Menu

Need book suggestions for a girl, advanced reader

My dd 7 is in 2nd grade, but reads at a 4-5th grade level. I've been trying to find books for her, but am having a hard time because she's interested in little girl things like unicorns and pet shops, lol, but the books I'm finding at her reading level are getting into boy crushes, etc. Can anyone recommend series that would be at the higher reading level but a lower interest level (if that makes sense)? She likes mysteries, comedies, animals, pets, princesses, etc. etc.

tia!

The Little House books and the Ramona books are both great for being a little higher reading level but still little girl friendly.

You might look at Lexile.com and try to determine her roughly her lexile level, then you can have them suggest books in the style she likes. Here is a chart of the lexile levels. We had this problem when dd was in first grade. We really couldn't keep her reading at her level without destroying her interest. She ended up reading all the babysitter club little sister books. They were about second grade level, really boring, but she loved them - sigh.

Caddie Woodlawn

Milly Molly Mandy

Betsy-Tacy books (first 3 in particular)

Some of the Roald Dahl books--particularly Fantastic Mr. Fox (has some gross humor)

Igraine The Brave (Funke--same one who wrote Inkheart series)

Sisters Grimm (maybe too old, but if she has a good fairytale backround, she'll like them)

The Cabin Faced West

Mary on Horseback

Understood Betsy

Pippi Longstocking (and the first sequel)

Dr. Doolittle (find a revised version that doesn't have the racial stuff in it--Sonlight sells a good adaptation)

Also old folk and fairy tales (East O' The Sun, West O' The Moon, for example), as well as D'Aulaire's Greek myths...

My 7y/o loves the Unfortunate Events series (just got book the 5th)

She also loved loved loved the Sophie and the shadow woods series - this one really hooked her, she's re-read it dozens of times.

The Magic Faraway Tree - enid blyton series, also the Amelia Jane ones.

She also enjoyed a book called, um, Madame Pampelmousse and the enchanted sweet shop...

She also blew through a handful of the Beast Quest books.

I'm getting some good ideas from these lists though!

My daughter sounds just like yours. She loves all the fairy books by Andrew Lang (most of them are free for Kindle), The Wizard of Oz (she hasn't tried the other Oz books yet, but I put a bunch of them on her Kindle), Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. For more recent books, the Fairy Realm series by Emily Rodda has been a hit, as well as the American Girl mysteries.

Great thread! My Dd is exactly the same age and situation!

Thanks all for the ideas. Always in need of good books to feed my voracious reader!

Favorites here lately that I don't think have been mentioned in this thread yet are:

Black Beauty

Chronicles of Narnia

Bill Wallace's books - easy chapter books, all about dogs

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye

Miss Hickory by Carolyn Sherwin Bailey

Angus and Sadie by Cynthia Voight (another dog story)

DD has loved Little House, Caddie Woodlawn, Edward Eager and Marguerite Henry books too.

She loves American Girl books, but they are almost like candy at this point. Fun, but not sustaining.

She has also enjoyed several Shakepeare books (Usborne and McCaughren mostly), D'auliare, biographies and history books (Diane Stanley and Cheryl Harness are favorite authors.) and she got the Usborne Stories from Dickens for Christmas.

Mary Pope Osborne's Medieval Tales has been a big hit here this year too.

We have found good suggestions and reviews at livingbookslibrary.com and redeemedreader.com.

Oh! ScoutTN's post reminds me--

The Mary Pope Osborne Odyssey series is wonderful fun--originally 6 lovely little hardbacks but now in two volumes. Our library has the originals, and dd still liked to check them out and have me read them in 5th grade. She is all set for the real thing now and loves the story.

I have the same dilmena with my 2nd grader. I agree with the previous posters on the wonderful book choices.

My dd has really enjoyed several of the "My America" titles. I found most of these in a used book bundle offered on Ebay. We are using them to go along with our study of American history with MFW. They have been a hit! The reading levels range from 3-5 grade. Here are just a few she's read and we have several more to go.

My America ...The Pilgrim Adventure

My America ...The King Philip's War Adventure

My America Five Smooth Stones: Hope's Revolutionary War Diary

My America: Our Strange New Land: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, Book One

My America: The Starving Time: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, Book Two

American Girl books would be another suggestion.

We also plan to read the Chronicles of Narnia for literature next year. I let her read the first chapter of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe and she wanted to keep going. Something to look forward to for next year! :)

The Unicorns Secret series by Kathleen Duey -- Moonsilver is the first

I just looked and amazon carries them but I bought dd's from Chinaberry years ago. They are chapter books written at a similar level to The Boxcar Children (original) another favorite.

I recommend looking at Chinaberry for ideas. They helped me many times find the right book for dd when she was a rather young advanced reader. They also seemed to be the first to really feature some of what became our favorites -- Sea of Trolls and Milly Molly Mandy both came from there.

Thank you so much for the amazing response, I need to brew a pot of coffee and take some quiet time with Amazon to sift through all the great suggestions! At the moment her collection is all from lower level chapter books (she loved Magic Tree House, Magic Kitten, etc etc), and the books I already have for the higher levels are (or were) her brothers and don't seem to hold the same appeal (at least not at the moment).

I took a look at the description of the next book in the series she's currently reading and it already mentions the boy the main character has a crush on. This type of thing just isn't even on dd's radar, and I don't really see a need to put it there. Not as a sheltering thing, but a why-even-go-there thing, kwim?

Thanks again!