Menu

November Decluttering Thread Week Two!!!

Our focus this week will be the master bedroom and bath. Fun fun!!!!! Hope you are all up for a great, productive week!!!! I know everyone's set up is different, so working with what I have posted here, make changes as needed for your bedroom. If you have an extra closet that you would like to tackle, or a linen closet that needs to be organized, this is the time to do it. Our general focus is on the Master Bedroom, however, so be sure to keep your organizing and decluttering focus on those areas and dont get distracted by all the other areas of your house that need focus. We will get to them in coming weeks (i am planning on (not neccesarily in this order) garage, kids' rooms, office/school room, living room but am not totally decided).

I will add to the google doc tomorrow for those of you who like to print it out.

WEEK TWO: MASTER BEDROOM AND BATHROOM

Monday November 12: Day 1

Group Focus: Empty out your closet, or one section if it's large. Place items for donation in one bin, items that are ripped or unwearable in a trash bag. Organize your clothes, determine if you need more hangars.

Optional Focus:

Tuesday November 13: Day 2

Group Focus: Second closet or clothing area (dresser). Do the same thing as yesterday.

Optional Focus:

Wednesday November 14: Day 3

Group Focus: Under the bed OR night tables. Clean out any clutter, wipe down night table, put away any books or magazines that you are finished with. For under bed area, pull out everything and go through.

Optional Focus:

Thursday November 15: Day 4

Group Focus: Empty medicine cabinet and/or under sink area. SOrt, throw away old meds, cosmetics, wipe down entire cabinet, inside and out. Wipe down light switches

Optional Focus:

Friday November 16: Day 5

Group Focus: Time to really scrub the grout in your tiles!!!!! If your sink, toilet or tub has rust stains, use a rust remover to get it off.

Optional Focus:

Saturday November 17: Day 6

Group Focus: Overall Clutter Removal! Going through both Master Bedroom and Bathroom, throw away or put in give away box EVERYTHING small and dust-collecting that is cluttering your life in these rooms. Old trinkets, broken photo frames that you swore you would fix, everything has to go. Okay, not everything.:D

Optional Focus:

Sunday: REST!

Optional:

Oh no...the master bedroom closet. If you ladies don't hear from me by Wednesday, please send a search team...lol

:lol: My thoughts exactly! This job, much like cleaning out under the sink and the junk drawer last week, is one that I continually put off. Time to roll up my sleeves and get it done! Thank you for the motivation:)

well, i have to do our school room next week whether or not that's what you choose, so i'd vote for that.

given the temperature in many parts of the usa and canada right now, skipping the garage might make some sense.... it can be a bit chilly out there, ykwim?

off to work in my closet. sigh....

ann

OK here is my plan. I haven't done anything yet. Will do the closet before the night is over, though. I have been needing to do it anyway.

WEEK TWO: MASTER BEDROOM AND BATHROOM

Monday November 12: Day 1

Group & Optional Focus: Entire Closet

Tuesday November 13: Day 2

Group Focus: Dresser

Optional Focus: Storage chest

Wednesday November 14: Day 3

Group Focus: Night Stands

Optional Focus: Other Desser

Thursday November 15: Day 4

Group Focus: Empty medicine cabinet and/or under sink area. SOrt, throw away old meds, cosmetics, wipe down entire cabinet, inside and out. Wipe down light switches

Optional Focus: Clean all windows and mirrors, clean blinds

Friday November 16: Day 5

Group Focus: Time to really scrub the grout in your tiles!!!!! If your sink, toilet or tub has rust stains, use a rust remover to get it off.

Optional Focus: Deep clean sinks, toilet, bath, shower

Saturday November 17: Day 6

Group Focus: Overall Clutter Removal!

Optional Focus: Bookshelf in room

Sunday: REST!

Optional:

Well, how about that. I tackled my MB walk-in closet before getting to this thread :). OMW so much to throw. This is a dangerous area for me because dh has a lot of stuff that needs to "be dealt with" :D but I think I've handled those things in an acceptable manner.

I'm finding that this house has so much storage space that we are not utilizing well.

My optional project will be to clear the floor along one wall of the MB. Again, trying to find better places to store/stash dh's things.

I got part of last week done. Got bogged down with the pantry and then didn't make it to the refrigerator. However, I did get a lot of extra stuff done (stowed kayaks for season, worked with firewood, helped dm finish a queen size quilt).

My goal this week is to do more than I did last week. Even one more day on schedule would be a success to me. I think I could still finish last week and catch up on this week if I don't get so lost in other extras that are outside my plan.

Dh was home today, so all I got was the bare minimum of my work done, plus a little more firewood. But I promise I will hit it hard tomorrow!:glare:

Got the master closet done, like the pantry, it's something I've done fairly recently so there were some things to take care of, but not too bad.

My extra job is going to be to take done and store the Halloween decorations. DS buys them and puts them up; if I didn't take them down, we would have every holidays decorations year round.

DH won't be home this week and I always struggle with how to handle his stuff, even when he is here. I'll be doing something other than the garage when we get there for exactly that reason.

okay so it's 1030 at night but I did it! both master closets cleaned out. whew. there's a hallway closet that has no shelves in it, into which i have dumped stuff from our move that is vaguely bedroom related, but i need to go through that thi week, and i am off to walmart.com to look for cheap shelving to go inside.

I did the closet over the weekend, so today I worked on my patio. I filled a trashbag and will do the same again tomorrow.

I had each of my girls work on their closets---they did great!

We also started on a bathroom/hallway project. I saw this great idea on pinterest a while a go. I ran across magnet boards for one dollar each at Micheals soon afterwards. They have been waiting in the hallway to be hung up in the bathroom. We had fun magnetizing our makeup and now we have two empty drawers. And I'm hoping a cleaner counter each morning!

Edited by missmoe

I was out of town for the weekend, so I missed the Saturday freezer job. My freezer is in desperate need of a cleaning, so that's the job for today.

I did a top-to-bottom closet/dresser/under bed master bedroom clean at the end of the summer, so this week I'll be doing other nasty jobs. :)

I love getting all of this done and appreciate this thread!!

I'm jumping in here. I wish I could tackle DH's closet since he has WAY more clothes than me (I'm a complete Jeans and t-shirt mom) but he won't let me touch his closet. Mine should take about 10 minutes to clean out. Then I have to tackle the laundry chair. I've had a glider in my room for 4 years to rock my babies but I haven't seen it in about 2.5 years :lol:

I did the dresser. Again, it wasn't the inside (I keep our clothes fairly well cleaned out - or we just never buy any), but the top was a job I had been avoiding. I'm happy with it, we'll see how DH feels when he gets home. I re-homed (not permanently so he can get it back if he's upset - I just put it in the pile) a humidor he he had from college day. He doesn't smoke! We've been talking about it because I don't like the message it sends DS but it never seems to get done.

I got all the Halloween decorations down and mostly packed. I need DH to put them in the garage because there's a system. I will screw it up.

I worked on the patio this afternoon filling one more trash bag. I also worked in the garage--emptying three boxes and making two piles of stuff to give to two different families. I also found two things to sell on the boards here.

And most importantly! I took my give-away stuff to Salvation Army--5 bags. And then I took 2 boxes of homeschooling books to the used bookstore at the library.

I don't know how I missed this earlier this week. Thanks for breaking it down for me!

I am once again off schedule. I did the tub and grout on Mon. I skipped yesterday because we were all sick. So I am jumping back in today.... I will post later. I think I will print out your list. That way I can go back and time myself for 15 min. on the things I missed this weekend before my company comes on Sun. night.

Oh no, I'm so far behind on this! I finally got my kidney stent out yesterday, but all the associated juggling of children and schedules (and post-trauma napping!) threw me completely off. We have a kid friend sleeping over tonight, so I should have some quiet time while the girls all keep each other busy to work on it.

Great idea to print the list to keep track while the boards are down!

Our whole family will be here for dinner next Thursday, I am saving yhe master bedroom for later. I am tackling the entry closet. It is a huge pile of junk!! It will actually take me a couple of hours, but I will get it done. Stuff is going to the attic, the studio, and trash!

I got most of the master closet done and started on the storage chest in our room. For some reason every single time I clean our closet, I get sneezing fits and then end up stuffed up for hours. Not enjoying this at all! What I have left to do is the top shelf in the closet. DH uses it all for his shoes. So, I am not touching that, but I have to do "my side" which, really, is mostly kid stuff that shouldn't even be in there. Working on that. I plan to still squeeze in some more today, so hopefully it gets finished. It was a big disaster in there and I had many things in there that shouldn't even be in a master closet, so It is taking me more time than I thought to do it!

It was a big disaster in there and I had many things in there that shouldn't even be in a master closet, so It is taking me more time than I thought to do it!

This de-cluttering eposide has really caused me to think about why I am keeping things where I keep them. Why did I have my stamping stuff in the master closet? (because it was in a box that got put in the master bedroom when we moved :001_huh:)

I'm really working hard on thinking about things before putting them away!

My dear friend was here last week so I didn't get much done in the kitchen. I had recently cleaned out a lot of it anyways, so that's okay :tongue_smilie:

Then with Veteran's Day on Monday and Bible Study yesterday, we just got school done for the first time in over a week today! I was thiiiiiiis close to not doing my bedroom today, but ultimately decided to set my timer for 20 min. and see what I could get done in my closet. That felt soooo good and made suuuuch a difference!

Tomorrow I will deep clean my bathroom. Should be loads of fun. :D

So glad we have these threads, thanks, Halycon!!!!