Menu

I searched and read a ton of "budget eating" threads..........

I'm going to have to try the sweet potato black bean burgers in a burrito. Usually even the thought of meatless burgers makes me queasy (no offense to the vegetarians! :tongue_smilie:), but that recipe in a burrito actually sounds pretty good.

Sweet potatoes and black beans together are awesome. I am a huge fan of both...when I splurge on carbs, it is usually a combo of these, and blue tortilla chips.

Oh! Sweet potatoes, black beans, and avocado together are even better!

I need to go eat. :tongue_smilie:

Things I find helpful to eat healthy & not break the budget:

---once or twice a week I fill containers with "salad bar" items (grated carrots, grated cheese, sliced lettuce, chopped onion, etc.) This makes putting together healthy meals-to-go quick & easy. Vegetables such as tomatoes, bell peppers, & cucumbers I slice only when I want them.

---Once a week I cook a big roast. The left-overs I slice or shred for lunches. Each week I choose the type meat that is on special.

---Little bits of left-over get frozen in silicon muffin liners to use in lunches.

I've begun taking bento-style lunches when I work. It's easy to put together & looks good (many fellow teachers comment about my lunches in the staff room ;)) I find these lunches healthy & very filling, even though they don't look that big. The commonly recommended size Bento box for an adult women is 600ml. That looks tiny, but when filled properly it is really enough. I don't have any proper Bento boxes, but use plastic containers I had at home. I put a layer of chopped lettuce on the bottom. On top of that I put a silicon muffin liner with some protein (chopped left-over roast or chickpeas) in one corner & another silicon muffin liner with some fruit (chopped kiwifruit, berries, grapes, etc.) in the opposite corner. The other two corners I fill with grated carrot, chopped bell pepper, grated cheese, etc. A small (~2Tbsp) container of dressing fits snugly in the center. When its time to eat I remove the container of fruit & mix everything else together. Yummy & good for you & your budget, too :D.

Other Bento box lunches could make use of left-overs that you heat up for a hot treat. Ds#1 often takes such lunches. A traditional Bento box is 3 parts rice, 2 parts veg., & 1 part protein. I usually aim for 3 parts veg., 2 parts protein, & 1 part carb. http://www.justbento.com has tons of great ideas.

For my boys' lunches I make wraps from my fridge salad bar as they find eating a salad much too difficult at work/school. Tortillas seem to hold more veggies & keep fresher longer than bread. I use any left-over protein in their wraps. One of ds#2's favorites contained left-over curry (not enough for a meal, but perfect for a wrap.)

As far as budget stretching meal ideas:

***make a weekly meal plan

***one meal a week of homemade soup

***one meal a week beans / rice

***use your slow-cooker a lot

***cook a big roast weekly, with the idea that it will last for several meals (1-2 dinners, lunches, & the weekly soup night) Use what ever meat is on special that week.

***Use your oatmeal to make muffins for snacks.

HTH,

Dried beans are totally worth the small effort of pre-soaking and cooking.

Also, a crock-pot is your friend. You can throw just about anything (including pre-soaked beans) any vegetable, and any meat into a crock-pot with a little liquid, and then walk-away knowing in 8 hours (on low) there will be a hot meal that will hold for hours more.

The crock pot is best with the cheapest-toughest cut of meat. And beans are almost fool-proof.

If you don't own one they can usually be found dirt-cheap at thrift stores.

Bill

Transportable salads: just leave out the lettuce and use whatever else you want to put in. Chop tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, radishes; shred carrots, cabbage, beets; add chopped apples or orange sections.

Cheap low-carb/paleo:

Lots of veggies and very little meat. I find that grains and starches make me hungrier, but veggies alone don't. Store-brand frozen veggies are easy and quick.

I shop at HEB, but comparable deals like these probably can be found elsewhere: bags of frozen fish fillets for around $7, 2-lb. bags of frozen shrimp for around $6. (These things are cheap either because they're about to expire, or they're not organic and were farmed somewhere in Asia. Wild-caught and fresh would of course be way more expensive.)

Sorry you're going through this, Joanne.

Bill!! You own & use a crock-pot???!

Also, a crock-pot is your friend. You can throw just about anything (including pre-soaked beans) any vegetable, and any meat into a crock-pot with a little liquid, and then walk-away knowing in 8 hours (on low) there will be a hot meal that will hold for hours more.

The crock pot is best with the cheapest-toughest cut of meat. And beans are almost fool-proof.

Bill

Bill!! You own & use a crock-pot???!

I've used one for way longer than most of you have been alive. For decades I used it all the time. I love beans, and stews, and other slow-cooked items.

Since the issue with the glazes came up the crock-pot has mostly been on hiatus in favor of a Le Creuset enamled cast-iron pot. But the pot lacks the just walk away" factor, which is huge. If I was under the pressures Joanne is in the crock-pot would be back in action.

A cheap chuck roast, a splash of Two Buck Chuck, onions, a head of garlic, and (bit of a luxury) mushrooms, maybe some root vegetables, and a couple hours later a delicious meals.

I love crock-pots.

Bill

I've used one for way longer than most of you have been alive. For decades I used it all the time. I love beans, and stews, and other slow-cooked items.

Since the issue with the glazes came up the crock-pot has mostly been on hiatus in favor of a Le Creuset enamled cast-iron pot. But the pot lacks the just walk away" factor, which is huge. If I was under the pressures Joanne is in the crock-pot would be back in action.

A cheap chuck roast, a splash of Two Buck Chuck, onions, a head of garlic, and (bit of a luxury) mushrooms, maybe some root vegetables, and a couple hours later a delicious meals.

I love crock-pots.

Bill

What is Two Buck Chuck?

Bill

Hi, Bill.

I've used a crock pot with great success over the years, but never for dried beans. My current crock pot cooks too quickly; I may have to cruise a thrift store on Saturday for a new to me one.

Between yours and Audrey's post on beans, I will not only be trying it (starting with pinto), but teaching the kids how to make their own refried. :)

Here are two of my favorite cheap recipes. The prices are for organic/grass fed, so these are extremely cheap when using conventional ingredients:

Hamburger Steak Soup

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook

8 servings

Ă‚Â½ lb ground beef (1.63)[/e.

I am going to try this one!

:iagree:

I get three meals for MY family out of 2 rotisserie chickens. (they are 4.99 at Costco). I use the organic froz veggies, and rice to round out the meal.

first night we eat it as roast chicken, second night I make what we fondly call chicken slop (of which all the ingredients are bought at Costco) :

garlic, onions, mushrooms sauteed, add leftover chicken (keep the carcass) and a little bit of water to make it brothy, add froz veggies. When that is done simmering, I top it with heavy cream, stink cheese, and pour it over pasta. If I have the time and energy, I throw the mix into a casserole dish, top with buttered breadcrumbs and bake.

the third night I make pasta fagioli by making a broth with the carcasses, then adding grated carrots, beans, and small pasta.

10 for chickens.

6. for organic froz veggies (it's a HUGE bag easily 2-3 meals)

4. for a qt of mushrooms

2. for pasta (they sell pasta in 6 lb bundles, for 6 bucks)

3.5 for qt of heavy cream

1. for beans

4. for a 10 pound bag of blue ribbon rice

5 for 20 pounds of carrots

so, roughly 35 dollars for three meals-, and we always eat the leftovers for lunch the next day, so it's technically 33 dollars for 6 meals (and that's feeding 8 of us, though only 7 for lunches-so it'd go further for you).

Very helpful! Thank you! I will print this off, tweak to fit my family.

For beans, they can be super cheap and easy if you have a crockpot. Just soak beans in cold water before you go to bed. Then, before you leave the house, dump the soaking water, dump the beans in the crockpot and cover with enough fresh cold water to cover by 2 inches. Then turn the crockpot on low and let it do its thing. Don't add salt until the last 15-30 minutes of cooking. I salt them, then turn the crockpot off, then make the rest of the meal, then dish up the beans last. They're good and tasty then.

For just cooking up a batch to keep on hand, they are best in the fridge, not so hot frozen, IMO. Beans will keep about a week in the fridge. My fave beans for weekly bulk cooking are pintos. If your kids like refrieds, it's easy. Just heat a skillet, add a bit of oil or butter, dump in beans with a bit of the liquid too, and start cooking. Mash beans with the back of a spoon as you stir until they're hot and bubbly, and there you go.

I can do that. I need a new (to me) crock pot, but I can do that. Thank you.

What is Two Buck Chuck?

Charles Shaw, cheap wine sold at Trader Joe's. It was originally sold for $1.99 in California, but the price varies state by state.

Hi, Bill.

I've used a crock pot with great success over the years, but never for dried beans. My current crock pot cooks too quickly; I may have to cruise a thrift store on Saturday for a new to me one.

Between yours and Audrey's post on beans, I will not only be trying it (starting with pinto), but teaching the kids how to make their own refried. :)

Yea, I understand the old ones are way better (because the temps are lower). Good news is thrift stores probably have old ones. I see them all the time here. Cheap.

The old style crock pots are pretty much unbeatable for dried beans. An overnight (or all day) soak is good. With Pinto beans (especially) it is good to soak them then rinse them really well. I usually cook Pintos until near tender, then drain rinse and cook with fresh water and seasonings to finish. The changes of water make the Pintos less "earthy." When cooking into a stew or chili in a crockpot don't work about the second water change.

BTW Garbonzo beans (aka Chick Peas) do very well in the crockpot (very hard to overcook) and do well with a lot of treatments including curries.

The good thing is you can throw almost whatever fresh ingredient you have on hand into a crockpot with little thought to recipe or technique and it will turn out pretty darn good with vary little investment of time.

Beans are very nutritious. And there are so many varieties. If you use different beans everyday (rather than Pintos) you won't feel like you are in a "rut" since taste, color, and textures vary so much.

If you have an Indian grocery nearby (and you have time to shop) they often are inexpensive places to purchase a wide variety of beans. Middle Eastern markets as well. Bags of beans at standard supermarket are generally the worst choice as the price tends to be higher and (more significantly) the quality is generally lower, and it makes a difference on the eating end.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

For beans, they can be super cheap and easy if you have a crockpot. Just soak beans in cold water before you go to bed. Then, before you leave the house, dump the soaking water, dump the beans in the crockpot and cover with enough fresh cold water to cover by 2 inches. Then turn the crockpot on low and let it do its thing. Don't add salt until the last 15-30 minutes of cooking. I salt them, then turn the crockpot off, then make the rest of the meal, then dish up the beans last. They're good and tasty then.

For just cooking up a batch to keep on hand, they are best in the fridge, not so hot frozen, IMO. Beans will keep about a week in the fridge. My fave beans for weekly bulk cooking are pintos. If your kids like refrieds, it's easy. Just heat a skillet, add a bit of oil or butter, dump in beans with a bit of the liquid too, and start cooking. Mash beans with the back of a spoon as you stir until they're hot and bubbly, and there you go. Really good, really cheap. Season with whatever you like. Personally, I just eat them like that and mix in some tabasco because I like them spicy.

Yep.

@Joanne, if you made a batch of bulk Pintos as Audrey suggests (which is a good idea) then do rinse the Pintos well with fresh water after they are done cooking and store them "clean" (without liquid). For many beans this is not necessary, but for Pintos it is a big plus. When you make the frijoles you can mash add in some water and fry with oil or fat.

Bill

Yep.

@Joanne, if you made a batch of bulk Pintos as Audrey suggests (which is a good idea) then do rinse the Pintos well with fresh water after they are done cooking and store them "clean" (without liquid). For many beans this is not necessary, but for Pintos it is a big plus. When you make the frijoles you can mash add in some water and fry with oil or fat.

Bill

Another vote for that. And don't use the soaking water to cook them. But I think Audrey already said that.

It's obvious that one would mash the beans with a potato masher, right? I mention it it, because when I first started mashing cooked beans years ago, I was using a fork. ;)

its soup weather, too :001_smile:. soup is cheap, easy, nutritious and filling.

eg. butternut squash is on sale this week. get one, a couple of apples, an onion, a carrot, some garlic and a box of chicken stock (or boil up the carcass after you've had three meals from the chicken, and voila)

i poke holes in it and microwave it to cook it, as i am not in to cubing uncooked squash. then, when its done, i scoop the seeds and feed them to the chickens. then i scoop the flesh into a pot with everything else, cook some more and then blend in the blender or food processor.

that should give you a week of lunches or dinners, esp. if paired with a sandwich or crackers with toppings. (protein).

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-soup-10000001918519/

or

http://localfoods.about.com/od/soups/r/squashsoup.htm

hth,

ann

Another vote for that. And don't use the soaking water to cook them. But I think Audrey already said that.

It's obvious that one would mash the beans with a potato masher, right? I mention it it, because when I first started mashing cooked beans years ago, I was using a fork. ;)

My point was, you never use the soak water to cook with, but with Pintos especially (vs other types of beans) it is good to get rid of the cooking water too if possible, and to rinse then clean before finishing them off by mashing or doing a final cook with seasoned whole beans.

My family likes what I call "Hobo Beans", which are Pintos cooked until near tender, then drained and well-rinsed, then finished with brown onions, lots of fresh garlic, tomatoes (either fresh-cooked or whole canned), spices to taste, and just a touch of liquid smoke. Then they are cooked whole until done. They have sort of a "over the camp-fire" quality that is kind of good.

I'm just harping on the rinsing of Pintos, because that's the kind of guy I am :D

Bill

Oh, and I use a potato masher too (not a fork) if I want a rustic style. For a smoother texture an emersion blender works great, but those are optional.

Bill

My point was, you never use the soak water to cook with, but with Pintos especially (vs other types of beans) it is good to get rid of the cooking water too if possible, and to rinse then clean before finishing them off by mashing or doing a final cook with seasoned whole beans.

My family likes what I call "Hobo Beans", which are Pintos cooked until near tender, then drained and well-rinsed, then finished with brown onions, lots of fresh garlic, tomatoes (either fresh-cooked or whole canned), spices to taste, and just a touch of liquid smoke. Then they are cooked whole until done. They have sort of a "over the camp-fire" quality that is kind of good.

I'm just harping on the rinsing of Pintos, because that's the kind of guy I am :D

Bill

I rinse as well. I got caught up in the moment. :tongue_smilie:

I rinse as well. I got caught up in the moment. :tongue_smilie:

Sometimes it's the little things take make all the difference.

Since we have beaten beans to death, I feel that root vegetables like parsnips, rutabagas (swedes), and turnips are really nice in stews. I like a clove in beef stews too. Gives the dish a thing, you think?

Bill

Since we have beaten beans to death, I feel that root vegetables like parsnips, rutabagas (swedes), and turnips are really nice in stews. I like a clove in beef stews too. Gives the dish a thing, you think?

Bill

Yes. Root veggies in stews. My mouth is watering thinking about the stew I made a few months ago with the most tender spring turnips. Comfort food.

For just cooking up a batch to keep on hand, they are best in the fridge, not so hot frozen, IMO. Beans will keep about a week in the fridge. My fave beans for weekly bulk cooking are pintos. If your kids like refrieds, it's easy. Just heat a skillet, add a bit of oil or butter, dump in beans with a bit of the liquid too, and start cooking. Mash beans with the back of a spoon as you stir until they're hot and bubbly, and there you go. Really good, really cheap. Season with whatever you like. Personally, I just eat them like that and mix in some tabasco because I like them spicy.

Can you get bacon cheap? Teach the kids to cook up batches in the oven. Heat oven to 400°F, line a cookie sheet with foil. Lay out strips of bacon on the foil. Bake in hot oven for 10-20 minutes depending upon how thick the bacon is and how crispy you like it. It takes about 2 cookie sheets to cook a pound of bacon. Just take the strips off the foil to drain on paper towels, and drain the extra grease into an empty can. Then, lay out more strips of bacon and stick it back in the oven. Repeat as often as necessary. Cooked bacon freezes excellently. You could take some with you for protein in salads, or if you have microwave access, can heat some up.

If you like hard-boiled eggs, cook some up when you come home at night, peel and refrigerate. Take with you for snack or salads. They will keep for about 4-5 days in the fridge.

ETA: My fave high protein lunch is pinto beans with shredded cheddar on top. Heat that up and add a chopped hard boiled egg.

AND when you make both the beans and the bacon, save that bacon fat in the fridge. When it's time to make your refrieds, use a scoop of the bacon fat to add an amazing depth of flavor.

I always start chowders, as well as many soups and stews with a tablespoon of bacon fat. Adds flavor, richness, and is something that would normally be discarded. I always have a jar or two in the fridge- it lasts for months.

Not the op but I would love to see a link!

Have you seen these salads in a jar?

http://www.thekitchn.com/salad-in-a-jar-make-a-week-of-lunches-173014

A friend does them(a real life person) and swears by them.

We failed low carb due, but when we did I made the "fast food" salads from a low carb website, but ti wouldn't meet your Whole 30 criteria or tight budget criteria, I don't believe. 1/4-1/2 pound meat per salad, but everything else was cheap enough...

They did travel well though. I made them the night before, my husband left for work around 3a and ate them around 1-2. Said they were great.

I have a child to attend to, but if you're curious I can dig up the link later.

I just use the back of my big spoon, but I like my refrieds on the chunky side, not purĂƒÂ©ed.

Bill

I rinse all beans of the soaking water, but I've never rinsed pintos of their cooking water. I like the soupy-ness it makes and it has good flavour of its own.

Just my taste, although I think I'll give it try sometime just to see what your version is like.

Bill

For me, stew is the best use of a turnip. The long slow cooking takes all the bitter out of it, making it a sweet little surprise in the stew.

As for seasoning stews, a bit of thyme and a pinch of nutmeg just makes a beef stew sing, AFAIC.

ETA: There was recently a thread on brisket in the crockpot, Joanne. That's a good option. You can't really overcook one of those!

Edited by Audrey

We're on a tight budget too. I shop at Aldi's and sam's club (my MIL gave us her second card). We keep meals very simple. Eggs and Bacon for breakfast every morning (I buy 10 pounds of bacon at a time at sam's- will last 2 months. ~$3.33/pound. 90 eggs is ~9 dollars.) My husband and I have leftovers for lunch. I do make the kids grilled cheese or quesadillas for lunch. Our dinners are usually frozen veggies- or in season, on sale veggies with a meat- usually ground beef or chicken. I'll buy a whole chicken and stretch it over 2 meals plus make bone broth and have soup. I'll buy the fattest beef possible. I save the bacon grease and use that to cook in. Our favorite meals:

Melt in your mouth chicken and baked green beans (canned, so good)

taco bowls or taco salad

chicken fajita bowls

breakfast for dinner (at least once a week): eggs, sausage, and oopsie waffles (these are made with whipped eggs and cream cheese).

meatloaf

chili

white chicken chili

We have a store that does b1g1f meats every month. It is Safeway which I know has a bunch of other names like Ralph's, Von's etc. They are usually big packs. We don't eat much meat. So, when I do I make it last. I might take a big roast and cook it in the crockpot in a few different ways:

A. Pour a jar of pepperoncini or banana peppers over the top. cook all day and serve on buns, rolls, homemade bread. Turn the leftovers into one casserole with pasta, mushrooms, a little sauce, whatever cheese you have. These can be made up in the morning and baked later or put in small dishes to nuke. Then the third meal is broth, meat, frozen mixed veggies..aka soup.

B. toss roast in crockpot. Cover with one pack of au jus. NO WATER. Cook all night on low and it looks like crap in the morning. cover with water and cook all day. It falls apart. Serve on rolls with broth. Add more water as people eat it and it will make tons of broth. I turn the leftovers into soup as well. I use frozen italian blend of veggies. I pick those up when they are $1

C. Roast or chicken chucked in the crockpot with a large can of enchilada sauce and whatever canned beans you have...chili beans are a nice touch. serve in torttillas, as burritos, over rice...

My kids love chili so I can make a huge crock with dry beans. They can eat it on tortillas, over chips, over baked potatoes, chili cheese fries or tots.

I find homemade pizza is cheap if you buy the stuff on sale or in bulk. I can make a homemade pizza for maybe 3 bucks. I don't do a lot of cheese. The dough can be kept in the fridge for 2 days. So maybe your kids would enjoy making dough. I do have a big mixer but it isn't hard by hand.

I rinse all beans of the soaking water, but I've never rinsed pintos of their cooking water. I like the soupy-ness it makes and it has good flavour of its own.

Just my taste, although I think I'll give it try sometime just to see what your version is like.

Pintos reacquire a "soupy-ness" fairly quicky after the the cooking water is rinsed, this is different than most other beans. And if you need more "soupy-ness" yet, a small number can be mashed. The second rinse gets rid of most of the sugar-starches that cause people digestive problems and reduces the "dirt" flavor that some people (talking about you Ellie :D) find objectionable.

For me Pintos are a "special case" in this regard.

Bill

Buying in bulk:

Beans - soak and cook once a week. Keep batch refrigerated.

Cook rice once a week in a quantity that will be enough. May take some experimenting. (Rice is fairly low on GI)

Quinoa is another inexpensive grain that can go a long way, so is Buckwheat.

Soak all of these in a slightly acidic medium and then cook in water until soft.

Buckwheat is actually not even considered a grain so it may suit you better.

You can sautee and mix in any combination of carrots, root vegetables i.e rutabaga, turnip, beets, cabbages. These are all rather inexpensive veggies and they are coming into season now.

Make chicken broth (can be made from a smaller game hen) and will serve as a soup base or sauce base and flavors a variety of dishes.

I just use the back of my big spoon, but I like my refrieds on the chunky side, not purĂƒÂ©ed.

I can remember working in friends totally unequipped kitchens when I was younger and turning to glass jars (like spaghetti sauce jars) as a mashing tool :D

Works pretty well if there is not a disaster.

Bill

I have found it helps to keep it simple. Find any meat you can on sale. When you can, use with beans. Out tacos are always ground beef and black beans mixed.

I spend much less when I stay simple. Meat, potato, green beans. Chicken, rice, broccoli.

Chili, chowder, soup = cheap.

I made a really tasty beef, green pepper, onion mixture in the crockpot. Served over rice. I added some steamed broccoli on the side. Kroger has large bunches of broccoli for 99 cents.

I know you are low carb, and it is hard on a budget. Thinking about your kids, can you buy bananas cheap and serve with peanut butter?

I love canned tuna but to keep it from getting boring, I like to season it different ways for variety:

1. Savory: tuna, dill, dill relish, onion, hard boiled egg (if on hand), just a bit of mayo to hold it together

2. Sweet: tuna, tarragon, diced sweet onion, some combination of diced apple/grape/dried cranberry, walnuts or almonds, a bit of mayo

To save on carbs I eat my tuna on cucumber slices and/or with celery sticks.

Another cheap filling dish that is low carb is what we jokingly call "Pasta-less pasta stuff." I sautĂƒÂ© some combination of zuchini, yellow squash, onions, mushrooms, green/red peppers, and garlic. I add this and either ground sausage, ground beef, or sliced sausage to spaghetti sauce and we don't even miss the pasta.

Edited by AndyJoy

I baked a large piece of ham - it was half price. I cut it in half after I baked it and froze half to use in a few weeks. I made a thick root veggie soup with ham grease, water, whatever veggies were cheap, cheap mixed herbs and pearl barley. We've had that for three lunches and the boys will eat it again today while I'm at work.

I used cubes of ham in fried rice for one evening meal for four - the other ingredients were (bulk bought) rice, two eggs, scallions, garlic and frozen peas.

I cut some ham thin for sandwich lunches - so far one lunch for three people.

Tonight I'll make split pea soup with cubes of ham, dried peas and onion.

The ham's still going strong. After the pea soup, there will be at least enough for one, probably two more meals for four. I might saute cubes with garlic and toss it with whole grain pasta.

So, Ă‚Â£5 worth of ham will have lasted us around a week, with inexpensive additions.

When I was a child, my mother would roast something on Sunday and we would eat the leftovers for most of the week.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

this link on pinterest has inspired me. I eat a lot of the same on a low carb menu. Same breakfast, same lunch, same snacks, dinner varies. It helps me maintain my sanity & budget. I like the idea of preparing everything in advance so all I have to do is grab and go. I probably would use plastic baggies because I don't think I have enough plastic tubs. Lunch in a bag. :D And assembly line production is supposed to be most efficient.

another link.http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2011/08/how-to-make-mason-jar-meals-part-2/

P.S. Sorry about the tushy, just stay on the pinterest board and you'll get the idea. :001_huh:

Edited by CalicoKat
added 2nd link

this link on pinterest has inspired me. I eat a lot of the same on a low carb menu. Same breakfast, same lunch, same snacks, dinner varies. It helps me maintain my sanity & budget. I like the idea of preparing everything in advance so all I have to do is grab and go. I probably would use plastic baggies because I don't think I have enough plastic tubs. Lunch in a bag. :D And assembly line production is supposed to be most efficient.

Clicked on the link. Wow. Someone sure is proud of her tushy :001_huh:.

another link.http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2011/08/how-to-make-mason-jar-meals-part-2/

P.S. Sorry about the tushy, just stay on the pinterest board and you'll get the idea. :001_huh:

Any tips on keeping salad fresh? I get the big box CHEAP at Sam's but it is bad in less then a week.

So, please understand I've done my "due diligence" and do not want to insult the hive with yet another "can't you use the search feature" post on budget eating.

MY thread on the topic is unique. ;);)

My preference would be to do a Whole30 or low carb and finally lose weight. But, that is not possible from a planning or budget or logistical standpoint right now.

We, and myself included, need to eat from what we have and as cheaply as possible for the foresable future. My budget has been hit, hard, and I did not anticipate the hit in order to plan. (Yes, an arguement could be made that I should always expect this particular hit :glare:).

Here are my particulars:

1. I don't have time to coupon.
  2. I don't have time to cook from scratch, although I can plan meals.
  3. I am currently not the one making meals Monday - Thursday. The kids (all teens) take turns. I am working those nights.
  4. I eat all my meals M-Th "out". My schedule is rather, um, cumbersome. If it is pertinent, I can post it. Or you can trust me.

At 2 of my jobs, I have access to refrigeration (limited space) and microwaves.

The kids are not "picky" but are not exotic, ethnic (unless you count some Mexican food) food eaters. Meat, starch, veggies for them.

Oh, and your ideas for adding protein to oatmeal are welcome. I have a lot of packages of instant Quaker that I need to use but carb-based meals are counter productive to me.

So, suggestions for shopping? Planning?

Slow cooker. Have the kids prepare the ingredients the night before. Have someone add everything to the pot first thing in the morn. Tada!