Menu

Poll: Opinions needed about a purse.

Alte Veste Academy

What is your opinion of this purse?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of this purse?

• Hideous! A 70's throwback that I would be embarrassed to be seen carrying.
    • I don't care for it but it's not the ugliest thing I've ever seen.
    • It's fine. Don't give a whiz one way or the other.
    • Cute. I would carry it.
    • Oh my word, I LOVE it! Where can I buy one?

I like it. It's very much in the style of what's worn around here. We all have squarish purses that we wear crossed across our body. That looks like it would fit the bill nicely and I like the embossing.

Curious to know the backstory on this....

I like it. It's very much in the style of what's worn around here. We all have squarish purses that we wear crossed across our body. That looks like it would fit the bill nicely and I like the embossing.

Curious to know the backstory on this....

Oh, there's a reasonably entertaining backstory, but I'm waiting for a few more votes on the poll. :lol:

I think it's cute.. and I would carry it. The only thing is it seems a bit smallish for my needs.

LOL! That is not the exact purse in question. The "real life" purse is larger, but almost identical in pattern/form. :D I just couldn't find a picture of it and was too lazy to take one, download and post. Man, that's pathetic but whatever.

Love it! Of course, I have a cross-body Fossil purse with a loud print, so what do I know? That is a really cute purse. And now you've made me look at purses on the Fossil website. I'll tell my dh to blame you :p.

I find myself doing the same. I REALLY need a new bag

OK, so I am not a big purse person. I am not "into" fashion, but I don't really think I am a giant dork, either. ;) Anyway, I have been carrying a nice, neutral, useful $35 purse from Target for about 5 years. It served me well but it is no longer in good shape. I decided last year (!!!) at Christmas to get a new purse. This purse. I loved it. Ogled it for months and finally caved, even though it was very pricey for me. DH hated it. The kids hated it. It received a :thumbdown: all around...even from my mom when she visited. Anyway, I didn't use it...haven't used it. It still hangs in my closet and whenever anyone gets a glimpse of it, they remind me of its grotesqueness. :rolleyes: (They think they are funny. They aren't being mean. ;) )

Did I mention that my mom visited? She came to see us in May. She brought her tiny Yorkshire Terrier puppy, who chewed one of the straps of my old Target purse. It didn't need another insult, really. And yet, I have still been using it (so maybe I am a giant dork LOL!) because I refuse to buy a new purse and I dislike the one my mom bought me to replace the Target purse (even though it is "just like" my old one). It was swell of her to replace the purse, of course, especially when she replaced it in full even though it should have been a prorate situation because the purse was on its last legs anyway... :lol:

Anyway, we are attending the theater (ETA: at an informal playhouse) tomorrow, but the old Target purse is not fit to be seen in society :tongue_smilie: , so I decided this morning that my family could go suck an egg. :sleep: But then I thought oh no, what if they are right?! So, I had to come to you all for help in the matter.

I like it okay. I like the style and Fossil bags, but I'm not crazy about the stamped design. It's a little too western for my taste. I personally don't give a rip what others think about my purses. If you can I would probably invest in a small black shoulder or clutch for fancy outings, as long you're talking theater not movie theater. If not, then carry that bag in style, if you like it that really is all that matters.

I like it okay. I like the style and Fossil bags, but I'm not crazy about the stamped design. It's a little too western for my taste. I personally don't give a rip what others think about my purses. If you can I would probably invest in a small black shoulder or clutch for fancy outings, as long you're talking theater not movie theater. If not, then carry that bag in style, if you like it that really is all that matters.

Oh, I would definitely carry a smaller bag for a formal theater. This is an informal playhouse. Just not informal enough for me to carry something that looks like a dog's chew toy. :D

Oh, I would definitely carry a smaller bag for a formal theater. This is an informal playhouse. Just not informal enough for me to carry something that looks like a dog's chew toy. :D

LOL....definitely looks better than a chew toy. I like Fossil purses....it is a fine purse and your family is just whacked. (about this issue....I'm sure they are a fine family in general)

I think you need to educate all your family in matters of style (except, perhaps, for the tiny Yorkshire Terrier). I'm sure once they've seen you out with it, in action, they'll change their minds. I'm now off to search the web in the hopes that I can get one here in the UK :001_smile: .

It's nice... even cute if that's your style. But, that's very much not my style, so I wouldn't use it.

I can't see why anyone would make fun of it, though. It's a nice bag, but a matter of personal style, not a hideous thing at all. I could see that with a very feminine frilly dress, or with jeans and a cutesy top. I wouldn't say it could be dressed up for anything formal, but for a theatre outing or any informal party, definitely. It's got some quirk-caché to it that would fit right in there.

I think it's a great bag, although I'm partial to The Sak. I love a cross body, and the fact that it's slim-lined is a plus. Leather gets better with age, so you should easily get another five years. :D

I love Sak bags, too, but I bought one back in April for my birthday and the pocket ripped right through the purse. (A pocket I didn't use.) So, I can't say I'd buy another Sak. My friend gives me all her old Fossil bags and they are great. I do like the one in question - a lot!

Yeah, even if it wasn't someone's style it's not, say...

4014733629_7ea0c41cdd.jpg

Or...

a317_h6.jpg

Or...

louisvuitton42k.jpg

And that last one cost $42,000. Really. I'll bet you didn't pay that much, Kristina.

:lol: No, I did not even pay close to $42,000...even with the wallet! :lol: Now I do feel better, thanks! :D

I like it. Why doesn't your family like it? Fossil makes nices purses, but they are pricey. If you like it, you should use it. They (your family) don't have to carry it.

Well, DH was the instigator (and honestly, he is the nicest man alive, I promise). When he saw it, he just gave a look that said really? He thought it looked old. In his defense, I think he played at leatherwork as a boy and it probably reminded it of that. :lol: I think the kids just got it into their heads that it was old and out of fashion (whatever that is to them, LOL) and got on board with not liking it. The boys really just don't give a rat either way but they like being like Dad. (And, again, he wasn't being mean, just having an opinion.) DD did look at the poll earlier and voted cute, so she's not hopeless. :lol: DD is actually quite the little fashionista. She has no "input" or peer pressure about what is in style, yet has definite ideas of her own. I quite enjoy going shopping with her. She has a good eye, generally speaking.

As to the bolded, that was almost verbatim what DH texted me earlier when I told him I was starting a poll here! I will be transferring contents in the morning, ladies, and disposing of the chew toy! Thanks!

I said I think it's cute. I would possibly carry it even though it's out what would be norm for me. I like it.

I'm glad you're going to tell your family to get over it ;) It's much too cute of a really nice purse to gather dust. However this is a purse lover that just MIGHT be in need of an intervention. ;) LOL!

I voted that I didn't care one ay or another. It reminds me of the kit purses my dad used to make me in the 70s, and for that reason I like it. It's also kind of cute, in a Taylor Swift, cute pioneer dress/cowboy boot kind of way. But on the other hand, I probably am a bit too old and dull to use it!

I love Sak bags, too, but I bought one back in April for my birthday and the pocket ripped right through the purse. (A pocket I didn't use.) So, I can't say I'd buy another Sak. My friend gives me all her old Fossil bags and they are great. I do like the one in question - a lot!

Did you buy one of their crocheted bags? I bought one of those this past spring for a trip, and mine ripped as well (and then the yarn unraveled). I was very disappointed with it. :glare: My leather one is still going strong, though.

While I generally agree with the "they don't have to carry it" sentiment, the rest of us do have eyes, and no one should have to accidentally see a cow thong when they're grocery shopping. Or, for that matter, looking at a cute purse thread on the boards, farrarwilliams!!

The Fossil, if you like it, you should use it and enjoy doing so.

Did you buy one of their crocheted bags? I bought one of those this past spring for a trip, and mine ripped as well (and then the yarn unraveled). I was very disappointed with it. :glare: My leather one is still going strong, though.

Nope, it wasn't a crocheted bag. It was from their Sak Artist Circle collection. Totally bummed to hear that this happens with their other bags, too. I was hoping mine was a fluke.