Menu

This is so strange

About 3/4 of Britons don't speak the King's English very well, either - Scots, Welsh, Irish and many of the English.

one of the Brits that struggles :D Favorite movie quote ever (first word on video). If you can call it a word, that is! "I can name that movie in one syllable, Tom."

one of the Brits that struggles :D Favorite movie quote ever (first word on video). If you can call it a word, that is! "I can name that movie in one syllable, Tom."

Or maybe a lot of Brits don't know you all don't celebrate Thanksgiving? I guess he didn't take Latin. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

Or maybe a lot of Brits don't know you all don't celebrate Thanksgiving?

Cameron went to Eton. I find it hard to believe that he would not have been able to come up with a meaning for Magna Carta - he would definitely have learned Latin. The Eton tag has been a weight around his neck, and I wonder if he was playing dumb on purpose.

As for who wrote Rule Britannia..... nope, I've no idea either.

Laura

Well, at least they spoke a kind of English, unlike, say, George I or George II (Hanovers) who spoke that fancy form of English called German.

Was English James Stuart and Henry Tudor's first or second language?

Well, as James Stuart grew up mostly in southern Scotland, he probably spoke Scots, rather than Gaelic. Scots is a combination of ancient Northumbrian English with Nordic, Germanic and native languages. If you think of Robert Burns, then you are working in Scots.

Henry Tudor? I suspect that he was probably bilingual: he was born in Wales of Welsh stock, but grew up mostly in England.

Laura

Amazon.co.uk is running Black Friday deals. In a country that - for obvious reasons - doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving.

Laura

I find it puzzling as well. Why do we in Canada have Black Friday sales on a Friday that is a month and a half after our Thanksgiving? I am always disappointed in the pandering to US consumerism.