Menu

Putting my dog down within the hour . . . :(

Hi Everyone,

My Lab is 13 in Dec. and we've tried so many tests and xrays and the vet still can't figure out what's causing my dog's downward spiral.

I can't keep "trying" because it's killing me and ruining homeschooling -- and dh doesn't like giving pills to a dog who doesn't like getting pills. Plus my boys are probably tired of seeing me sad.

Please remind me that the grief gets better. Right now I feel awful -- like I'll never feel good again.

My dog is on Tramadol and I wish I could be on one too. For this who've used Tramadol -- it is helping him feel better, right?

Alley

Yes, it's helping him feel better.

I put down a beloved childhood pet a few months ago because my parents were moving and the dog was too old to go with (and he was in pain - several tumors and deaf). It was hard but it was right. Hold his paw and remind him that you love him. If your vet is anything like mine, they encourage you to hold him during and to take as much time as you need with him after.

You have my prayers and thoughts. I know it's hard.:grouphug:

I put down a beloved childhood pet a few months ago because my parents were moving and the dog was too old to go with (and he was in pain - several tumors and deaf). It was hard but it was right. Hold his paw and remind him that you love him. If your vet is anything like mine, they encourage you to hold him during and to take as much time as you need with him after.

:iagree: Our vet even brought my big dane a pillow to lay her head on and a blanket because he said sometimes they get a little chill when given the sedatives. :grouphug:

I am so sorry. It is so hard to lose a beloved pet.

Suzanne

:iagree:It DOES get better but you have to go through it to get there. And it takes however long it takes to get there.

I will keep you and your family are in my prayers.

Lots of :grouphug::grouphug: coming your way.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Pet ownership is one of the most wonderful gifts in the world until we hit this stage in our pets lives. I always dread it but wouldn't trade the years with my furry friends for anything. It does get better with time but as one poster said you have to get there first.

Oh, I'm so, so sorry. We just had to make the same decision about two months ago. We still mourn for our beloved yellow lab but we know we made the right decision. It does get easier! I find that taking some time after the event to share favorite memories with other folks who love your dog is a good way to begin the process. I am saying a prayer for you and your family. :grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I am so sorry. It's never easy to do and it hurts like heck for us, but it really does get easier at some time in the future. Grieve for your furbaby just as you would any other loved one. It does help.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

We had to do this in January. I am still raw from it.

As another suggested, have a blanket with you. They can get cold. I sat on the floor with the blanket next to me. My 15 year old Border Collie laid on the blanket with her head across my lap. I cried, spoke lovingly and pet her for hours.

Take your time. My heart goes out to you.

Even when it truly is best for them, it is hard.....

:grouphug:I'm sorry. It's so hard. I haven't had to make that decision in a while, but I remember it being very tough. It helped me to keep busy during the day. Night time was the worst. I absolutely had to read or watch TV until I fell asleep for a while b/c I could not stop my thoughts. :grouphug:

I am so very sorry for your loss.

The Tramadol absolutely helps. My dog is on it. Without it, he is barely able to walk up stairs or down the driveway. With it, he plays like a puppy. He has also taken it after surgery. It is a powerful painkiller.

Helping our animals pass peacefully is the last responsibility of a loving owner. I know the grief is terrible, but it really will get better. :grouphug: