Menu

For those of you who rarely frequent the general board...

You might be interested to hear that the Powers that Be have created a "chat board". If traffic and chatter move there, perhaps the General Board will slow down and become more thoughtful?

Here is a link to Susan's message.

Oh, hooray. I'd totally stopped reading the General Board early this year, because I couldn't wade through the dross to get to what was of interest.

You might be interested to hear that the Powers that Be have created a "chat board". If traffic and chatter move there, perhaps the General Board will slow down and become more thoughtful?

Here is a link to Susan's message.

Huh. Does the General Board need to be more "thoughful"??

There is a lot of chatter on the GB which in turn causes it to move quickly. Some of my peeps over on this board have told me that they don't have time to peruse pages of threads on the GB to look for relevant content.

Let's face it. Most of what is posted on the GB has little to do with homeschooling. And I'll be honest: my most active posts over there are on the reading and crafting threads. But every once in a while something relevant to those teaching high school students does arise, yet many who are busy homeschooling do not see those posts.

I am open to seeing what happens if much of the activity on the GB moves to the lounge.

I've noticed that there are people who use these boards primarily to exchange information while others use them for socializing. My impression is that the second use has grown on the Gen. board to the point that it's crowding out the first. A chat board format is probably a better way of handling conversations anyway.

As a newbie here, I had questions about homeschooling in general that I wasn't sure where to put. It seemed the general board was all chat and very intimidating since everyone seemed to know each other so well and had such strong opinions. So instead of putting general questions there, I put them here since this board seemed to be where people would talk about homeschooling, even though that wasnt technically what this board was for either. When i first started reading the boards, i got the impression that the forums were more like homeschooling vs non-homeschooling topics instead of curric vs general.

As a newbie here, I had questions about homeschooling in general that I wasn't sure where to put. It seemed the general board was all chat and very intimidating since everyone seemed to know each other so well and had such strong opinions. So instead of putting general questions there, I put them here since this board seemed to be where people would talk about homeschooling, even though that wasnt technically what this board was for either. When i first started reading the boards, i got the impression that the forums were more like homeschooling vs non-homeschooling topics instead of curric vs general.

It used to be more curric vs general with an occasional thread on non homeschooling stuff. The non homeschooling threads have really expanded.

And it's just my judgemental side coming out but I've never quite understood a poster with several thousand posts whose oldest kid is in preschool. That's a lot of opinion for someone not quite in the trenches yet.

There is a lot of chatter on the GB which in turn causes it to move quickly. Some of my peeps over on this board have told me that they don't have time to peruse pages of threads on the GB to look for relevant content.

Let's face it. Most of what is posted on the GB has little to do with homeschooling. And I'll be honest: my most active posts over there are on the reading and crafting threads. But every once in a while something relevant to those teaching high school students does arise, yet many who are busy homeschooling do not see those posts.

I am open to seeing what happens if much of the activity on the GB moves to the lounge.

The general board is where I go when I am avoiding doing something IRL and I have exhausted the possibilities for distraction on the high school board. I will also go there to ask about consumer purchases or if someone is struggling and I want to check in. I am also open to seeing what happens if much of the GB activity moves to the the lounge.

I do need to go find your craft thread, Jane. :D

It used to be more curric vs general with an occasional thread on non homeschooling stuff. The non homeschooling threads have really expanded.

And it's just my judgemental side coming out but I've never quite understood a poster with several thousand posts whose oldest kid is in preschool. That's a lot of opinion for someone not quite in the trenches yet.

Well, given how little of the discussion on the General Board is not actually directly related to homeschooling but IS related to living a certain kind of lifestyle that often goes hand in hand with homeschooling, I don't see why it's confusing. Personally, I was once a child and a student as well, so I do have opinions on and experiences with some things even if my kids aren't a given age yet. Some people research a lot and have thoughts to offer, some people ask a lot of questions, etc. We even have posters on the board who have been posting since before they were pregnant! I guess I'm not sure why that requires a judgment.

Well, given how little of the discussion on the General Board is not actually directly related to homeschooling but IS related to living a certain kind of lifestyle that often goes hand in hand with homeschooling, I don't see why it's confusing. Personally, I was once a child and a student as well, so I do have opinions on and experiences with some things even if my kids aren't a given age yet. Some people research a lot and have thoughts to offer, some people ask a lot of questions, etc. We even have posters on the board who have been posting since before they were pregnant! I guess I'm not sure why that requires a judgment.

Or at least not saying it out loud.

Or at least not saying it out loud.

:)

I post all of the time on teen threads even though my ds is only 12. I sometimes think it is good to consider an outside of the trenches opinion...

I find I post LESS on baby and toddler threads now. I have lost my memory of those days it seems! My SIL was asking me how to wean her baby the other day and I was sort of 'um, well, now um, let me remember...' LOL

I post all of the time on teen threads even though my ds is only 12. I sometimes think it is good to consider an outside of the trenches opinion...

I find I post LESS on baby and toddler threads now. I have lost my memory of those days it seems! My SIL was asking me how to wean her baby the other day and I was sort of 'um, well, now um, let me remember...' LOL

Oh goodness, I was just thinking this the other day! I started to talk to someone about baby carriers, and I realized I had no idea what I was talking about anymore and just trailed off :lol: There were things that were so deeply ingrained in my brain that I thought I would have that knowledge forever...but no, it vanishes far too quickly. Kind of like their babyhoods *sigh*

Oh goodness, I was just thinking this the other day! I started to talk to someone about baby carriers, and I realized I had no idea what I was talking about anymore and just trailed off :lol: There were things that were so deeply ingrained in my brain that I thought I would have that knowledge forever...but no, it vanishes far too quickly. Kind of like their babyhoods *sigh*

Well, if you think about it, we research for the stages we're in or will be in, so we stay up on the changes going on there. But we really have no reason to research what's changed where we've already been.

ETA: Besides, people have experience beyond their children.

Well, if you think about it, we research for the stages we're in or will be in, so we stay up on the changes going on there. But we really have no reason to research what's changed where we've already been.

ETA: Besides, people have experience beyond their children.

This. My oldest is 7, but for the last 12 years I have taught dance to 2-18 year olds. I have relationships with teens and tweens and hear all about their school issues daily. I have watched and helped them.do homework. I also teach teens at our co-op....my experience is.not limited to my kids :)

Yes - I have time once in a blue moon...

This reminds me of the 'fast food' and then counteractive 'slow food' movement. :-)

I should have known better than to use the board to comment about the boards. My personal path has been to realize that I'm less of an expert than I thought I was before I had kids, taught them to read, had a teen, had a competitive athlete or had a high schooler. I realize that my path isn't that trod by everyone.

I should have known better than to use the board to comment about the boards. My personal path has been to realize that I'm less of an expert than I thought I was before I had kids, taught them to read, had a teen, had a competitive athlete or had a high schooler. I realize that my path isn't that trod by everyone.

I think that is the part I agree with...I feel like chiming in on topics that I'm currently in the middle of more so than those that I've been through...especially if much time has passed.

I think that is the part I agree with...I feel like chiming in on topics that I'm currently in the middle of more so than those that I've been through...especially if much time has passed.

I haven't had the time or energy to wade through the many posts on the general board to find those I could add something to. Which is something of a shame since there is a wisdom that comes from older experience too. While I have no comment on Life of Fred or a dozen other new programs I can suggest many older books that might be at the library even if no longer on curriculum lists.

I just don't want to fish through politics recipes and vacuums to find those threads.

Well, given how little of the discussion on the General Board is not actually directly related to homeschooling but IS related to living a certain kind of lifestyle that often goes hand in hand with homeschooling,

What a great way of putting it! I'm drawn to the general discussions here because there seem to be so many similar viewpoints, or well-defended and respectfully expressed opposing viewpoints to mine (both of which I enjoy). Also because the issues that come up, even those unrelated to homeschooling, still seem to be issues I relate to or are relevant to my life.

The education/cirriculum discussions have been invaluable to me. But I just "hang out" at the general board to kill time and enjoy some educated and adult conversation.

Not everyone sets themself up as an expert. Esp. on homeschooling. Many of us ask questions. And many of us are able to share a recipe or a craft idea without being Martha Stewart.

I recently suggested a cloth diaper that is longer manufactured LOL

I'm relieved that there's now a chat board. Although I was very active in the non-homeschooling stuff for awhile I haven't been as much since the baby and I've noticed that there was no place for those discussion Jane was mentioning. I think having a separate chat board is a great idea and it's good that we now have space for more general education discussions.

But the General Board has been a mostly-non-schooling board for a while now. Parents with preschoolers still know a lot about kilts and cupcakes! :001_smile:

I welcome the split to different boards. When I was homeschooling full-time I rarely had time for any of the boards, although I lurked a HUGE amount on the high school board (lately) & grade school board (then) and learned so many things. Now that I'm only teaching a couple of classes, I find myself going to the GB (or now, the Chat board) a lot. Entertain me, people!! :rofl:

Kidding aside, it's not just entertainment, but I welcome the opportunity to support people, pray for people, reflect with people, and sometimes think about things in a new and different way.

I don't think this is so. I've read the forum since the days of the "old" old boards, and it seems to be the General forum has always been predominately about non-education topics in about the same proportion as it was on the "new" old board.

I understand the reasoning behind having two different venues, but I don't see any big change about now vs then.

Bill

I don't think this is so. I've read the forum since the days of the "old" old boards, and it seems to be the General forum has always been predominately about non-education topics in about the same proportion as it was on the "new" old board.

I understand the reasoning behind having two different venues, but I don't see any big change about now vs then.

Bill

I think the main difference regarding now and "back then" is the speed at which the General Board moves. Interesting, semi-educational posts were lost because of the traffic on hot topics that often have nothing to do with education. This can be frustrating for those who may post something in the morning, go off to teach the kids, and then return in the afternoon only to find one's query or interesting note completely lost.

In my opinion, a chat room is a good idea.

I don't think this is so. I've read the forum since the days of the "old" old boards, and it seems to be the General forum has always been predominately about non-education topics in about the same proportion as it was on the "new" old board. I understand the reasoning behind having two different venues, but I don't see any big change about now vs then. Bill
I think the main difference regarding now and "back then" is the speed at which the General Board moves. Interesting, semi-educational posts were lost because of the traffic on hot topics that often have nothing to do with education. This can be frustrating for those who may post something in the morning, go off to teach the kids, and then return in the afternoon only to find one's query or interesting note completely lost. In my opinion, a chat room is a good idea.

Bill, your point is well, made. However, I agree with Jane's thinking that the problem (if it's right to call it a problem) is the speed at which the board moves. All the boards move more quickly than in the "old, old" days. I can remember when you could check in on the high school board a couple times a month and not miss a lot. That meant that it sometimes took a day or even a week to get an answer to a question. From what I've seen today, I think the change will work better for everyone. Note to self: check new chat board occasionally just in case Spy Car posts a pic of himself wearing a kilt. :laugh:

I think the main difference regarding now and "back then" is the speed at which the General Board moves. Interesting, semi-educational posts were lost because of the traffic on hot topics that often have nothing to do with education. This can be frustrating for those who may post something in the morning, go off to teach the kids, and then return in the afternoon only to find one's query or interesting note completely lost.

I have no problem with a "chat room," but the General Board moved very swiftly even in the days of the old old board. And then there was no "bumping" of threads when there were new posts, and there would be board flimps, when entire threads were effectively lost. So I don't have rosy nostalgia for the old old days. The new old days I kinda miss.

Bill

:iagree: Back in the olden days (2000-ish), the boards were much less populated and moved a lot more slowly. I'm amazed at the changes I've seen, and I think it's awesome how many people are on now! Many times on the GB a poster would suggest that the OP take the question to the curriculum board, even it wasn't curriculum-related, just to keep it from being completely buried. No reason at all to NOT have a "purely non-educational" board. Most posts were like that anyway. (Although personally, I think I learned an amazing amount on that board, just not necessarily things relating to school. :tongue_smilie: )

Wow. Could you be ANY more insulting?!?!

Many of the members you have just given the finger too have been on the boards for YEARS. They have been READING and LEARNING about educating their children now and in the future.

They have a right (just as much as you) to give answers, advice etc to those who ask questions. Even if the answers/advice is for children older than what they have. Because remember, they have been actively gaining knowledge about ALL sorts of things, not just preschool information.

:iagree:

This reminds me of the old joke that I was a better parent before I had kids.

Yes! I loved the discussion between Joan in Geneva and Regentude about reality dating/character development. Wish that had been on the general board and I caught it sooner!!!!

And now you know why I started this thread. While Regentrude regularly contributes on the general board, Joan does not. Nor does "8". Both are wise women who have helpful and thought provoking things to say.

Jane (who cherishes her board friends)

:D I find that even while I am smack in the middle of teenagers and competitive sports, that I am nowhere near the expert that I would like to be. But then I am not sure I want to be an expert on slacker teens with attitudes.

The worse part is when the wisdom is there,but the latest episode with above teens renders me dumb in the ability to transmit that information. Sometimes I read what I have written here and wonder which child was bellowing that they could not go to practice because they procrastinated on writing a paper due the next day. Talk about disjointed, but I digress from the topic at... :tongue_smilie:

I like 8's posts too and they'd get much more attention on the GB.

Which reminds me, we haven't had massive "Rigor in Homeschooling" or "Meaning of Classical Education" threads lately. Maybe now that the chat board is separate we'll have a return of the massive, I'll never get through this, theory threads.

Lisa (Swimmermom3) is online. We can trust her to start one! ;)

Am I the only one who just clicks New Posts, or View New Content as it is now, at the top of the board and then reads threads that are interesting no matter where they are located? I almost never go directly into a particular forum. The only time I do that is when I've been reading a thread that I don't have time to finish. If I remember to, before I close the thread I'll look up at the top and find out where it is located so that I can find my way back to it later. That helps in the event that it does not come to the top of New Posts when I get a chance to come back to read more. Otherwise I have to search for it, which can be hit or miss, depending on how common the topic is. Normally though, I just run through New Posts and that works for me.

Am I the only one who just clicks New Posts, or View New Content as it is now, at the top of the board and then reads threads that are interesting no matter where they are located? I almost never go directly into a particular forum. The only time I do that is when I've been reading a thread that I don't have time to finish. If I remember to, before I close the thread I'll look up at the top and find out where it is located so that I can find my way back to it later. That helps in the event that it does not come to the top of New Posts when I get a chance to come back to read more. Otherwise I have to search for it, which can be hit or miss, depending on how common the topic is. Normally though, I just run through New Posts and that works for me.

I've tried that and agree that it's a convenient way to keep up with new material, but I tend to get lost--forget which forum I found something in when I don't check in often.

It would be nice sometimes. I for one have been frustrated to have actual homeschooling topics get lost because of the latest brouhaha.

I'm a fan of a nice diversion from time to time, but I'm glad it's going elsewhere so the general board can have homeschooling discussion that is not directly curriculum related.

I admit to being one who has missed the deep (theoretical AND practical) discussions there about educating our kids.

...since everyone seemed to know each other so well ...

Relatively few out of the thousands of registered users "know each other well." It's just that you are seeing posts by a few of the same posters over and over and over again. Please, jump right on in, and don't be intimidated about getting your questions answered! :D

Wow. Could you be ANY more insulting?!?!

Many of the members you have just given the finger too have been on the boards for YEARS. They have been READING and LEARNING about educating their children now and in the future.

They have a right (just as much as you) to give answers, advice etc to those who ask questions. Even if the answers/advice is for children older than what they have. Because remember, they have been actively gaining knowledge about ALL sorts of things, not just preschool information.

I've read Sebastian's posts for years, and never have I "read" an intent to be insulting.

Gaining knowledge is one thing; putting that knowledge into every day practice is very different. Very rarely, I have made suggestions to Moms with kids older than mine, and I've tried to phrase them as questions - "I read about this - do you think this might work with your student?" And I actually don't believe I do have the "right" to advise parents of kids older than mine. (I remember once, when my oldest was only eight, I did give some opinion about something academic to a Mom with a teen, and I cringe, as a Mom of a teen now, when I look back on that)

This what I have always done.