Menu

Recipes using canned soup as a base...or tator tots

lea_lpz

Just for fun, following my "revival" of the Duggar thread on their eating / convienence items usage, share a recipe that you use fairly regularily (anywhere from once or twice a year to weekly)....

Here's the duggar thread in case you don't know what I am talking about.

http://forums.welltr...rs#entry3490974

or a recipe with tator tots :laugh:

Here's mine:

Baked Beef Ravioli (using condensed tomato soup):

2 9oz. packages refridgerated cheese ravioli (or family size)

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef or turkey (perferably lean)

1 lg. onion, diced

3 garlic cloves, diced (or tablespoon garlic salt)

1 tblsp. lemon pepper

1 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained

1 10.75 oz. condensed tomato soup

1 tsp. dried basil, oregano, rosemary and parsely (or fresh herbs to taste or 1 tablspoon Italian Seasoning)

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 oz.)

1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan Cheese

1) Preheat oven to 375. Cook ravioli according to package, drain, return to pan and cover to keep warm

2) Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook ground meat, onions, and garlic over medium heat until meat is brown and onions are tender. Stir in tomatoes, soup, and herbs. Gently stir in the ravioli.

3) Transfer to 3 quart baking dish or leave in skillet if it oven-proof. Sprinkle with mozzerella and paresan cheeses. Sprinkle with more herbs if desired. Bake for 20 minutes and heated through with cheese on top being bubbly.

Really yummy!

I have some others I might post later but need to start doing some paperwork and other more productive things :bored:

One of our favorites, that I only make a few times a year:

Shredded cooked chicken breasts

Cheese

Crescent rolls

Cream of chicken soup

Milk

You mix the shredded chicken with cheese and fill the crescent rolls with the mixture. Then mix more cheese with the cream ofchicken and milk and heat to make a sauce. Pour the sauce over the rolls and bake to make a ridiculously creamy casserole, or like I do for DH bake the rolls and pour the sauce over when you serve, if you have mushy bread issues.

Serious comfort food!

What my mom called goolash.

Cook and drain egg noodles - about one handful per person.

Brown ground beef with chopped onion, chopped celery and chopped bell pepper then add some minced onion. Stir in condensed tomato soup (one can will feed 3, two cans will feed more), a can of water for each can of soup and cooked egg noodles. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Serve in bowls.

Tuna noodle casserole

Egg noodles

6oz home canned tuna, flaked

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup

Peas (we use lots but no strict measurement)

1 cup celery, chopped

Salt and pepper (if I remember, seasonings and I don't have the best relationship)

Mix the CoM with 1 can of water to dilute. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, or directly in the 9x9 baking dish if your casserole-fu is stronger than mine. Bake covered with tin foil at 350 until it smells done and the noodles are soft upon experimental poking.

Awesome! :)

Here's an easy one: One large package boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs); two cans Cream of Chicken Soup, one can Cheddar Cheese Soup. Put chicken in the crockpot, cover with the soups and cook on low 6-8 hours. Season to taste, throw in some veggies if you want. Serve over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.

Chicken pot pie

Ingredients:

pie dough

shredded or cubed cooked chicken

veggies of your choice.... I used to always use a couple bags of frozen mixed, but dd is allergic to corn

cream of chicken soup

milk or heavy cream

salt

pepper

season salt

I can't give you exact measurements because I wing it, and it is different every time. Yummy!

We love tator tot casserole on a cold sunday evening around here. Comfort food!! I grew up in Texas/Ok. It might be a regional thing like Sonic tots with chili and cheese.

Tator tots

ground beef

salt/pepper

cream of mushroom

can of golden mushroom soup

milk/cream/or evaporated milk... whatever you have to thin it out a bit

lots of shredded cheese

My kids are tired of it though. I made it every Sunday night when I worked outside the home full time for a couple of years.

Gravy Steak

Cheap steak, cut into bite-size peices. Put in crockpot and add your favorite seasonings (I use onion powder, garlic, celery seed). Let it cook on low for a few hours, stirring occasionally. 1 hour before serving, add one can cream of chicken soup plus 1 packet of brown gravy mix (stir it into 1 cup cold water as if you were going to just make gravy). Stir and continue to cook on low. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or noodles.

Gravy Steak

Cheap steak, cut into bite-size peices. Put in crockpot and add your favorite seasonings (I use onion powder, garlic, celery seed). Let it cook on low for a few hours, stirring occasionally. 1 hour before serving, add one can cream of chicken soup plus 1 packet of brown gravy mix (stir it into 1 cup cold water as if you were going to just make gravy). Stir and continue to cook on low. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or noodles.

Sounds yummy! I'm going to have to try this. I love to use my crock pot. If I made my own brown gravy, do you think it would work. Dd is allergic to corn and seasoning/gravy packets usually have corn starch/flower in them?

Pork chops with mushroom rice

Brown 1 pork chop per (adult) person for 2-3 minutes on each side.

In a casserole dish, mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can minute rice (nothing else works!), and 1 can water. Stir to combine.

Set the pork chops on top. Cover the casserole with foil.

Bake at 350 for ~30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes. Stir the rice if necessary after uncovering.

I only make this a few times a year, but my mom made it often when we were kids. I like to serve it with acorn squash (cut in half and baked in the same oven) so that the next day I can eat leftover squash stuffed with leftover rice :-)

My mom's enchiladas are the only ones DH will eat.

Brown 1lb beef. Drain and mix with 1can enchilada sauce, 1can c of mushroom soup, and 1 can milk. Add 1/2 of mix to 8" pan. Warm 12 tortillas up. Put 1/2-1 lb shredded cheddar cheddar cheese in tortillas and roll up. Place in pan. Cover with remaining mixture. Top with 1/2-1 lb mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil. Bake 350 for 30 minutes.

More or less. We make it frequently enough that I tend to double and freeze it. And I like lots of cheese in mine.

Do I get extra points if it's made in a crockpot?

Put frozen boneless chicken breasts in crackpot. Cover ei cream of chicken soup. Cook all day on low. 30 minutes before serving, stir in frozen tater tots and cover with shredded cheese. Excellent on a cold day!

Well, I just made a yummy "quick corn chowder" from cans:

Sauté diced onion and green pepper and garlic in butter.

Add 2 cans cream of potato soup and 1 can of creamed corn, 2 c milk and a block of cream cheese. Heat through until cheese is melted.

Sure, it was mostly out of cans, but it was yummy and perfect for after church on a dreary, rainy day.

I am allergic to all of these except Parrothead's. :lol:

We grew up eating a lot of things like this, now there are some health issues. I would hesitate to use that sort of recipe very often even if I wasn't allergic. My siblings and I don't cook like this even though my parents do. Whenever we go home for a visit my stomach is just torn up by it and when I was pregnant I would be vomiting. (not that I am eating the dairy but similar convenience foods)

Sorry if I am being Debbie Downer on the fun food thread, I am just saying, as someone who grew up eating this, it causes problems.

In a casserole dish, mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can minute rice (nothing else works!), and 1 can water. Stir to combine.

I have a similar recipe but it's a can of soup, 1 cup of regular rice, and (I think?) half a cup of water. I might be wrong on the water because I'm guessing without looking up the recipe. It is one of my most favorite foods in the whole, entire world. My mom always made it with chicken. The chicken was good, but I could eat a pan of the rice by myself.

Oh. H3LL. No.

I am allergic to all of these except Parrothead's. :lol:

We grew up eating a lot of things like this, now there are some health issues. I would hesitate to use that sort of recipe very often even if I wasn't allergic. My siblings and I don't cook like this even though my parents do. Whenever we go home for a visit my stomach is just torn up by it and when I was pregnant I would be vomiting. (not that I am eating the dairy but similar convenience foods)

Sorry if I am being Debbie Downer on the fun food thread, I am just saying, as someone who grew up eating this, it causes problems.

Ok, so the purpose of this thread was to share a recipe for the heck of it if you do in fact occasioanlly (or heck, even often) use canned condensed soups / canned cream of whatever, tator tots for easy meals. If you don't, then, well, just don't post one or don't comment and go on your merry way.

I understand that canned foods have less nutritional value than fresh and that organic produce is the best choice you can probably make. I also understand canned soups have high sodium and can be higher in fat (although they do have reduced sodium and reduced fat that taste the same) and yes, in fact, how to make from scratch the soup base I am using to make an easy recipe, but sometimes, even with 3 children and not 19, a quick dinner is nice too have from some staples you probably already have in your freezer, pantry, and fridge. For me, at least. I homeschool, I am in graduate school at 1/2 time pace, and I have my kids in various activities. Reality: I don't make every thing from scratch all the time. And that's ok with me and my family and apparently enough people on this board that I got some responses with a recipe.

In fact, I watched the original "14 Children and Pregnant Again" and this is exactly what Mrs. Duggar said, that it was a quick convience dish they made with on hand items when they didn't have time to make anything from scratch because with a family that size, getting take out when you are too busy or tired to cook is not an option (and I'll admit to not being super mom and having these days, and also, with only 3 kids not wanting to go get take out....)

Let's see...oh, and I'm neutral about tator tots. My husband and sons enjoy them, my daughter hates them, and I will occasionally make them, as in plain tator tots in the oven, not a casserole, or anything, and eat them, but I neither hate them or love them. But, I might just try a tator tot casserole that's a little "upgraded" now just to very well see what the hoopla is about...

Ok, later I'll post a recipe for shepherd's pie and for creamy chicken and veggie casserole using cream of mushroom soup.

I do by the way enjoy cooking and will make a lot of stuff from scratch, usually on weekends or during my breaks from school, sometimes even preparing for the busy days by freezing my own convinence foods, like right now, I have quart size freezer bags of diced turkey, diced ham, pinto beans and some veggie purees I add to a lot of foods, and some quick breads.

This thread reminds me that I grew up loving tuna casserole made with cream of mushroom soup. I haven't had a cream of soup in about 15 years, but I could certainly do a from-scratch version. Hmmmmmm . . .

This article is for you. I was listening to it in the car right before dinnertime one day, and DS7 told me I had to turn it off because it was making him so hungry.

(sorry, I don't have any recipes to contribute :ph34r: )

Ok, so the purpose of this thread was to share a recipe for the heck of it if you do in fact occasioanlly (or heck, even often) use canned condensed soups / canned cream of whatever, tator tots for easy meals. If you don't, then, well, just don't post one or don't comment and go on your merry way.

I understand that canned foods have less nutritional value than fresh and that organic produce is the best choice you can probably make. I also understand canned soups have high sodium and can be higher in fat (although they do have reduced sodium and reduced fat that taste the same) and yes, in fact, how to make from scratch the soup base I am using to make an easy recipe, but sometimes, even with 3 children and not 19, a quick dinner is nice too have from some staples you probably already have in your freezer, pantry, and fridge. For me, at least. I homeschool, I am in graduate school at 1/2 time pace, and I have my kids in various activities. Reality: I don't make every thing from scratch all the time. And that's ok with me and my family and apparently enough people on this board that I got some responses with a recipe.

In fact, I watched the original "14 Children and Pregnant Again" and this is exactly what Mrs. Duggar said, that it was a quick convience dish they made with on hand items when they didn't have time to make anything from scratch because with a family that size, getting take out when you are too busy or tired to cook is not an option (and I'll admit to not being super mom and having these days, and also, with only 3 kids not wanting to go get take out....)

Let's see...oh, and I'm neutral about tator tots. My husband and sons enjoy them, my daughter hates them, and I will occasionally make them, as in plain tator tots in the oven, not a casserole, or anything, and eat them, but I neither hate them or love them. But, I might just try a tator tot casserole that's a little "upgraded" now just to very well see what the hoopla is about...

Ok, later I'll post a recipe for shepherd's pie and for creamy chicken and veggie casserole using cream of mushroom soup.

I do by the way enjoy cooking and will make a lot of stuff from scratch, usually on weekends or during my breaks from school, sometimes even preparing for the busy days by freezing my own convinence foods, like right now, I have quart size freezer bags of diced turkey, diced ham, pinto beans and some veggie purees I add to a lot of foods, and some quick breads.

I didn't post to be a food snob. I was posting in regard to my health issues and we ate this way growing up ALL THE TIME. I wasn't rude. I am the cautionary tale, it isn't fun. I am not super mom either, I am disabled. If that is taken as an attack I don't know what to say.

What you said was

Just for fun, following my "revival" of the Duggar thread on their eating / convienence items usage, share a recipe that you use fairly regularily (anywhere from once or twice a year to weekly)....

and all I was trying to say was that I would not do that very often. I do not actually think it is like loading up the crockpot with Agent Orange and throwing it on some rice.

I don't use organic everything and I don't do everything from scratch and what I do is often due to allergies. It is much different when it is from scratch or not at all. All I was saying was that it isn't something I would do often, which is not an attack.

I use my crockpot as much as anyone does. Heck I even make cream of mushroom soup (with coconut milk) and use it for a couple things once in a blue moon. But me doing that isn't any easier because I have to make the soup.

We do our own tater tot casserole. To be honest, my kids LOVE it and it is the type of meal that sinks to your belly and makes you warm and happy and then you want to crawl on the couch and hibernate. It gets made once every 4-6 weeks here because my kids request it.

Brown a pound of ground beef with chopped onions, 2 TBSP Worcester sauce and 1 TBSP Montreal steak seasoning.

Add in a can or two of cream of mushroom soup (depending on how creamy you want the meat portion) and some milk so it stirs well. I don't add a lot of milk because my kids like it creamy but not soupy.

Layer in a 9x13 the meat, then a bunch of cheese, and then tots on top. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, broil at 450 for 5 minutes (to crispy up the tots).

The only other thing we use tots for is sometimes we make breakfast burritos and I get lazy and don't make up hash browns. Baked tots double nicely for hash browns in a burrito. We usually have cheese, sour cream, scrambled eggs, sausage, maybe bacon, hot sauce, salsa, tomatoes, Valentino's hot sauce, and of course the tots. Yum!

My chicken and rice casserole recipe is easily the most popular recipe I've ever posted on my blog. It has THREE condensed soups in it. When I make it now I buy the organic condensed cream of soups (makes the recipe feel a little healthier!), but apparently a lot of folks are still loving the cream of ________ recipes. Not to mention that this recipe is really, really easy and super, super good!

Oh, I'm actually making one for dinner tomorrow night! My sister and I were just talking about how the recipe has no real name, but we always called it crock pot stuff when my mom made it.

Crock Pot Stuff

ground turkey or beef

potatoes

carrots

celery

onions

cream of mushroom soup

water

salt

pepper

garlic powder

You brown the meat, cut the onions so that they are thin rings, and cut the rest of the vegetables on a slant. My mom always layered everything into the crockpot, but I just kind of toss them in and mix them up and hope for the best. Then you add a can or two of cream of mushroom soup and the seasonings. You can add water till you can see it among the vegetables, or it will be more like a stew than a soup if you leave the water out. It is one of our classic winter meals, normally with a huge loaf of homemade bread on the side.

My chicken and rice casserole recipe is easily the most popular recipe I've ever posted on my blog. It has THREE condensed soups in it. When I make it now I buy the organic condensed cream of soups (makes the recipe feel a little healthier!), but apparently a lot of folks are still loving the cream of ________ recipes. Not to mention that this recipe is really, really easy and super, super good!

I'm going to try this today as we are going to be watching my daughter participate in Christmas parade with her AHG troop today so it'll be perfect to come home too :). I'm going to be very convience food friendly and just toss some cresent rolls in the oven when we get home and steam vegetable medley (carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli) while the chicken and rice coll down.

Pork chops with mushroom rice

Brown 1 pork chop per (adult) person for 2-3 minutes on each side.

Set the pork chops on top. Cover the casserole with foil.

Bake at 350 for ~30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes. Stir the rice if necessary after uncovering.

I only make this a few times a year, but my mom made it often when we were kids. I like to serve it with acorn squash (cut in half and baked in the same oven) so that the next day I can eat leftover squash stuffed with leftover rice :-)

This is one of my husband's favorite meals that I make. He said he never liked pork chops until he had mine, cooked this way. I use regular long-grain rice and it works fine, but I cook it covered for about 1 hour. I also like to saute fresh mushrooms and add them in as well.

We grew up eating this way and I didn't ever experience the "stigma" of eating canned soups until I started posting here. Some of our family favorites are a zucchini casserole for Thanksgiving (cream of chix, zucchini, carrots, onions, stuffing cubes), potato casserole for Easter (diced potatoes, cream of chix, and cheese. lots of it!) enchiladas and chicken/rice casserole (similar to recipes listed above).

I will shamefully admit I made this recipe for the first time a week or two ago and enjoyed it. I won't be a regular on the menu, but I will probably make it again sometime in my life. I know there is something I make that requires tomato soup, but I can't figure out what it is flipping through my regular recipe list. I generally cook from scratch, but I see nothing wrong throwing in the occasional convenience meal.

1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken - prepared as directed

1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces

1 can (10-3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup

1/3 cup BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream

1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed, drained

HEAT oven to 400ºF.

PREPARE stuffing as directed on package.

MIX remaining ingredients in 13x9-inch baking dish; top with stuffing.

BAKE 30 min. or until chicken is done. Enjoy now or cover and refrigerate. To reheat, microwave each serving on HIGH 2 min. or until heated through.

Did somebody call me?

From the "You Can't Make This Up" coincidence department, I was reading this thread and my DS yells out, "Brahmin Noodles! Get it??!!" He's studying a chapter on World Religions.

Ramen noodles. What a thread THAT was!

I added the tag "Ramensnobbery" which got deleted. Tag abuse or abuse of tags or somesuch reason.

I make a roast with a bottle of Molson Canadian, Campbell's beef consomme, and a package of the Good Seasons Italian dressing mix. And some water. And the roast. In the crockpot. In the conservatory. No, I lie. It's in the kitchen.

I'm going to try this today as we are going to be watching my daughter participate in Christmas parade with her AHG troop today so it'll be perfect to come home too :). I'm going to be very convience food friendly and just toss some cresent rolls in the oven when we get home and steam vegetable medley (carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli) while the chicken and rice coll down.

Let me know how your family liked it!

We do our own tater tot casserole. To be honest, my kids LOVE it and it is the type of meal that sinks to your belly and makes you warm and happy and then you want to crawl on the couch and hibernate. It gets made once every 4-6 weeks here because my kids request it.

Brown a pound of ground beef with chopped onions, 2 TBSP Worcester sauce and 1 TBSP Montreal steak seasoning.

Add in a can or two of cream of mushroom soup (depending on how creamy you want the meat portion) and some milk so it stirs well. I don't add a lot of milk because my kids like it creamy but not soupy.

Layer in a 9x13 the meat, then a bunch of cheese, and then tots on top. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, broil at 450 for 5 minutes (to crispy up the tots).

I tried it tonight and every one liked it a lot, and it was quick and easy. I served it with Texas Toast and a green salad with ranch dressing. Very kid friendly ;) lol.

Let me know how your family liked it!

We liked it a lot and the rice cooked through very nicely. Once fluffed a little in the sauce the rice was nice and fluffy but not soggy so that was good. I was nervous about having raw rice. We used chicken fillets instead of tenders but only ended up with 4 breasts in our pack so the kids split them so each had half; seems like 6 would have been perfect with the amount of sauce and rice.

I make this one on Christmas morning as my SIL is allergic to eggs. Other times of year we eat for dinner.

Sausage Casserole

1 lb mild sausage browned with 1 chopped onion and 1 green pepper chopped. Add 2 cans cream of chicken soup and 1 1/4 cup minute rice (uncooked) add half a bag of sharp cheese.Mix all this together and bake covered for 1 1/2 hours at 325. (90 minutes)

another favorite my DD 11 makes on her turn to cook uses 3 can of soup....This always gets rave reviews

Chicken casserole

2 chicken breasts cooked, shredded and put in bottom of 9X 13 pan

combine 1 each cream of chicken, cream of celery, cream of mushroom and 1 can water in pan on stove. Add 1/2 stick butter and bring to boil. Add 1 cup rice and boil for 1 minute before pouring over chicken. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes. Enjoy!