Menu

Anyone else not scared of GMOs

MistyMountain

IRL most of my friends or acquaintances are pretty crunchy. A lot of them eat organic, don't vaccinate and don't believe in conventional cancer treatment. Most of them are against GMOs. I do not like Monsanto's business practices and I think they do business very unethically in many countries including our own. I don't like that they take control over seeds or how we grow lots of stuff for livestock etc etc. I don't like the company but I am not against GMOs or the herbicide they make in certain applications.

I looked at all the evidence from both sides and I am not scared of GMOS. I don't think genetically modifying food in itself is dangerous and will give you cancer and make you really unhealthy. I am not looking to debate those studies but I was wondering if I was one of the only one who is not scared of GMOs. I guess some may think this is a JAWM thread. I am not looking for agreement just hoping to find others who don't think GMOs are the devil in all instances. I also am a little disappointed the environmental movement became about hot button topics like dietary methods, GMOS, certified organic and "natural" stuff and doesn't address big issues very often.

I am not scared of eating GMO's in the least. My concern is for their effects on our seed sources and how they hurt small farmers. The less diverse the seed stock, the more likely pests and disease can wipe out our food source. Small farmers also suffer from lawsuits when GMO crops pop up as weeds in their non-modified crops, which drives them out of business. Some GMO sources are also sterile, which hurts those in third world countries that are given these types of seeds after a disaster to replenish their seed stock. This means they can't save seeds so they won't be able to grow food the next year.

So nope, not scare of eating GMO's, but still avoid them because I can't in good conscious support the companies that make them or the eventual results of an undiversified seed stock.

I am not scared of eating GMO's in the least. My concern is for their effects on our seed sources and how they hurt small farmers. The less diverse the seed stock, the more likely pests and disease can wipe out our food source. Small farmers also suffer from lawsuits when GMO crops pop up as weeds in their non-modified crops, which drives them out of business. Some GMO sources are also sterile, which hurts those in third world countries that are given these types of seeds after a disaster to replenish their seed stock. This means they can't save seeds so they won't be able to grow food the next year.

So nope, not scare of eating GMO's, but still avoid them because I can't in good conscious support the companies that make them or the eventual results of an undiversified seed stock.

:iagree:

Although I do think that all the tinkering we have done with our food source and the pesticides used when I was a kid have contributed to the increases in peanut allergies, autoimmune disorders, gluten intolerances, etc. But, if I am hungryI am not going to turn it away.

I'm not scared of GMOs insofar as I think there is some sort of definite health threat. I do avoid GMOs, though, because of the unethical business practices that seem to largely be their purpose. (E.g. Herbicide activated seed that keeps growers dependent on Monsanto.)

And I do wonder what the long term repercussions to all creatures in the food chain is. I don't think there's an answer to that yet. I take exception to the cavalier way our government allows corporations to basically experiment on our food supply in the name of commerce.

I agree about the practices of the companies but there is a lot stuff out there says that GMOs are dangerous and that I don't agree with.

I've not seen sufficient evidence either way to form an opinion. I tend to agree that the "x is inherently dangerous/toxic/detrimental" hype is normally just that. I don't believe that my dishwasher detergent is leaving poisonous residue on my dishes, either, despite Sally Fallon's claim (which appears to be data-free). I also don't buy the "newer is better" way. So I try to look at the larger environmental, global health, economic and cultural impacts and see where I want to draw the line on such issues. (Needless to say, most people I know would say I overthink things)

It is nowhere near the top of my list of things to fear/worry about. I buy what I can afford and don't give it another thought. I also think that most foods labeled organic at the grocery store are not really all that organic--I have nothing to back that up it's just what I think... That's about as conspiracy theorist as I get though.

Small farmers also suffer from lawsuits when GMO crops pop up as weeds in their non-modified crops, which drives them out of business.

This is one thing that boggles my mind. I will never understand how judges agree that farmers who have no desire to grow GMOs are responsible when seed from other fields drifts into their field. It seems so unfair and so, well, illogical. Often these GMO crops make organic farmers' crops unsuitable for sale as organic. Seems like the traditional and/or organic farmers should be the ones suing.

:iagree: We are able to grow more food on less land and use less chemicals on the food than before because of GMOs.

My neighbour spends twice the money to grow her crop as what my organic friend does. She gets more yield but she really isn't any further ahead. And she sprays 3-4 times depending on the year as do most the farmers here, so she isn't using less chemical at all.

The Economist did a fascinating article about a year ago on the challenges of feeding the world's growing population. GMOs are a huge part of that. To summarize a dense article in 12 words or less, the land itself is pretty close to capacity, in that we're putting all of the fertilizer and such into it that it can absorb. Similarly, the water supply and our ability to get water where it needs to be do not have a lot of room for improvement. The remaining frontier is the crops themselves. It may not be ideal, but it beats starving to death. Remember Malthus from the first day of Econ 101? Numbers grow like 1, 2, 3 while people grow like 1, 2, 4? The world's population is not about to stabilize unless, of course, we run out of food for everyone.

Terri

I read a nice blurb online that pointed out carrots weren't always orange. You know, insinuating that even the organic food isn't natural like nature intended.

It reminded me of this song I used to like, so I googled it and I still like it, by Daniel Amos. Rocket Pack.

It's the eighties, so where's my rocket pack?

Go anywhere, you strap it on your back.

I thought by now we'd walk the moon,

and eat a pill instead of dinner,

and have a robot run the vaccuum,

comunicate a little better...

but we're so far from Lu-u-uve

I read a nice blurb online that pointed out carrots weren't always orange. You know, insinuating that even the organic food isn't natural like nature intended.

An ear of corn used to be the size of my pinkie. And apples. Is there anything more "natural" than orchards full of trees producing fruit from genetically identical grafts? I think the word "natural" should be taken out of play completely.

If farmers actually used Terra preta, the way the amazonians did, they wouldn't need gmos to increase harvest amounts.

But how do you propose capturing and processing the greenhouse gases released from making the massive amounts of charcoal that would be necessary to build up the soil without huge initial investments? When this happens (and I think it very likely will, as it's beneficial on many levels), it's not going to be a ma and pop operation.

ETA: And is it "natural"? :tongue_smilie:

I'm certainly not losing sleep over GMOs. I want to get in on the hype since it seems everyone is absolutely freaking out about it, but it's just not something I'm all that worried about. I HOPE they're not cancer causing (I've seen the pictures where a lab worker is holding up a rat riddled with tumors and it blames GMO)...if anyone has any links showing that GMOs aren't the end of the world health-wise I'd love to see them since it seems all I come across are the fear-mongering hype.

But how do you propose capturing and processing the greenhouse gases released from making the massive amounts of charcoal that would be necessary to build up the soil without huge initial investments? When this happens (and I think it very likely will, as it's beneficial on many levels), it's not going to be a ma and pop operation.

ETA: And is it "natural"? :tongue_smilie:

The Amazonians charcoaled their garbage, worked it back into the earth and it made the terra preta. The terra preta itself, once worked back in captures the greenhouse gasses--I forget the poundage exactly, but it captures more than is made in its formation.

It's really a miracle and archeology shows that the Amazonians were actually SO well fed (in an area that has some of the poorest soil on earth) that they were actually considered lazy by the first colonizers/explorers. The soil did the work for them, they didn't have to work for their food.

It would be very cool if the waste authorities could have customers separate natural waste and then charcoal it. Years ago a ..Finnish? Swedish? Physicist had a website about it, how to build a neutral? furnace out of cans.

Also (just remembering, this was research from long ago) you don't need as much as you think, it actually grows itself after a while.

The Amazonians charcoaled their garbage, worked it back into the earth and it made the terra preta. The terra preta itself, once worked back in captures the greenhouse gasses--I forget the poundage exactly, but it captures more than is made in its formation.

It's really a miracle and archeology shows that the Amazonians were actually SO well fed (in an area that has some of the poorest soil on earth) that they were actually considered lazy by the first colonizers/explorers. The soil did the work for them, they didn't have to work for their food.

Yes, over the long run. But if you're proposing this be done on a large scale in place of "artificial" fertilizers, soil conditioners, etc., that massive amount of charcoal has to come from somewhere in a relatively short timeframe, and in the process, massive amounts of greenhouse gases will be produced. Backyard bio-char production methods are not exactly environmentally friendly.

Yes, over the long run. But if you're proposing this be done on a large scale in place of "artificial" fertilizers, soil conditioners, etc., that massive amount of charcoal has to come from somewhere in a relatively short timeframe, and in the process, massive amounts of greenhouse gases will be produced. Backyard bio-char production methods are not exactly environmentally friendly.

True, they're not at first neutral, but on a scale of bad to worse, they're redeeming, whereas pesticides in water are now even being linked to the spike in food allergies. I guess it's just my opinion that there are worse environmental sins out there right now, with no redeeming qualities, such as the pesticide washout of the Gulf of Mexico, and the water supply.

I'm also wondering if the first initial investment of char would balance out in another way, such as garbage amounts going down, less gas being used to haul waste...

I'm also wondering if the first initial investment of char would balance out in another way, such as garbage amounts going down, less gas being used to haul waste...

The most lucrative biproduct would the potential energy recovery. My point isn't that terra preta/bio-char isn't feasible (I think it is), but rather that it's not feasible on a large scale outside of an industrial context.

I'm certainly not losing sleep over GMOs. I want to get in on the hype since it seems everyone is absolutely freaking out about it, but it's just not something I'm all that worried about. I HOPE they're not cancer causing (I've seen the pictures where a lab worker is holding up a rat riddled with tumors and it blames GMO)...if anyone has any links showing that GMOs aren't the end of the world health-wise I'd love to see them since it seems all I come across are the fear-mongering hype.

GMO is not just one thing. Maybe one GMO product gave that rat tumors.

quote:

Question: Why not label GM foods?

Answer: It’s not that easy. First, there’s no simple or standard definition of “GM†(genetically modified) foods. There are differing legal or regulatory definitions in different jurisdictions and even in different agencies of the same country. Even consumers are undecided about what foods should be labeled. For example, should a food from soybean be labeled if it has been genetically engineered to have another soybean gene in it or only when it has a gene from a non-soybean? Similarly, what if the processed food is identical to the regular version, such as soybean oil, where there is no “foreign†DNA or protein present? Finally, if a product like pizza contains dozens of ingredients and only one of them is from a GM item, should the pizza be labeled as GM?

In the case of pizza, for example, for decades most of the cheese produced worldwide has been GM because it uses an enzyme produced in a bacterium rather than an enzyme from the stomach of an animal. When all pizza is GM because of the cheese, should all pizza be labeled as GM? Food labels are important to consumers and the current policy is to have only health, safety, and nutritional information mandated on the label.

link:

http://www.agribiotech.info/details/McHugen-Labeling%20sent%20to%20web%2002.pdf

I've not seen sufficient evidence either way to form an opinion. I tend to agree that the "x is inherently dangerous/toxic/detrimental" hype is normally just that. I don't believe that my dishwasher detergent is leaving poisonous residue on my dishes, either, despite Sally Fallon's claim (which appears to be data-free). I also don't buy the "newer is better" way. So I try to look at the larger environmental, global health, economic and cultural impacts and see where I want to draw the line on such issues. (Needless to say, most people I know would say I overthink things)

After I read that "avoid dishwasher detergent especially if you are caring for an invalent..." or something like that, it was hard to take the book seriously LOL.

It would be very cool if the waste authorities could have customers separate natural waste and then charcoal it. Years ago a ..Finnish? Swedish? Physicist had a website about it, how to build a neutral? furnace out of cans.

Also (just remembering, this was research from long ago) you don't need as much as you think, it actually grows itself after a while.

That is fascinating

:iagree:

Also, they don't necessarily look for the same things in a vegetable that we might. They focus on shelf stability rather than taste and texture.

I would prefer that GMOs be labeled, I don't think labeling is relevant to whether or not it bothers someone else to eat them, I just believe we have the right to know what we are eating.

Agri business has put a lot of money into fighting labeling.

Oh. I didn't communicate clearly. I was trying to say that if someone says they have a rat that has tumors from GMO food then at the most the rat got tumors from one product produced by gmo. GMO is a process that blends togeather different things. There's a lot of different things made by the gmo process. Maybe you mix some ingredients using the gmo process then one product you created *might* have given a rat tumors. Maybe they gave the rat tomacco, a The Simpsons brand of genetically modified tomato/tobacco hybrid. That doesn't mean the grapples, grape flavored apples are bad (still haven't tried them because they don't look as good as the cantalope sized mangoes, Mmm.,)

I meant to say you can't say GMO food gave this rat these tumors, I don't think. I think you can say we made this batch of goat/fishsteaks and that product gave the rat tumors. I only have opinions from popular articles and my own reading comprehension, that's all.

Are honeycrisp apples GMO?

Honey Crisps are a hybrid, not GMO. They are from cross pollination.

Though there are some recent attempts to sell GMO apples in the US. Someone has created an apple that will not turn brown. It is a GMO for purely aesthetic purposes. I don't see myself purchasing it. We eat a lot of apples here, we don't have an apple waste problem. One of my favorite apples for eating is Golden Delicious, half the time I buy them they don't even look pretty. :lol:

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

The most lucrative biproduct would the potential energy recovery. My point isn't that terra preta/bio-char isn't feasible (I think it is), but rather that it's not feasible on a large scale outside of an industrial context.

Well, it would be hard, there would be obstacles, but I'm always of the opinion that if we landed on the moon, someone smarter than me out there should figure this stuff out. :laugh:

As far as the GMO debate, I think they are awful. I'm happy that most EU countries don't allow them. Y'all can eat em if you want I just want them labeled so I can keep my family away. As it is, I only buy products that are labeled non gmo, and seeds labeled non gmo. And I refuse to buy stock in Monsanto.

Are honeycrisp apples GMO?

Those of you who aren't scared of eating GMO, how do you not get scared by the hype and the rat tumor pictures, etc?

I'm more worried about the phthalates in everything. I can control what I eat, I can only try to reduce the amounts of phthalates.

As far as the GMO debate, I think they are awful. I'm happy that most EU countries don't allow them. Y'all can eat em if you want I just want them labeled so I can keep my family away. As it is, I only buy products that are labeled non gmo, and seeds labeled non gmo. And I refuse to buy stock in Monsanto.

Yes, yes, yes.

What's a phthalate? Off to go google it.

I apologize in advance for any fury that may be expelled after reading about it.

Here's the part that pisses me most off about GMOs. The poor are going to be the ones holding the bag--again. Why? Because that's all they'll be able to access and afford. The trickle down of that is a flaming sin.

I apologize in advance for any fury that may be expelled after reading about it.

Here's the part that pisses me most off about GMOs. The poor are going to be the ones holding the bag--again. Why? Because that's all they'll be able to access and afford. The trickle down of that is a flaming sin.

You are exactly right.

I forgot all about googling your funny word. My computer went nuts just after I posted that above.

Okay, I have a general distrust about plastics in genera. But the phthalates in meat and dairy are just reinforcing my desire for my own goats and chickens when we get out to the farm.