thread discussing the Pre-A text: http://forums.welltr...entary-algebra/

We used another Pre-A, TabletClass, then moved directed into AoPS Intro to Algebra which is working fine so far.

Finding that just right challenge is really the key, especially for younger kids who are good at math. Too little and they become easily bored, too much too quickly and they can lose heart and confidence in their developing abilties. Keep in mind that its ok to pull from multiple sources as you go. When we hit more difficult concepts I like to slow down and examine it from various perspectives. Khan Academy is a great one for this kind of supplementation. But of course there are many other good Algebra sources including the classic textbooks like Foerster and Dolciani.

You know, I looked at AoPS Pre A when we first got it and I thought the same thing.....waaaaay too much writing and description for very straightforward concepts. DD loves the problem solving aspect of it...she's challenged by the "puzzle" of it all. I ordered some of the old CWP books to see if that will fill that void. I'm also looking at Challenge Math based on a rec from someone here for a fun summer supplement. Then, maybe Jacobs, REAL slow. I like the idea of alternate sources. I have Foerster's. I'll try to find Dolciani. Off to check out TabletClass too. Thanks for the input. At some point the tweaking is over, right???

You know, I looked at AoPS Pre A when we first got it and I thought the same thing.....waaaaay too much writing and description for very straightforward concepts. DD loves the problem solving aspect of it...she's challenged by the "puzzle" of it all. I ordered some of the old CWP books to see if that will fill that void. I'm also looking at Challenge Math based on a rec from someone here for a fun summer supplement. Then, maybe Jacobs, REAL slow. I like the idea of alternate sources. I have Foerster's. I'll try to find Dolciani. Off to check out TabletClass too. Thanks for the input. At some point the tweaking is over, right???

happyhome, even though the AoPS Pre-A wasn't a good fit for ds11 this year as a primary math text we still used it in part. So if you have it I would hang on to it as a resource. We used TabletClass primarily which is also a challenging Pre-A program and when we hit the difficult concepts such as graphing linear equations we pulled from that AoPS chapter. That provided a different perspective and also helped ds11 ease in to AoPS's unique approach. We also used the AoPS videos which are quite good as well.

I think once you hit Algebra 1 and your DD finds her groove so to speak things should settle a bit. This transition from concrete to abstract reasoning is quite a significant mental growth stage for them in a lot of ways. There is a certain level of maturing which occurs as well through wrestling with the more complex problems. It sounds like she is well on her way there already. ;)

I had the same experience with AoPS. It was way too wordy for my VSL.

He's probably about 5 years from graduation, which I guess corresponds roughly to 7th grade.

Some of these things seem like a lot, but we still use our oddball 2 week rotating schedule, so we have more time to spend on each subject in any given day-- each individual assignment might be shortish, but we can spend 2 hours or more on history or science if we want to, since we only do them every other week!

Language Arts: Skipping formal grammar this year. Quick diagramming-- not sure what to use yet-- plus just the practice book from MCT Voyage level to stay fresh (he finished Magic Lens level 1 this year, never did the earlier levels). Extra time from grammar will be used for WRITING! Writing-- Bravewriter, IEW Medieval, and Kilgallon.

Foreign Language: Continue Lively Latin 2 and Rosetta Stone German. Start Breaking the Barrier Spanish.

Math: Life of Fred Advanced Algebra on his own. With Mom, we'll try AoPS Geometry to see if he likes it better than he liked the preA book. He'll continue self-study of trig and economics on his own time.

Science: Physics year. Monstered together program based around Exploration Education, Thames and Kosmos kits, Science Wiz kits, library books, perhaps the Coursera How Things Work course, and whatever else looks fun

Logic: continue programming in Python with his Dad, Discovery of Deduction, followed by James Madison logic. You Decide constitution study, hopefully with other 12/13 YO's locally.

History: ties in with You Decide. History Odyssey Early Modern. Continue to read K12 Human Odyssey 3rd book on his own time. Reading Learning History magazines on his own time. plenty of literature.

Art: Meet the Masters

Music: Piano lessons, composer studies and genre studies, Classics for Kids podcasts

Phys Ed: Gym class run locally, fencing, karate, and lots of play time and field trips galore, plus plenty of days off to play with friends or hang out at the pool.

Everything: BrainPOP addiction.

Each day he also spends at least an hour just looking up and reading about any topic in the world of his own interest-- it's ranged anywhere from Greek economic policy and the Euro to fair trade chocolate this year.

Math: AOPS Algebra

History/Geography: Human Odyssey Vol 2, Map skills program

Science: Science Fusion: Earth Science Modules

Literature: Lightning Literature 8 with a Shakespeare added in OR Literature Lessons from Lord of the Rings

Writing/Grammar: Writing with Skill 2

Logic:

Computer Science: Homeschool programming

Art: Art History, How to Teach Art to Children

Music: Piano lessons

Latin: Latin Prep 2

Foreign Language: French

PE: swim team

He's probably about 5 years from graduation, which I guess corresponds roughly to 7th grade.

Some of these things seem like a lot, but we still use our oddball 2 week rotating schedule, so we have more time to spend on each subject in any given day-- each individual assignment might be shortish, but we can spend 2 hours or more on history or science if we want to, since we only do them every other week!

Language Arts: Skipping formal grammar this year. Quick diagramming-- not sure what to use yet-- plus just the practice book from MCT Voyage level to stay fresh (he finished Magic Lens level 1 this year, never did the earlier levels). Extra time from grammar will be used for WRITING! Writing-- Bravewriter, IEW Medieval, and Kilgallon.

Foreign Language: Continue Lively Latin 2 and Rosetta Stone German. Start Breaking the Barrier Spanish.

Math: Life of Fred Advanced Algebra on his own. With Mom, we'll try AoPS Geometry to see if he likes it better than he liked the preA book. He'll continue self-study of trig and economics on his own time.

Science: Physics year. Monstered together program based around Exploration Education, Thames and Kosmos kits, Science Wiz kits, library books, perhaps the Coursera How Things Work course, and whatever else looks fun

Logic: continue programming in Python with his Dad, Discovery of Deduction, followed by James Madison logic. You Decide constitution study, hopefully with other 12/13 YO's locally.

History: ties in with You Decide. History Odyssey Early Modern. Continue to read K12 Human Odyssey 3rd book on his own time. Reading Learning History magazines on his own time. plenty of literature.

Art: Meet the Masters

Music: Piano lessons, composer studies and genre studies, Classics for Kids podcasts

Phys Ed: Gym class run locally, fencing, karate, and lots of play time and field trips galore, plus plenty of days off to play with friends or hang out at the pool.

Everything: BrainPOP addiction.

Each day he also spends at least an hour just looking up and reading about any topic in the world of his own interest-- it's ranged anywhere from Greek economic policy and the Euro to fair trade chocolate this year.

Hi Nittany Jen.....can you explain your "oddball" two week schedule? I've tried scheduling a few different ways and haven't really found the groove yet. I know the dc do not like "15 min of this followed by 15 min of that." We need larger chunks of time to get into what we're doing but then I feel like I run out of time to get it all in. I love the amount of diversity in what you've listed. Now if I can just figure out how to do it....hmmmm.

Hi Nittany Jen.....can you explain your "oddball" two week schedule? I've tried scheduling a few different ways and haven't really found the groove yet. I know the dc do not like "15 min of this followed by 15 min of that." We need larger chunks of time to get into what we're doing but then I feel like I run out of time to get it all in. I love the amount of diversity in what you've listed. Now if I can just figure out how to do it....hmmmm.

It's detailed in my blog, but in a nutshell, we alternate weeks. It's neat, because if we take a week off, we don't "miss" anything; we just bump to the next week in the rotation-- if we last did math/science focus week, then we pick back up with history/language week.

My kids had complained to me that the did not like trying to work in history and science both in one day, as they felt to crammed for time, and didn't have time to enjoy either one, or explore topics at all; it was just "git'er done" that way. Alternating days (history MWF and science on TR) also didn't work for them; they felt they were always trying to mentally shift gears. They came up with the idea of alternating weeks. I said we could try it, even though it meant doing all of history for the year and all of science for the year with only 20-21 weeks to devote to each (we school year round, so we get in about 40-42 weeks of school per year). The experiment has been working wonderfully. Despite the variety that they study, school feels much more relaxed. They have more time to explore areas of interest and go deeper into each topic, and they stay focused on a topic for longer without that mental bopping around. Covering what we feel we need to cover has not been a problem, since they can spend more time per day on the big subjects.

Despite the "focus week" topics, we do still do *some* math during language/history week, and we do still do some writing during science/math week. It just does not receive the same amount of time that it does during its own dedicated week.

We do split the foreign languages between the weeks, and have had no difficultly with retention or continuity, which has been a pleasant surprise, even with DS9 who has professionally dx'd issues with language and memory and processing. I think, sometimes, that giving them breaks to "process" information may even be beneficial for long-term memory storage. Right now they are alternating weeks between Latin and German. Next year they will both pick up Spanish as well; I am not sure whether to add it to the Language or the Science week-- it will depend on which week looks like it has an appropriate amount of time to keep things balanced.